Social Justice Lit -

Save the Loli

kiwifarms.net
So wait, because something could be taught badly, that means it shouldn't be taught at all? What?

I mean, I agree that poor teaching can turn people off the classics. Shakespeare suffers from this a lot, in my experience. But if we shouldn't teach something because people might get the wrong idea of it, then you can argue for the removal of anything from the curriculum. School would be reduced to students just sitting there looking at a board that says "BEING MEAN IS BAD."
Her argument is that it's taught badly because people aren't teaching it in the 100% approved postmodern way which means "Homer is bad because it is the foundation of traditional Western civilization which is bad because colonialism and racism silencing voices". This "intellectual" spends about half that tweet essay (lol) ranting about how we need to teach people to think critically about Homer's works while also arguing that it shouldn't be mandatory reading. Think about how little sense that makes, it's like trying to teach about the American government while saying "don't bother reading the Constitution, that's just a bunch of white people stuff".

Then realize these sorts of people probably never read many books to begin with. Remember antifa Professor Michael "Giraffe-Neck" Isaacson, who promotes antifa/anarcho-commie shit all over his Twitter yet tells his students that they don't need to read books, even by Marx, Kropotkin, etc. Or all the fedora atheists who don't read the Bible outside of the passages where God is killing people or saying that homosexuality is a sin? Or all the Islamophiles who believe quoting the Quran or hadiths about Jews or women is Islamophobic? Their exposure to their own philosophies consists almost entirely of having read/heard what their intellectual forbears wrote and never the primary sources itself.

Piga Dgrifm

Pita Griffin
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
From my OP list, the only one I can think of that's actually produced anything of quality is Jodi Picoult. Some people like her, some don't, but she does a brisk business- and I don't think it's a coincidence that she's known for writing a variety of topics, rather than making social justice her brand.
I enjoyed her book The Storyteller, and even the #WOKE brownie points book Small Great Things wasn't badly written so it's at least not painful to read, even if some parts get overly preachy and cringey. I actually quite liked the parts focusing on how the dad became a white supremacist and how he changed his thinking. She's actually able to write, which is probably why she hasn't needed to bend the knee and just write about how Whites/Men/Straights Bad over and over. The thing about people like Angie Thomas and Alex Gino is that they can't write worth a damn. Once you take away the political screeds there's just nothing there. They don't present any nuance to the issues being discussed because they just don't have the skills to do so. Everyone belonging to a certain marginalized group is basically part of a hivemind, nearly always good and nearly always the victim. Antagonists are evil bigots just because they're evil bigots and behave in over-the-top ways, never saying or doing things that actual people do. Any privileged character that isn't an evil bigot needs to be constantly beaten down and told how bad they are for being born wrong. (Alex Gino's Jilly P is essentially nothing but this.)

Xolanite

Too busy having nightmares at 4 AM
kiwifarms.net
Back when in 2016 I decided to go back to school, but sinice I was a dumbass rebel in high school and didn't take my SAT and retaking it made me somehow fail it, I was forced to take remedial classes.
Mathclass was fine but in English they made us read this Diary of a Wimpy Kid ripoff called "Diary of a Part-Time Indian"
View attachment 1161068
Book was fucking awful, the protaganist is a self insert of the author who whines about being weak and a genetic dead end with water brain and stuttering and resents being smart and white people.
the first chapter is him opening up to how he loves masturbating and that tringles turn him on.
View attachment 1161071 I don't know what was worse, that this was considered a kid's book or that we were supposed to read what's essentially a kid's book in a remedial course because "it's easier for people who don't speak English as a second language".
The author was also a big Hillary shill back in the election.
I had to read him in college, as a part of multicultural literature, and didn't think of anything significant about him.

He got #MeToo'd a couple years ago. Apparently he cheated on his wife by forcefully kissing his interns (who totally couldn't get a writing career if they didn't work the the great Sherman Alexie). There was an award named after him that changed the name as a result, I think. I don't feel sorry for alcoholics who cheat on their wives.

QuokkaCaptain

The happiest of all the marsupials
kiwifarms.net
How is "I don't see color" a racist statement and not the opposite? Just stop and think carefully about that.

We're in WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH territory with these shitheads, because in addition to thinking "I don't see color" is a racist statement, they call themselves anti-racist but are anything but, they are just as racist as any Klansmen, they just come at it at a different angle, but they still judge people based on their race.
It's not.

But we live in a day and age where most people tend to be at least somewhat sensitive to matters of race and racism. People may say things that come out offensive without meaning to be, they may hold biases that they never express in public spaces, but for the most part the racism game is an entirely different one from how it was when my parents were my age. I don't think they do it consciously, necessarily, but what essentially happens is that conditions have gotten better- so now the SJW types start complaining about smaller things that weren't worth complaining about before when there were bigger, more immediate issues worth facing. They elevate things like minor ignorance to ground-shaking declarations of racism, and it's ultimately because they don't have a lot much else to complain about.

I mean, you can debate the intellectual reality of the phrase "I don't see color" all day long (I think the more accurate version would be "I don't care about color") but it is not a racist statement. Some SJWs think it's racist because (to them) it's an excuse racist white people use when called out on their "racism"; in reality, "I don't see color" drives the fuckers crazy because if someone doesn't "see" color, then that means they've lost one of their Oppression Points. In the game of Identity Politics, denying someone a chance to feel oppressed is a serious offense.

I had to read him in college, as a part of multicultural literature, and didn't think of anything significant about him.

He got #MeToo'd a couple years ago. Apparently he cheated on his wife by forcefully kissing his interns (who totally couldn't get a writing career if they didn't work the the great Sherman Alexie). There was an award named after him that changed the name as a result, I think. I don't feel sorry for alcoholics who cheat on their wives.
Holy SHIT, I hadn't heard of that!

But then, I shouldn't be shocked: He may not be super well-known, but he's arguably one of the best known Native American authors in the US. I bet a lot of major media outlets were titchy on drawing too much criticism to a Native author. Literally, in the New York Times article discussing it: "But she decided not to tell her class about the accusations against Mr. Alexie. “They thought it was the coolest thing in the world to have that role model; why take that away from them?”

Sure didn't stop people from canceling him, though.

Shield Breaker

^_^
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Back when in 2016 I decided to go back to school, but sinice I was a dumbass rebel in high school and didn't take my SAT and retaking it made me somehow fail it, I was forced to take remedial classes.
Mathclass was fine but in English they made us read this Diary of a Wimpy Kid ripoff called "Diary of a Part-Time Indian"
View attachment 1161068
Book was fucking awful, the protaganist is a self insert of the author who whines about being weak and a genetic dead end with water brain and stuttering and resents being smart and white people.
the first chapter is him opening up to how he loves masturbating and that tringles turn him on.
View attachment 1161071 I don't know what was worse, that this was considered a kid's book or that we were supposed to read what's essentially a kid's book in a remedial course because "it's easier for people who don't speak English as a second language".
The author was also a big Hillary shill back in the election.
Oh, wow, I hate this person already.

That's pretty much it.
if the Rez really has that much of a crab bucket mentality I would have left and never looked back.
It does, which is why my mom left. It's worse than a ghetto.

LetterlandMafia

Foreclose on me one more time
kiwifarms.net
Louise O’Neill is another good example for this thread. One book called ‘Only Ever Yours’, in essence a ripoff of The Handmaid’s Tale, and another ‘Asking For It’ where woman gets reviled for being sexually abused. Predictable, cookie cutter feminist victim complex shite. It gets rave reviews from The Guardian, naturally.

I remember some other book which also got raves about women suddenly developing electric powers (I think it was called The Power). Don’t know who the author was but similar to the above, with some bullshit pretense of ‘what if the world was like this’ with none of the intrigue, creativity or subtlety that makes these things work.

Y2K Baby

The Codex of Ultimate Wisdom???
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Hate U Give is a reference to 2-Pac. Thug life being an acronym for "The Hate U Give Little Infants Fucks Everyone", according to Mr. Pac.
Based pro-life Pac.

Oh, yay. Woko Haram is celebrating the removal of Homer and Vergil from the "required reading" for CLASSIC LITERATURE.
And pay special attention to where this piece of shit admits to being a classics professor.
View attachment 1165265
View attachment 1165268
View attachment 1165270
View attachment 1165272
View attachment 1165273
View attachment 1165274
View attachment 1165275
View attachment 1165279
They live in both Texas and Massachusetts. West Virginia?

Martys_not_smarty

You don't know what hard times are daddy.
kiwifarms.net
Imagine quoting Milton Friedman, the most influential Economist in 100 years, and triumphantly rebuffing his entire ideology with a ''NUH-UH''
It's the DSP defense *gets called out factually* Phil: Uh no and you're a stupid moron for believing it and an asshole liar for repeating it *snort*
So literally fucking everything he's resentful about is whitey has some brand name product? If he had the same brand name product he'd be making an ecstatic soy grimace himself?
Nah if anything he'd get beaten up by someones older brother and his shit taken. The rez is like the places they talk about in those "for a dollar a day you can feed little Boris Ivanovich here (camera cuts to a obviously black african boy)" you can't give them nice shit like in those countries cause someone will just as I said beat them up and take it.

Tags
None