Software Endorsements -

OwO What's This?

🕎 Happy Hanukkah! 🕎
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If someone can confirm this is safe and or link to a better one it would be very appreciated. Having Youtube videos while in an area without internet would be very nice.
it's safe

What I posted

I.e. you'll get bestvideo+bestaudio downloaded separately by default and muxed into a single file, or alternatively you'll get the best single muxed file. Which is what you're telling youtube-dl to do with this

Code:
-f bestvideo[ext=mp4]+bestaudio[ext=m4a]/mp4 --merge-output-format mp4

When I tried to do it, Kiwi Farms rejected the 360p file as too big, and the other low resolution files as 'not video'. It also rejected .m4a. So I ended up transcoding m4a to mp3. It's not like there was much of interest in the video anyway.
youtube, as well as some other video sites, often use the Opus audio format, and sometimes that is the best quality audio the video has. But Opus audio will not go into a mp4 file, so it creates a mkv file. This is a less compatible, less understood format not suited for the boomer mind, which is why I have set it to download the best mp4-compatible formats. This is not youtube-dl's default behavior.

Nobody4353

Archivist and Cyber Security Enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
If someone can confirm this is safe and or link to a better one it would be very appreciated. Having Youtube videos while in an area without internet would be very nice.
You can use the GUI version of youtube-dl if you don't want to use the batch file or use the command line:

Gustav Schuchardt

Trans exclusionary radical feminazi.
kiwifarms.net
youtube, as well as some other video sites, often use the Opus audio format, and sometimes that is the best quality audio the video has. But Opus audio will not go into a mp4 file, so it creates a mkv file. This is a less compatible, less understood format not suited for the boomer mind, which is why I have set it to download the best mp4-compatible formats.
Fair enough. Mp4 seems to be pretty well supported out of the box on non freetard OSs. Probably GPU accelerated decode too.

This post was sponsored by the MPEG Licensing Authority.

Last edited:

OwO What's This?

🕎 Happy Hanukkah! 🕎
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Fair enough. Mp4 seems to be pretty well supported out of the box on non freetard OSs. Probably GPU accelerated decode too.

This post was sponsored by the MPEG Licensing Authority.
more importantly, you can upload it as an embedded video attachment

1564187567169.png

xenforo2 doesn't know what to do with mkv

Autocrat

Xenofascist
kiwifarms.net
I've spent like 100 hours coding Javascript puzzles but I wont take the time to learn Google Apps Script to make spreadsheets at work 10x easier.

Does anyone know google apps script?

Jdownloader. /thread
The mega desktop app puts Jdownloader to complete shame

• Feels
Reactions: Libtard Baby

OwO What's This?

🕎 Happy Hanukkah! 🕎
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Learn to code.

Also, ofc OWO is into coding. As if they couldn't get more stereotypical.
i do not know how to code and never claimed to.

this is just meant as a one-click solution for people who aren't tech-savvy, and I regret posting it

GethN7

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If you want to party like it is Windows 3.1 again:

File Manager has been reborn for modern Windows, only now it supports things like Powershell and shows proper filenames.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I.e. you'll get bestvideo+bestaudio downloaded separately by default and muxed into a single file, or alternatively you'll get the best single muxed file. Which is what you're telling youtube-dl to do with this
I just throw this line in .bashrc

Code:
alias you-dl="youtube-dl -f 'bestvideo[ext=mp4]+bestaudio[ext=m4a]/mp4'"
That way it does it with a shorter alias without actually having to remember that giant mess. It seems to always generate an mp4 without the last bit but I suppose I'll add it if it doesn't.

Reactions: Gustav Schuchardt
A

AF 802

kiwifarms.net
Really not so much a software request as it is on settings in an app.

I'm trying to encode some anime episodes on HandBrake as small as possible (to where they can fit on a phone) without losing too much quality. I had been using H.265 encoding via NVEnc but so far, the best I've gotten is reducing an 800MB episode down to around 270MB, and I kind of want to do more. I've seen CPU encoding can tend to process it down further, but I don't know what settings I should do to where it won't take a long time on CPU. What settings would work the best on a 2nd-gen Ryzen 5?

Smaug's Smokey Hole

kiwifarms.net
Really not so much a software request as it is on settings in an app.

I'm trying to encode some anime episodes on HandBrake as small as possible (to where they can fit on a phone) without losing too much quality. I had been using H.265 encoding via NVEnc but so far, the best I've gotten is reducing an 800MB episode down to around 270MB, and I kind of want to do more. I've seen CPU encoding can tend to process it down further, but I don't know what settings I should do to where it won't take a long time on CPU. What settings would work the best on a 2nd-gen Ryzen 5?

Do you use the animation setting? It's under "encoder tune" on the video tab and animation is mostly big largely similar color fields that can be compressed quite a lot.

NVenc is kind of crap(edit: it is meant for streaming on the internet), I don't even think there's any real difference in quality at equal size between NVenc 264 and NVenc 265.

I think the Ryzen 5 HW encoder is better quality wise, but go for software h.264 or h.265, the animation setting and then tweak things(and turn off everything under filters).

Instead of testing settings with an entire episode download AVIdemux and splice out a minute or two, it's easy to take out parts without recompressing them if you cut at keyframes(set audio/video to stream copy).

XMedia Recode is/was pretty decent, it is(was?) better for hardware encoding, and slower, because it used the CPU to pre-process frames before sending the video into the potato smasher/GPU encoder. That's mostly based on my experience from when Handbrake only supported QuickSync for HW encoding.

Last edited:

3119967d0c

رنج آمریکایی ها
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, but Jdownloader works with hundreds of sites, including Mega.
* hundreds of tube sites

JDownloader really does the job. Yeah, five years ago or so, you did need to make sure you were careful to untick the right things running the installer (or you could just download the crossplatform archive that just had the Java stuff). But I don't think they bundle any adware nowadays, even in the Windows installer, and they never have in the JDownloader2 series AFAIK.

A

AF 802

kiwifarms.net
Give me a way on Linux to automatically be able to type in the proper greentext font and color by the press of a button. Kiwi doesn't do it automatically and I don't want to look up the color, font and size every time.

Blood Bath & Beyond

Proud Cracker
kiwifarms.net

GoodbyeDPI and Green Tunnel are both tools used for circumventing ISP level censorship that has been implemented to block various websites by a variety of governments around the world. They both do this by blocking passive Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) and also have various ways of circumventing active DPI. GoodbyeDPI looks to be the more highly regarded of the two, but Green Tunnel has a beta GUI interface that is likely easier to use for the computer-illiterate. This would mainly be useful for people who either cannot afford or do not have access to VPN services in their respective countries. This probably won't help everyone everywhere dealing with internet censorship, but it at least looked useful enough that I thought I'd share it here.

• Informative
Reactions: Snacker

nonvir_1984

Well, that's all, folks
kiwifarms.net
Maybe someone has said this, but Brave now has ToR built in. Go to the options menu - the three horizontal bard, and select "New private window with ToR", but be aware that Tor is broken and not much good at anonymising (as the many court cases show). It's useful to access onion sites. Only problem is you can see what server cascade is being used.
As for VPNs. I've heard good things about Airvpn, Mullvad and Perfect Privacy.
As for email, protonmail is more or less now being molested by intel services constantly. People are going to other places like tutanota and some of the other european ones. I think there is one in Norway.
I do not use Thunderbird except for family stuff. The rest is only web accessible....and I only do that via a pc or lap top.
And I avoid windows and apple stuff. .... thankfully I have some friends who are tech minded who help me out.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino