Soda -

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Wasn't that the actual origin of soda in the United States, or was that an urban legend? Because I can definitely see soda fountains in 1950s movies and TV shows.
It really came from the invention of artificially carbonating water during the 1800's, it was often associated with druggists/chemists as they were the ones who experimented in the field themselves, and soda fountains became associated with drug stores over here. There was a documentary on this I saw on History Channel a long time ago I wanted to include a clip of here but I can't find it online sadly.
fa_cooke_drug_store.jpgPYRWJ4.jpg

EDIT: Still can't find it, but here's one on Coca-Cola that goes into that history.

Last edited:

Elaine Benes

I'm queen of the castle!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I enjoy a good Sioux City Sarsaparilla once in a while, but not many stores around here have it for cheap.

Failing that, I also like RC.

Reactions: Fervent Champion

Xarpho

Useful mask for exploring the Internet
kiwifarms.net
Coca-Cola - the original and best, has the right mix of sugar and acid bite
Dr Pepper - actually not my favorite despite everyone else seeming to love it in the area, though the PCS version is fantastic
Pibb Xtra - like Dr Pepper but with less flavors, which actually clarifies the cherry/"spice" flavor and makes it overall better, even if my Dr Pepper friends say it's heresy
Cream soda - Novelty, don't know if I'd even be able to finish a whole can
Ginger ale - okay, it's always a safe bet on airplanes and parties but not something I'd buy cans of or at a restaurant
Pepsi - only superior to Coke if you valued sugar above all else, would never be something I'd get normally
Mountain Dew - tasty but probably because I was denied it as a kid (again, go with pure cane sugar)
Mountain Dew Pitch Black - tried it when it returned a few years ago, and it's great even if it is novelty, basically a superior grape soda
Crystal Pepsi - novelty, tastes like Pepsi with some of the flavor notes missing (and unlike Pibb, doesn't work in favor)
Squirt - decent, but feels more like a mixer for alcoholic drinks
Sprite/Mountain Dew Sierra Mist - never compared the two side-by-side but never a big fan of either
Root beer - Overly strong, sugary flavor that doesn't seem to complement anything, though some versions are better than others
Moxie - starts out as an interesting root beer variant, then packs an incredibly bitter punch for the aftertaste to the point it's not fun
Cel-Ray - started out as a novelty, used to love it unironically, now I'm not so sure anymore
RC Cola - tastes like flat, generic "cola"

Last edited:

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Coca-Cola - the original and best, has the right mix of sugar and acid bite
No arguments there.

Noticed someone credited drinking Dr Pepper for keeping herself alive very long.

Pibb Xtra - like Dr Pepper but with less flavors, which actually clarifies the cherry/"spice" flavor and makes it overall better, even if my Dr Pepper friends say it's heresy[/quote]
I still call it "Mr. Pibb" as that had been the original name for the drink.

Cream soda - Novelty, don't know if I'd even be able to finish a whole can
It feels that way to me too.

Ginger ale - okay, it's always a safe bet on airplanes and parties but not something I'd buy cans of or at a restaurant
I tend to reach for Vernors whenever I feel a cold or flu happening.

Mountain Dew - tasty but probably because I was denied it as a kid (again, go with pure cane sugar)
How it was for me too!

Sprite/Mountain Dew - never compared the two side-by-side but never a big fan of either[/quote]
Don't you mean 7up with Sprite?

Sundae

Weird-Ass Puppet Dog
kiwifarms.net
My personal favorite:

Pure ambrosia.

A close second favorite is Mountain Dew Baja Blast. I also enjoyed the Mountain Dew Spiked Lemonade that was released during summer of 2017.

It's a shame it was discontinued.

I enjoy a good Sioux City Sarsaparilla once in a while, but not many stores around here have it for cheap.
They also have a great Prickly Pear drink.
Did not like their Birch Beer though.

The old Cranberry Splash formula was perfect. So naturally they changed it, and now its not as good.
If you had it before 2010, you had the good stuff.

Last edited:

The Empirical Bogey

The thing that's giving you spooks
kiwifarms.net
I never liked Mountain Dew because of the slightly bitter taste. The stereotypes surrounding it firmly pushed me away.

Fanta Pineapple, ginger ale (regular and cranberry), and Sprite are the best sodas btw

A single cheeto

Freelance Police Sped Unit
kiwifarms.net
Cream soda, Cherry soda, and Cranberry Sprite are my all time faves. Coca-Cola is good, too. Oh, and Baja Blast.

Autumnal Equinox

I hope you relish it as much as I
kiwifarms.net
Been looking for a good ginger ale lately. Canada Dry and Schweppes are okay, but something where you can taste the ginger a bit more would be nice.

Crustyguy

kiwifarms.net
Been looking for a good ginger ale lately. Canada Dry and Schweppes are okay, but something where you can taste the ginger a bit more would be nice.
The canada dry bold flavor is pretty good. Ginger beer is naturally more ginger-ey, like goslings (comes in 12-packs), bundaberg, or for something a little stronger, reeds is good, too.

Reactions: Autumnal Equinox