• ”In the end, one way or another, the A-Logs are going to win.”
  1. The site will be going down for maintenance on February 24th for the XenForo 2 upgrade. Read more. (Update Feb-13)

Software Endorsements

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Null, Jan 22, 2018.

Forum Guidelines
  • Spoiler adult content. Anything you wouldn't want your boss to see on your monitor should be hidden. Don't embed NSFW content in your post directly.
  1. I have almost 20 year old burned CDs and DVDs that still works, not brand names or anything like that either, just the cheapest 50 disc spindles available at the time.

Easiest and cheapest would be to just buy a portable HDD and throw the roms onto it, if you really want to be careful then maybe create a parity file for the whole thing so you can check that everything is intact in the future, maybe add some PAR volumes so you can repair anything damaged.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Smaug's Smokey Hole

Smaug's Smokey Hole Fus Ro Dank

kiwifarms.net
  2. Aren't ROMs usually really small? Wouldn't a couple DVDs do fine? Or even thumb drives?

• Agree Agree x 2
    AnOminous

AnOminous sittin in the fabled catbird seat
    True & Honest Fan Retired Staff

kiwifarms.net
  3. Generally you're right, but it's the sheer amount of them that's the size issue. Currently everything I have is around 109GB and I've still got about 20(?) systems left to finish. Thankfully they're mostly things like chailove, wonderswan, and other system that didn't have huge libraries. I need a few more of the Brit microcomps so that's probably going to be the biggest ones I've got left to get.

Really, my only concern is data degradation. I'll probably go with some of those super stable DVD-R's that are supposed to last 1000 years theoretically, mainly because optical will remain huge in archiving for a while. I've already got a back up HDD and some off-site backups with most of it for my own use, but this is more of a archival thing at this point.

The 8 of Spades

The 8 of Spades This Is Our Church, These Are Your Sins.

kiwifarms.net
  4. I love Tixati, but some of the trackers I use don't allow it, so I had to switch to qBittorrent. That said, qBittorrent is pretty excellent.

• Agree Agree x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  5. I been thinking of doing the same thing, how are you doing it? Just using torrents?

Glad I couldn't help

Glad I couldn't help Now with edge anime avatar

kiwifarms.net
  6. It's been a mix between torrents and internet archive before they started pulling everything down. I think IA might still have some stuff available but I'd have to check. I know the Nintendo, Sega, and Sony stuff isn't there anymore (publicly at least).

The 8 of Spades

The 8 of Spades This Is Our Church, These Are Your Sins.

kiwifarms.net
  7. Nibba, can we update the Brave cons on OP? It supports extensions now

kiwifarms.net
  8. youtube-dl, or youtube-dlg if you're a sped who doesn't know command-line

• Agree Agree x 1
    Feathers and Stones

Feathers and Stones Ricardo Lopez the Second

kiwifarms.net
  9. I've been using youtube-dl and it was pretty convenient. Never heard of dlg though, I'm gonna check it out

Namesarehardtocomeupwith

Namesarehardtocomeupwith ntr propagandist

kiwifarms.net
  10. I finally got around to getting Private Internet Access. Do I need to add a custom DNS or will it just 'work' automatically?

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid This will all end in tears, I just know it.

kiwifarms.net
  11. RIP, they're in 5 Eyes. As for your question it will just work.

kiwifarms.net
  12. What was that 5 Eyes reference about?

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

kiwifarms.net
  13. kiwifarms.net
  14. So what you're saying is there's a good chance the government is spying on me even with a VPN? It's good to know there's such a thing as multi-hop VPN chain, sounds promising. Is it possible to chain two VPNs together at once?

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

kiwifarms.net
  15. It's more possible to be spied on with a 14 Eyes VPN, and as for chaining VPNs I have no clue.

kiwifarms.net
  16. Either way I can't imagine I'm worse off than before since there's no reason they couldn't spy on me before.

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

kiwifarms.net
  17. Yeah it depends on what yourey doing, if you want to torrent and not get a notice then PIA is fine. If you're doing shady things then 14 Eyes is pretty bad.

kiwifarms.net
  18. No, I'm not doing it for illegal shit so there should be no worries there.

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

kiwifarms.net
  19. In general, people need to consider their threat model when they're taking security/privacy precautions. How you'd protect yourself from the federal government spying on you is a lot different from how you'd protect yourself from corporations spying on you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  20. If the NSA is seriously after you, you're so fucked in so many ways that you'd be better off buying lube than being concerned with whether you're using 2048 or 4096 bit RSA keys.

• Agree Agree x 4
    AnOminous

AnOminous sittin in the fabled catbird seat
    True & Honest Fan Retired Staff

kiwifarms.net
  • About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. These people are commonly referred to as Lolcows and are each distinct thanks to their erratic public behavior. Spectators are encouraged to join discussion. The wealth of opinions and knowledge shared by users is what has enabled this peculiar fringe community to thrive despite the incredible adversity and contention brought by those we discuss.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

• Supporting the Forum

BTC: 1LXpv9FUiazGB2LVyS44cTTEQFc8CBgPYi

BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s

ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5

LTC: LNjmyhxThrTMY4izBdcdWqvW287LmCB6bg

XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino

Copyright © 2016 Lolcow LLC
This website may contain offensive or adult content.
Discontinue browsing if it is illegal or against your wishes to see such material.
All content belongs to their respective authors and does not represent Lolcow LLC.
We have not been served any secret court orders and are not under any gag orders.