Did you like the App?

• yes

• no

• Stop waisting our time

Results are only viewable after voting.

Autocrat

Fascist Emperor God-King
kiwifarms.net
I've spent like 100 hours coding Javascript puzzles but I wont take the time to learn Google Apps Script to make spreadsheets at work 10x easier.

Does anyone know google apps script?

Jdownloader. /thread

The mega desktop app puts Jdownloader to complete shame

• Feels
Reactions: Y2K Baby

GethN7

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If you want to party like it is Windows 3.1 again:

File Manager has been reborn for modern Windows, only now it supports things like Powershell and shows proper filenames.

AnOminous

But I'm not mad at anyone.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I.e. you'll get bestvideo+bestaudio downloaded separately by default and muxed into a single file, or alternatively you'll get the best single muxed file. Which is what you're telling youtube-dl to do with this

I just throw this line in .bashrc

Code:
alias you-dl="youtube-dl -f 'bestvideo[ext=mp4]+bestaudio[ext=m4a]/mp4'"

That way it does it with a shorter alias without actually having to remember that giant mess. It seems to always generate an mp4 without the last bit but I suppose I'll add it if it doesn't.

Reactions: Gustav Schuchardt
A

AF 802

kiwifarms.net
Really not so much a software request as it is on settings in an app.

I'm trying to encode some anime episodes on HandBrake as small as possible (to where they can fit on a phone) without losing too much quality. I had been using H.265 encoding via NVEnc but so far, the best I've gotten is reducing an 800MB episode down to around 270MB, and I kind of want to do more. I've seen CPU encoding can tend to process it down further, but I don't know what settings I should do to where it won't take a long time on CPU. What settings would work the best on a 2nd-gen Ryzen 5?

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Epic has the right idea.
kiwifarms.net
Really not so much a software request as it is on settings in an app.

I'm trying to encode some anime episodes on HandBrake as small as possible (to where they can fit on a phone) without losing too much quality. I had been using H.265 encoding via NVEnc but so far, the best I've gotten is reducing an 800MB episode down to around 270MB, and I kind of want to do more. I've seen CPU encoding can tend to process it down further, but I don't know what settings I should do to where it won't take a long time on CPU. What settings would work the best on a 2nd-gen Ryzen 5?

Do you use the animation setting? It's under "encoder tune" on the video tab and animation is mostly big largely similar color fields that can be compressed quite a lot.

NVenc is kind of crap(edit: it is meant for streaming on the internet), I don't even think there's any real difference in quality at equal size between NVenc 264 and NVenc 265.

I think the Ryzen 5 HW encoder is better quality wise, but go for software h.264 or h.265, the animation setting and then tweak things(and turn off everything under filters).

Instead of testing settings with an entire episode download AVIdemux and splice out a minute or two, it's easy to take out parts without recompressing them if you cut at keyframes(set audio/video to stream copy).

XMedia Recode is/was pretty decent, it is(was?) better for hardware encoding, and slower, because it used the CPU to pre-process frames before sending the video into the potato smasher/GPU encoder. That's mostly based on my experience from when Handbrake only supported QuickSync for HW encoding.

Last edited:

3119967d0c

"a brain" - @REGENDarySumanai
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, but Jdownloader works with hundreds of sites, including Mega.
* hundreds of tube sites

JDownloader really does the job. Yeah, five years ago or so, you did need to make sure you were careful to untick the right things running the installer (or you could just download the crossplatform archive that just had the Java stuff). But I don't think they bundle any adware nowadays, even in the Windows installer, and they never have in the JDownloader2 series AFAIK.

A

AF 802

kiwifarms.net
Give me a way on Linux to automatically be able to type in the proper greentext font and color by the press of a button. Kiwi doesn't do it automatically and I don't want to look up the color, font and size every time.

Blood Bath & Beyond

Russian Bot
kiwifarms.net

GoodbyeDPI and Green Tunnel are both tools used for circumventing ISP level censorship that has been implemented to block various websites by a variety of governments around the world. They both do this by blocking passive Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) and also have various ways of circumventing active DPI. GoodbyeDPI looks to be the more highly regarded of the two, but Green Tunnel has a beta GUI interface that is likely easier to use for the computer-illiterate. This would mainly be useful for people who either cannot afford or do not have access to VPN services in their respective countries. This probably won't help everyone everywhere dealing with internet censorship, but it at least looked useful enough that I thought I'd share it here.

• Informative
Reactions: Snacker

nonvir_1984

Well, that's all, folks
kiwifarms.net
Maybe someone has said this, but Brave now has ToR built in. Go to the options menu - the three horizontal bard, and select "New private window with ToR", but be aware that Tor is broken and not much good at anonymising (as the many court cases show). It's useful to access onion sites. Only problem is you can see what server cascade is being used.
As for VPNs. I've heard good things about Airvpn, Mullvad and Perfect Privacy.
As for email, protonmail is more or less now being molested by intel services constantly. People are going to other places like tutanota and some of the other european ones. I think there is one in Norway.
I do not use Thunderbird except for family stuff. The rest is only web accessible....and I only do that via a pc or lap top.
And I avoid windows and apple stuff. .... thankfully I have some friends who are tech minded who help me out.

This is geared for normies.

(Debian server, Ubuntu desktop.)
I never thought any person here was a normie. You have shattered my perceptions.
[BTW: heavily modded laptop running bog standard latest ubuntu and used by a computer moron. it is not that hard....]

AnOminous

But I'm not mad at anyone.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Maybe someone has said this, but Brave now has ToR built in. Go to the options menu - the three horizontal bard, and select "New private window with ToR", but be aware that Tor is broken and not much good at anonymising (as the many court cases show).

TOR is fine. It's the people using it who are stupid. TLAs can probably compromise it. Who cares? If you're pissing off TLAs you're already so fucked your online security is the least of your problems.

January Cyst

I could eat a knob at night
kiwifarms.net
Has somebody else noticed, that Brave no longer blocks jewtube ads?
I've tried messing with the shields, but no dice.
Version 0.67.125 Chromium: 76.0.3809.100 (Official Build) (64-bit) (Ubuntu 18.04)

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Epic has the right idea.
kiwifarms.net
This is the opposite of a software endorsement and it is something that have been true since the late 90's: don't buy anything with a VIA chipset.

If something is really cheap, a controller card or something like that, it is probably VIA, don't buy it! It will work decently if you manage to find a certain driver version and then locate the fourth dimension to splice it into computer reality at the right angle and against the protests of Windows, but Windows will later do you a bears favor and update it and then it just goes to shit. A perfectly fine external hard drive shouldn't start thrashing the head around in a way that makes it sound like there's a tiny prisoner in there rattling his mug against the prison bars. Going back to the right driver solves it and it probably won't even be the latest driver from VIA for that chip! What do they know! They have always been shit! VIA Color is decent though but that is a detergent.

Controller cards sometimes advertise that they have a chipset from a specific vendor for a good reason and they rarely advertise a VIA chipset so if the manufacturer is not specified or the card is priced way lower than others, don't buy it. Pay more to avoid the pain. I don't know if they still make south bridges, I hope not.

• Feels
  • Informative
Reactions: Safir and AnOminous

Shoggoth

kiwifarms.net
This is my personal software endorsement and you by no means have to go with it, because there's a bit of a steep learning curve:
Emacs.
(GNU) Emacs is an old text editor which has been around since the 80s. It is completely configurable in its own dialect of an ancient programming language and widely used by bearded men who smell funny and one asian lady.
Why you should use it:
Emacs has two things going for it off the bat - it's basically a virtual machine, and it's extremely flexible due to being programmable.
Combine these two factors and you see Emacs users develop the filthy habit of doing everything in Emacs.
  • Markup for documents (org mode) (can be converted to pdf, html, presentations)
  • Mission planning and breakdown (org mode)
  • spreadsheets
  • web browser
  • email client
  • rss reader
  • image viewer​
  • pdf reader​
  • media player​
And programming, ofc.
It's an extremely autistic tool but once you get past how arcane and foreign it is, using it is a very pleasant experience since it provides a uniform UI/UX for all of the above, in a rather lightweight and non cluttered manner.
You also benefit from Emacs's legacy. Unlike web browsers, email clients, media players which come and go, Emacs is still Emacs after years. You don't need to change your work flow or adopt the latest zoomer craze which later reveals itself to be some honeypot or compromised software.
The cons are obvious - learning curve, arcane, weird defaults. Still worth it in my opinion.
I still haven't made a 100% transition into Emacs but I prefer to use it for whatever I can.
If you don't want to bother with figuring it out from scratch, there are also prepackaged configurations which are software suits in their own rights.
Emacs website:
Pre-configurations (install on top of emacs)

• Semper Fidelis
Reactions: Marvin