Off-Topic Skincare - let's sperg about routines and products

• Order for the new server will be going in ASAP. Performance will be rocky until then (rip).

Allo Vera

kiwifarms.net
Weren't there recent studies that showed sunscreen can transcend skin barrier? Wouldn't it be harmful for the body in the long run?
That’s doubtful, I think.

Fresh Grown Breasts

Your hand is staining my window.
kiwifarms.net
Have you tried Differin (OT ) or retin a, (precription). Cystic acne was the bane of my existance until I got Retin a. Fortunately, because that type of acne is deep, I could feel it coming before it ever showed, so retin a right away as soon as you feel that tingle staves it off. It also repairs your skin from sun damage but you have to ease into it. I used it daily for years but now just once or twice a week.

I was like you, only I took accutane. Awful stuff and I didn’t finish the whole course (does anybody?) it worked for years and then retin a took care of when it pops up again

I was a tanning bed, sun, never use cream on my skin for that reason. Now I can slather on the most emmolient creams and no breakouts. (Although I keep it light). No scarring either, I never had much but retin a helped. I get lots of compliments on my skin.

Now my main issue is a melia here and there. I can take them out with a needle myself but I wish there was a preventative.
I’ve just started a new regime using Clinique Anti-Blemish Solution soap and clinical clearing gel, followed with Charlotte Tilbury Magic Cream. I don’t know what the fuck they put in those products but within two days the spots had pretty much vanished and the redness/scarring had faded, and I was in the midst of a particularly bad breakout.

Not sure if it’s going to be a long term solution though, so I’m going to look into Retina A. Definitely recommend those products though for people who have tried everything else on the market. Expensive, but the amount of money wasted on useless products over the years, it’s worth it for something that actually works.

Grimoire Canthari

kiwifarms.net
On a whim I visited LUSH and brought the Coalface bar home. Ran out of Celavive (looking at you, Gran) and was looking for a cheaper alternative. Irritated my face like crazy the first few days but it calmed down after. If you have oily skin you could try it out but YMMV. Plus it has some gay ass sparkles in it for whatever reason, although they don't show up on the face. There are probably better facial bars/cleansers for the $15 price point, but I had a stingy moment. My previous cleanser is double that but maybe I'll pick it back up later since it's never burned me.

• Informative
Reactions: StrawberryDouche

Autistador

Eat a dick potato faggot
kiwifarms.net
Aight so I think I have some sort of cystic spot on my face (like it's deep and painful and I felt it before it appeared) I've never had anything like this before, what is the method of dealing with these things? have clear skin generally so all I have that I could use is my salicylic acid cleanser that I was using beforehand anyway. Do I just cover it up with foundation and wait for it to pass? How long do these things take to go away?

PolexiaAphrodisia

Life just kills me. Do you have any pot?
kiwifarms.net
Aight so I think I have some sort of cystic spot on my face (like it's deep and painful and I felt it before it appeared) I've never had anything like this before, what is the method of dealing with these things? have clear skin generally so all I have that I could use is my salicylic acid cleanser that I was using beforehand anyway. Do I just cover it up with foundation and wait for it to pass? How long do these things take to go away?
Welcome to my life! I used to get normal zits as a teen, but as an adult I get these deep bastards.

Don't try to squeeze, it'll just pop the cyst under the skin and make scarring and a worse infection, plus it'll hurt like a fucking cunt.

Sometimes a spot treatment product will help. I'm currently using one by 10.0.6, but others have recommended the YesTo tomato spot treatment. I also like to take a washcloth and put it under the hottest water I can stand, then hold it to the spot. That can help too.

Varies how long it takes to go away or come to a head. If you're a squeezer, you have to reallllly be careful to make sure it's come to a proper head before popping, or else you'll be stuck with a blood blister lookin' thang under your skin. But as my nasty-ass complexion proves, you shouldn't pop at all, and usually by that point the hot washcloth will make it go away.

ricecake

Food Attic
kiwifarms.net
I get one or two before my period every month. I just smear some good old Persagel on it before bed and it usually clears up in 2-3 days.

@thejackal what brand of body wash is it? I love pine-y bath products.

Pineapple Fox

For conversations sake
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Morning Routine
- Cerave Foaming Facial Cleanser
- Cerave Facial Moisturizing Lotion SPF30 for face and neck
1581306618086.png1581306665714.png

Evening Routine
- Cerave Foaming Facial Cleanser
- [Cosrx] AHA/BHA Clarifying Treatment Toner
- Jamieson ProVitamina Retinol Renewal Night Cream
1581307096498.png1581307116279.png

Once every week or two I also like to do a Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay Deep Pore Cleansing, I mix the powder with Apple Cider Vinegar and use a small brush to cover my face/neck. Its tingly! :)
1581307262651.png

I also love doing face sheet masks as a treat! They can be kind of pricey. I usually keep a bag of these around as they come with 30 of them and are less than $1 each
-HADA LABO Koi-Gokujyun 3D Perfect Mask
1581307418949.png

- Benton snail bee high content mask
- LuLuLun premium peach mask
- Keana Rice mask
- Laneige water sleeping mask. It does wonders for keeping your skin hydrated.
- Skinfood black sugar honey mask
- Skinfood egg white pore mask
- Innisfree jeju volcanic clay mask
- Herbivore blue tansy resurfacing clarity mask

If you get dry, flaky skin on your forehead;
- Stop using harsh cleansers. Try cleansers with low ph levels like Cosrx Low PH good morning cleanser.
-Use sheet masks every night for a while until it’s fixed. Then you can space out the usage to around one a week.
-During the day keep your forehead hydrated by using a face mist.
- Most important of all, use sunscreen.

Cleanser is basically soap for your face, most soaps strip out moisture and that will make your face dry. You can slap all the moisturizer in the world but when you wash your face and they get stripped off, you are pretty much wasting money.

Oil cleansers are good too. In Asian skincare regimes, double cleanses are used. You cleanse with oil cleanser first and then use foam cleanser.
Use a Hyaluronic Acid based products after washing your face. This acid helps absorbs moisture on to your skin and anything you apply after that will be quickly absorbed.

Morning
- mild foam cleanser
- Hyaluronic acid
- moisturizer or oil
- sunscreen

Night
- oil cleanser
- mild foam cleanser
- Hyaluronic acid
- sheet mask or moisturizer or oil or sleeping mask

If your skin is oily, it means it’s probably dehydrated so it will produce excessive sebum. Try to keep your skin well hydrated.

If you’re getting pimples, don’t pick them! Use Cosrx pimple patch that acts as a protective barrier and also squeezes out the yucky stuff out overnight.
Benton snail need high content mask is very good for calming the skin down and preventing breakouts from spreading.

Its all about sunscreen, retinol and vitamin c serums :)

Last edited:

Beluga

Just a little white whale on the go
kiwifarms.net
Do you gurls have any recommendations for getting rid of under the skin pimples? I don't get them regularly but every few weeks I get one that drives me insane and stays there for quite some time (probably my fault as I tend to touch them). I heard that Mario Badescu's drying lotion works well but I have very sensitive skin, I once tried one of their toners and it was too aggressive for me. :(

Reactions: Stupid Fan

A borscht-on

kiwifarms.net
Do you gurls have any recommendations for getting rid of under the skin pimples? I don't get them regularly but every few weeks I get one that drives me insane and stays there for quite some time (probably my fault as I tend to touch them). I heard that Mario Badescu's drying lotion works well but I have very sensitive skin, I once tried one of their toners and it was too aggressive for me. :(
Get yourself a facial steamer off Amazon. I ordered one about a year ago and can't believe I did without one for so long. They are pretty affordable, ranging from the low $30 range to over $100, but ultimately they all do the same thing., and the one I ordered came with a nifty blackhead-remover kit.

What I do about three times a week is wash my face (or clean it with micellar water), then sit down for a ten-minute steaming session that is heavenly. It'll help open your pores and allow you to gently get at any blackheads or whiteheads or pimples you might have. For those nightmarish, giant subdermal zits you're talking about, you'll have to work at it; don't do any surgery or aggressive squeezing. Steam your face every day, and while you're doing so, very tenderly press it or see if it'll give. Then once you're done steaming, slather whatever stuff you love onto your face, but apply witch hazel, lemon juice, or tea tree oil to the under-the-skin pimple. They're unrelenting, as you know, so they take work, but steaming--and then gently working at any blemish I have--has done unbelievable things to my skin.

If you can't be arsed to buy a steamer, just do the same thing with boiling water in your bathroom sink and a towel over your head.

Sparklepants

Concerningly greasy
kiwifarms.net
Get yourself a facial steamer off Amazon. I ordered one about a year ago and can't believe I did without one for so long. They are pretty affordable, ranging from the low $30 range to over $100, but ultimately they all do the same thing., and the one I ordered came with a nifty blackhead-remover kit.

What I do about three times a week is wash my face (or clean it with micellar water), then sit down for a ten-minute steaming session that is heavenly. It'll help open your pores and allow you to gently get at any blackheads or whiteheads or pimples you might have. For those nightmarish, giant subdermal zits you're talking about, you'll have to work at it; don't do any surgery or aggressive squeezing. Steam your face every day, and while you're doing so, very tenderly press it or see if it'll give. Then once you're done steaming, slather whatever stuff you love onto your face, but apply witch hazel, lemon juice, or tea tree oil to the under-the-skin pimple. They're unrelenting, as you know, so they take work, but steaming--and then gently working at any blemish I have--has done unbelievable things to my skin.

If you can't be arsed to buy a steamer, just do the same thing with boiling water in your bathroom sink and a towel over your head.
Don't use lemon juice, it can react badly with the sun and give you nasty sunburns.

soryu

Jerry Mouse
kiwifarms.net
Winter weather is going to be brutal in the next week, so I want something that can help me, even just a little is good enough.
I mistakenly slathered Equate Ultra Therapy Dry Skin lotion from Walmart all over my ashy body a few weeks ago, only to break out into a skin rash the day afterward and if that wasn't was bad enough, it also gave me an anxiety attack that didn't fully subside until a week later.
Screenshot_20200213-004056(1).png
Looking at the reviews, people mentioned a strong perfume in the lotion. I honestly thought the smell was the lotion itself, not a cover-up additive. I also didn't know I had a possible fragrance sensitivity lol.
If my theory is correct, I think I might be safe using straight up petroleum jelly. If not, I guess I'll just stick to drinking extra water.

theriddler3

not an actual confederate supporter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Winter weather is going to be brutal in the next week, so I want something that can help me, even just a little is good enough.
I mistakenly slathered Equate Ultra Therapy Dry Skin lotion from Walmart all over my ashy body a few weeks ago, only to break out into a skin rash the day afterward and if that wasn't was bad enough, it also gave me an anxiety attack that didn't fully subside until a week later.
View attachment 1142345
Looking at the reviews, people mentioned a strong perfume in the lotion. I honestly thought the smell was the lotion itself, not a cover-up additive. I also didn't know I had a possible fragrance sensitivity lol.
If my theory is correct, I think I might be safe using straight up petroleum jelly. If not, I guess I'll just stick to drinking extra water.
View attachment 1142345
If you have access to this brand where you live, I'd recommend trying the aveeno fragrance-free baby eczema balm. It makes the bleeding cracks in my hands that form nearly daily from dry, cold air heal up overnight. I'm rather certain it has some sort of witchcraft in the formula because nothing else I've ever tried has worked this well. I get it at Target.
Screenshot_20200213-092855~2.png

afternoon_tea

kiwifarms.net
So, for most of my teen life I had decent skin. I didn’t know this, being a teen and all I thought a few spots on my forehead or cheek was the end of the world and that I had the worst skin ever.

Then I started having really bad food allergies, it took a long time to figure out but I started getting hives on my face...but it looked like giant patches of cystic acne, just without any actual cysts. They kind of itched sometimes and eventually my mom pointed out that if it was just acne it wouldn’t be itching so much.

I of course went to the doctor and it took a long time to eliminate and discover everything, but I started putting hydrocortisone cream on my face and it rapidly took the spots down. I stopped eating the foods that caused it but I noticed I started breaking out in lots of actual acne, and over time I have noticed that if I slip or something happens and I eat food that has a bit of something I am allergic to I will break out all over my face, get cysts along my cheekbones, and my skin will be red and blotchy.

Not eating food I am allergic to, as well as keeping my hormones balanced with birth control (recommended by my doctor for the purpose of clearing up my skin) changed my skin from totally destroyed to almost totally clear in about a year. It’s taken a lot of work but I thought the skin on my face was destroyed and beyond hope

I don’t use a lot of fancy products on my skin. I wash my face with Dove soap in the shower, put a thick amount of rosewater moisturizer when I get out or my skin is dry, and I keep some unscented baby wipes to wipe dirt or oil off my face when I’m at work. I also have used a toner in the past when I was trying to fade scarring and I would say it helped somewhat but the greatest change was both when I completely cut out what I needed to, and taking the birth control to reregulate hormones specifically because when I ate things that weren’t good for me all the hormones in my body got thrown off.

Just wanted to share because sometimes it doesn’t matter what products you put on your face, if the food going into your body isn’t good for you your skin is going to reflect it.
I feel you so hard on this. For me it's going through perimenopause early and nothing even touched my skin issues until I got on a combo of prescription antibiotics, antiandrogens, tretinoin, topical antibiotics and azelaic acid. Now after 3 months it's starting to clear up, but damn it's stubborn. Before this I had no issues keeping my skin clear with just a few topical, basic face washing and lotion.

Now my routine is:

-cerave hydrating wash in the morning (or just a wipe with bioderma if I don't have anything goopy on overnght)

-cerave pm lotion

-bliss rose gold face mist

-biore perfect face tard cum sunscreen

At night I remove any makeup with The Ordinary Squalane cleanser, then do a few seconds of "exposure therapy" with the Differen benzoyl peroxide wash (this is to help your skin to not become immune to just the antibiotics) and then rinse it off with cerave hydrating wash.

-cerave pm

- The Ordinary niacinamide and zinc serum

-after letting my skin dry I put on my prescription tret/azelaic acid and doxycycline.

-rosehip seed oil

-La Roche Posay cicaplast balm (this shit is the bomb for any kind of dry sore skin A+++)

-a thick slather of cerave ointment if I'm super dry and flakey (so far my skin has gotten used to the prescriptions and doesn't flake much anymore thanfully).

My skin barely budged for months, it was depressing, but one morning I woke up and almost all my cysts were just superficial red marks, so now I'm using The Ordinary vitamin C + arbutin to fade them.

Hormones are such a nightmare, you never knew when they might turn your life upside down, before my cysts the worst I ever had was an occasional blackhead and I attributed it to my great skincare routine, but now I realize I was just lucky my hormones were behaving back then. A lot of women are going to find out the hard way that this shit can pop out of nowhere.

• Feels
Reactions: Twolegstillmidnight

Logical Fallacies

Harmless Internet User
kiwifarms.net
My skin is 99% Girl-Next-Door and 1% Diva so I barely do anything to it and it works just fine for me.

Mornings/Evenings: La Roche-Posay Effaclar Micellar Water Ultra (or just water when I'm in the shower) - I tried organic brands but they do nothing for my skin. La Roche-Posay is with thermal water and really good.

Weekly: 1 - 2 facial masks (Luvos - organic)

Sometimes I use an enzyme peeling (Merz).

No cremes or anything because I can't stand those things.

Tags
None