Social Justice Lit -

QuokkaCaptain

The happiest of all the marsupials
kiwifarms.net
A lot of the threads in the Art & Literature section touch on this, but I haven't found a consolidated thread dedicated to discussing/dissecting books with an overt SJW message to them. There's also the Social Justice thread, but I thought it might be nice to have a place dedicated to the literature side of things.

Obviously Young Adult/Juvenile Lit are big offenders, but there have been many books across many different genres that have started to pick up on the fact that including certain talking points in their book will get them attention and money (American Dirt and The Resisters are two that have recently been touched on in this forum, both are General Fiction). Some focus exclusively on a social justice topics (racism, sexism, LGBT, mental health, etc), and some slip the talking points into the book with all the subtlety of a baseball bat to the temple. These books get five-star reviews from Goodreads and all the major publications- and anyone who criticizes them gets their shit kicked in by an internet mob.

So if you find a book that just absolutely bashes you over the head with "SEXISM BAD", or insists that anyone who questions the legitimacy of a transgender five year-old is a bigot, please alert the rest of us so that we can avoid it. If there's an author that can't write a single goddamn book without having fifty ~queer poc~ characters, consider this a place to mock them with great prejudice.

Or, alternatively, if you have a book that you feel carries off a social justice message in a really subtle, positive, or well-written way, hell: let us know about it, because it's worth celebrating a book and author that knows how to make a point elegantly and maturely (or at least, you know, entertainingly)..

A few examples, across multiple genres:

Andrew Joyner wrote a picture book- as in, a book for small children- called The Pink Hat. It's about the women's marches post-Trumps' election; and thank fuck, the pink hat looks more like a ski-cap than a pussy hat, as the main character is a child.

Alex Gino is a gender-fucked forty-something year-old dude who writes Juvenile lit. He wrote George, the book about a ten year-old "transgender" kid. In the YA Bookgate thread, we discussed some of the creepier aspects of the book. He also wrote a story kissing the Deaf community's ass, You Don't Know Everything, Jilly P.! He's also going to be writing a book about an "asexual" ten/eleven year-old (Rick).

Robin Talley is a lesbian YA author who literally cannot write a book that does not focus on LGBT characters (or sexism). Lies We Tell Ourselves features a Civil Rights-era romance between a black girl and a white girl. What We Left Behind features a "genderqueer" main character.

Jodi Picoult, while not (I think?) known for social justice books, got quite a pat on the back for acknowledging her white privilege in writing Small Great Things (a book about a black maternity ward nurse involved in a conflict with white supremacist parents). As expected, white privilege ends up being the villain of the day.

Christina Dalcher is the author of Vox. Riding off dat sweet sweet "THE HANDMAID'S TALE IS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER!" alarmism, the book's plot centers around a dystopian future where women are only allowed to speak 100 words a day.

I posted about this one in the Social Justice Warriors thread: Not So Stories is a collection of short stories reimagining Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories. The summary states that Kipling's books reeked of colonialism and racism, and this book is "writers of colour from around the world reclaim[ing] these stories and remak[ing] them into something new. Something different. Something that belongs to us all. "

Amanda Lovelace is- I use this word loosely- a poet. She's written a series of poetry books entitled Women Are Some Kind of Magic. While all of them have a distinctly feminist taste to them, The Witch Doesn't Burn in This One is basically a collection of tumblr-tier "poetry" that translates to "men suck suck suck and women are beautiful goddesses, #yesallwomen".

Ariel Gore is the author of a new-age/self-transformation book called Hexing the Patriarchy. I think the title is fairly self-explanatory.

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Two great examples of this is "The Hate U Give" and "On The Come Up". By the way, thank you for perpetuating the black stereotype of the illiterate hoodrat with that book title Angie Thomas. At one point, the first book got its own thread that didn't move forward much, and I haven't read it myself, but others were nice enough to show sneak peaks into some notable examples of extraordinarily cringey and awful writing.

When considering SJW books, one cannot look over science fiction as it's become utterly infested by SJWs. I recall one of these SyFy authors actually turning out to be a murderer who killed her hotel guests with pest poison and did it on purpose and got away with it by making it appear like it was incompetent negligence. She's also a Twitter sperg from what I remember.

DecimatedFerret

I'm deaded
kiwifarms.net
Two great examples of this is "The Hate U Give" and "On The Come Up". By the way, thank you for perpetuating the black stereotype of the illiterate hoodrat with that book title Angie Thomas. At one point, the first book got its own thread that didn't move forward much, and I haven't read it myself, but others were nice enough to show sneak peaks into some notable examples of extraordinarily cringey and awful writing.

When considering SJW books, one cannot look over science fiction as it's become utterly infested by SJWs. I recall one of these SyFy authors actually turning out to be a murderer who killed her hotel guests with pest poison and did it on purpose and got away with it by making it appear like it was incompetent negligence. She's also a Twitter sperg from what I remember.
The Hate U Give is a reference to 2-Pac. Thug life being an acronym for "The Hate U Give Little Infants Fucks Everyone", according to Mr. Pac.

Slowboat to China

Level 6 Hairy Hands Syndrome
kiwifarms.net
I don't trust any books recommended by The Guardian or NPR, but especially if it's science fiction or fantasy. Their lists always seem to focus on things that are stunning and brave rather than interesting.

And I've been following the American Dirt dustup (heh) for a while now. It's funny how quickly they turned around and the author became the new Antichrist McHitler. Sure, it was lauded by Latino authors originally, but that just wasn't enough.

QuokkaCaptain

The happiest of all the marsupials
kiwifarms.net
I remember reading a negative review on The Hate U Give that essentially said "I thought this book was written by a white woman, because the black teenager slang was so godawfully stereotypical I didn't think it could be a black person writing it." :lit:

A lot of authors are twitter-spergs nowadays; and the ones that aren't have to be real careful where they step. What was the lunatic's name? I've never heard of her.

I think I was in... a Barnes and Noble(?) one day and I remember seeing a staff recommendation bay that they had. Most of the recommendations were fairly benign and typical, about what you'd expect, but one Scifi rec stood out (can't remember what the book was) because it was basically just "OMG QUEER FEMINIST GIRL POWER SCIFI!"

I've got a list of buzzwords that make me wary of books nowadays, because they are almost always associated with SJW-tinted books: "Queer", "Necessary", "Timely", and "Radical" are all on the short-list. I rarely hear a book described as "Queer!" that doesn't end up being grossly stereotypical tumblr-style LGBT shit.

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I remember reading a negative review on The Hate U Give that essentially said "I thought this book was written by a white woman, because the black teenager slang was so godawfully stereotypical I didn't think it could be a black person writing it." :lit:

Dis bitch right here. I never read the whole thread but she's a scifi hack who gassed a bunch of people at a hotel her parents own in Thailand, some of whom died.

Next Task

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've got a list of buzzwords that make me wary of books nowadays, because they are almost always associated with SJW-tinted books: "Queer", "Necessary", "Timely", and "Radical" are all on the short-list.
'Necessary' is the one that always stands out for me. Because it 100% of the time means 'Shit, but we can't say that because we think representation matters'.

Doug_S1

Bloomberg 2024
kiwifarms.net

A lot of authors are twitter-spergs nowadays; and the ones that aren't have to be real careful where they step. What was the lunatic's name? I've never heard of her.

I think I was in... a Barnes and Noble(?) one day and I remember seeing a staff recommendation bay that they had. Most of the recommendations were fairly benign and typical, about what you'd expect, but one Scifi rec stood out (can't remember what the book was) because it was basically just "OMG QUEER FEMINIST GIRL POWER SCIFI!"

I've got a list of buzzwords that make me wary of books nowadays, because they are almost always associated with SJW-tinted books: "Queer", "Necessary", "Timely", and "Radical" are all on the short-list. I rarely hear a book described as "Queer!" that doesn't end up being grossly stereotypical tumblr-style LGBT shit.
Are any of these shit-lit authors genuinely good writers?

Some of my favorite authors were marxists when they were younger and then, you know, grew up.

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There’s this book called Open Borders, which was written by an economist that advocates for open borders.

Here’s the book cover and a few excerpts:
View attachment 1160929
View attachment 1160930View attachment 1160931View attachment 1160932View attachment 1160933View attachment 1160934View attachment 1160936View attachment 1160938View attachment 1160939
Yes, this is a picture book.
Have you ever met a second generation Mexican, Weinersmith? They're Elliot Rogers with the inferiority complex traded in for the belief that they're invincible.

Oglooger

God isn't dead!BUT I'LL GET THAT BASTARD SOME DAY!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Back when in 2016 I decided to go back to school, but sinice I was a dumbass rebel in high school and didn't take my SAT and retaking it made me somehow fail it, I was forced to take remedial classes.
Mathclass was fine but in English they made us read this Diary of a Wimpy Kid ripoff called "Diary of a Part-Time Indian"
1582651494805.png

Book was fucking awful, the protaganist is a self insert of the author who whines about being weak and a genetic dead end with water brain and stuttering and resents being smart and white people.
the first chapter is him opening up to how he loves masturbating and that tringles turn him on.
1582651621042.png
I don't know what was worse, that this was considered a kid's book or that we were supposed to read what's essentially a kid's book in a remedial course because "it's easier for people who don't speak English as a second language".
The author was also a big Hillary shill back in the election.

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This image represents everything I hate about SJWs, and it's the perception that white people have it unconditionally better than everyone else. No white person I've ever known has ever worn fucking khakis by choice and I've literally never heard of this "Ralph Lauren" brand of clothes until now. Who the fuck can't afford a backpack? What the fuck does it mean to have a "vanishing past"?

Oglooger

God isn't dead!BUT I'LL GET THAT BASTARD SOME DAY!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
No white person I've ever known has ever worn fucking khakis
Khakis are the most comfortable pants with bigass pockets.
Also the big deal is that the Indian guy comes from the Rez, who are super duper poor.
at one point in the book, he has to deal with his friends excomunicating him for being a sellout since he qualified to go to a better school, the white people school that happens to be in the upperclass area.

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Khakis are the most comfortable pants with bigass pockets.
Also the big deal is that the Indian guy comes from the Rez, who are super duper poor.
at one point in the book, he has to deal with his friends excomunicating him for being a sellout since he qualified to go to a better school, the white people school that happens to be in the upperclass area.
"How dare you achieve economic prosperity in the country everyone wants to live in for economic prosperity."

Coleman Francis

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This image represents everything I hate about SJWs, and it's the perception that white people have it unconditionally better than everyone else. No white person I've ever known has ever worn fucking khakis by choice and I've literally never heard of this "Ralph Lauren" brand of clothes until now. Who the fuck can't afford a backpack? What the fuck does it mean to have a "vanishing past"?
So wise of him to stay contemporary with the fashion choices. Tommy Hilfiger, that would have been cutting edge if it was still 1997.

Tags
None