Software Endorsements -

Did you like the App?

• yes

• no

• Stop waisting our time

Results are only viewable after voting.

Null

kiwifarms.net
If you know enough to know what single homing is, why are you not just setting up your own $5/mo VPNs on DigitalOcean/HostKey/whatever and using OpenVPN?

Give Her The D

You have been BAMBOOZLED
kiwifarms.net
If you know enough to know what single homing is, why are you not just setting up your own $5/mo VPNs on DigitalOcean/HostKey/whatever and using OpenVPN?

Bandwidth limits on DigitalOcean. I'd really prefer a US based server for latency reasons and you're going to be up a creek for affordable unlimited bandwidth in the US.

Europe's the way to go, but the ping on my connection is going to be a disaster doing that way.

nonvir_1984

Well, that's all, folks
kiwifarms.net
Thanks.

I see their top recommendation is Mullvad. I've used them before, albeit I had a lot of issues with my closest server considering it was a single homed Cogent provider it seems. Might try it again.
I have used Mullvad in the past. And I have also used Airvpn, through work but they have changed to a different one that is shit. Both Mullvad and Airvpn are OK. Both have easy to use apps. If you get adventurous you can play round with the settings. The Mullvad app permits a kind of basic multihop now. If you want to pay a bit more, you can go for perfect privacy which has multihop, but I'm not sure how important that is.
The main thing is that cool folks don't do bad (illegal) shit.

• Disagree
Reactions: 3119967d0c

NOT Sword Fighter Super

"Cheerleeder" of Slapfights
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If this had already been posted, then mark me late and I'll delete this, but I don't have time to go through 29 pages of shit.

Youtube Vanced. It's an excellent Android YouTube app with adblock and background/screen off play built into it. Does not requite root, extremely easy to install.

The only issue I've come across is that it seems like you can't superchat from this app (but who fucking cares about that shit), and I haven't look all that hard, but I don't think there's an IOS compatible version.

Really great app, I can't recommend it enough.

Edit:
Also Startmail for an e-mail client/provider. You get up to 10 e-mail aliases and optional key phrase encryption. They've been testing out a beta version of their service that is mobile friendly and it seems to work pretty well
It's not free (I think it's like $60.00/year, but I'd rather pay for email that is secure than get a free one that some dickhead company is using to sell every bit of marketable information about me.

Last edited:
Reactions: No Exit

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Epic has the right idea.
kiwifarms.net
The main thing is that cool folks don't do bad (illegal) shit.

That's what worries folk because what is bad and/or illegal keeps changing and we know how almost everything that isn't praise will fall under the "hate and harassment" umbrella.

In the UK a man got a visit from the police for retweeting a limerick(it was a poem actually).
What had he done to draw the attention of the police? There is no suggestion that Miller has done anything illegal. Yet he says he still had that 34 minute conversation with a police officer who warned him about his behaviour and spoke repeatedly about a ‘victim’ of Miller’s conduct.

It got recorded as a hate incident.

People aren't happy about it but who listens to them?
trans limerick.jpg

If a VPN makes it so that they know they can't find the people joking about trannies they might eventually have to do some actual police work.

Senor Cardgage Mortgage

Censoring your French cartoons since 2011.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Do you guys hate YouTube videos with sponsors in them like "THIS VIDEO IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY RAID SHADOW RELM"

There's an addon on chrome and firefox called Sponsorblock that skips those.

The program doesn't automatically know that there's a sponsor, it's all crowdsourced. One person clicks on a button on the addon saying where the sponsorship begins and ends;
It's great tbh

Philosophy Zombie

No Gods No Masters
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I use Chasys Draw IES for compiling and editing all my avatars that need it and other digital art stuff if I'm in the mood for that. It does almost all the stuff you want photoshop to do without having to pirate or give Adobe money or using the pile of shit that is GIMP, so I recommend it.

Give Her The D

You have been BAMBOOZLED
kiwifarms.net
I am looking for a throwaway sms service. Something that works with google or Twitter, so I will probably need to spend money on it.
Any recommendations?

You're going to be up a creek for that. Twilio (who most of these sites use for SMS verification) are really good about registering wheter a prefix is VoIP-based (Google Voice, etc) or on a traditional cell carrier like AT&T or Verizon.

Buy a burner cell (Tracfone-type ones) and reload it using prepaid cards every now and then.

Bender

The life-ender fender Bender
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Windows Defender for antivirus/spyware (no sense paying $40+ a year for something that's build-in to Windows)
Paint.NET or GIMP for image editing
Brave browser for web browsing
ImageGlass for image viewing
VLC for videos and/or music (some people prefer MPC, but you don't have to install separate codecs with VLC)
Wire for everything Skype does, but securer
ProtonMail for email
ProtonVPN for VPN (it's got a free version, but it's somewhat limited)
BleachBit for deleting files (click the button in the top-left, then preferences and tick "overwrite files")
BitWarden for password management
Authy for 2FA management (it syncs between mobile and desktop)
Telegram/Signal for messaging
7zip for decompressing files

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: c-no and 3119967d0c

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Epic has the right idea.
kiwifarms.net
ImageGlass for image viewing

I took a look at it and it seems like a clunkier and slower IrfanView with less features.

VLC for videos and/or music (some people prefer MPC, but you don't have to install separate codecs with VLC)

MPC still works great, VLC has some great features that MPC doesn't have but there are things in MPC that, to my knowledge, VLC doesn't have. Like pressing a button to find subtitles in any language for what you are watching right now. That is pretty good.

BleachBit for deleting files (click the button in the top-left, then preferences and tick "overwrite files")

That's spotty on SSD's as far as I know, but I might be wildly out of touch, I will admit to that. Secure delete is another option and something that many miss or don't think of is pruning the NTFS file table. Because it is not possible. Unless it is spammed with millions of garbage entries and that is hardly discrete if someone is trying to hide something. BleachBit should be doing that, but I don't know.

This was several years ago and my memory is hazy, but I seem to remember that I did a full wipe and reinstall on one laptop but the NTFS table was largely untouched, it was when I first started thinking about this. The laptops were going to be sold, there was nothing sensitive on them, they had been secure erased so data could not be recovered, but paths, size and filenames were still there. That intrigued me, how can you manipulate the file table? By writing a script that floods it with garbage, as it turns out. Or fully reformating, that works as well.

Either way, name your spergy revolutionary white supremacist or communist manifesto BrittneySpearsSextapeFacialLinkinPark.rm and place it in a folder called pr0n, the glowies won't know what to make of it.

7zip for decompressing files

7zip is alright.

Bender

The life-ender fender Bender
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
that doesnt help with getting a new number for a new twitter acc.
You don't have free SIM cards where you're from? I can walk into a network provider's shop and leave with as many PAYG SIM cards as I can carry, each with their own phone number.