Software Endorsements -

a_lurker

kiwifarms.net
I don't disagree but Mozilla Foundation is terminally exceptional.
They've been leaving a shitty taste in my mouth the past few years, and it wasn't just one thing. The whole fiasco that lead to debian rebranding firefox as iceweasel, the mr. robot bullshit, and now they're talking about "premium" subscription type shit for firefox. They've made it clear they don't give a fuck about users privacy, or making the web better, the foundation wants fucking shekels so they can buy new fursuits.

I signed up to ask your (@Null) opinion about 3 pieces of software/services

Keybase
You can use your own gpg/pgp keys.
integrated crypto wallet/file sharing/git are all sort of nice.
Telegram gives me weird vibes.

LBRY
decentralized youtube with a crypto payment system baked in.
should be relatively censorship resistant

cryptocurrency could allow it to be self funding if it catches on, could also be a *coin of the week pump and dump scam with the hopes that the content distribution throws people off long enough for the devs to amass shitloads of money before they cash in and disappear shortly before it falls apart.

Mastodon/GNU Social/Pleroma (all varying shades of the same shit)
roll your own instances of twitter (basically)

IMO Cryptocurrencies, decentralized/P2P content distribution are really the only way forward to sort of have a free, unfucked internet. In a lot of ways the web browser ruined the internet, getting shit off of something accessible in the browser is going to limits its userbase, but hopefully will allow the people willing to look for shit to be able to find it without it being wiped from the net because someone got butthurt or has a financial interest in hiding it.

The "normie paradox", the more people that use it, the more likely it will turn to shit, BUT, if there aren't enough people to keep it going, it winds up dying.

Last edited:

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net
Keybase
You can use your own gpg/pgp keys.
integrated crypto wallet/file sharing/git are all sort of nice.
Telegram gives me weird vibes.
I don't use any pgp keys routinely because it's encumbering so I've never used it, though I do have an account.

LBRY
decentralized youtube with a crypto payment system baked in.
should be relatively censorship resistant

cryptocurrency could allow it to be self funding if it catches on, could also be a *coin of the week pump and dump scam with the hopes that the content distribution throws people off long enough for the devs to amass shitloads of money before they cash in and disappear shortly before it falls apart.
I also have invested in this but I've not checked up on it recently. It's a nice idea.

Mastodon/GNU Social/Pleroma (all varying shades of the same shit)
roll your own instances of twitter (basically)
GNU Social was not that great when I tried it, Pleroma I've never used though I think Cryptofurher @CrunkLord420 was setting one up, and Mastodon looks like it's catching on but I've never used it either.

tbh @CrunkLord420 probably has better developed opinions on these than me.

Poiseon

I am literal poison.
kiwifarms.net
I've switched over to Brave, as Firefox has been really stupid lately, but I'm exceptional as fuck. Is there any video downloading extension available? every time I search it it send me to Chrome, and I know it's based on Chrome to some extent, but I can't get it to work. Is there a certain way to set m,y settings, or is there no way to do have a video downloading extension on Brave?

Remove Goat

wind up goat
kiwifarms.net
GNU Social was not that great when I tried it, Pleroma I've never used though I think Cryptofurher @CrunkLord420 was setting one up, and Mastodon looks like it's catching on but I've never used it either.

tbh @CrunkLord420 probably has better developed opinions on these than me.
I think he was screaming at you for more access to the server he was running the Matrix server on to do that or something.

You'll have to revisit it with him for any progress.

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net
I've switched over to Brave, as Firefox has been really stupid lately, but I'm exceptional as fuck. Is there any video downloading extension available? every time I search it it send me to Chrome, and I know it's based on Chrome to some extent, but I can't get it to work. Is there a certain way to set m,y settings, or is there no way to do have a video downloading extension on Brave?
All Chrome extensions should work on Brave. If they don't, you should probably file a bug report.

• Informative
Reactions: Poiseon

nonvir_1984

kiwifarms.net
A lurker - https://kiwifarms.net/threads/software-endorsements.38657/post-4854579 wrote that firefox is going to have a premium version. CU*TS. I've been with them for many many years. I jusst searched and below is the reulty.
I think they had better work on their messaging. Either you are a cappo running dog - or you are for an open internet and access for all.

FF did say that the currently free capability will remain free, and only new capability, such as a VPN would cost. FF tried a VPN with protonvpn. But Proton VPN was leaking DNS like mad at one point. I ditched it. Not sure what it's like now.

Last edited:

nonvir_1984

kiwifarms.net
I use different software for different things (but all on on linux). I use Brave on KF - and also Opera (but am a bit worried about that as it has been bought by the Chinese). Still, if I'm not doing anything particularly sensitive, then I will use Opera.
I use a cache and cookie cleaner and one profile on FF to grab vids.
All behind a VPN.
I haave seen that GAB has a fork of Brave. It's called Dissenter. I've not played with it yet. Anyone have any views?

AnOminous

do you see what happens
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I use different software for different things (but all on on linux). I use Brave on KF - and also Opera (but am a bit worried about that as it has been bought by the Chinese). Still, if I'm not doing anything particularly sensitive, then I will use Opera.
I use a cache and cookie cleaner and one profile on FF to grab vids.
All behind a VPN.
I haave seen that GAB has a fork of Brave. It's called Dissenter. I've not played with it yet. Anyone have any views?
Everything Andrew Torba does is utter shit. It's almost like he's a spoiler for otherwise good ideas to discourage others from trying them by making a complete shit version of the idea to act as a placeholder.

a_lurker

kiwifarms.net
@nonvir_1984 I had completely forgotten about pocket being integrated into Firefox. Each thing on its own may not seem terrible, but if you look at all of them together, its clear they want to turn Firefox into the core product of another Diverse and Inclusive™ business with a fucking agenda that isn't "lets make a good web browser"

I don't have a problem with people getting paid for their work, but they're going about it the wrong way IMO.

They put out shit like this this patting themselves on the ass, sprinkling gay ass millennial marketing buzzwords, they're coming off as the tryhard "I'm not like the other girls" web browser.

Being primarily a linux user, i've used firefox for years. But now, I'd rather use standard chrome than firefox. At least with google they're somewhat honest with you about trying to fuck you.

nonvir_1984

kiwifarms.net
@nonvir_1984 I had completely forgotten about pocket being integrated into Firefox. Each thing on its own may not seem terrible, but if you look at all of them together, its clear they want to turn Firefox into the core product of another Diverse and Inclusive™ business with a fucking agenda that isn't "lets make a good web browser"

I don't have a problem with people getting paid for their work, but they're going about it the wrong way IMO.

They put out shit like this this patting themselves on the ass, sprinkling gay ass millennial marketing buzzwords, they're coming off as the tryhard "I'm not like the other girls" web browser.

Being primarily a linux user, i've used firefox for years. But now, I'd rather use standard chrome than firefox. At least with google they're somewhat honest with you about trying to fuck you.
Completely agree. Chromium on Ubuntu is marginally less evil that chrome; I read somewhere that ubuntu was developing their own browser - it's already in ubuntu, but I do not use it as I don't know anything about it. All I found was:
Browse the World Wide Web
A lightweight web browser tailored for Ubuntu, based on the Oxide browser engine and using the Ubuntu UI components. https://askubuntu.com/questions/747304/what-is-ubuntu-web-browser
There are FF forks out there, like palemoon, but they seem to be vanity projects.
For me, the main thing is to compartmentalize my browser use. But like you, I do not have an issue with people being paid for their efforts, but it shits me when they have all this groovy-lets-all--live-in-harmony-kum-bar-yah and then turn into hypocrites. Thus ever the way of the world.
Brave is working well; and, with securiy issues in mind, Opera is still useful.

eldri

oogity boogity boo motherfucker
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The people at privacytools.io just released several privacy-centric servies like a searx instance and a privatebin instance..

@Null, in case you see this, I remember on a stream that you asked if there were any good alternatives to pastebin. If you wanted to, you could create an instance of privatebin.

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net
I've re-added the URL for PIA on the front page because a lot of people are reporting blocks on public wifi.

AnOminous

do you see what happens
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
cmus

It's a curses-based music player without any graphics bullshit whatsoever. If you're completely sick of iTunes and whatever other dumb shit is doing everything else in the world other than just playing music.

Stock Image Photographer

Commander of the Canadian Nazi KKK League
kiwifarms.net
cmus

It's a curses-based music player without any graphics bullshit whatsoever. If you're completely sick of iTunes and whatever other dumb shit is doing everything else in the world other than just playing music.
ncmpcpp also works good for this, assuming you can remember how to type it in.

• Informative
Reactions: AnOminous

nonvir_1984

kiwifarms.net
Apart from PIA other VPNs people might consider are Airvpn, Mullvad and Perfect Privacy. They all work well with Ubuntu.
In general, I would be careful of ToR.... there is a ashit load of court cases that suggest it is more or less fucked.

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net
lol, a court case means nothing against a service with no control over anything using it.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino