Skincare - let's sperg about routines and products

Doctor Ivo Robotnik Sr.

SNOOPING AS USUAL I SEE
kiwifarms.net
I also have a problem that sometimes my skin gets really puffy.

I think it may have to do with not getting enough sleep, but I'm wondering if there is something I can do to mitgate it (I can't always get the full hours)

bbfx

Allah Kedavra
kiwifarms.net
My skin is being a massive cunt because hOrMoNeS and it became randomly dry as fuck, full of acne and hyper sensitive, so I bought the Hada Labo Premium thingy. I'll report back and tell you if I love it as much as everybody else on the internet.

What skincare routines do you use?
It really depends on what concerns you want to address, what kind of skin type you have (oily, dry, normal, combination, sensitive, acne prone, mature, etc), the climate you live in (temperature, wind and dryness) and your budget.

I think that a very basic one could be a cleanser, a moisturiser and a SPF.
I'm a broken record, but I absolutely love Cerave hydrating cleanser. It's very affordable, very delicate and really does its job. Avoid anything aggressive, if your skin feel stripped and tight after you wash your face, then look for something less aggressive.
My skin is a mess right now, but my go to moisturiser is the Klair's Rich Moist Soothing cream in winter. If you want something lighter, I can recommend Youth to the People Superfood air-whip Moisture cream.
SPF should be an everyday thing and your absolute best friend. The only one that doesn't break me out is the Elta MD one, but it's a pain in the ass to get outside of the US and expensive. I've heard good things about Purito, Biore, Krave and other SPFs.

I'd say to start here and then add as you need.

I don't personally have this problem, but if I had to guess I'd say that cold stuff should help. Keeping a roller in the fridge and massaging your face could possibly help.

Last edited:

Pineapple Fox

For conversations sake
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Any suggestions for a fellow kiwi with Eczema? I'm always searching for lotions, but nothing seems to work.
Honestly I would recommend going to see a dermatologist, I had eczema for years and regular hydrocortisone cream wasn't working for me so I went and they hooked me up with two different creams, one for my eyes and one for my arms/elbow ditch - haven't had issues for years.

christie

kiwifarms.net
hey y'all, i fucked my face up.

well i'm possibly being a little dramatic (me? never.) but i did make my skin angry. the walmart by me finally started selling zapzyt cleanser. it was like $4, so i bought it and started using it on my face and body in the morning. mind you, i'd been slacking on my AHAs because i suck. after a couple of days, i noticed my skin was peeling like a mf. not peeling as in visibly dry, flaky skin (that came later), but peeling as in, when rinsing and drying off, i had dead skin sloughing off onto my hands/towel. which was just as gross as it sounds. my face also burned upon application of any of my products. sooo.. oops.

i've had issues with daily salicylic acid use in the past, but since i'm dumb i expected different results after doing the same thing. i've been holding off on my acids and only using my gentlest cleansers/moisturizers to make sure my face doesn't fall off, and after about a week my face has finally calmed down. it's done a good job drying out my hormonal acne but i'll definitely have to use it a lot less frequently. do as i say, not as i do.

Salade Nicoise

A healthy French lunch.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Any suggestions for a fellow kiwi with Eczema? I'm always searching for lotions, but nothing seems to work.
I second the recommendation to go to a derm if you can. Nothing touched the active eczema flares and brought down the itch like prescriptions. Plus he gives me different creams for body and face which makes a huge difference.

Other than getting the actual itch/dryness under control with medicated creams, the best thing he advised me is when I'm in a sensitive skin shit storm and everything is acting up is to stick to oil-free moisturisers/products in general. Because oils were a big trigger for me if I hit the perfect storm of stressed/dehydrated/weather changes. The Neutrogena Oil-Free moisturiser for sensitive skin totally does the job. If you have some $$ and wanna be a bit lush, my go to is Kate Somerville Oil Free Moisture. Both will nourish the skin, keep it cool and calm things down.

Daughter of Cernunnos

Ghost husb@ndos
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My skin is constantly oily, and it's grossing me out, but around this time of year I also start getting dry flaky skin on my face. I am also getting gross acne breakouts.

Please help me and tell me what to use on my retarded face.
The Ordinary niacinamide serum.
the nice lady at sephora who hustled me into the caudalie holiday box set (such a value!!1!) stressed that everything was made from grapes/grape extract and natural extracts etc so wouldn’t have the artificial fragrance that many products seem to do (i get a stuffy nose just walking down the detergent aisle at target lol). she is correct on that front; whether it “evens out my skin tone over time” i have yet to see.

i would love to know more about the immune types thing you mentioned if you can point a gorl toward further reading. trying to get my life right.
Was she basically saying that it won't irritate your skin because it has natural fragrance? That is a really common misconception. Some popular natural ingredients can be really irritating, like lavender and citrus. There are some natural ingredients that do genuinely benefit your skin, if you aren't allergic to it of course, and one of those is Centella Asiatica but it's more common in Asian products. I'm sure there's more I'm not thinking of off the top of my head.
i too am a skeptical motherfucker despite appearances to the contrary, so thank you! got to get my creaking and cracking down to a dull roar.

i love a good protocol in any case. where was the gallbladder diet everyone hollers at chantal for not following when i needed it lo these many years ago, hmm?

back on topic, can anyone recommend a sort of “starter” product from the ordinary? everything seems to get wonderful reviews but i get a bit lost about what cream to use when and which is most important and how much acid to use without peeling my whole face off.
Their NMF moisturizer is really good and cheap. Some people complain about their treatment serums because they say they are tacky, pill, are bad for layering or just generally have a bad texture. This has not been my personal experience. But the NMF cream sinks in well.
i’m really just getting started with embracing skincare as a Thing I Do Now, but my primary concerns are reducing the hyperpigmentation of old acne scars and also slowing the onset of wrinkles especially on my neck. my skin is mostly dry, not terribly sensitive, and very fair/white and paper thin such that a tiny spot can take weeks to disappear. i get hormonal acne at my jawline but not much else anymore. i was thinking a toner might be good? right now all i have is dr thayer’s witch hazel spray with rose water which is lovely but i don’t know if it’s doing anything.

for context if it is helpful, i already use: fresh strawberry facial scrub, the caudalie vinoperfect serum, dr thayer’s, and olay wrinkle defense day lotion. i also have an eye cream for nighttime by fresh that smells like a cup of tea that i love, and the caudalie serum came with small pots of day and night cream in the box set. oh and i have neutrogena triple defense wrinkle cream (again, i feel bad about my neck) but i haven’t really been using it, and i use cetaphil cleanser on my face alternating with the strawberry scrub when it ~*feels uwu*~ like a physical exfoliant might be too much. i don’t wear makeup daily for work reasons but if i do i use neutrogena’s oil cleanser to get it off my face.

thank you for your indulgence and for any help you can offer, i am new at this.
Toner doesn't really do anything. It can help really oily skin though. Especially the ones with alcohol that people bitch about. It can also wet your skin which it should be wet right before you apply cream. There's nothing wrong with your products or routine but most skincare people think you should cleanse your face separately from a scrub and not use a scrub as your main cleansing method.
You're investing in your skin with the retinol so make sure to wear sunscreen everyday or at least when you go outside or you will cancel out the work you're doing. The Korean Purito sunscreens are really good. I buy them off Stylevana and get free shipping to Canada which can be pretty rare. They are so gentle they don't hurt even if you put them on the skin of your eyelids and under eyes.
I get hormonal acne on my jawline too and I've read it's a really common spot. I'm on birth control. I don't get what is actually going on with hormones that makes it specifically the jaw. If anyone could explain the science of that that would be great.
In my opinion Colloidal Silver is the best cure against acne, acne marks skin redness. I bought a cs cream a week ago on Amazon and since then my face looks 100% better it's crazy. Nothing I tried before worked but then boom in only a few days my problems vanished.

I was kinda sceptical when I read the Amazon reviews but now I believe them. Apparently Colloidal Silver works for a variety of problems like warts, blisters, wounds etc.

For everyone who has skin problems that just won't go away I recommend trying cs.
I've been hearing good things about Hypochlorous acid too. Has anyone tried it? My sister used it after getting into a streetfight and said it didn't burn on an open wound.
I wake up get dressed sometimes put deodarant on brush teeth and go to work. Get home after work and most days take a shower with shampoo and soap.
Degenerate! Get off our thread!
I'd like some recommendations. I'm in my early 20s and I have really dull skin, not particularly oily or dry (I had really oily skin during puberty but thankfully it's considered "normal" now). prone to breakouts, but moisturizers with salicylic acid are fine on my skin. I used a hyaluronic acid spray for a little bit, but it didn't really do anything for my skin (I forget what brand it was, but it was bought at Winners so I don't think it was the best).
I'm mostly looking for products that will brighten/hydrate/give me that glowy look. thanks!
Vitamin C is best for glowiness and brightening. The Ordinary (TO) makes a lot of different ones. They make gentler ones and stronger ones made from pure absorbic acid. They also make a really good face cream that sinks in well called Natural Moisturizing Factors.
Gang has anyone had any luck with at home LED masks? I'm contemplating the Dr Dennis Gross one but it's so expensive so wanted to see if any of y'all had any experiences with light therapy - at home, clinical or otherwise.

Also fuck it, imma drop the current routine. I have a high stress job so hormonal acne is the bane of my life, and I also have quite sensitive skin. I manage ok with the retinol, but I have to be really careful with exfoliants (they can cause eczema flaring in a flash if I'm not careful). I used to do the 2% salicylic/5% aha acid daily... and I wondered why my face was always on fire. Now I'm down to a fortnightly chemical exfo, I think the gentle daily physical exfo. I get from my face cloth is probably enough.

AM:
Cleanser - whatever is gentle in my shower. Cerave, Cetaphil. Whatever.
The Ordinary Niacinimide
Some form of hyaluronic - The Ordinary, Neutrogena hydroboost, Hydraluron
Kate Somerville Oil-Free moisture
SPF - either basic LRP Anthelios XL or a local brand, Mecca Cosmetica sunscreen for face.

PM:
Cleanser - Double cleanse with an oil/balm first then something a little nicer for night time self care bullshit. Currently bog standard Clinique Take the Day Off balm followed by REN Rosa Centifolia cleanser.
Prescription retinoid (Retrieve)
Hyaluronic as above
Kate Somerville as above

The once a week I have my own dumb mini facial evening:
After cleansing...
Omorovicza Clay Mask
Then I alternate: Dermaroll entire face (0.5) OR The Ordinary 30% AHA. So end up doing both treatments fortnightly, alternated.
Hyaluronic as above
Kate Somerville Age Arrest cream

I do love my Kate Somerville. OH and a couple of times a year I get my face lasered within an inch of itself at my derm. For a week or so after that I use a special balm he gives me for recovery, full of polymers and phospholipids. It's thiccc and beautiful.
Damn, that's a good routine. Do you ever use Korean sunscreen? What kind of laser did you get?

I think it may have to do with not getting enough sleep, but I'm wondering if there is something I can do to mitgate it (I can't always get the full hours)
Caffeine topically can help. The Ordinary makes a serum of it that also has antioxidants and it's good.
Is it OK to use St. Ives lotion on your face?
Yes, as long as it doesn't bother you. Face lotions are formulated to clog your pores less though but if it's not clogging your pores or irritating your skin then you do you.
---
I've been wanting to get an LED skin treatment at a clinic. It's more of those "medspa" with actually just estheticians and I've read that LED skin devices have been tested and have wildly varying strengths and I'm scared I will waste my money and the light won't be strong enough to do anything. Has anyone had an LED skin treatment before and can I reasonably assume that I'd get something powerful enough to have real effect?
Did anyone see Deceim aka the company that makes The Ordinary lecturing about overconsumption and being anti-Black Friday by having a 23 percent off month sale in... November (just happens to be the Black Friday month)? That just felt so fake to me. Total virtue signaling.
Is it really true according to hard science that jawline acne is hormonal? I keep seeing this said but no sources to back it up. I've found stuff about holistic facemapping and how each area supposedly corresponds to a specific organ system in the body but that sounds like pseudoscience to me.

A borscht-on

He'll tap my ass if he needs air, and that's it.
kiwifarms.net
Don't know if anyone has tried this line, but...

I bought a couple of sample boxes of Bioderma skincare products, and I've gotta say, this stuff is some of the nicest I've used in a while. There are no detergents, perfumes or fragrances (I had to stop using Clarins because of that very reason), dyes, and so far, every product is extremely mild and does exactly what it says it'll do. I've used the blue (hydrating), pink (sensitive), and green product lines; the green seems more formulated for oily / combination skin, so I mostly use the other two. I'll just refer to them by colour from here on in...

The micellar waters--both blue and pink--are wonderful, and don't leave the film on my face that so many others do. Their pink face wash is gentle and will remove the most stubborn of eye makeup. The blue serum isn't greasy, the green pore reducer seems to work beautifully as a spot treatment, and the blue moisturizer is lightweight and smooth. I think this line was created by dermatologists in France, and I'm a convert; it's also cost-effective and you can find it in drugstores. I still use my other products, but my skin hasn't looked or felt this healthy in a very long while.

I will also unabashedly announce that I drink about 5L of water every day--in various forms, such as fizzed up with my Sodastream, with green teabags, with slices of citrus--and this honestly really seems to be key. Still have a couple of cups of coffee, love my black tea, but straight water is what I drink 90% of the time. I used to drink alcohol until it became a big ol' problem, and quitting that stuff brightened everything up almost overnight.

Salade Nicoise

A healthy French lunch.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Damn, that's a good routine. Do you ever use Korean sunscreen? What kind of laser did you get?
I haven't used Korean sunscreen, no. With full blown Australian sun (cheers massive hole in the ozone layer) we have to be extra careful down here. So things that are rated to like an SPF 50 in some parts of the world don't meet our standards, so get labelled like an SPF 15. So I stick to either local, or at least Australian-recognised. When I lived in the US I still used La Roche Posay mainly... a little Paula's Choice occasionally and the Elizabeth Arden Prevage one when I was feeling riiicchhhh (not often!).

And I get Fraxel laser. Hurts like a motherfucker, my derm doesn't use a numbing agent (it's apparently quite an American thing). So I take some ibuprofen and literally smoke some weed before I go in lol.

I will also unabashedly announce that I drink about 5L of water every day--in various forms, such as fizzed up with my Sodastream, with green teabags, with slices of citrus--and this honestly really seems to be key.
Couldn't agree with this more. A butt ton of hydration internally and externally works fucking miracles.

A borscht-on

He'll tap my ass if he needs air, and that's it.
kiwifarms.net
Try this stuff:

My mom and dad go to Hawaii every year, and they bring this back for me every time. It's available online and on Amazon; they have a couple of these with light fragrances, but this fragrance-free version is probably the best. It's nice as a general moisturizer, but it has has worked wonders on skin disorders, rashes, and mild eczema cases that a couple of people very close to me suffer from.

Best part is, there is absolutely no crap in it, so you have to use it in at least six months' time, or you can smell it going rancid.

bbfx

Allah Kedavra
kiwifarms.net
Well, turns out that it wasn't my hormones, but I was having a reaction to a face mask (the corona virus ones, not the skincare ones). I switched out brand of masks and it stopped getting worse.
But my face kept peeling off for a whole week, then I started having an acne breakout, and just now it's calming down a bit.

I fucking hate my face.

PolexiaAphrodisia

Life just kills me. Do you have any pot?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yep, thanks to masks I have permanent jaw acne now. The Ordinary products have been great with overall issues and oil production, but that maskne isn't going away anytime soon. I wash my cloth ones and try to wear the disposable ones if I have to wear one for a long ass time, but I hate how fucking wasteful they are. And I can't even wear foundation to cover it up (even though I stopped daily wear back in January) because it gets the mask disgusting.

• Feels
Reactions: Beluga

bbfx

Allah Kedavra
kiwifarms.net
Yep, thanks to masks I have permanent jaw acne now. The Ordinary products have been great with overall issues and oil production, but that maskne isn't going away anytime soon. I wash my cloth ones and try to wear the disposable ones if I have to wear one for a long ass time, but I hate how fucking wasteful they are. And I can't even wear foundation to cover it up (even though I stopped daily wear back in January) because it gets the mask disgusting.
I've had luck with Granactive Retinoid Emulsion by the Ordinary for my previous maskne breakouts.

This time I've used Epiduo as a spot treatment now that my face is still peeling and it has done wonders.
Now I just have to wait for my face to stop bleeding in the spots where my skin is raw. I'm just glad that I can put a mask on and look presentable.

Swagstika

Everyone is cooler than me and it makes me sad
kiwifarms.net
I cut regular hydrocolloid blister bandaids into strips for where the mask chafes. You can also get the thinner, more discrete patches for acne that you only notice if you're within arms reach.

Reactions: bbfx

Virgo

Be afraid of who you are.
kiwifarms.net
I switched from Nivea Day/Night creams and cleansing my face twice daily to... one moisturizer by 40 Carrots twice a day with some sunscreen on top. I use my face cleanser only in the shower now as a scrub and just rinse my face with water otherwise. I had no idea what to expect because I just presumed nice skin was never going to happen for me but...

My skin is no longer dry, flaky, red, spotty, and haggard looking. Dark/hyperpigmented areas from acne damage are fading within a week. Whatever is in this 40 carrots shit is amazing. My skin is finally behaving. Thank you, God. I have not had relatively clean skin in years.

images - 2020-11-21T233105.623.jpeg

bbfx

Allah Kedavra
kiwifarms.net
I'm really loving the Hada Labo premium lotion. It really changed my skin, and works even better than expensive hyaluronic acid serums like the MMHC from NIOD.
It also makes me very upset because I'm a sucker for pretty packaging and it looks really off compared to the rest of my collection. But it's still worth it.

Other than that, whatever was happening to my face calmed down. Did an acid peel for the first time in a month a couple days ago.

Positive Vulture

kiwifarms.net
Eczema has been my worst enemy for as long as I can remember. Aside from going to a derm/your GP and getting medicated ointments to get flareups under control, there are a couple of things I've come to rely on. In particular, using antihistamines to control the compulsion to itch, and my favourite wonder ointment - Bepanthen. It's an Australian product, but I'm sure there's comparable products on the market everywhere. Marketed as a nappy rash cream, but used for tattoo healing and all sorts of crap. So soothing and moisturising.
Have you considered trying tretinoin? IIRC you can buy it online from abroad to make it a lot more affordable. I think you purge when you start using it but from what I've seen the results are pretty impressive.
I'm really loving the Hada Labo premium lotion. It really changed my skin, and works even better than expensive hyaluronic acid serums like the MMHC from NIOD.
It also makes me very upset because I'm a sucker for pretty packaging and it looks really off compared to the rest of my collection. But it's still worth it.

Other than that, whatever was happening to my face calmed down. Did an acid peel for the first time in a month a couple days ago.
I tried a Hada Labo product for the first time recently - their hyaluronic cleanser. My skin absolutely loves it. Maybe I'll have to try the lotion too - but I agree about the packaging. This is why I love The Ordinary/ALPHA H products so much with their bland, shiny minimalism.

• Feels
Reactions: bbfx

Medical Hawaii

Whatever it is, I'm against it!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

I'm about halfway through my bottle of the extra moist hydrating milk "toner," I love it!
Have you tried First Aid Beauty's Ultra Repair Hydrating cream? It has colloidal oatmeal in it, too. I use that.
And besides lotions, if your eczema is severe enough, you might be able to get on Dupixent! It's a shot you give yourself twice a month and it's helped a lot of people. Ask your doctor about it and see if your insurance would cover it!
Is it OK to use St. Ives lotion on your face?
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO pls don't

Reactions: Positive Vulture