Slim fast, ensure, nutrament and other diet/protien drinks and meal replacement thread. -

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
So remember when Slim fast was everywhere in the 90s and came in metal cans?
7713be9f6174337ebf6afc30cf8bf9a1.jpg

Or the nutrament sold in the corner stores next to the nesquick and yoohoo?
nutrament.jpg

And really any meal replacement or snack replacement plan like the special k meal bars? Well I thought I'd start a thread on them. Do these things ever really work? Like at all? Granted I'm sure if you lived off just liquids for a few weeks you might Slim down a bit but that would be more out of hunger and water lose.. Since the body tends to sacrifice and lose water before it loses fat.

Shugo

kiwifarms.net
My friend used them sometimes to replace meals. He's still fat, so. I've considered getting some to supplement my low eating habits but I've heard they have a chalky texture.

• Agree
Reactions: Hatoful Dandy

Hatoful Dandy

Minstrel of Sorrow
kiwifarms.net
Whatever you do, stay away from Soylent...

On August 13, 2015, nonprofit environmental and corporate social responsibility watchdog As You Sow filed a notice of intent to pursue a lawsuit against the makers of Soylent, claiming that Soylent did not adequately label its product given the levels of lead and cadmium present in the drink. The basis for the lawsuit lies in California's Proposition 65, a law that requires additional labeling for food products containing trace amounts of certain substances.

Although Soylent contains levels of lead and cadmium far below the national safety levels set by the FDA, it does contain 12 to 25 times the level of lead and 4 times the level of cadmium allowable in a product without additional labeling as specified by Proposition 65.[25][26] A lawyer who has worked on settlements of Proposition 65 suits described the case as "alarmist", as the levels are well below FDA limits of what is allowed in food products.[27] However, as Soylent is marketed as a complete meal replacement, many customers consume the drinks three times a day, equating to 36 to 75 times the lead and 12 times the level of cadmium without the Prop 65 label.[28] Lead is a neurotoxin that accumulates in soft tissues and bones, and even at low levels is linked to nerve damage, lower IQ, and reproductive problems including decreased sperm count. Cadmium is also a toxic heavy metal and has been linked to kidney, liver, and bone damage.
[28]

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
Whatever you do, stay away from Soylent...

On August 13, 2015, nonprofit environmental and corporate social responsibility watchdog As You Sow filed a notice of intent to pursue a lawsuit against the makers of Soylent, claiming that Soylent did not adequately label its product given the levels of lead and cadmium present in the drink. The basis for the lawsuit lies in California's Proposition 65, a law that requires additional labeling for food products containing trace amounts of certain substances.

Although Soylent contains levels of lead and cadmium far below the national safety levels set by the FDA, it does contain 12 to 25 times the level of lead and 4 times the level of cadmium allowable in a product without additional labeling as specified by Proposition 65.[25][26] A lawyer who has worked on settlements of Proposition 65 suits described the case as "alarmist", as the levels are well below FDA limits of what is allowed in food products.[27] However, as Soylent is marketed as a complete meal replacement, many customers consume the drinks three times a day, equating to 36 to 75 times the lead and 12 times the level of cadmium without the Prop 65 label.[28] Lead is a neurotoxin that accumulates in soft tissues and bones, and even at low levels is linked to nerve damage, lower IQ, and reproductive problems including decreased sperm count. Cadmium is also a toxic heavy metal and has been linked to kidney, liver, and bone damage.
[28]
Wow suddenly it makes sense whats happening to San Francisco and Seatle. Don't worry I know all to well how dangerous soylent is I'd rather eat actual solient green then soylent

The Shadow

Movies gave me scabies
kiwifarms.net
I use some Protein Isolate supplements (shakes, basically) between meals. Tastes like shit but you gotta feed the pythons, brother.

Orion Balls

Sorry Wendy, I love my hat girl.
kiwifarms.net
Meal replacements are great when you do work in hot places. Keeps you hydrated, and if you don't have time to eat during shift, they'll keep you going better than caffeine.

E-Muscle Milk has a blueberry smoothie that tastes good. Most chocolate flavoured drinks in any brand, are kind of shitty. You have to watch for sugar intake, too. Some of those drinks are packed with the stuff.

FatalTater

Fattest Among Thousands, Altogether Lethargic
kiwifarms.net
Back In The Day I knew a girl that lost pretty much all of her extra weight and kept it off using Slim Fast. The drinks were no magic bullet though, she watched every calorie in every crumb that went into her mouth.
I think the drinks might help with nutrition a little bit, lots of protein could curb meal cravings for instance, but ultimately training yourself to require less food and calories is the trick.

Autumnal Equinox

Sing or I'll go home and kill all your mommies
kiwifarms.net
Only people I've ever seen drinking these are old farts and people recovering from surgery. As a dietary supplement, I'd rather just eat real nutritious food, and watch my portion intake rather than drink that crap.

Reactions: FatalTater

twi1992

Buckle the Fuck Up Slut, We're Geting Shitfaced.
kiwifarms.net
I have occasional stomach issues and drink protein shakes when I feel like I can't eat just to have something with some substance in my stomach. But I think the average person doesn't really need all that protein - the only people I know who drink protein shakes on a regular basis are power lifters or body builders.

Reactions: MerriedxReldnahc

Aberforth

Straight A student in special ed.
kiwifarms.net
I use the Carnation ones as supplements. Sip on just one throughout the day instead of eating snacks. Actually pretty good for weight loss when used that way. Chocolate Carnation is the best one.

The Butter Pecan Ensures are also pretty good.

melty

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think for 90% of people, basically everyone who is trying to lose weight with them, they're a bad idea. They just contain too much sugar/fake sugar, which makes you hungrier. If people lose weight it's despite drinking them, not because of them.

Tags
None