Off-Topic Skincare - let's sperg about routines and products

Sparklepants

Concerningly greasy
kiwifarms.net
Mandelic acid (toner and/or peels) and a manual comedone extractor.

The blackheads on my nose literally poured out of my skin after three days of using mandelic acid toner. It makes them really easy to extract and keeps them from coming back. My mother and husband both had similar results.
Percentage? I see a peel that's 40% and one that's 10% and I don't want to melt my face off.

ricecake

Food Attic
kiwifarms.net
Percentage? I see a peel that's 40% and one that's 10% and I don't want to melt my face off.
For a peel? Start with the lowest percentage and leave it on for 5 minutes. Increase time left on and strength gradually. Mandelic acid is pretty gentle compared to lactic acid, etc.

My toner is only 2.5-3% I think. I use that every day unless I am planning to do a peel on the weekend. Then I stop using it after Wednesday.

Sparklepants

Concerningly greasy
kiwifarms.net
For a peel? Start with the lowest percentage and leave it on for 5 minutes. Increase time left on and strength gradually. Mandelic acid is pretty gentle compared to lactic acid, etc.

My toner is only 2.5-3% I think. I use that every day unless I am planning to do a peel on the weekend. Then I stop using it after Wednesday.
Awesome, thanks! I usually use a premixed peeling jelly, so I don't know much about actual peels.

Reactions: ricecake

HIVidaBoheme

Intersectional basic bitch
kiwifarms.net

I wanted to try mandelic acid, is it meant to be applied at night? Or is it safe to use if you'll be exposed to sunlight?

ricecake

Food Attic
kiwifarms.net
I wanted to try mandelic acid, is it meant to be applied at night? Or is it safe to use if you'll be exposed to sunlight?
I think they recommend staying out of the sun for 24 hours. I do it in the evening and just put my regular SPF 15 moisturizer on in the morning to go out for regular work/errands. I wouldn't do one the night before I was going to the beach or hiking or whatever.

Reactions: HIVidaBoheme

gachacunt

dudes with lizard heads, chicks with fat tats!
kiwifarms.net
Hey guys, first time posting. I want to add more variety to my facial care and hopefully improve my skin's clarity and shine. Do you guys have any recommendations for inexpensive, but effective skin products ( bonus points if its those " natural " products )? My skin's very dry, oily and fairly sensitive to acne. Thanks in advance!

• Informative
Reactions: heathercho

heathercho

私の両手を奪ったのはあなたよっ !
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Hey guys, first time posting. I want to add more variety to my facial care and hopefully improve my skin's clarity and shine. Do you guys have any recommendations for inexpensive, but effective skin products ( bonus points if its those " natural " products )? My skin's very dry, oily and fairly sensitive to acne. Thanks in advance!
Sukin is really good, though not sure if your country would have it. They're inexpensive but very high quality. I'd recommend some more stuff like awesome korean and japanese natural brands but they're probably impossible to get and expensive, but damn so good. Sukin though may be available to you.

Toasty

You have an appointment
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Hi. Looking for some suggestions. I'm just about out of my normal face cleanser. I usually use Olay age defying. I am 40. Old fag I know. Skin runs on the dry side. I use a witch hazel toner and an Olay ultra moisturizer. Pretty basic. Lucky for me I was a goth girl thru my teens and twenties, so sun damage is a non issue, and wrinkles aren't bad. On the whole my skin is pretty good. But since I gotta buy a new cleanser soon, looking for some ideas that might be better.
PS we're talking drug store. Poor.

rabbitgay

lobotomy chic
kiwifarms.net
i use just water and the drunk elephant protini whatever the fuck moisturizer in the morning, then tretinoin cream at night. i also use the drunk elephant sukari babyfacial once a week to exfoliate.
i actually bought the drunk elephant protini polypeptide cream for my hands in the winter because theyd get so dry they would crack and bleed and that shit was the only moisturizer that helped. i started using it for my face when i got prescribed tretinoin cream bc it dried me out so badly and it did wonders for how my skin felt to the touch.
and yeah drunk elephant is expensive but my skin is oddly resistant to moisturizers and god knows how flaky and gross id be without it

• Informative
Reactions: rocknrollmartian

A Pumpkin

kiwifarms.net
If you can, try to go to an esthetician school. The one I went to gives cheaper spices because it’s students doing the work. Unfortunately that was long enough ago for me to forget almost everything (I didn’t end up working I’m skin care and I let my skin go to shit for a while).

I’m just starting to really get back on track with trying new products. Rn I’m just trying to take care of my eye area and see what I can do about acne scars on my back.

I did have a strong TCA peel that really helped years ago, from my school. But it took a month to heal and because of life stuff I didn’t go back for another round (and I moved out of state sadly). But it’s still 100% worth going to a school if you can to get a good idea of what your skin needs and some discounted treatments.

ricecake

Food Attic
kiwifarms.net
Hi. Looking for some suggestions. I'm just about out of my normal face cleanser. I usually use Olay age defying. I am 40. Old fag I know. Skin runs on the dry side. I use a witch hazel toner and an Olay ultra moisturizer. Pretty basic. Lucky for me I was a goth girl thru my teens and twenties, so sun damage is a non issue, and wrinkles aren't bad. On the whole my skin is pretty good. But since I gotta buy a new cleanser soon, looking for some ideas that might be better.
PS we're talking drug store. Poor.
I heard that Neutrogena Oil-Control Foaming Cleanser is a dupe (or close to it) for Origins Checks and Balances Frothing Cleanser, which I really love for an all-purpose face wash. I have dry skin, too, so I always shied away from anything that said that it controlled oil, but the Origins cleanser leaves my skin really clear and soft. I just make sure that I always use moisturizer after.

I haven't tried the Neutrogena one but it is on my list. Origins isn't really that bad of a price (it's like $23 for a tube that lasts a looooong time) but the Neutrogena is like $7, so why not.

Nonconsentual Pronouns

Exceptional Troon Patrol
kiwifarms.net
I keep a mirror in my shower at face-level and bring my electric spinning-head toothbrush with it's skin-designated head. I let the water and steam rehydrate any dead skin to loosen it up, so basically I just wait until the end of my showers to get to my face. Either do the bottom half or top half first; apply a small amount of some mild salicylic acid daily facewash and VERY slowly run the electric toothbrush over the skin in a continuous motion of straight lines, applying minimal pressure but keeping full bristle-tip contact for maximum exfoliating effect from the vibrations. Rinse and repeat with the other half of the face. I apply a very small amount of normal, cheap face lotion once out of the shower to make sure the facewash doesn't dry out my skin, or my oil glands will just overcompensate for moisture again over the next few hours.

Some days, my face does feel a little oily in the afternoons (I shower at night), so I just use some of that weird, super thin paper that's like an oil magnet.

I already had clear, soft skin because I'm too pale to use foundation, but this routine has taken my face's skin texture to a whole other level. I recommend a Sonicare toothbrush if you can get one.

For the skin on the rest of my body after scrubbing up, I have my own mixture of tons of aloe gel, a modest amount of coco butter lotion and just enough scented lotion from VS or B&BW to give it some subtle sweetness. Love Spell from VS and Pearberry from B&BW are my faves.

PersonOfOstracize

My pronouns are 'shun' and 'begone'
kiwifarms.net
Why wouldn't you just get a Clarisonic? the Prima model is $99 - it's not that much more for something specifically designed for your face.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person

PolexiaAphrodisia

Life just kills me. Do you have any pot?
kiwifarms.net
Vicco turmeric cream with foam base. It's a fucking miracle.

This is probably jinxing it. But my skin is finally behaving. I've got a fuckload of scarring, but I only have max 3 raised bumps on my face at a time anymore. The coordinating turmeric face ointment moisturizes enough to keep me from getting oily and absorbs so fast. Does smell a bit though.

The only problem is that it's a bitch to find. I don't live near a substantial Indian population so I have to get my parents (who live in a town with a high Indian population) to send it to me from their local international grocery. Amazon charges 3x the price and you can't check expiration dates, plus some reviews say it's counterfeit product. Alas.

Vicco! It saved my skin!!

Oscar Wilde

Be yourself so I can laugh at you
kiwifarms.net
I've got acne prone combination skin and a heavy routine. I've been using this routine for several months alongside mostly cutting dairy out of my diet. Still get stress breakouts unfortunately.

AM
_Glossier Milky Jelly + Dr Jart ceramidin toner
_Dr jart Cicapair tiger grass cream + herbivore lapis oil + olehenriksen banana eye cream
_EltaMD SPF 46 (every day rain or shine)

PM
_SkinCeuticals LHA cleanser gel + foreo
_Glossier Solution
_Cerave moisturizing cream or rosehip oil
_Roche-Posay eye cream
_kiehls creme de corps for full body

Weekly
_ Herbivore resurfacing mask + moisturizing sheet mask
_ Fresh clay mask for spot treating
_Weleda skin food for dry patches
_Stridex pads for backne

Reactions: 1 person

Puddleduck

kiwifarms.net
I'm quite far North so don't have to worry too much about sunblock, but since turning 25 I still use SPF30 at least every day. I sometimes use exfoliating apricot scrub, and moisturize most days. None of the above, I spend more than like $5 on, I don't know if that matters?

Not strictly skincare, but I copied my friend's mom and I've started taking collagen pills, hoping the regular use will hold back the years 8-)

one_time_user

liar. obviously
kiwifarms.net
The best kept secret to women aging well- shave your face once a week at least. Everything except your eyes. There's not a better exfoliater and after being picked on for years for believing and practicing that (still baby smooth and wrinkle free), women are now paying a shit load of money for regular dermabration or dermablading.

Tags
None