Software Endorsements -

nonvir_1984

Well, that's all, folks
kiwifarms.net
This is geared for normies.

(Debian server, Ubuntu desktop.)
I never thought any person here was a normie. You have shattered my perceptions.
[BTW: heavily modded laptop running bog standard latest ubuntu and used by a computer moron. it is not that hard....]

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Maybe someone has said this, but Brave now has ToR built in. Go to the options menu - the three horizontal bard, and select "New private window with ToR", but be aware that Tor is broken and not much good at anonymising (as the many court cases show).
TOR is fine. It's the people using it who are stupid. TLAs can probably compromise it. Who cares? If you're pissing off TLAs you're already so fucked your online security is the least of your problems.

GethN7

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Made a custom Linux for Kiwis:

January Cyst

Problematizing Whiteness
kiwifarms.net
Has somebody else noticed, that Brave no longer blocks jewtube ads?
I've tried messing with the shields, but no dice.
Version 0.67.125 Chromium: 76.0.3809.100 (Official Build) (64-bit) (Ubuntu 18.04)

Smaug's Smokey Hole

kiwifarms.net
This is the opposite of a software endorsement and it is something that have been true since the late 90's: don't buy anything with a VIA chipset.

If something is really cheap, a controller card or something like that, it is probably VIA, don't buy it! It will work decently if you manage to find a certain driver version and then locate the fourth dimension to splice it into computer reality at the right angle and against the protests of Windows, but Windows will later do you a bears favor and update it and then it just goes to shit. A perfectly fine external hard drive shouldn't start thrashing the head around in a way that makes it sound like there's a tiny prisoner in there rattling his mug against the prison bars. Going back to the right driver solves it and it probably won't even be the latest driver from VIA for that chip! What do they know! They have always been shit! VIA Color is decent though but that is a detergent.

Controller cards sometimes advertise that they have a chipset from a specific vendor for a good reason and they rarely advertise a VIA chipset so if the manufacturer is not specified or the card is priced way lower than others, don't buy it. Pay more to avoid the pain. I don't know if they still make south bridges, I hope not.

• Feels
  • Informative
Reactions: Safir and AnOminous

Shoggoth

kiwifarms.net
This is my personal software endorsement and you by no means have to go with it, because there's a bit of a steep learning curve:
Emacs.
(GNU) Emacs is an old text editor which has been around since the 80s. It is completely configurable in its own dialect of an ancient programming language and widely used by bearded men who smell funny and one asian lady.
Why you should use it:
Emacs has two things going for it off the bat - it's basically a virtual machine, and it's extremely flexible due to being programmable.
Combine these two factors and you see Emacs users develop the filthy habit of doing everything in Emacs.
  • Markup for documents (org mode) (can be converted to pdf, html, presentations)
  • Mission planning and breakdown (org mode)
  • spreadsheets
  • web browser
  • email client
  • rss reader
  • image viewer​
  • pdf reader​
  • media player​
And programming, ofc.
It's an extremely autistic tool but once you get past how arcane and foreign it is, using it is a very pleasant experience since it provides a uniform UI/UX for all of the above, in a rather lightweight and non cluttered manner.
You also benefit from Emacs's legacy. Unlike web browsers, email clients, media players which come and go, Emacs is still Emacs after years. You don't need to change your work flow or adopt the latest zoomer craze which later reveals itself to be some honeypot or compromised software.
The cons are obvious - learning curve, arcane, weird defaults. Still worth it in my opinion.
I still haven't made a 100% transition into Emacs but I prefer to use it for whatever I can.
If you don't want to bother with figuring it out from scratch, there are also prepackaged configurations which are software suits in their own rights.
Emacs website:
Pre-configurations (install on top of emacs)

• Semper Fidelis
Reactions: Marvin

Ahriman

Vivere Militare Est.
kiwifarms.net
Browsers - Brave, Bromite, IceCat (lol)
F-Droid - FOSS appstore.
Termux - Some sort of a Debian chroot with it's own package repo.
Amaze - Basically the best file manager there is.
NewPipe - Youtube frontend, no account needed and no ads. There is also a easy "download" feature.
Cool, I have been using Aptoide as a FOSS appstore, and Opera as a browser over Brave only because Opera's "night mode" is so damn convenient. Thanks for the recommendations!

Ruin

#respectskeltins
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Has somebody else noticed, that Brave no longer blocks jewtube ads?
I've tried messing with the shields, but no dice.
Version 0.67.125 Chromium: 76.0.3809.100 (Official Build) (64-bit) (Ubuntu 18.04)
Brave still blocks Youtube ads for me. You sure you haven'y fucked something up in the settings?

3119967d0c

رنج آمریکایی ها
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Browsers - Brave, Bromite, IceCat (lol)
F-Droid - FOSS appstore.
Termux - Some sort of a Debian chroot with it's own package repo.
Amaze - Basically the best file manager there is.
NewPipe - Youtube frontend, no account needed and no ads. There is also a easy "download" feature.
Second F-Droid, I try to install absolutely everything from there if possible. A number of apps which are open source, but have a paid version on Google Play, have a free download option on F-Droid with all the paid features, on the assumption that people sensible enough to avoid Google Play are also moral enough to pay the man doing the job of making them for what he's doing.

I'll have to give Amaze a go. I'm a big fan of the 'Simple' tools- 'Simple File Manager', 'Simple Gallery' etc. 'Simple Flashlight' is great for all your light-emitting tasks. The chap who makes them is well worth supporting.

Some great choices from F-Droid:
  • 'OsmAnd'/'OsmAnd+' gives you some great functionality for offline GPS navigation so you can minimize your Google exposure, and some unusual features you won't get elsewhere (the ability to tag your car in a carpark to return to).
  • 'Aegis' is a good fully compatible alternative to Google Authenticator et. al., with good import and export functionality if you need to move phones.
  • 'Open Camera' is a great camera application, with easy functions to disable GPS tagging etc.
  • 'Syncthing' works great on Android as everywhere else to sync folders between phones.. or phones and computers.
  • 'MuPDF' is a great lightweight PDF viewer.
  • 'Yalp Store' lets you install and update apps from Google Play without having to have a Google account login setup, to decrease your exposure to enemy tracking.
  • 'KeePass DX' is good for using KeePass password DBs (perhaps synced from your PC via SyncThing) on your Android device.

And of course, if you're on Android 7.0 or later, you have the ability to set your VPN to always-on. This is an absolute must-do to minimize your exposure online.

One app I use which is only available on Google Play, but may be worth installing for peace of mind, is VirusTotal Mobile. It's not actually made by the VirusTotal folks but they do at least link it on their site. I'm a bit skeptical of the value of mobile antivirus, given that the biggest threats to your safety on mobile come from the operating system provider followed by the device manufacturer, but at least using VirusTotal to scan everything lets you take advantage of as many different scanner engines as possible.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

kiwifarms.net
It is a repeat but I think it's worth it, it has become absolutely essential for me.

Voidtool Everything Search

It is so good. It replaces the absolutely dog shit Windows Search and it is instant, with lots of additional options and switches/toggles/regex for more advanced searches and it integrates with the rest of windows very well. It has almost replaced Explorer for me personally, Cut/Copy/paste can be done into explorer windows or even within Everything itself, custom batch-renaming doesn't need PowerShell anymore. Just fantastic.

Isaac Cox

kiwifarms.net
Null said:
It's adblocking is shit and doesn't let you customize, uses Google as the default search engine and sends unsolicited requests to a bunch of (((partners))) every time it starts. Yeah, let's use literal spyware by the creator of kikezilla to browse the internet on.

Use Pale Moon or unGoogled-Chromium with uMatrix.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raging Capybara

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net
It's adblocking is shit and doesn't let you customize, uses Google as the default search engine and sends unsolicited requests to a bunch of (((partners))) every time it starts. Yeah, let's use literal spyware by the creator of kikezilla to browse the internet on.

Use Pale Moon or unGoogled-Chromium with uMatrix.
Anyone who uses Pale Moon needs to be fucking shot dead. Utter fucking mongoloids so afraid of change they'd be sitting around a campfire painting cavewalls with fingerpaints if that was what they grew up with.

Isaac Cox

kiwifarms.net
Anyone who uses Pale Moon needs to be fucking shot dead. Utter fucking mongoloids so afraid of change they'd be sitting around a campfire painting cavewalls with fingerpaints if that was what they grew up with.
It doesn't have any useless pretend privacy bloat and doesn't decorate itself with "we value your privacy" mottos but sells you out anyway like brave or firefox. What change are you talking about?

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino