Off-Topic Skincare - let's sperg about routines and products

• Apologies for the site issues. The server's shipment was delayed. I'll ask again about it and if they can't provide it I'll source another.

PumpkinSpiceBitchMeringue

I will never expire, my thots
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I only wash with soap.
Please send help.

I tried going for something fancy like a clay mask:
trueEbil.jpg

I got it really cheap at Marshall's and went straight to it without any research because I'm that stupid and broke. I have tried it 2 times and both have caused a sort of burning reaction to the nasal area (maxillary-sinus). Serves me right for being a basic bitch.

Reactions: thejackal

Twolegstillmidnight

Off with her legs!
kiwifarms.net
So, for most of my teen life I had decent skin. I didn’t know this, being a teen and all I thought a few spots on my forehead or cheek was the end of the world and that I had the worst skin ever.

Then I started having really bad food allergies, it took a long time to figure out but I started getting hives on my face...but it looked like giant patches of cystic acne, just without any actual cysts. They kind of itched sometimes and eventually my mom pointed out that if it was just acne it wouldn’t be itching so much.

I of course went to the doctor and it took a long time to eliminate and discover everything, but I started putting hydrocortisone cream on my face and it rapidly took the spots down. I stopped eating the foods that caused it but I noticed I started breaking out in lots of actual acne, and over time I have noticed that if I slip or something happens and I eat food that has a bit of something I am allergic to I will break out all over my face, get cysts along my cheekbones, and my skin will be red and blotchy.

Not eating food I am allergic to, as well as keeping my hormones balanced with birth control (recommended by my doctor for the purpose of clearing up my skin) changed my skin from totally destroyed to almost totally clear in about a year. It’s taken a lot of work but I thought the skin on my face was destroyed and beyond hope

I don’t use a lot of fancy products on my skin. I wash my face with Dove soap in the shower, put a thick amount of rosewater moisturizer when I get out or my skin is dry, and I keep some unscented baby wipes to wipe dirt or oil off my face when I’m at work. I also have used a toner in the past when I was trying to fade scarring and I would say it helped somewhat but the greatest change was both when I completely cut out what I needed to, and taking the birth control to reregulate hormones specifically because when I ate things that weren’t good for me all the hormones in my body got thrown off.

Just wanted to share because sometimes it doesn’t matter what products you put on your face, if the food going into your body isn’t good for you your skin is going to reflect it.

StrawberryDouche

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I only wash with soap.
Please send help.

View attachment 1111856

I got it really cheap at Marshall's and went straight to it without any research because I'm that stupid and broke. I have tried it 2 times and both have caused a sort of burning reaction to the nasal area (maxillary-sinus). Serves me right for being a basic bitch.
What are your specific skin concerns and how broke are you? Using Johnson&Johnson baby wash as a facial cleanser if you have sensitive skin works great and it's very cheap. Even the generic brand is preferable to bar soap. Don't use bar soap on your face!

PolexiaAphrodisia

Life just kills me. Do you have any pot?
kiwifarms.net
I'm pretty stoked to have gotten a ton of new products from my favorite brand. My mom is a manager at an establishment I'll call Lol Foods and she gets so much free body care products that we never need to buy any. This was all free from a rep.
View attachment 1111799
I like Derma-E since it was the first brand where I saw any real difference in my teenage pizza-ness. Some brands were too harsh and dried my skin out, and since young me was a skin-picker (still am but not as bad) that turned into quite the cycle of agony. These will be interesting to check out since I'm not sure what some of them even are.

Since I mentioned itchy dry skin, if you do ever have some scabby spots anywhere I'm a big fan of All Good Goop. It's just a balm with herbs and crap, but it works well. I like Badger Balm as well.
Huh. When I worked at, uh...Sandy's Beauty Supply, they sold Derma-E, but I thought it was just one of those wannabe brands that Sandy's had a fair number of. You know, where it's store brand but they put a different name on it than "Sandy's" to make it seem more legit? So I didn't bother trying it, even when my coworker made a fake loyalty account and racked up $80 in coupons and treated us to a free spree.

I really like the Juice green apple peel I got at Ulta a while ago. My skin has started to look more even in tone and is definitely smoother.
I picked up Tula "The Cult" travel size face wash as an impulse last time I was there, and I am not really impressed. I'll stick with my Oxy 10 in the mornings for the time being.
I got a tiny tiny cleansing balm in my ipsy bag this month, might try that in the evening - but it's really only big enough for one use, which annoys me.

Anyone ever tried Origins? Poshmark has shitloads of girls trying to unload Origins travel size for the low low, and I'm interested. I like trying out new skincare even more than trying new makeup, especially since my nightmare skin builds up immunity so quickly.

MerriedxReldnahc

World's Okay-est Proctologist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I really like the Juice green apple peel I got at Ulta a while ago. My skin has started to look more even in tone and is definitely smoother.
Ooh, I've tried that one! Juice is another line where my mom got like, 5 different products from a rep. So I got a cleanser, a blemish serum, and a moisturizer plus the peel. I remember that being a really nice brand for my skin.

Stupid Fan

One for me, one for my hooker
kiwifarms.net
I’m very new to skincare and my first endeavor into it was using Mario Badescu and WOW.

It fucking sucks. Fuck Mario and his shitty product. I bought the combo/oily package from ulta and tried it out for a month or so. I liked that the moisturizer had SPF but everything else made my skin so... red? And it was really painful. I’ve never been one to say I have sensitive skin, so it’s weird I would always have a reaction.

I received these items in my boxycharm subscription
2A79D39A-90E4-4B60-A04B-E5EA48937329.pngA41CED9C-EC33-4ABE-9447-E6B4BF86862D.png
The Dr. Brandt stuff is painful but amazing. When I woke up the next day my face looks brighter and less red! The watermelon mask smells like candy and made my face really soft ☺
51514250-C5CD-4CC2-8DBB-027219C67952.png
I received a sample of this cleanser in my
Ipsy subscription and really liked it so I bought the full size. Kind of smells earthy.

THOTto

Beep boop boop, we're fucked.
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Not sure if the Shea brand has other ingredients you might want but you can get a pound of pure African black soap for 10 bucks off of Amazon.
African black soap base, fair trade shea butter, oats, aloe, plantain extract, vitamin E, oils for fragrance, glycerin, palm ash, rosemary extract and iron oxides. Not tested on animals, blah blah, family owned, blah blah. The mix is less drying from what I’ve read, and a little more forgiving on sensitive skin. Thanks for the info, I’ll pass it on to a few people who were interested in it.

Friendly_AI

kiwifarms.net
I only wash with soap.
Please send help.
Same here, my spouse suggests using the same soap (DrBronner's) we generally use for face washing as well.
bronnersoap.jpg

I doubt it'll help sensitive skin, but maybe I'm wrong? Tried to use face soap bought at Muji's, found out it had a lot of acids that started to burn the hell out of skin after the 3rd day of consistent use.
And just washing with water won't be enough, right?

Never used any skincare products back in my country, now, in the US, I'm still as clueless as before.

Barbarella

Guards! To the Mathmos with this winged fruitcake.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I had cystic acne, took Roaccutaine for a year, and had perfect skin for a decade. Hit my 30's and I've suddenly started getting clusters of cystic acne again. I'm heartbroken but don't want to go back on Roaccutaine for another course because it turned me into a psychotic hosebeast.

My skin routine is pretty much non-existent as I'm too freaked out to put anything on. Outbreaks are so unpredictable I can never gauge what sparks it and what controls it. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm desperate at this point and a decent skin routine might actually get things back under control...I look like an elderly teenager.
Have you tried Differin (OT ) or retin a, (precription). Cystic acne was the bane of my existance until I got Retin a. Fortunately, because that type of acne is deep, I could feel it coming before it ever showed, so retin a right away as soon as you feel that tingle staves it off. It also repairs your skin from sun damage but you have to ease into it. I used it daily for years but now just once or twice a week.

I was like you, only I took accutane. Awful stuff and I didn’t finish the whole course (does anybody?) it worked for years and then retin a took care of when it pops up again

I was a tanning bed, sun, never use cream on my skin for that reason. Now I can slather on the most emmolient creams and no breakouts. (Although I keep it light). No scarring either, I never had much but retin a helped. I get lots of compliments on my skin.

Now my main issue is a melia here and there. I can take them out with a needle myself but I wish there was a preventative.

• Informative
Reactions: Fresh Grown Breasts

ricecake

Food Attic
kiwifarms.net
Anyone ever tried Origins? Poshmark has shitloads of girls trying to unload Origins travel size for the low low, and I'm interested. I like trying out new skincare even more than trying new makeup, especially since my nightmare skin builds up immunity so quickly.
Origins Checks and Balances is my go-to face wash. I love it. I also like the Mega-Mushroom products I've tried samples of but not enough to purchase full size. It's worth trying a couple things; they give away crazy samples and free gifts so I've tried lots of different products. I have sensitive skin and have never had a bad reaction to anything. Maybe you'll find your new favorite.

Tryphaena

You too can find an axe and grind it
kiwifarms.net
I only wash with soap.
Please send help.

View attachment 1111856

If you want to try another clay mask this one is great. My skin looks amazing ever since I started using it. If I ever start getting any blemishes I use this and it's gone in a day or two. https://www.amazon.com/Aztec-Secret-Cleansing-Original-Bentonite/dp/B0014P8L9W You're supposed to mix it with equal parts apple cider vinegar. My skin is pretty sensitive and it doesn't irritate me. You definitely gotta moisturize after though cause it's a deep fucking clean.

Now for other shit I really like.

I LOVE THIS SOAP. It's some Indian soap that got popular with the natural hippie types (me). https://www.vitacost.com/chandrika-soap-ayurvedic-soap I use it on my face and body. It does have a strong smell but I like it. If you're into Nag Champa incense, you'll probably also enjoy the smell. It makes my skin really soft which is surprising because soap bars are usually so, so drying. To me, anyway.

This is my toner of choice. I used to have some rosacea on my cheeks and bought all kinds of expensive crap to try and help. Then I found this and it made the shit fucking disappear. It's also useful for putting on after shaving to stave off razor burn and helps with itchy bug bites. One bottle lasts me a year. https://www.amazon.com/Thayers-Alcohol-free-Petal-Witch-Hazel/dp/B00016XJ4M

I still cycle through some stuff, always trying to find better products. But these 3 have stayed with me and I get a lot of compliments on my skin looking so good. I attribute it mostly to these items. If any of you have extra cash and are interested, I cannot recommend these enough. Especially that rose petal witch hazel.

PolexiaAphrodisia

Life just kills me. Do you have any pot?
kiwifarms.net
LOVE THIS SOAP. It's some Indian soap that got popular with the natural hippie types (me). https://www.vitacost.com/chandrika-soap-ayurvedic-soap I use it on my face and body. It does have a strong smell but I like it. If you're into Nag Champa incense, you'll probably also enjoy the smell. It makes my skin really soft which is surprising because soap bars are usually so, so drying. To me, anyway.
OH HELLOOOOO.... Ordered!!!

I have had surprisingly great results (albeit short term) with Indian products before. I loved a turmeric face wash for a whole year before it stopped working, and I was also using a neem bar for a bit which was good but not AS good.

I am obsessed with nag champa. If nothing else I'll use this for my body. I'm fuckin psyched lol

Tryphaena

You too can find an axe and grind it
kiwifarms.net
OH HELLOOOOO.... Ordered!!!

I have had surprisingly great results (albeit short term) with Indian products before. I loved a turmeric face wash for a whole year before it stopped working, and I was also using a neem bar for a bit which was good but not AS good.

I am obsessed with nag champa. If nothing else I'll use this for my body. I'm fuckin psyched lol
Indian products are nice hidden gems. I used to work next to an Indian supermarket and I would just gamble on hair and skin products between buying big cases of HEM and Nag Champa incense. Usually went pretty well. This soap will make your bathroom smell like it for a good while after too. I hope you wind up loving it as much as I do!

DelicateMageflower

It's Algonquin for bloodsport.
kiwifarms.net
5 litres of water per day, not even shitting you here! I am in the loo as often as a geriatric but I drink water and tea only and have tremendous skin.

I also swear by Nivea products. I got the inside scoop on the horrifyingly expensive La Mer, and it is essentially Nivea.

No upscale stuff. Too much perfume.
Nivea has face products? I think they only have body products in the States. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm intrigued.

thejackal

kiwifarms.net
Nivea has face products? I think they only have body products in the States. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm intrigued.
They def do. They have a lot of masculine aimed products like face scrub and moisturiser at least. I use their face scrub it's fairly gentle but I prefer for moisturizer to use the clinique "daily 15" or whatever they call it it's just basic unscented cream with spf 15 for a little protection and it doesn't leave my skin too oily or anything.

Body wash I've been using this tea tree blend it smells like pine sap straight from the bottle but leaves a nice piney smell on my skin and there is some research that the oil in it has some anti-microbial properties.

A borscht-on

kiwifarms.net
They do, and quite good ones. I live in Chantal Land, so perhaps Nivea carries more here, but I don't think so. There is the basic old school moisturizer in the blue tin (a bit too greasy for me), but a load of other decent products for really good prices.

I have a Clarins cream that was like a hundred bucks, and it is collecting mothballs. Horrible, perfumed stuff that did nothing except cause breakouts. On my pauper's wages, I swear by Nivea. I have the Micellar water, face cleanser, daily moisturizer, a charcoal scrub--now that I think of it, also the body wash and pump body lotion--and it's all very good quality.

German ingenuity!

Last edited:

multiverse

Not actually Merissa 😢
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
From An Old: sunscreen is your best skincare product. Wear it every.single.day. 50 spf is gonna save your ass later on.

Wash your makeup off before bed, I don't care how late you got in. Oil based makeup remover followed by a face wash - or cream your face first to get the makeup off, your grandma knew what was up with that cold cream.

Heavy face lotion, brand isn't important as long as it's super moisturizing. Nivea drugstore cream is fine if you're broke, it works.

If you have the cash, Keihls is an awesome midlevel fancy brand of face creams and oils.

Tags
None