So, what unusual animals have you all ate? -

DeadFish

Who's awesome? You are!
kiwifarms.net
I don't get what the big deal with bison is: it's basically just milder beef to me. Also, they're an asshole of an animal so don't ever feel bad about eating them. I had some moose steaks once, it was a long time ago but I remember it being richer than I expected, obviously pretty tough but really good with some hot sauce.
Bison is tame compared to other stuff. If I revealed more Id might as well reveal my personal home address

Reactions: Apples And Cinnamon

MerriedxReldnahc

World's Okay-est Proctologist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I love all sorts of meat but I wouldn't say that I've had anything really exotic. The most unusual thing I've had is a wild boar burger, which was good but I found the porky flavor was strange in the context of a burger. Pulled boar sammiches would probably be very good, I wouldn't consider boar too weird as it's basically a pig but like, uglier.

I've had one of those suckers that has bugs in them, a local candy shop sells a variety. I got one with a cricket, the legs and wings stick to your throat and are really scratchy but otherwise tasted suprisingly like popcorn. Other varieties include a tequila flavored pop with a mealworm, and one with ants. I would think the ants would be nasty! I'm keeping my eye out for a scorpion pop, I've seen one before and have wanted to try one for a long time.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Bleach is healthy.
kiwifarms.net
Had elk medallions at Yellowstone. It was really good stuff. Lean and flavorful. Also had a bunch of bison on that trip, including a bison hot dog that was huge. I also had gator jerky, which I liked, but I don't remember it tasting all that special.

Apples And Cinnamon

kiwifarms.net
The desire to eat exotic stuff coincides with the desire to travel.

Or that has been my experience. What about you?
I havent traveled much but If I do, I can't wait to try a lot of good food, liquor and sleep in cool places.

I do enjoy cooking and pairing it with something good to drink though, lol.

DDBCAE CBAADCBE

kiwifarms.net
Long story short a few friends and I caught and killed a young black bear when we were living in a woodland commune up in the hills. Anyways it was awful, mostly because none of us knew how to cook.

DeadFish

Who's awesome? You are!
kiwifarms.net
I havent traveled much but If I do, I can't wait to try a lot of good food, liquor and sleep in cool places.

I do enjoy cooking and pairing it with something good to drink though, lol.
Traveling spreads one thin.

Its better to create something where the world comes to you.

Traveling Anthony bourdain style requires loads of charisma and strange happy luck. Neither I have.

If you wish to travel for an occupation realize society is systematic geared against you. Having a banking emeegency in a different time zone is an adventure of its own.

Last edited:

Rewire Tea

I'm a teapot
kiwifarms.net
Moose (my uncle bagged a moose one year): it's quite rich and tough, and at least the roast I had was roughly sort of like a beef roast in texture.

Martys_not_smarty

You don't know what hard times are daddy.
kiwifarms.net
I hope to try that next time I'm in France... Assuming that we can travel overseas again.
I think it's legal in some states you'd have to do your homework on it. When I had it it was part of several courses from the on campus restaurant of a local culinary school. Allowed for some swanky dining at quite modest prices like barber school for food.

• Agree
Reactions: Lizard Pope

Croan Çhiollee

Outside of society, that's where I wanna be
kiwifarms.net
I think it's legal in some states you'd have to do your homework on it. When I had it it was part of several courses from the on campus restaurant of a local culinary school. Allowed for some swanky dining at quite modest prices like barber school for food.
It's spasticly expensive in Australia... I can get it, but regional specialties are a big part of my reason for travelling.

LateNightMuffin

kiwifarms.net
I ate a few insect grubs because I heard they are supposed to taste good. They didn't. They tasted kind of chalky. Apart from that, the weirdest I've had was caribou, which tasted really good, and a tiny sliver of whale. Don't hate me for the whale: I was a kid and it was being offered around as a cultural experience.

AMERICA

Local internet dumpster-diver
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Sea Urchin -- tried it at a sushi place, didn't care for the texture
Raw quail egg -- took a shot of raw quail egg at another sushi restaurant for someone's birthday. Was exactly like swallowing a tiny egg. Not too much flavor but the texture was difficult. Was fun as a novelty, but would not try again.
Have tried all of the normie "exotic" types of sushi like squid and octopus, don't care for them.

As for exotic meats I've tried all sorts of novelty jerky meat, such as ostrich, boar, kangaroo, alligator, etc. Only one I like other than beef is wild boar. I've also had horse meat, which was decent but I wouldn't go out of my way for it. Felt kind of bad tbh. Same for shark, tried it but would not repeat.

My favorite "exotic" meat is probably eel, specifically unagi. You can get it at any sushi restaurant, it's pretty popular.

Would like to try: Fugu (blowfish), moose, bear. Heard the latter two aren't very good, but might as well try 'em. Would also like to try squirrel/rabbit.

Last edited:

RinguPingu745

kiwifarms.net
Weirdest meat I ate were frogs' legs and they were pretty tasty. They were fried, and tasted more like white fish than anything else. Had bison before, but I honestly didn't care for it. Would rather eat regular ol' steak. I wouldn't mind trying snake, gator or shark honestly. I'll try anything once.