Software Endorsements -

Dreamland

Mural of coral and cold
kiwifarms.net
I've had a lot better experience using searX, and their privacy concept is more than just "not google botnet": http://www.searx.me/
I got this running in a docker container on an ol' synology shitbox, Speaking of escaping the botnet if you have a Raspi it's a breeze to install both PiVPN (personal vpn incase you don't trust the hotspot you're working off) and PiHole (DNS adblocker that eats HOSTS files) on it.

For the rest i can only add Chocolatey as recommendation to our winfriends, Enjoy the pleasure of package-management on Windows!

The Un-Clit

Can you find it? come on in, look closer!
kiwifarms.net
AdNauseam is the fucking BALLS. replaces Ublock Origin for me, and so far it seems like it works fine alongside Privacy Badger and Ghostery too. I had never heard of this extension before, so thank you Null! Havent even finished the first post in this thread and already found something awesome. So much hidden gold in the Kiwi Orchards.

DuckDuckGo is a must to put as a default search engine.

Bit :offtopic:, but a friend recommended me a source called Tor Browser and I did used it to test out for usage of privacy and wondered if anyone also used it. Little downside for it was using Tor for this forums is a bit slow so it's a 50 50, but everything else is decent plus there's an option where you can restart the browser to make it less trackable.
100% on DuckDuckGo. I've never regretted making it my homepage and default search.

Regarding TOR browser, it's a modified Firefox client optemised for .onion sites, which are mostly darknet. I've found it's great for accessing darknet sites (drugs, not cheese pizza) but can be extremely slow and unreliable at times depending on the status of the network itself and how many nodes are operating at a given time.
There's really not much point to putting up with it's quirks to use on the public internet with regular websites unless you are really into obfuscation of your browsing and the various tracker blockers aren't good enough for you. Better off with a VPN.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kiwi Jeff

ChurchOfGodBear

He's just this guy, you know?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What's the current thought on the topic of hosting one's own mail server these days? I'm getting a lot of REALLY conflicting opinions doing research.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Hole no longer smoking
kiwifarms.net
What's the current thought on the topic of hosting one's own mail server these days? I'm getting a lot of REALLY conflicting opinions doing research.
It depends on what that means, if you're just registering some domain and point the mx-registers to another host, no problem. If you're setting up your own and it's a small scale company usage situation then Exchange on Windows Server isn't bad or that hard if you set it up in a virtual machine or something.

CabbageMan

sly miss
kiwifarms.net
So I found out my ISP monitors all my traffic and slapped me with a violation for torrentin'. What VPN would you guys recommend for P2P traffic? I looked at PIA but it seems mostly geared towards just web and couldn't really find any info on if they'd choke me for shooting gigs of data through their network.

CabbageMan

sly miss
kiwifarms.net
Check out this site, it’s a comparison of a lot of VPNs

https://thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-comparison-chart/

As for personal suggestions, NordVPN I hear is very good for torrenting. You could also host a VPS or use a seedbox.
First, great series, both the '70s ver and the remake.

I looked at Nord and Express, I ended up going with Express. It cut my speeds by almost 90% though so I'm not sure about it. (speedtest went from 1000 down to 100 down, 900 up to 200 up). Nord was compatible by most people's reviews but even worse on speeds.

I have a 30 day moneyback guarantee though so I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

Reactions: Casshern

ChuckSlaughter

You mean I got about 200 bitcoins
kiwifarms.net
Easy:
Find some companies that have pushbutton deploys for postfix and nextcloud/owncloud. Then try and find a tutorial made just for that company. IIRC digitalocean is pretty good.
Best:
Use a major mysql as a service provider like google, azure, or amazon. Use that as the backend database because it's highly dependable and fast.
Cheap:
Build out the whole thing with raspberry pis and people will co-locate your pi for a few dollars a month.
So I found out my ISP monitors all my traffic and slapped me with a violation for torrentin'. What VPN would you guys recommend for P2P traffic? I looked at PIA but it seems mostly geared towards just web and couldn't really find any info on if they'd choke me for shooting gigs of data through their network.
If you go on slashdot deals there are always deals on seedboxes and VPNs. I think there is one seedbox for $40/2 years and another that's like 30/year but comes with a vpn and cloud encoder. You can pay by prepaid credit card too.

Give Her The D

Trans Cunt
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Check out this site, it’s a comparison of a lot of VPNs

https://thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-comparison-chart/

As for personal suggestions, NordVPN I hear is very good for torrenting. You could also host a VPS or use a seedbox.
Is Nord really that great? I wasn't too fond about having to pay a year in advance to get a decent price, so I just ended up going with PIA instead.

Plus I usually don't have the kind of budget lying around to where I can put that much in at a time and still have much money left.

SkeletonBias420

Mountain of Molten Lust
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If anyone else knows of any good video editors I'll very interested. (not MediaComposer Home, it sure looks nice but the recommended specs are like... 32-64gb ram, dual Xeon's to get a 12+ core processor etc and this apparent is when starting the program. It also install a bunch of license servers and crapware)
If you're on Windows, I started using DaVinci Resolve recently and have been very impressed by it.

nishikino_maki

kiwifarms.net
It seems not a lot of people know about qutebrowser. It is the best browsers out there with vim like keybindings that recieves security updates. It has an inbuilt adblocker and support for password managers. Also it doesn't have a botnet as seen here https://spyware.neocities.org/articles/qutebrowser.html
Also mpv for media playback is god tier.
If you are a Linux or a macOS user you can try using ranger as a file manager. Really efficient once you get the hang of it.

nishikino_maki

kiwifarms.net
Any really good free anti-virus programs would you guys recommend?
Antiviruses are a joke tbh. If I write a simple reverse shell in python now, and make an exe using py2exe, any antivirus on the face of earth won't detect it as a virus. That is the thing avout AVs, they wont protect you from targeted attacks.
Your computer won't get infected if you don't open anything you don't trust. If you wanna take the extra mile, then install a VM and test the file on that before your actual machine. Simple. Windows Defender should be enough to protect you from common viruses and trojans.

ChuckSlaughter

You mean I got about 200 bitcoins
kiwifarms.net
Antiviruses are a joke tbh. If I write a simple reverse shell in python now, and make an exe using py2exe, any antivirus on the face of earth won't detect it as a virus. That is the thing avout AVs, they wont protect you from targeted attacks.
Your computer won't get infected if you don't open anything you don't trust. If you wanna take the extra mile, then install a VM and test the file on that before your actual machine. Simple. Windows Defender should be enough to protect you from common viruses and trojans.
Microsoft was good enough to expose the entire windows API to powershell.

Raging Capybara

kiwifarms.net
Windows defender only detects (harmless) pirated softwares. But I agree with you, the best anti-virus in the world are regular backups and common sense.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Hole no longer smoking
kiwifarms.net
If you wanna take the extra mile, then install a VM and test the file on that before your actual machine. Simple. Windows Defender should be enough to protect you from common viruses and trojans.
I don't know if it would work but maybe create a virtual machine as a quarantine, install a trial of an anti-virus on that, download weird pirated software on the VM and check it, when the AV trial runs out make a new VM and repeat the whole thing.

The annoying thing with AV software is false positives, it can sometimes flag and remove safe things such as demoscene stuff if it thinks the packer is unusual(and it is unusual if it's a 64kb demo, there might also be similarities between Fairlight/Razor1911 demos and Fairlight/Razor1911 cracked software).

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino