Software Endorsements -

Ineedahero

kiwifarms.net
MPC still works great, VLC has some great features that MPC doesn't have but there are things in MPC that, to my knowledge, VLC doesn't have. Like pressing a button to find subtitles in any language for what you are watching right now. That is pretty good.
Wait what button is that? I just started watching elementary, but the sound mix on the torrent I got is shit, so I have been using plex to watch it for exactly that reason. But I only really have plex for my mobile devices and family, I would much prefer to watch it with mpc or vlc.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

kiwifarms.net
Wait what button is that? I just started watching elementary, but the sound mix on the torrent I got is shit, so I have been using plex to watch it for exactly that reason. But I only really have plex for my mobile devices and family, I would much prefer to watch it with mpc or vlc.
It should be D or ctrl-d by default but I changed it a long time ago. Just go into file - subtitles - download subtitles (the shortcut is written next to that). You can enable a couple of other subtitle databases in the options menu.

Thumbnails on how it looks on PC.
mpcsub1.JPG mpcsub2.JPG

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
MPC still works great, VLC has some great features that MPC doesn't have but there are things in MPC that, to my knowledge, VLC doesn't have. Like pressing a button to find subtitles in any language for what you are watching right now. That is pretty good.
mpv does all I need to do.

Leibowitz

Bless me Father, I ate a lizard.
kiwifarms.net
I just migrated from NordVPN to MullVad after two years on Nord. Like many others, I wasn't really comfortable with how mainstream they were becoming, and the announcement of that hack coincided conveniently with my service expiring. MullVad is a bit less feature rich, and the beta Android client is rough around the edges, but I am satisfied so far.

nonvir_1984

Well, that's all, folks
kiwifarms.net
If this had already been posted, then mark me late and I'll delete this, but I don't have time to go through 29 pages of shit.

Youtube Vanced. It's an excellent Android YouTube app with adblock and background/screen off play built into it. Does not requite root, extremely easy to install.

The only issue I've come across is that it seems like you can't superchat from this app (but who fucking cares about that shit), and I haven't look all that hard, but I don't think there's an IOS compatible version.

Really great app, I can't recommend it enough.

Edit:
Also Startmail for an e-mail client/provider. You get up to 10 e-mail aliases and optional key phrase encryption. They've been testing out a beta version of their service that is mobile friendly and it seems to work pretty well
It's not free (I think it's like $60.00/year, but I'd rather pay for email that is secure than get a free one that some dickhead company is using to sell every bit of marketable information about me.
Tech friend recommended Tutanota and also Posteo. With Tutanota you can get a free account; with Posteo, it costs about 20 Euro per year. Anyone have experience with them? I've used Tutanota and it seems OK.

nonvir_1984

Well, that's all, folks
kiwifarms.net
For folks who are a bit adventerous (and have an old laptop or pc) there is a linux system that might be worth a look: https://www.pureos.net/
I read about in on a privacy/anonymity/security forum. I have had a bit of a play and it seems like it might be (a) easy to use and (b) configured for privacy - but no guarantees, it's just what they say. You download it, burn it to a USB and can try it from that - you do not have to install it.
Another one i had a play with was pixel by raspberry pi. That make a desktop: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspberry-pi-desktop/
Again, this can be burnt to a USB, using etcher - and will run OK. I've had a bit of a play and it is easy to use. But I do not know about the security side of it. Maybe someone here has had a play.
The reason I use linux is not because I'm some tech but because i am too stingy to pay for windows and won't use a Mac.

Wingus Dongshire

kiwifarms.net
For folks who are a bit adventerous (and have an old laptop or pc) there is a linux system that might be worth a look: https://www.pureos.net/
I read about in on a privacy/anonymity/security forum. I have had a bit of a play and it seems like it might be (a) easy to use and (b) configured for privacy - but no guarantees, it's just what they say. You download it, burn it to a USB and can try it from that - you do not have to install it.
Another one i had a play with was pixel by raspberry pi. That make a desktop: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspberry-pi-desktop/
Again, this can be burnt to a USB, using etcher - and will run OK. I've had a bit of a play and it is easy to use. But I do not know about the security side of it. Maybe someone here has had a play.
The reason I use linux is not because I'm some tech but because i am too stingy to pay for windows and won't use a Mac.
Is Tails not the definitive preassembled privacy distro anymore?

• Agree
Reactions: Jwhy

Wingus Dongshire

kiwifarms.net
TAILS is still the paranoid's choice imo as it still remembers nothing from session to session unless you go out of your way to make it. Having some security related add-ons isn't the same as being entirely for the purpose of security.
My entire basis for TAILS being the paranoid's choice is their official install documents saying "Install this liveCD to install another liveCD"

That really touched my heart's autism.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
My entire basis for TAILS being the paranoid's choice is their official install documents saying "Install this liveCD to install another liveCD"

That really touched my heart's autism.
There was also something called Tinfoil Hat Linux. I'm not sure if that still exists but it was much more roll your own and more than I'd be able to turn into something I could use.

Shoggoth

kiwifarms.net
Tech friend recommended Tutanota and also Posteo. With Tutanota you can get a free account; with Posteo, it costs about 20 Euro per year. Anyone have experience with them? I've used Tutanota and it seems OK.
And this hit the news:
https://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/netzpolitik/tutanota-gericht-zwingt-provider-e-mails-unverschluesselt-herauszugeben-a-1296036.html | https://archive.li/atsJ4
Used google translate
The e-mail provider Tutanota can be forced by court order to publish messages from its customers unencrypted to investigators. This became known through research by "Süddeutscher Zeitung", NDR and WDR. The start-up from Hannover presents itself as "the world's most secure e-mail service." As a German-based company, however, it faces a legal situation that makes it even difficult for providers who deliberately collect little data about their customers makes to withdraw inquiries from investigators.

The district court of Itzehoe had reported to Tutanota at the beginning of October 2018: Managing Director Matthias Pfau had been asked by a letter to enable investigators to read certain e-mails from a customer in real time, according to the reports. The request involved inbound and outbound email that is not end-to-end encrypted, but which is protected from outside access by Tutanota servers using corporate-grade encryption. On the other hand, Tutanota can not decrypt the contents of messages that use end-to-end encryption because both parties are using the service.

Background of the court claim were according to the WDR ransomware attacks on companies from Schleswig-Holstein, where a mail address of Tutanota was used. This address wanted to monitor investigators. The petitioner referred to Article 100a of the Code of Criminal Procedure and Section 110 of the Telecommunications Act (TKG), it is said. The TKG regulates which data providers must pass on, but it is in many respects outdated or vague.

Matthias Pfau initially refused to comply with the demand of the district court. Then, however, the court ruled that Tutanota had to hand over the data and imposed a 1,000 euro fine - and the Federal Constitutional Court made a ruling that prompted Peacock not to fight back.

At that time, the Federal Constitutional Court dismissed a constitutional complaint from Posteo. The court's press release stated: "It is not contrary to the Basic Law that the provider of an e-mail service is required under a properly ordered telecommunications surveillance to provide the investigating authorities with the Internet Protocol addresses ('IP addresses') on theirs Account to accessing customers even if he has organized his service for privacy reasons so that he does not log these. "

Similar to Tutanota, Posteo also promotes customers for its mailboxes with a focus on data economy and IT security. Immediately after the message from Karlsruhe, Posteo had announced an "architectural solution" that "does not affect the safety and the rights of our customers". In the meantime, the company refers to a decision of the European Court of Justice on mail services from June and stresses that it has not carried out any reconstruction work on its systems.

Tutanota reacted to the conflict with the district court Itzehoe with a new function, it is said in the media reports: If an account for a valid order of a German court is present, the enterprise could in addition a copy of not end-to-end encrypted emails that investigators can read. Retroactively, however, such copies could not be created - and the contents of end-to-end encrypted mail remained unreadable for Tutanota and investigators.

The Spiegel said Matthias Pfau, the described function exist at Tutanota since June. It is selectively and only for individual accounts turned on, if there is a corresponding valid court order. "We try to protect privacy as much as possible and are therefore not happy to have to install such a feature," says Pfau.

Practically, the feature was already used. This can be seen in Tutanota's latest Transparency Report, which informs customers about regulatory inquiries from the first half of 2019. There are four requests for "real-time content data" the speech. And it also means that in four cases "real-time content data" was issued due to a valid court order. Once it should have gone to the mailbox, which was associated with the ransomware attacks in Schleswig-Holstein, told the SPIEGEL.

Update, 6:15 pm: In this article, we have clarified the passages to Posteo and added a reference to the June judgment of the European Court of Justice as well as a current statement from the company.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino