Skincare - let's sperg about routines and products

tigergrinder

kiwifarms.net
Yo so I just moved to a new state but my skin is kind of... not taking it too well. I'm gonna plan a dermatologist visit but I have a question:

Has anyone tried the Trader Joe's Ultra Hydrating Gel Moisturizer? I saw someone raving about it as their holy grail and it piqued my curiosity. I use two moisturizers right now but my forehead still has that orange peel, dehydrated texture. So if anyone's used it, please give me your thoughts on it.

• Feels
Reactions: Shield Breaker

christie

kiwifarms.net
i've never tried that moisturizer (i haven't been to trader joe's in years!). i found a video review of it by dr dray, saying she thinks it's a nice light gel, but recommends topping off with a more occlusive moisturizer. looking at other reviews elsewhere, it does look like it's pretty lightweight and may not provide enough hydration for you on its own. i love gel moisturizers though, i recently started using the aveeno oat gel moisturizer and i'm pleased with it so far.

i'm hardheaded so i went ahead and used the peel on my face last night. it did sting a bit in some areas upon application (especially where i forgot i had a little scratch on my nose. omfg.) but after screaming internally for a few seconds, it subsided and i was able to sit there pain-free and revel in how much i looked like i had blood all over my face. my face was sooo smooth upon rinsing. i moisturized with hada labo HA lotion + aveeno oat gel moisturizer and didn't have any issues with dryness or irritation.

looking forward to using it again next week!

Lucifer's Rectum

Rapidly deteriorating mental state
kiwifarms.net
Recently I've been using CeraVe's cleanser and morning/night moisturizers for oily skin. They're definitely a huge improvement over whatever cheaper shit I was using before, and my skin is somewhat clear now but honestly I don't think it's enough. I still get a bit of acne here and there and have no fucking clue what to add/change at this point.

BroccoliBrain

my corpus callosum is green
kiwifarms.net
I'm not into skincare youtubers at all but I watched just a few of Dr Dray's videos before deciding to get tips elsewhere, kinda weird to put 'Dr' in your username when you're not practicing and I just can't take advice from someone with a shrill crazy lady voice and an obvious eating disorder.

tigergrinder

kiwifarms.net
I'm not into skincare youtubers at all but I watched just a few of Dr Dray's videos before deciding to get tips elsewhere, kinda weird to put 'Dr' in your username when you're not practicing and I just can't take advice from someone with a shrill crazy lady voice and an obvious eating disorder.

Oh man. I heard some stories about her, like someone said she used to be a ballerina and that's where the eating disorder came from.

• Informative
Reactions: Shield Breaker

bbfx

Allah Kedavra
kiwifarms.net
Recently I've been using CeraVe's cleanser and morning/night moisturizers for oily skin. They're definitely a huge improvement over whatever cheaper shit I was using before, and my skin is somewhat clear now but honestly I don't think it's enough. I still get a bit of acne here and there and have no fucking clue what to add/change at this point.
Cerave is a wonderful line.

Some things that actually helped for my acne:
  • Epiduo gel, which is benzoyl peroxide + adapalene. You need prescription where I'm at, maybe you don't where you are. I use it as spot treatment now. Cleared my skin out when I started it, really night and day.
  • Retinol. It really just is your skin's bff. I use the Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion by The Ordinary. It's very delicate, I love it both for anti ageing and keeping acne under control. Really good product, made a sensible difference for my skin.
  • AHA/BHA. Does a good job at keeping your skin clean and nice. Some that I liked for "beginners" are the ones from Geek and Gorgeous and CosRX. When you feel ready to peel your face raw, The Ordinary 30% AHA + 2% BHA is good, but Drunk Elephant Sukari baby facial will always be the best way to waste my money.
Not worthy of my list of actives because it's not as backed by science as the others, but I also really, really like Herbivore Blue Tansy for acne. It's very delicate but does its job.

You cannot use all of this together or you'll really destroy your skin barrier into shreds and it's going to hurt. Mandatory sunscreen if you use any of these products.

Beluga

Just a little white whale on the go
kiwifarms.net
Are retinol and AHA/BHA only suitable for people with oily skin or acne?

Lucifer's Rectum

Rapidly deteriorating mental state
kiwifarms.net
Cerave is a wonderful line.

Some things that actually helped for my acne:
  • Epiduo gel, which is benzoyl peroxide + adapalene. You need prescription where I'm at, maybe you don't where you are. I use it as spot treatment now. Cleared my skin out when I started it, really night and day.
  • Retinol. It really just is your skin's bff. I use the Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion by The Ordinary. It's very delicate, I love it both for anti ageing and keeping acne under control. Really good product, made a sensible difference for my skin.
  • AHA/BHA. Does a good job at keeping your skin clean and nice. Some that I liked for "beginners" are the ones from Geek and Gorgeous and CosRX. When you feel ready to peel your face raw, The Ordinary 30% AHA + 2% BHA is good, but Drunk Elephant Sukari baby facial will always be the best way to waste my money.
Not worthy of my list of actives because it's not as backed by science as the others, but I also really, really like Herbivore Blue Tansy for acne. It's very delicate but does its job.

You cannot use all of this together or you'll really destroy your skin barrier into shreds and it's going to hurt. Mandatory sunscreen if you use any of these products.
Thanks for the tips, I'm pretty sure Epiduo gel needs a perscription in my area as well, so I'll speak to my doctor about that whenever I see him next. I'll have to look into trying out either Retinol or AHA/BHA. Would you suggest starting off with the AHA/BHA toner that CosRX makes? I've never really used a toner before but my understanding is you can just add them to your routine without much change.

bbfx

Allah Kedavra
kiwifarms.net
Are retinol and AHA/BHA only suitable for people with oily skin or acne?
No. AHA is really good if you have dry skin, it helps avoiding all that flakiness. Retinol can dry you out, but the Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion by The Ordinary didn't dry me out at all.

Thanks for the tips, I'm pretty sure Epiduo gel needs a perscription in my area as well, so I'll speak to my doctor about that whenever I see him next. I'll have to look into trying out either Retinol or AHA/BHA. Would you suggest starting off with the AHA/BHA toner that CosRX makes? I've never really used a toner before but my understanding is you can just add them to your routine without much change.
I think that th AHA/BHA toner is way too mild to use it as an exfoliator. I can't find the one I used to have. I'd advise to go for something that has around 1-2% of BHA and the percentage of AHA depends on the kind of acids you go for, but don't go over the top.
I think something like this could be a great choice as a first acid: https://geekandgorgeous.com/products/cheer-up

Last edited:

christie

kiwifarms.net
yeah that's why i hesitate to recommend people to her. i completely skip over her exercise/food shit and try not to notice how clearly underweight she is. her mom seems really sweet though.

i just appreciate how thorough she is and i've learned a lot from her videos, which has done wonders for my skin. i admittedly don't watch other skincare channels (i would like to look for a derm channel specializing in ethnic skincare one of these days) so i can't compare, but i can get through her videos. especially since she covers like, every ingredient/product/topic i've been curious about so far.

christie

kiwifarms.net
just popping back in to update on my foray into exfoliating with acids~

as a quick note up front: i'm impatient, willing to fuck my face up, and i'm not one to worry about redness because you can only see it on my nose. do as i say, not as i do lol. some post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation and pore congestion on my cheeks are really my only issues at this point-- maybe mild hormonal acne, but i haven't gotten my cycle since refining my routine to tell if that's been lessened.

along with the ordinary peeling solution, i also picked up their 10% lactic acid + HA because i can't leave ulta without getting shit i didn't come in there for. i figured it would be nice to exfoliate with in between the peeling solution, which i've decided to use weekly at most so my face doesn't fall off. it stung just a little bit the first couple of days, but that subsided just like my experience with the niacinamide + zinc. i can tell a huge difference in the texture of my face and feel my serums/moisturizers can work their magic better. my skin is finally smooth, glowing, and dewy, not greasy! ♥

because i can't control myself, i also recently ordered the ordinary's 7% glycolic acid toner (i wanted to try their foundation and i needed to get the free shipping minimum, okay) because i've heard good things about it as well and it comes in a good sized bottle. i decided to use this instead of the lactic acid for now, maybe alternate at some point. i'll have to come back and talk about my feelings on this one in the future since i only started using it last night, but i'm looking forward to seeing what it can do for my skin. definitely stings as well though, but nothing too major and will likely dissipate over time.

flight of ideas

down here your cow floats
kiwifarms.net
Has anyone tried the Trader Joe's Ultra Hydrating Gel Moisturizer? I saw someone raving about it as their holy grail and it piqued my curiosity.
never used the gel but i swore by their lotion moisturizer for years, cheap and effective with a very mild almond-y scent. i finally ran out awhile ago and just couldn’t be bothered to go to TJ’s so i switched to olay’s age-defying anti-wrinkle day lotion with spf 15. years ago i used the regular olay moisturizer but now i need the anti-wrinkle properties, lol. might switch back if i manage to drag myself to the TJ’s though.

rocknrollmartian

kiwifarms.net
Yo so I just moved to a new state but my skin is kind of... not taking it too well. I'm gonna plan a dermatologist visit but I have a question:

Has anyone tried the Trader Joe's Ultra Hydrating Gel Moisturizer? I saw someone raving about it as their holy grail and it piqued my curiosity. I use two moisturizers right now but my forehead still has that orange peel, dehydrated texture. So if anyone's used it, please give me your thoughts on it.

Are you using an occlusive over your current moisturizers?

PolexiaAphrodisia

Life just kills me. Do you have any pot?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ok Kiwis! Finally got to the big bougie Ulta and got

The Ordinary niacinamide 10% + zinc 1%
The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% peeling solution
The Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% + HA
Cetaphil daily moisturizer with SPF50 since I have no spf

Primary Concerns: uneven skin tone, super oily skin all over face, hyperpigmentation from acne scars, breakouts primarily focused on chin and jaw (not helped by mask)

How do I use these best???

bbfx

Allah Kedavra
kiwifarms.net
Ok Kiwis! Finally got to the big bougie Ulta and got

The Ordinary niacinamide 10% + zinc 1%
The Ordinary AHA 30% + BHA 2% peeling solution
The Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% + HA
Cetaphil daily moisturizer with SPF50 since I have no spf

Primary Concerns: uneven skin tone, super oily skin all over face, hyperpigmentation from acne scars, breakouts primarily focused on chin and jaw (not helped by mask)

How do I use these best???
I'd buy a moisturiser without SPF (for PM) and a cleanser. Cerave is a good cleanser.

Morning:
>cleanser
>niacinamide 10% + zinc 1%
>cetaphil daily moisturiser

Evening:
>cleanser
>Monday and Friday - Lactic acid 10% + HA
>Wednesday - AHA 30% + BHA 2%
>Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday - niacinamide + zinc 1%
>moisturiser

Also don't know if it's a necessary reminder but introduce one new product every week, and not them all togehter, in case one of them breaks you out. And patch test the acids.

Last edited:

PolexiaAphrodisia

Life just kills me. Do you have any pot?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'd buy a moisturiser without SPF (for PM) and a cleanser. Cerave is a good cleanser.

Morning:
>cleanser
>niacinamide 10% + zinc 1%
>cetaphil daily moisturiser

Evening:
>cleanser
>Monday and Friday - Lactic acid 10% + HA
>Wednesday - AHA 30% + BHA 2%
>Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday - niacinamide + zinc 1%
>moisturiser

Also don't know if it's a necessary reminder but introduce one new product every week, and not them all togehter, in case one of them breaks you out. And patch test the acids.
I've got a moisturizer and cleanser, good to go there! I'll write this routine down and tape it to my mirror. Thank you!

Reactions: bbfx

bbfx

Allah Kedavra
kiwifarms.net
I've been very into skincare for 5 years. I've changed my routine a lot lately because I had the sudden realisation I'm an old hag. My skin is normal in terms of oil, but very acne prone.

Morning:
>Cleanser: Hydrating facial cleanser by Cerave
>Serum: Buffet + Copper peptides 1% by The Ordinary (still testing)
>Moisturiser
>Sunscreen: SPF 46 UV Clear, Elta MD

Evening:
>Cleanser: All Clean by Heimish + Hydrating facial cleanser by Cerave
>Mask (sometimes)
>Serum: CAIS by NIOD, Granactive Retinoid 2% Emulsion by The Ordinary and Centella Unscented Serum by Purito (still testing)
>Moisturiser

My masks are Sukari Baby Facial by Drunk Elephant (once a week), Blue Tansy by Herbivore (once or twice a week), and Aura Manuka by Antipodes.
I have a few moisturisers I like using depending on weather and state of my face.
This summer I used the Clear Mega-Hydrating cream by Shiseido WASO. In winter I mostly use the Rich Moist soothing cream by Klair's.
I have a few more creams I like adding before/after my main moisturiser depending on how dry my skin is, the weather or how much I mistreated my face with acids: Liquid Gold by Stratia, Ceramidin Cream by Dr Jart, and Midnight calming cream by Klair's.