Skincare - let's sperg about routines and products

Daughter of Cernunnos

evil, divine
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Doesn't look dull, but I kinda feel like COVID's made me a bit complacent with how I carry myself. Why would I bother pulling out all the stops if I'm not going getting hours at work or if I'm not able to actively go out with friends? I wanna get back into a 'routine' of sorts and I figure I have enough cash at the moment to 'invest' in something that's a step up from basic lotion, aftershave, and lip balm.

On the subjects of facial peels/washes, any good stuff you'd recommend? I've got more appropriate sunscreen than I'd care to admit because I thought I'd be going out more around this time.
The main thing you need to add is a face wash. The skin on the face is thinner and clogs more easily, so it's good to have a cleanser made for your face. Cetaphil gentle cleanser is a good one. I'd say part of your problem is attitude. Don't think that it's useless because you can't go out right now. Think of how nice it is to feel clean and healthy. I know this concept is really overdone and used by SJWs but consider it self care.
For peels/serums and other "extra stuff", which you don't need btw, I'd recommend anything high in niacinamide and a bakuchiol serum. Bakuchiol has the benefits of retinols without the side effects basically (like UV sensitivity). A good face sunscreen I will always recommend is Centella Green Level Sun Cream by Purito. It's a South Korean brand and sunscreens from South Korea, Japan, the UK and the EU typically have much better and more advanced formulations that are less disgusting to wear and just feel like a normal face cream. It's not waterproof, but good for everyday wear because really, you get UV damage everyday just from living a normal life.
Don't get sucked in by somethings' price. It's true for many things that you get what you pay for but cheaper drugstore skincare is usually made in the same facilities, by the same companies with the same ingredients; so buying expensive skincare is just paying a lot for markup.

FatalTater

Fattest Among Thousands, Altogether Lethargic
kiwifarms.net
My skin looks OK now save for the occasional zit, but those pores are still... larger than I would like.
Does anyone else in your family have large pores, if so it could just be genetic, not sure anything can fix that.
Patches of facial skin that have a citrus peel texture can be a sign of low thyroid hormones. If it's like that maybe have a doctor test for it, and check to see if any medications are interracting with thyroid function.

• Informative
Reactions: BadTakeCrucifier

BadTakeCrucifier

They should have never gave you niggas Twitter
kiwifarms.net
Does anyone else in your family have large pores, if so it could just be genetic, not sure anything can fix that.
Patches of facial skin that have a citrus peel texture can be a sign of low thyroid hormones. If it's like that maybe have a doctor test for it, and check to see if any medications are interracting with thyroid function.
Oily skin runs on one side of the family because of excessive hormones, not sure if that's the same thing as having large pores genetically. I didn't really have issues with my pores until I had chronic acne, then it became a problem.

Interesting, I'll look into the thyroid hormone thing! Now that you mention it, maybe I have low iodine... I've read that low iodine intake is still a common problem in modern day unless you eat a LOT of seafood or take supplements.

Reactions: FatalTater

FatalTater

Fattest Among Thousands, Altogether Lethargic
kiwifarms.net
If anyone wants a good quality soap that would make awesome Halloween or Goth bathroom decor, get Dr Squatch's Pine Tar soap. Solid black soap that has greyish suds. It's a lil' pricy at $7 per bar but it's a big solid chunk of soap that lasts.

I just reread that and it sounds like a commercial. Sorry not sorry, I just got this soap recently and I think it's pretty nifty and wanted to foist my opinion on the unsuspecting public.

Reactions: PolexiaAphrodisia

Cake Farts

Quaranbean
kiwifarms.net
I have oily skin that’s mostly clear (save from the occasional breakout) but I’m having some texture issues with small bumps. Anyone else deal with this too? How can I fix them?

Reactions: 23skidoo

christie

kiwifarms.net
What kind of sunscreen do you guys use?
I'm trying to find a high SPF without benzophenones.
what's your skintone? physical/mineral sunscreens typically have a cast (white film), so if you're tan or darker skinned i can recommend some with minimal cast so you don't have a ghostface killah thing going on

I have oily skin that’s mostly clear (save from the occasional breakout) but I’m having some texture issues with small bumps. Anyone else deal with this too? How can I fix them?
niacinamide is good for skin texture, you can either use a serum or use a moisturizer that has it. the ordinary has a niacinamide + zinc (zinc is good for acne as well) but it can kinda sting. if you have a more sensitive face, azelaic acid is also good for smoothing skin but is super gentle; so gentle it's recommended for treating conditions like rosacea. the ordinary also has a 10% azelaic acid product (prescription azelaic acid is 20%, i think paula's choice sells a serum with that concentration as well?). both are like $7 and available at ulta if you want to scoop them up and give them a try.

Bitch Kitten

you can't sit with us
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What kind of sunscreen do you guys use?
I'm trying to find a high SPF without benzophenones.
Babo or Think Baby both make great mineral sunscreens for the face. The primary ingredient is zinc based but Babo also has titanium dioxide. Neither use mincronized xinc. Babo's dries well but Think Baby Sport is better if you're doing something active that day.

Edit: They do slightly lighten a medium skintone but don't white face you

christie

kiwifarms.net
White as snow, a little pink at times. I don't want cancer but I also don't want terrible skin.
ah i see. i'm christie-colored and haven't tried to find a tinted mineral sunscreen to match my skin, so i just use chemical sunscreen. in particular, i use an HEB (texas grocery chain) brand spf 70, fragrance-free chemical sunscreen.

i've heard good things about elta md and la roche posay mineral sunscreens, but i believe aveeno baby and neutrogena sheer zinc are pretty good drugstore options as well. the casts aren't too bad from what i've seen on fair-medium skintones, and i think they're all 40-50+ SPF.

PolexiaAphrodisia

Life just kills me. Do you have any pot?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Does anyone have any tips on reducing razor burns? any time I shave my legs, even when using condition, I get all fucking cut up and shit.
Don't use shitty cheap razors, exfoliate first, and use coconut oil or hair conditioner on the skin. Then moisturize with a good lotion after.

Qajinima022

Sweets Lover
kiwifarms.net
I never take the time to wash my face like I used to do and I used Lacura hydrating. I might as well wash my face before I go to bed every night, and I wanted to take out these whiteheads off of my face, it makes it look like I have white freckles, and they're a pain to squeeze out of my skin. And my skin is mostly pretty dry.
s-l640.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Bitch Kitten

christie

kiwifarms.net
Does anyone have any tips on reducing razor burns? any time I shave my legs, even when using condition, I get all fucking cut up and shit.
  • use a chemically exfoliating cleanser (lactic/glycolic/salicylic acid washes) before shaving and let it sit for a couple minutes before you rinse it off.
  • use a fragrance-free, no-nonsense shaving cream made for sensitive skin.
  • make sure you're not using a crappy or dull razor, replace the head every few shaves or use disposables.
  • take your time, don't go over the same spot over and over, don't press too hard
  • moisturize immediately after you rinse, either while your skin is still completely wet ( or mostly damp.
  • dryness exacerbates irritation, so make sure to use a hydrating, occlusive moisturizer. if you'd like, (i do!) you can use a body serum first, then a moisturizing cream.

23skidoo

kiwifarms.net
Has anyone tried I Dew Care? They’re on amazon and say they’re K beauty. I got gifted the Yoga Kitten mask and it’s very soothing but I don’t know if it’s helping with acne like it claims. I also recently got Cetaphil’s mud mask because of the reviews.

I’m hunting for a good mask that helps with redness and small breakouts. Honestly anything to make my pores happy and make me less pink.

OttoWest

Face blind except vaginas
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A nice, cheap and convenient chemical exfoliant is Stridex in the red box. Always skin test first, just in case.

Tags
None