So, what unusual animals have you all ate? -

R00T

Of All Evil
kiwifarms.net
I ate rattle snake out of a can once.

It was a gift from an uncle and heated in a microwave. I should've put in in something like a soup but it was hard to manage because it had a lot of bones. I'd eat it again if someone pulled the bones out first because it takes way too long.

Absolutego

Middleman who didn't do diddly
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ostrich is the reddest meat I've ever had from a bird. The cut I got was basically akin to prime rib.
Alligator and snake both taste pretty much like chicken and are underwhelming.
I have no idea why east Asians like eating live octopus so much, their suckers stick to your teeth and your stomach's unsettled for the next 5 minutes.
Shark fin soup is a roundabout way for snot to count as soup.

EDIT: Also both Geoduck and Urchin basically taste like slightly off scallops.

Last edited:

Madam Nekromantik

A new horror movie everyday of October.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Fried Rattle snake (went to the rattle snake round up here in Texas)
Scorpion lollipops ( you can get them near Mexico)
Emu (My cousin hunted one from a abandoned farm, it had escaped and was causing problems)
Elk (Uncle hunted one up north)
Baked Mahi mahi at a restaurant
Pheasant (Another cousin hunted some)
Quail and Dove (grand dad hunted it a lot when he retired)
Kangaroo burger
Alligator both as a steak and fried
Octopus on crackers, was pretty good
Crawdads if you count that as weird I don't
Menudo I grew up eating it so not that weird to me.
Bison a lot of different ways.
And I guess frog legs are weird now. I don't know I grew up eating them all the time.

I Love Beef

お前わもう。。。。。満でるー!!!!
kiwifarms.net
The closest I've ever gotten are quails and pufferfish.

I've always wanted to try quail for a specific recipe, but for the most part they are very fowl and gamey. Fugu sashimi is great, but I never got the so called poisoning numbness on the tip on my tongue thing. I ought to try it again.

Apples And Cinnamon

kiwifarms.net
Considering I ate a lot of cheap sausages and wieners, I honestly don't want to know.
Same, they're pretty good when you're broke as fuck.

I ate rattle snake out of a can once.

It was a gift from an uncle and heated in a microwave. I should've put in in something like a soup but it was hard to manage because it had a lot of bones. I'd eat it again if someone pulled the bones out first because it takes way too long.
Out of a can? Like.. A company saw this and made it or.. Was it canned homemade?

Ate shark soup once...But nowadays would never eat it on ethical grounds.
How did it taste???

Ostrich is the reddest meat I've ever had from a bird. The cut I got was basically akin to prime rib.
Alligator and snake both taste pretty much like chicken and are underwhelming.
I have no idea why east Asians like eating live octopus so much, their suckers stick to your teeth and your stomach's unsettled for the next 5 minutes.
Shark fin soup is a roundabout way for snot to count as soup.
How did you get ostrich meat? Wtf.

Ive been every where and have ate some exotic foods.

Bision jerky is the best
Was it flavored??

• Feels
Reactions: DamageJoy

Apples And Cinnamon

kiwifarms.net
The closest I've ever gotten are quails and pufferfish.

I've always wanted to try quail for a specific recipe, but for the most part they are very fowl and gamey. Fugu sashimi is great, but I never got the so called poisoning numbness on the tip on my tongue thing. I ought to try it again.
I've never even had sushi so Pufferfish is so odd to me. It seems like something you don't eat often though, lol.

Apples And Cinnamon

kiwifarms.net
I have a habit of living in major cities and most of them have at least one specialty butcher around. The ostrich, snake, and alligator were all from Los Gatos Meats in the Bay Area, if that's still around. The Geoduck was from Don and Joe's in Pike Place, Seattle.
Man, I wanna try so many food and drinks. Did you get recommended something specific to drink with it? Or did you like knock them back with Iced Tea or something?

Croan Çhiollee

Outside of society, that's where I wanna be
kiwifarms.net
Kangaroo, crocodile, snake, possum (the cute Australian kind), many types of birds, ostrich, crickets, horse.

Most of it was hunted or shot for defence/pest control reasons (ie snakes/possum /kangaroos).
I would definitely eat everything again with the exception of snake and crickets.
Most of it was barbecued or cooked on a spit. I grew up in a hillbilly kind of way where I was just shooting and cooking random birds.
Kangaroo is available in supermarkets here, but I don't generally buy it. Crocodile was when I was a child, and killing crocodiles was still legal, though my wife got me some Gator jerky when she was in Louisiana and that shit was awesome.
I had ostrich in Mexico and it was maybe 6/10... Would eat it again, but only if there was nothing else. The same goes for emu, it's just OK.
I had horse in Paris, it was quite good, like a cross between beef and venison.
If we ever get to travel again, I'll go back to Tasmania for the possum terrine.

Apologies for hangover posting...

I Love Beef

お前わもう。。。。。満でるー!!!!
kiwifarms.net
I've never even had sushi so Pufferfish is so odd to me. It seems like something you don't eat often though, lol.
Oh yeah. Pufferfish is insanely regulated worldwide for every good reason in that its flesh is naturally extremely poisonous, and this naturally makes it a rare delicacy. The Japanese restaurant I went to was one of the few restaurants allowed by law in the country to serve it and had a qualified chef to cut it up properly, so I went for it. The menu also had fugu tempura and even fugu hotpot outside of sashimi, so there was many ways to eat it as well. 10/10 would try again.