So, what unusual animals have you all ate? -

Apples And Cinnamon

kiwifarms.net
Kangaroo, crocodile, snake, possum (the cute Australian kind), many types of birds, ostrich, crickets, horse.

Most of it was hunted or shot for defence/pest control reasons (ie snakes/possum /kangaroos).
I would definitely eat everything again with the exception of snake and crickets.
Most of it was barbecued or cooked on a spit. I grew up in a hillbilly kind of way where I was just shooting and cooking random birds.
Kangaroo is available in supermarkets here, but I don't generally buy it. Crocodile was when I was a child, and killing crocodiles was still legal, though my wife got me some Gator jerky when she was in Louisiana and that shit was awesome.
I had ostrich in Mexico and it was maybe 6/10... Would eat it again, but only if there was nothing else. The same goes for emu, it's just OK.
I had horse in Paris, it was quite good, like a cross between beef and venison.
If we ever get to travel again, I'll go back to Tasmania for the possum terrine.

Apologies for hangover posting...
No apologies needed, I should've grouped the replies myself. Lol.

That sounds delicious and such a dope experience. Like, travelling and eating. Did you gave equally delicious beverages as well?

Absolutego

Middleman who didn't do diddly
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Really? I found it really chewy.
did you slow cook it or sear it? I hear that can make a really big difference. Mine sat in a dutch oven with some red wine and beef broth for a good long while before I ate it, and it was fork-tender.

Croan Çhiollee

Outside of society, that's where I wanna be
kiwifarms.net
No apologies needed, I should've grouped the replies myself. Lol.

That sounds delicious and such a dope experience. Like, travelling and eating. Did you gave equally delicious beverages as well?
Well, as a low-key drunk, I can confirm.
I had a pretty crappy childhood, but I did have the opportunity to spend a lot of time alone with my dog and a rifle in the bush, just hunting and cooking what I killed. Since then I've always been interested in eating whatever is unique to the area that I'm visiting. It's a good way to travel, and especially a good way to get some respect from the locals (because no one likes tourists who just want McDonalds).
I had venison with whiskey sauce in the Hebrides, horse with great local wines in Paris, and the local grilled fish sandwich with Raki in Istanbul all in the same month...
I miss travelling.

Reactions: Apples And Cinnamon

Croan Çhiollee

Outside of society, that's where I wanna be
kiwifarms.net
did you slow cook it or sear it? I hear that can make a really big difference. Mine sat in a dutch oven with some red wine and beef broth for a good long while before I ate it, and it was fork-tender.
It was grilled... Maybe that was the problem. Just got invited to a hunting trip that will include kangaroos, emu, and wild pigs, so I might revisit emu meat...
Edit; Oh, and I ate pig intestine in Vietnam. 0/10, would rather starve.

Last edited:

Hellion

Person of Disinterest
kiwifarms.net
Alligator - Tastes like watery/fishy chicken. Visited Florida for work (first time in the US) and we saw deep fried 'gator nuggets on a menu.

Guinea fowl - Like chicken but smaller, softer, and a slightly darker meat. Had it at a restaurant area inside a supposedly super fancy (but actually just super seedy) club.

Moral of the story; everything tastes like chicken. Probably even you.

Also had goat, which know is not that out there, but was novel to me. It was chewy.

Last edited:

Creepy Pig Man

Plz no bacon.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't get what the big deal with bison is: it's basically just milder beef to me. Also, they're an asshole of an animal so don't ever feel bad about eating them. I had some moose steaks once, it was a long time ago but I remember it being richer than I expected, obviously pretty tough but really good with some hot sauce.

SSF2T Old User

True peace can only be found in the cold darkness
kiwifarms.net
I'm pretty boring when it comes to food. The most I've ever ventured was Calamari, which wasn't too bad. It's like eating shrimp except it's a ring.

Reactions: Apples And Cinnamon