Off-Topic Skincare - let's sperg about routines and products

• Apologies for the site issues. The server's shipment was delayed. I'll ask again about it and if they can't provide it I'll source another.

Grimoire Canthari

kiwifarms.net
I use Celavive's stuff. Creamy foam cleanser, toner (sometimes I also use witch hazel, but I generally treat that as a makeup remover) and the serum. Absolutely kills my acne but I keep slacking so traces of it remain.

Sometimes I break out some noxema wipes and biore strips when I feel like there's extra cancer to be purged. But not very often.

theriddler3

not an actual confederate supporter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Sorry to necro a thread, kiwis. Please feel free to delete if this is too off-topic.

So, I recently discovered that I'm probably allergic/sensitive to the aluminum ingredient(s) in antiperspirants (usually the main/active ingredient). I started getting these painful blisters under my arms that increased in severity over time. I thought maybe it was my razor being the wrong type, then I thought my razor needed to be sanitized better, then I thought it might be some fungus I read about causing underarm blisters. I tried to remedy the underarm issues by fixing the problems as described above. Nothing worked, so I kept searching.

Eventually, I read that a growing number of people are developing allergies/sensitivities to the aluminum ingredients in antiperspirants. I ignored it for a while because I tend to be pretty distrustful of "alternative" products that claim big results. Anyways, I finally got over my hesitations and tried an aluminum-free deodorant. Finally fixed the problem and I am elated! The Love Beauty And Planet Murumuru Butter and Rose Aluminum-Free Deodorant is my favorite. Smells like roses and lasts all day!

Figured I'd share since this was the thread that told me about hyaluronic acid and rosehip oil. Maybe someone could make a discovery from this post on here like I did from others :)

PolexiaAphrodisia

Life just kills me. Do you have any pot?
kiwifarms.net
Microdermabrasion.

Is that the same as a "peel"? Does insurance cover it at a dermo? How long is recovery time??

Basically I have very very very uneven skin tone and scar marks from years of nuclear acne that nothing helped. The acne itself is more or less under control but I still need foundation for an even skin tone.

I have pretty good insurance atm but am concerned about recovery time, I know that post procedure sun exposure is a big no no and assume that makeup is also, and I don't want to go to work with a bare face.

SPX5kzy

Crude, but effective.
kiwifarms.net
Microdermabrasion.

Is that the same as a "peel"? Does insurance cover it at a dermo? How long is recovery time??

Basically I have very very very uneven skin tone and scar marks from years of nuclear acne that nothing helped. The acne itself is more or less under control but I still need foundation for an even skin tone.

I have pretty good insurance atm but am concerned about recovery time, I know that post procedure sun exposure is a big no no and assume that makeup is also, and I don't want to go to work with a bare face.
It is unlikely that insurance will cover microdermabrasion because it is considered cosmetic.
One thing I would recommend and can be covered by insurance is tretinoin. It’s a retinol. Insurance covers it when you say it’s for acne and not anti-aging. You have to wear sunscreen religiously, but that’s a great habit that will make you look better/help fight uneven skintone or acne scars anyways. There’s a lot of information online about tretinoin. Good stuff. You just have to moisturize a lot, be consistent and be religiously protecting your face from sun exposure. Something to look into.

Sparklepants

Concerningly greasy
kiwifarms.net
Microdermabrasion.

You could also try dermaplaning. It’s pretty cheap per session and it’s helped my acne scarring immensely. Plus it gets rid of the peach fuzz for a little bit so your face looks airbrushed.

Reactions: PolexiaAphrodisia

PolexiaAphrodisia

Life just kills me. Do you have any pot?
kiwifarms.net
You could also try dermaplaning. It’s pretty cheap per session and it’s helped my acne scarring immensely. Plus it gets rid of the peach fuzz for a little bit so your face looks airbrushed.
Where would I go to get this done, and what is an average cost?

LetThemEatCake

kiwifarms.net
Best thing for bad acne scarring, pitted scars, etc is actually laser. All microdermabrasion will do is temporarily smooth the skin by removing the top, dead layers.

Chemical peels can also help with scarring and unevenness (look into TCA peels for acne scars). Don't fuck about with this on your own, btw,find a properly trained person to do it.

Sunscreen is a must whatever you are or are not doing. The majority of skin ageing is simply UV damage from everyday exposure as well as the odd sunburn. UV can also help drive inflammation in the skin, and causes pigmentation issues, or worsens existing ones.

Cake Farts

niceass
kiwifarms.net
How do I stop my face from melting? I have my acne under control, but even with the routine I’m using (clinique salicylic acid soap, clinique toner for oily skin, L’Oréal sunscreen moisturizer do oily skin at day/ Clinique gel moisturizer at night) my face still gets really shiny after four or five hours.

• Agree
Reactions: PolexiaAphrodisia

The Cyber Unit

kiwifarms.net
How do I stop my face from melting? I have my acne under control, but even with the routine I’m using (clinique salicylic acid soap, clinique toner for oily skin, L’Oréal sunscreen moisturizer do oily skin at day/ Clinique gel moisturizer at night) my face still gets really shiny after four or five hours.
I've been using Niacinamide (from the ordinary) to control my oil and I think it's helped a lot. I put it on after I wash my face and before moisturizer every morning. Do you use oil blotting sheets?

• Informative
Reactions: Ihatechildren

LoveYouLongTime

kiwifarms.net
The best thing I've found to control my oil is not using products targeted towards oily skin. For me, a lot of "for oily skin" products are drying and causes my skin to want to overproduce to compensate for the loss. I use a pretty heavy moisturizer for the evening and for my daytime one I use something lighter that typically has hyaluronic acid in it. It sucks turning into a grease trap after a few hours(I can feel my face get sticky when the temperature gets over 75 degrees), but supposedly having oilier skin is better in the long run in terms of aging.

TardHunter

kiwifarms.net
Oh yes I am so happy to see a skincare thread. Advice needed - recently visited derm for an intense bout of cystic acne, and I nuked my skin with the prescribed 10% benzoyl peroxide gel. At least the acne is gone, but my skin is literally peeling and flaking off. Moisturizing is a given, but clearly Cetaphil is not enough. Should I slather some vaseline on and call it a night? I can’t give up the BP, and I’m already using it once every 2 days. Is there anything better than Aveeno / Cetaphil / Neutrogena hydro boost? Cuz that’s what I’ve tried so far...

LoveYouLongTime

kiwifarms.net
Oh yes I am so happy to see a skincare thread. Advice needed - recently visited derm for an intense bout of cystic acne, and I nuked my skin with the prescribed 10% benzoyl peroxide gel. At least the acne is gone, but my skin is literally peeling and flaking off. Moisturizing is a given, but clearly Cetaphil is not enough. Should I slather some vaseline on and call it a night? I can’t give up the BP, and I’m already using it once every 2 days. Is there anything better than Aveeno / Cetaphil / Neutrogena hydro boost? Cuz that’s what I’ve tried so far...
I wouldn't use Cetaphil. While it's mild and shouldn't aggravate the skin it really doesn't have anything in it to help it to help the skin either. If you can swing the price, I would also go see an esthetician who can help recommend products/ingredients to look for to help with the peeling. If you just recently started using the BP your skin is probably still adjusting to it and will likely even out on its own after a little while. The same thing happens if you use retinol. Depending on how sensitive your skin is, I would look for a mild exfoliant to use every few days then find a really nice moisturizer. I would spring for something fancier than drug store brand for a moisturizer of all your products. My personal favorites are:

Both are a bit pricey, but if you're near a Sephora they're typically really nice about putting together a sample for you to try out. They also have a pretty lax return policy, so if you do purchase the full size and hate it they should refund you.

• Feels
Reactions: TardHunter

LetThemEatCake

kiwifarms.net
Vaseline is fabulous, but not alone. Cerave moisturizing cream for dry to very dry skin is great - it has hyaluronic acid to help hold water in the skin amongst other benefits.

Basically you need to layer moisturizer (something thick with water in it) onto DAMP skin and then apply something to hold it all in to help the fucked-up dried out top layers shed quicker i.e an occulsive and help heal your acid barrier. Don't dry your fce off completely after washing.

Basically: wash face with something gentle. Dab with tissue or soft towel but leave some water on skin, Onto damp face apply your chosen moisturizer with hyaluronic acid/ceramides like the one I mentioned, THEN finally use Vaseline as an occlusive to seal all the layers in for the night. You don't need to put it everywhere, just get it on the flaky, nasty patches. In the morning, very gently wash and use a damp soft washcloth/clean hands to VERY gently exfoliate.

There's a tendancy for people to want to scrub at skin in this state but don't, it will inflame it further. Just get moisture sealed in there and very gently remove the flakes everyday. The softer and more moisturized you get those messed-up top layers the easier they will fall off.

• Feels
Reactions: TardHunter

TardHunter

kiwifarms.net
Vaseline is fabulous, but not alone. Cerave moisturizing cream for dry to very dry skin is great - it has hyaluronic acid to help hold water in the skin amongst other benefits.

Basically you need to layer moisturizer (something thick with water in it) onto DAMP skin and then apply something to hold it all in to help the fucked-up dried out top layers shed quicker i.e an occulsive and help heal your acid barrier. Don't dry your fce off completely after washing.

Basically: wash face with something gentle. Dab with tissue or soft towel but leave some water on skin, Onto damp face apply your chosen moisturizer with hyaluronic acid/ceramides like the one I mentioned, THEN finally use Vaseline as an occlusive to seal all the layers in for the night. You don't need to put it everywhere, just get it on the flaky, nasty patches. In the morning, very gently wash and use a damp soft washcloth/clean hands to VERY gently exfoliate.

There's a tendancy for people to want to scrub at skin in this state but don't, it will inflame it further. Just get moisture sealed in there and very gently remove the flakes everyday. The softer and more moisturized you get those messed-up top layers the easier they will fall off.
Appreciate this! I’ve been eyeing Cerave, will give it a try. Also yeah I was hoping that Hyaluronic Acid (The Ordinary) + Moisturizer + Vaseline would help seal everything in, if that makes sense. Like an oily saran wrap to hold in moisture. Other than that, I’m using neutrogena ultra gentle face cleanser + the benzoyl peroxide as prescribed. I really appreciate the product recommendations!!! I’m super interested in the Protini polypeptide moisturizer now, I saw it in store but didn’t recognize the brand so I passed. Thanks again!

• Feels
Reactions: LetThemEatCake

Cake Farts

niceass
kiwifarms.net
I've been using Niacinamide (from the ordinary) to control my oil and I think it's helped a lot. I put it on after I wash my face and before moisturizer every morning. Do you use oil blotting sheets?
Religiously, although I want to move away from pulling out sheets every so often and patting my face down with them.

MerriedxReldnahc

World's Okay-est Proctologist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm pretty stoked to have gotten a ton of new products from my favorite brand. My mom is a manager at an establishment I'll call Lol Foods and she gets so much free body care products that we never need to buy any. This was all free from a rep.
20200123_132449.jpg
I like Derma-E since it was the first brand where I saw any real difference in my teenage pizza-ness. Some brands were too harsh and dried my skin out, and since young me was a skin-picker (still am but not as bad) that turned into quite the cycle of agony. These will be interesting to check out since I'm not sure what some of them even are.

Since I mentioned itchy dry skin, if you do ever have some scabby spots anywhere I'm a big fan of All Good Goop. It's just a balm with herbs and crap, but it works well. I like Badger Balm as well.

THOTto

Beep boop boop, we're fucked.
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I’m a big fan of sand and sky myself. Link it feels awesome and one jar lasts a few months, the exfoliator lasts me a bit longer since, I err on the side of caution after seeing what damage over exfoliating can do. They have oils too if your skin is on the drier side.

Shea moisture is my go to as far as soaps go, African black soap works wonders and it’s like 4-5 bucks a bar.

Tags
None