Software Endorsements -

welcometotherock

Chanticleer Hegemony
kiwifarms.net
Chromium is an independent project and the base engine is Webkit which is from Apple.

If you don't want to use Brave because you're autistic, fine, just don't spread your faggot disinfo that hurts the Internet.
I mean, I am using Brave and I'm loving it (especially on mobile). Still, an internet dominated by Chromium-derivatives kinda hearkens back to the early-to-mid 2000s when Internet Explorer reigned supreme. Monoculture in software, especially internet-based software isn't usually a good thing. Still waiting on the BAT project to actually become an extension for Firefox so that way my own autistic ass is pleased.

GethN7

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't disagree but Mozilla Foundation is terminally exceptional.
Couldn't agree more. Firefox has gone completely to pot in Windows and runs even worse in Linux.

Update: Found that Brave can be a pain to install on Linux if you do it the official way because of some bizarre repo issues, but there is away around it that works on Debian, Ubuntu, and most other flavors of Linux derived OS.

Snap is a prepackaged, ready to use out of the box install of a program that works on Linux for anything, but the only downside is you have no control over what version of GTK is used for rendering the Snap packaged program, it will default to whatever your Desktop Manager uses.

If you can live with that, Brave works out of the box after following the snap install instructions and restarting after the install.

Last edited:

Smaug's Smokey Hole

dragron: the bruges tea soirée
kiwifarms.net
Not software related and more a tip in general. Many people seem to not have realized that they can plug many things into the same monitor at the same time, just switch the input from desktop to laptop or to something else, just like a TV, if the screen have multiple ports and isn't one of the cheap Samsung's with only one HDMI port that is.
It's a bit rare but some even have picture in picture, it is largely useless.

SomeRandomJosh

kiwifarms.net
Couldn't agree more. Firefox has gone completely to pot in Windows and runs even worse in Linux.
Just out of curiosity, are you running the latest (and x64) version? I saw a lot o people complaining about FF being slow but on either my PotatoWorkStation at work and at home I could not find this alleged slowdown compared to chrome.

GethN7

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Just out of curiosity, are you running the latest (and x64) version? I saw a lot o people complaining about FF being slow but on either my PotatoWorkStation at work and at home I could not find this alleged slowdown compared to chrome.
Tested both the latest Firefox on Linux and Windows, both latest x64 versions.

In my tests, without any extensions or plugins, Firefox always loaded pages slower than Brave by, at worst, 0.5 seconds.

Brave has always loaded faster on both for me.

Brave was also tested in an Android VM, where it's performance is always a bit slower than it's equivalents on other platforms, but long term, tended to always work slightly better than Firefox.

This may vary on actual hardware though.

Reactions: SomeRandomJosh

Smaug's Smokey Hole

kiwifarms.net
Question: I wish to extend one screen to the other. Not extend it onto two screens like usual, no I want them to be seen as one really wide screen for the program I'm running. The screens are the same size and have the same resolution, the program runs full screen so dragging it around is not an option.

Turns out that Nvidia surround works, easier than expected.

duplo-post
FireFox Quantum seemed snappy enough during the minutes it was installed while I was raging about it sneakily updating to a version that doesn't support or will never support the extensions I use.

Last edited:
Reactions: SomeRandomJosh

Stock Image Photographer

Commander of the Canadian Nazi KKK League
kiwifarms.net
The only reasons to use Firefox at this point are to use Firefox-exclusive add-ons and to fiddle with settings that you'd have to recompile the browser to change in Chrome/Brave/etc. Those reasons are enough to convince me to keep using it, but if someone doesn't care about either of those I'd tell them to use Brave if it's available to them.

GethN7

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If the stench of chan faggotry doesn't scare you off, here's a good wiki for software and hardware customization:

Here they recommend a lot of things anyone with half a brain might want to customize their OS with, and if you still have to use Windows 10 but are leery of it's security, they provide a ton of ways to anonymize yourself on it as much as possible.

They provide all sorts of useful information for users of .nix based OSes, MacOS, Windows, and even Android.

They are a bit obsessed with being anon and encryption, but we are talking about /g/entoomen, and if you want to get into that, it's worth giving them a look-see.

Last edited:

Stock Image Photographer

kiwifarms.net
Firefox in their wisdom killed that too and switched to Chrome-style extensions.
True, but there are still some exclusive add-ons like AdNauseam and a WebRTC blocker that actually works. I've also found that canvas blocking works better in Firefox, but that could just be me.

welcometotherock

Chanticleer Hegemony
kiwifarms.net
True, but there are still some exclusive add-ons like AdNauseam and a WebRTC blocker that actually works. I've also found that canvas blocking works better in Firefox, but that could just be me.
AdNauseum isn't FF exclusive. If you go onto their website, you can sideload the crx. On the downside, this does mean that Chrome/Brave/other such browsers will always have an annoying notification that tells you "please disable developer extensions" upon first load. You can close it out easily enough, but it's an extra notification to deal with.

Stock Image Photographer

kiwifarms.net
AdNauseum isn't FF exclusive. If you go onto their website, you can sideload the crx. On the downside, this does mean that Chrome/Brave/other such browsers will always have an annoying notification that tells you "please disable developer extensions" upon first load. You can close it out easily enough, but it's an extra notification to deal with.
Sideloading extensions is jank and insecure.

mugsy

kiwifarms.net
This might be oddly specific, but it's relevant to anyone with a shitty internet package. As someone currently residing in the Balkan shit funhole that is Serbia for a few months, the connection speeds offered here are marginally better than they'd be in Rwanda or some other 3rd world hellscape wonderland. After purchasing a neutered internet package from the only monopolized provider in my region, SBB, I noticed for the first time that I was unable to download large files and watch videos/streams at the same time. Certain programs like the steam client have built in download throttling, but most others don't.

In my case, I spent 3 hours downloading a game from another client while browsing text-only messageboards. Then, a friend of mine in the area told me to download Netlimiter. It allows you to easily throttle your network traffic with moderate granularity. It's very easy to use, you just check the program you want to limit and set your custom speed in kB/s. Now you can download and watch streams at the same time.

They give you a 7 day trial when you first download it. I recommend keeping the installer file, as once your trial ends, you can just reinstall it and it will refresh the 7 day period. The consensus online is that it's a decent product and doesn't fuck with your pc in anyway. There are other free versions of DL-monitors that might be worth looking into as well.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

kiwifarms.net
This might be oddly specific, but it's relevant to anyone with a shitty internet package. As someone currently residing in the Balkan shit funhole that is Serbia for a few months, the connection speeds offered here are marginally better than they'd be in Rwanda or some other 3rd world hellscape wonderland. After purchasing a neutered internet package from the only monopolized provider in my region, SBB, I noticed for the first time that I was unable to download large files and watch videos/streams at the same time. Certain programs like the steam client have built in download throttling, but most others don't.

In my case, I spent 3 hours downloading a game from another client while browsing text-only messageboards. Then, a friend of mine in the area told me to download Netlimiter. It allows you to easily throttle your network traffic with moderate granularity. It's very easy to use, you just check the program you want to limit and set your custom speed in kB/s. Now you can download and watch streams at the same time.

They give you a 7 day trial when you first download it. I recommend keeping the installer file, as once your trial ends, you can just reinstall it and it will refresh the 7 day period. The consensus online is that it's a decent product and doesn't fuck with your pc in anyway. There are other free versions of DL-monitors that might be worth looking into as well.
Do you use straight up cellular internet? Any decent router with QoS should be able to do balance traffic automatically or it can be set manually. At the dawn of cheap consumer routers with WiFi downloading a torrent could be enough to make the internet unresponsive in general for a whole house.

Even now I can't shake the habit of manually setting every program(torrent, steam, origin) to use only 98% of my bandwidth in their settings, just in case.

IRC_man

Scott Stapp impersonator
kiwifarms.net
I would like to endorse the 7-zip. basically a better version of WinRAR. it can unpack these files: AR, ARJ, CAB, CHM, CPIO, CramFS, DMG, EXT, FAT, GPT, HFS, IHEX, ISO, LZH, LZMA, MBR, MSI, NSIS, NTFS, QCOW2, RAR, RPM, SquashFS, UDF, UEFI, VDI, VHD, VMDK, WIM, XAR and Z.
enjoy

Reactions: Shaved Kiwis

GethN7

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I would like to endorse the 7-zip. basically a better version of WinRAR. it can unpack these files: AR, ARJ, CAB, CHM, CPIO, CramFS, DMG, EXT, FAT, GPT, HFS, IHEX, ISO, LZH, LZMA, MBR, MSI, NSIS, NTFS, QCOW2, RAR, RPM, SquashFS, UDF, UEFI, VDI, VHD, VMDK, WIM, XAR and Z.
enjoy
While not for Linux directly, it's runtime files do make up the core of several Linux equivalents that are the same thing by a different name, so seconded since it's very multi-platform.

BarberFerdinand

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Youtube dlg never seems to work for me anymore, it always errors; I've tried reinstalling to no avail. I know there are plenty of methods of downloading videos available, but what do the experts recommend?

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net
Reinstalling how? If you're using a linux package, just install it manually. Run "youtube-dl -U" any time you get an error. YouTube is in a constant arms race with YouTube DL.

Reactions: BarberFerdinand
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino