Off-Topic Skincare - let's sperg about routines and products

• Order for the new server will be going in ASAP. Performance will be rocky until then (rip).
N

NP 901

kiwifarms.net
Nah screw shaving/dermaplaning both make my skin act weird or get bumps. The #1 thing in my routine for great exfoliation has been combo AHA/retinoids. AHA for exfoliating the top layers of my skin, retinoids for deeper stimulation.

On the more hippie/woo side of things, humectants such as hyaluronic acid have never worked for me. Recently I started just using raw honey mixed with a little aloe gel and I like it 10x more. I also found that formulating my own vitamin c serums at home (using powdered l-ascorbic acid) has been a lot better than buying product that'll oxidize before I use it up. If I could make my own retinoids/AHAs I totally would. Making your own shit at home is super easy. All you need is a drug scale and some pH strips and you're halfway there.

sweetie_squad_4_lyfe

Unironic Weeb Trash
kiwifarms.net
Are we allowed to ask for product recommendations here too? I have oily, acne prone skin so I usually use drying products. Lately, however, I've been getting dry, flaky skin around my chin and the sides of my eyes. I'm pretty sure it's from windburn cus it's cold n windy as heck here. is an occlusive moisturizer also automatically comedogenic?

The best kept secret to women aging well- shave your face once a week at least. Everything except your eyes. There's not a better exfoliater and after being picked on for years for believing and practicing that (still baby smooth and wrinkle free), women are now paying a shit load of money for regular dermabration or dermablading.
and wearing sunscreen. the sun is evil and will age you.

Reactions: Hellion

Candidae

kiwifarms.net
Are we allowed to ask for product recommendations here too? I have oily, acne prone skin so I usually use drying products. Lately, however, I've been getting dry, flaky skin around my chin and the sides of my eyes. I'm pretty sure it's from windburn cus it's cold n windy as heck here. is an occlusive moisturizer also automatically comedogenic?
You're likely overdrying your face right now which could even result in making it oilier. If not, I'd recommend putting Vaseline on the dry patches at night. Really helps for me and it won't clog your pores. When I was a kid my mom would put a light layer of Vaseline on my face before going out in the winter. It certainly does help but you have to be careful or your face will look very shiny (I've personally given up on that but hey, maybe it'll work for you)

sweetie_squad_4_lyfe

Unironic Weeb Trash
kiwifarms.net
You're likely overdrying your face right now which could even result in making it oilier. If not, I'd recommend putting Vaseline on the dry patches at night. Really helps for me and it won't clog your pores. When I was a kid my mom would put a light layer of Vaseline on my face before going out in the winter. It certainly does help but you have to be careful or your face will look very shiny (I've personally given up on that but hey, maybe it'll work for you)
yeah it's weird cus my forehead n nose are shiny and oily but then my chin n sides of my face are dry and flaky. ill try the vaseline thanks :)

Candidae

kiwifarms.net
yeah it's weird cus my forehead n nose are shiny and oily but then my chin n sides of my face are dry and flaky. ill try the vaseline thanks :)
Ah yeah, combination skin. I used to have that too. The main reason people get it is due to overdrying their skin. I'd say use a less harsh cleanser and use any old moisturizer right after like ponds (then Vaseline for the dry patches) and see how that works after a month or so. Or at the very least make sure to really moisturize after drying your skin out because the oil on your face is your face trying to moisturize itself basically because it's dry

sweetie_squad_4_lyfe

Unironic Weeb Trash
kiwifarms.net
Ah yeah, combination skin. I used to have that too. The main reason people get it is due to overdrying their skin. I'd say use a less harsh cleanser and use any old moisturizer right after like ponds (then Vaseline for the dry patches) and see how that works after a month or so. Or at the very least make sure to really moisturize after drying your skin out because the oil on your face is your face trying to moisturize itself basically because it's dry
yeah I got a hydrating, gentle gel cleanser from aveeno and I have some cold pressed rose hip seed oil that I need to use more.

cuddle striker

please wait what is your genotype
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
oil slick reporting in.

morning:
Ivory soap and hot water with a washcloth, scrub
micellar water
vitamin c lotion shit with sunblock
I don't wear makeup so that's it. maybe lipstick if I'm in a meeting that day

night:
hot then cold scrub with Ivory
micellar water
retinol lotion
some kind of overnight lip moisturizer stuff that I hate because it gets on my chin while I'm sleeping

that's it. if I do anything else, at all, I break out and the grease on my face gets thick enough to cause trouble with my masks at work.

Reactions: soryu

theriddler3

not an actual confederate supporter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
yeah I got a hydrating, gentle gel cleanser from aveeno and I have some cold pressed rose hip seed oil that I need to use more.
I have really bad combination skin that's prone to bad acne and needlessly reactive to basically anything I put on it. Cleansing and moisturizer is great, but I found the real game changer to be using a light exfoliator (in addition to cleansing, moisturizing, and rosehip oil) every night. It helps if you have flaking skin on the nose or chin and it helps keeps your pores from getting blocked up again. Haven't had breakouts or super dry patches in over a year.

I use Cera Ve PM facial moisturizing lotion , St Ives brightening scrub (exfoliator), Cera Ve's eye repair cream Cera Ve's foaming facial cleanser and Julep's Boost Your Radiance oil (rose hip) at night. In the morning, I use Cera Ve's foaming facial cleanser, Cera Ve's eye repair cream, and Cera Ve's AM facial moisturizing lotion (SPF 30).

Last edited:

sweetie_squad_4_lyfe

Unironic Weeb Trash
kiwifarms.net
I have really bad combination skin that's prone to bad acne and needlessly reactive to basically anything I put on it. Cleansing and moisturizer is great, but I found the real game changer to be using a light exfoliator (in addition to cleansing, moisturizing, and rosehip oil) every night. It helps if you have flaking skin on the nose or chin and it helps keeps your pores from getting blocked up again. Haven't had breakouts or super dry patches in over a year.

I use Cera Ve PM facial moisturizing lotion , St Ives brightening scrub (exfoliator), Cera Ve's eye repair cream Cera Ve's foaming facial cleanser and Julep's Boost Your Radiance oil (rose hip) at night. In the morning, I use Cera Ve's foaming facial cleanser, Cera Ve's eye repair cream, and Cera Ve's AM facial moisturizing lotion (SPF 30).
i have a butt load of scrubs lol. part of me worries it might be aggravating my skin cus when i scrub the flakes away theres redness and some dark discoloration. i have some chemical exfoliants so im gonna try to use those more often

theriddler3

not an actual confederate supporter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
i have a butt load of scrubs lol. part of me worries it might be aggravating my skin cus when i scrub the flakes away theres redness and some dark discoloration. i have some chemical exfoliants so im gonna try to use those more often
Ohh, I can see that. I don't get any redness, but that may just be a skin variance.

Egretmania

Silly Swamp Bird
kiwifarms.net
A.M:
Prep with a warm, clean washcloth
Clean and Clear Triple action cleanser (once every other day, usually M,W,F,Su)
Clinique Facial soap
Rinse with cool/lukewarm water
Pat dry with clean towel
Spritz with Clinique Moisture Surge Aloe water Facial spray/ Apply Clinique Pore mattifying cream

P.M:
Clinique take the day off balm
Vanicream Gentle Facial cleanser
Pat dry
Apply Clinique Moisture surge Hydrator/Moisture Surge overnight mask
Apply Clinique All about eyes

My skin is somewhat oily and I have to maintain a pretty rigid schedule to prevent breakouts and an oily complexion. Using clean washcloths and keeping your facial products/make up properly stored and uncontaminated are very important. Biggest tip I can really suggest is to drink lots of water, maintain a healthy diet, and maintain good hygiene. If any Kiwis know of cheaper alternatives to Clinique products I'm open. Only issues I have with my routine are permanent extremely dark circles that I can't get rid of. Any tips??

cuddle striker

please wait what is your genotype
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ivory soap is so good. It doesn't leave a film feeling behind at all. I'm honestly surprised because it's the cheapest soap around in my area.
I know right? cheap as fuck and works just fine

Candidae

kiwifarms.net
A.M:
Prep with a warm, clean washcloth
Clean and Clear Triple action cleanser (once every other day, usually M,W,F,Su)
Clinique Facial soap
Pat dry with clean towel
Spritz with Clinique Moisture Surge Aloe water Facial spray/ Apply Clinique Pore mattifying cream

P.M:
Clinique take the day off balm
Vanicream Gentle Facial cleanser
Pat dry
Apply Clinique Moisture surge Hydrator/Moisture Surge overnight mask
Apply Clinique All about eyes

My skin is somewhat oily and I have to maintain a pretty rigid schedule to prevent breakouts and an oily complexion. Using clean washcloths and keeping your facial products/make up properly stored and uncontaminated are very important. Biggest tip I can really suggest is to drink lots of water, maintain a healthy diet, and maintain good hygiene. If any Kiwis know of cheaper alternatives to Clinique products I'm open. Only issues I have with my routine are permanent extremely dark circles that I can't get rid of. Any tips??
I use this stuff for my eyes and I've noticed a difference even after only a few months. It's also really moisturizing. I didn't buy it online so I'm not sure if this is the best place to buy it just FYI if you chose to try it. Not sure on any Western products though, didn't have much luck with those unfortunately

• Informative
Reactions: Egretmania

StarkRavingMad

kiwifarms.net
Never had any skin issues until I hit a certain age. Never had acne problems prior, never had oil or dryness problems, etc. I would just wash my face with Biore or Clean & Clear products and properly moisturize every day and night.

Once I hit my 30s, my skin issues started almost IMMEDIATELY. I've been dealing with things like adult acne and eczema. It has been very annoying for a while now.

Right now, my skincare regime involves a mix of Kiehl's products (the Midnight Serum, Ultra Moisture Day Cream with SPF, & the Avocado Eye cream), Clinique Products (night cream), and now the Philosophy "Pure" Cleanser.

I've been using the Philosophy face wash for about two weeks now, and I see my skin looking better already; no breakouts, no significant issues of dryness. The only downside to it is that the cleanser is expensive. I might check out CeraVe or Cetaphil, since those seem to be the more affordable comparisons to the Philosophy cleanser.

IceGray

"Dude, where's the bus?"
kiwifarms.net
I caught a sunburn on my forehead and it started peeling, so I bucked up on a regimen of goat tard cum bar soap and castor oil.

After almost a week, I'm glad to say the peeling has stopped.

Tags
None