• no

• Stop waisting our time

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ahriman

Vivere Militare Est.
kiwifarms.net
Browsers - Brave, Bromite, IceCat (lol)
F-Droid - FOSS appstore.
Termux - Some sort of a Debian chroot with it's own package repo.
Amaze - Basically the best file manager there is.
NewPipe - Youtube frontend, no account needed and no ads. There is also a easy "download" feature.
Cool, I have been using Aptoide as a FOSS appstore, and Opera as a browser over Brave only because Opera's "night mode" is so damn convenient. Thanks for the recommendations!

Ruin

#respectskeltins
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Has somebody else noticed, that Brave no longer blocks jewtube ads?
I've tried messing with the shields, but no dice.
Version 0.67.125 Chromium: 76.0.3809.100 (Official Build) (64-bit) (Ubuntu 18.04)

Brave still blocks Youtube ads for me. You sure you haven'y fucked something up in the settings?

3119967d0c

"a brain" - @REGENDarySumanai
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Browsers - Brave, Bromite, IceCat (lol)
F-Droid - FOSS appstore.
Termux - Some sort of a Debian chroot with it's own package repo.
Amaze - Basically the best file manager there is.
NewPipe - Youtube frontend, no account needed and no ads. There is also a easy "download" feature.
Second F-Droid, I try to install absolutely everything from there if possible. A number of apps which are open source, but have a paid version on Google Play, have a free download option on F-Droid with all the paid features, on the assumption that people sensible enough to avoid Google Play are also moral enough to pay the man doing the job of making them for what he's doing.

I'll have to give Amaze a go. I'm a big fan of the 'Simple' tools- 'Simple File Manager', 'Simple Gallery' etc. 'Simple Flashlight' is great for all your light-emitting tasks. The chap who makes them is well worth supporting.

Some great choices from F-Droid:
  • 'OsmAnd'/'OsmAnd+' gives you some great functionality for offline GPS navigation so you can minimize your Google exposure, and some unusual features you won't get elsewhere (the ability to tag your car in a carpark to return to).
  • 'Aegis' is a good fully compatible alternative to Google Authenticator et. al., with good import and export functionality if you need to move phones.
  • 'Open Camera' is a great camera application, with easy functions to disable GPS tagging etc.
  • 'Syncthing' works great on Android as everywhere else to sync folders between phones.. or phones and computers.
  • 'MuPDF' is a great lightweight PDF viewer.
  • 'Yalp Store' lets you install and update apps from Google Play without having to have a Google account login setup, to decrease your exposure to enemy tracking.
  • 'KeePass DX' is good for using KeePass password DBs (perhaps synced from your PC via SyncThing) on your Android device.

And of course, if you're on Android 7.0 or later, you have the ability to set your VPN to always-on. This is an absolute must-do to minimize your exposure online.

One app I use which is only available on Google Play, but may be worth installing for peace of mind, is VirusTotal Mobile. It's not actually made by the VirusTotal folks but they do at least link it on their site. I'm a bit skeptical of the value of mobile antivirus, given that the biggest threats to your safety on mobile come from the operating system provider followed by the device manufacturer, but at least using VirusTotal to scan everything lets you take advantage of as many different scanner engines as possible.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Epic has the right idea.
kiwifarms.net
It is a repeat but I think it's worth it, it has become absolutely essential for me.

Voidtool Everything Search

It is so good. It replaces the absolutely dog shit Windows Search and it is instant, with lots of additional options and switches/toggles/regex for more advanced searches and it integrates with the rest of windows very well. It has almost replaced Explorer for me personally, Cut/Copy/paste can be done into explorer windows or even within Everything itself, custom batch-renaming doesn't need PowerShell anymore. Just fantastic.

Isaac Cox

XD
kiwifarms.net
Null said:

It's adblocking is shit and doesn't let you customize, uses Google as the default search engine and sends unsolicited requests to a bunch of (((partners))) every time it starts. Yeah, let's use literal spyware by the creator of kikezilla to browse the internet on.

Use Pale Moon or unGoogled-Chromium with uMatrix.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raging Capybara

Null

kiwifarms.net
It's adblocking is shit and doesn't let you customize, uses Google as the default search engine and sends unsolicited requests to a bunch of (((partners))) every time it starts. Yeah, let's use literal spyware by the creator of kikezilla to browse the internet on.

Use Pale Moon or unGoogled-Chromium with uMatrix.
Anyone who uses Pale Moon needs to be fucking shot dead. Utter fucking mongoloids so afraid of change they'd be sitting around a campfire painting cavewalls with fingerpaints if that was what they grew up with.

Isaac Cox

XD
kiwifarms.net
Anyone who uses Pale Moon needs to be fucking shot dead. Utter fucking mongoloids so afraid of change they'd be sitting around a campfire painting cavewalls with fingerpaints if that was what they grew up with.

It doesn't have any useless pretend privacy bloat and doesn't decorate itself with "we value your privacy" mottos but sells you out anyway like brave or firefox. What change are you talking about?

annoyingfuck

kiwifarms.net
Made a custom Linux for Kiwis:

Dude NOOOOOOOOO *sigh* you just know I'm going to have to give it a go!

I've been ignoring this thread for ages, I knew I should have kept ignoring it!

Null

kiwifarms.net
It doesn't have any useless pretend privacy bloat and doesn't decorate itself with "we value your privacy" mottos but sells you out anyway like brave or firefox. What change are you talking about?
It doesn't fucking work and require specific CSS hacks to accommodate the 0.0001% of the (VERY, VERY VOCAL) Internet that fucking uses it like it's fucking 2003.

Diabeetus

The hyeckin frickyen sweetist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If you're a phonefag, Cloudflare has a new VPN called WARP that comes with their DNS resolver, 1.1.1.1. It's free for 10 GB, but their paid option that gives you unlimited data only costs 5 motherfucking dollars. That's probably the lowest price for a VPN I have ever heard, and so far, it's pretty good.

If you are still bitter about 8chan, I understand completely. But if a service works well, it is what it is.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Epic has the right idea.
kiwifarms.net
A lot of things about video and video accessories and only software that is free, no paid stuff.

This will be split into a couple of parts/posts.

Starting with Simple things that are easy to learns seems like a good idea. If anything interests you just google the names.

1. AviDemux, it a small and very simple editor. You don't want to edit in it, it is for quick trimming or for pulling out video/sound from different parts of the file. Set an in marker then an out marker and save, anything between those two will be saved as a clip without encoding them again(if output is set as copy). then that can be repeated until you have everything you want. It is also possible to append several clips into a bigger one, don't do this.

Audio tracks can easily be extracted from a video in seconds by pressing the "audio" menu up top, no need to use command line ffmpeg or anything like that.

This is the it with no video loaded. The interface is sparse but it does it's job very well.
avidemux0.JPG

Highlighted in yellow are the setting I recommend, trimming or extracting a sequence happens about as fast as your hard drive can handle the reading/writing if it's just copied out. Sound can also be shifted if out of sync.
avidemux1.JPG

At the bottom of the picture above is "configure", it can set the flag for the aspect ratio. If you captured something from VHS(4:3) the computer file might end up 16:9. Change the flag, click, it's done. Useful from time to time.
avidemux2.JPG

It can recompress into different formats but Handbrake is a way better and more comprehensible solution. It can be useful if the clip/video is in some shit format that cannot be cut or makes handbrake crash. If the video is meant to be part of an editing project then just pick mp4 and put the bitrate at 20,000, little to no quality will be lost, compression will be fast and the file will be huge. But it works.
avidemux3.JPG

Handbrake can also burn in subtitles such as .ass, I will return to those.

2. MKVToolNix, it looks like this. It does a lot of what AVIDemux does plus some other things, so it has some uses even though the interface isn't the friendliest.
mktvoolnix.JPG

Muxing/demuxing is easy, splitting both the video file into a pure video file and a pure audio file. Or muxing in more audio tracks or making subtitles part of the container instead of separate files.
It can add chapter markers as well, useful for those that wants all their One Piece episodes into in a gigantic file. MKVToolNix is a bit fickle though, it has a touch of the *ixsm.

For subbing or adding text or simple graphics there's a program called AegisSub, created for weebs by weebs to translate anime, and it is actually really good. It is a basic text editor, text can otherwise be a pain in the ass in video editor, with lots of options for styles, easy to time code things and so on. I've met people that use it a lot without knowing it is a program to subtitle anime, it's pretty remarkable.
aegis.JPG

With those programs and a couple of minutes of spare time you can easily start cranking out total garbage and spam imgur with it.

Coolio55

<(0_0<) <(0_0)> (>0_0)> KIRBY DANCE
kiwifarms.net
Just use blender retarb 😳😳😳😳😳😳
The new version even doesn't rely on vaguely documented keyboard shortcuts that much anymore and has a better UI overall.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole

Give Her The D

You have been BAMBOOZLED
kiwifarms.net
Private Internet Access has really been suffering from congested servers recently. Tell me some good VPNs that aren't fucking Nord that actually let you subscribe monthly without paying $15+ a month.

I'd love to try Nord if they didn't make you buy 3+ years of service to get the good deal with money I don't have.