Software Endorsements -

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Hole no longer smoking
kiwifarms.net
Not a software question, but this seems like the best thread to ask in. I'm currently in the process of collecting the full romsets of the systems I don't already have for emulation since it's becoming more difficult to find a lot of these things anymore easily. I'd like to make a few physical backups of the collection when I'm finished, but I'm unsure what the best option for extremely rarely accessed long-term storage of data these days is that won't make me entirely broke.
I have almost 20 year old burned CDs and DVDs that still works, not brand names or anything like that either, just the cheapest 50 disc spindles available at the time.

Easiest and cheapest would be to just buy a portable HDD and throw the roms onto it, if you really want to be careful then maybe create a parity file for the whole thing so you can check that everything is intact in the future, maybe add some PAR volumes so you can repair anything damaged.

AnOminous

do you see what happens
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Not a software question, but this seems like the best thread to ask in. I'm currently in the process of collecting the full romsets of the systems I don't already have for emulation since it's becoming more difficult to find a lot of these things anymore easily. I'd like to make a few physical backups of the collection when I'm finished, but I'm unsure what the best option for extremely rarely accessed long-term storage of data these days is that won't make me entirely broke.
Aren't ROMs usually really small? Wouldn't a couple DVDs do fine? Or even thumb drives?

The 8 of Spades

This Is Our Church, These Are Your Sins.
kiwifarms.net
Aren't ROMs usually really small? Wouldn't a couple DVDs do fine? Or even thumb drives?
Generally you're right, but it's the sheer amount of them that's the size issue. Currently everything I have is around 109GB and I've still got about 20(?) systems left to finish. Thankfully they're mostly things like chailove, wonderswan, and other system that didn't have huge libraries. I need a few more of the Brit microcomps so that's probably going to be the biggest ones I've got left to get.

Really, my only concern is data degradation. I'll probably go with some of those super stable DVD-R's that are supposed to last 1000 years theoretically, mainly because optical will remain huge in archiving for a while. I've already got a back up HDD and some off-site backups with most of it for my own use, but this is more of a archival thing at this point.

Reactions: AnOminous

Glad I couldn't help

Now with edge anime avatar
kiwifarms.net
I been thinking of doing the same thing, how are you doing it? Just using torrents?

The 8 of Spades

This Is Our Church, These Are Your Sins.
kiwifarms.net
I been thinking of doing the same thing, how are you doing it? Just using torrents?
It's been a mix between torrents and internet archive before they started pulling everything down. I think IA might still have some stuff available but I'd have to check. I know the Nintendo, Sega, and Sony stuff isn't there anymore (publicly at least).

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
kiwifarms.net
I finally got around to getting Private Internet Access. Do I need to add a custom DNS or will it just 'work' automatically?

DanteAlighieri

Anti authoritarian asshole asshole
kiwifarms.net
So what you're saying is there's a good chance the government is spying on me even with a VPN? It's good to know there's such a thing as multi-hop VPN chain, sounds promising. Is it possible to chain two VPNs together at once?
It's more possible to be spied on with a 14 Eyes VPN, and as for chaining VPNs I have no clue.

Stock Image Photographer

AaAaAa!
kiwifarms.net
Yeah it depends on what yourey doing, if you want to torrent and not get a notice then PIA is fine. If you're doing shady things then 14 Eyes is pretty bad.
In general, people need to consider their threat model when they're taking security/privacy precautions. How you'd protect yourself from the federal government spying on you is a lot different from how you'd protect yourself from corporations spying on you.

Reactions: Marvin

AnOminous

do you see what happens
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
In general, people need to consider their threat model when they're taking security/privacy precautions. How you'd protect yourself from the federal government spying on you is a lot different from how you'd protect yourself from corporations spying on you.
If the NSA is seriously after you, you're so fucked in so many ways that you'd be better off buying lube than being concerned with whether you're using 2048 or 4096 bit RSA keys.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino