• yes

• no

• Stop waisting our time

Results are only viewable after voting.

Slappy McGherkin

Bartender? Make that a double.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This would have been useful 10 years ago. Now most people who needed this have multiple monitors.
Agreed, but I can still see "some value" in it using a laptop that's not docked to your monitors (airport, traveling, whatever). But even then, you could just resize the windows you want open and have them all on your desktop (which is basically how I do it when needed).

3119967d0c

"a brain" - @REGENDarySumanai
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Huh. That's actually kind of cool in terms of being usable to bring up only part of a window rather than the whole window.

AnOminous

So what?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I'm going to repeat that cmus is fucking awesome and so are most curses apps. They just work and fuck your GUI bullshit.

Reactions: ditto

Splendid

Ignore mods. Report and negrate their posts.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Not only will that never work for consumers, but some shit is just better on a GUI. Command line superiority shit is lolcowish.

DanteAlighieri

I hate commies
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've used OnTopReplica many times even with multiple monitors, helps when I'm trying to use multiple windows at a time. It lets you use parts of a window and you can enable or disable clickthrough.

Reactions: 3119967d0c

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Epic has the right idea.
kiwifarms.net
LuaMacros is a program made by flight sim spergs to allow them to use multiple keyboards in Windows so they can map every single button or toggle in an airplane to a key. It doesn't have to be used with flight sims though.

AutoHotKey is a program that allows you to program application specific macros and this program is extensive, you can make a macro that if space is pressed it clicks on a specific pixel on the screen in a specific window and then follow it up with any keyboard commands or more mouse clicks or whatever combination of things that you want. If it is a task that you often repeat or use much it can be made into a one button macro even if it requires navigating through a nestled menu.

LuaMacros and AutoHotKey combined makes it possible to have a pure macro keyboard or one of those small macro numpads if not as many keys are needed. Great for video editing and being a sperg I wanted to see how far I could push this. So I added a Steam controller where the circular touchpad acts as a ghetto jog wheel, trace your finger around it to go frame by frame with the haptic feedback sending a "plock" per frame, very nice, trace around it at a speed of ~2 revolutions per second and video plays in realtime. It could probably be configured for the color wheels as well now that I think about it, it's just a shame that it can only be configured in big picture mode.

Slav Power

Serious politics
kiwifarms.net
Orthodox File Managers are pretty useful for everyday use and whatnot. Personally I use cracked Total Commander, but there are also free and cross-platform options like Double Commander. After learning the keyboard shortcuts you can do a lot of tasks much faster. There are also more OG, command line versions, like Far Manager or Midnight Commander, but I just can't seem to get the hang of them, too used to TC.

AnOminous

So what?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Orthodox File Managers are pretty useful for everyday use and whatnot. Personally I use cracked Total Commander, but there are also free and cross-platform options like Double Commander. After learning the keyboard shortcuts you can do a lot of tasks much faster. There are also more OG, command line versions, like Far Manager or Midnight Commander, but I just can't seem to get the hang of them, too used to TC.
I used to really like the early versions of Norton Commander for DOS. Then it turned into Norton Desktop and got the horrible featuritis that turned all Norton products into crap some time after Windows 95. I also used to do a lot more work with lots of files where were they were was actually important and knowing where they were was.

Now I just throw them in a directory, fuck it, maybe I'll remember where they are later.

Reactions: feral cat #6385

Slav Power

Serious politics
kiwifarms.net
I used to really like the early versions of Norton Commander for DOS. Then it turned into Norton Desktop and got the horrible featuritis that turned all Norton products into crap some time after Windows 95. I also used to do a lot more work with lots of files where were they were was actually important and knowing where they were was.

Now I just throw them in a directory, fuck it, maybe I'll remember where they are later.
I also have a problem with having a metric fuckton of unorganised directories, and the way I manage to live with it is by using Everything. It basically creates an index of all the files on my drives and allows me to instantly search through it. Total Commander has an option to use it in it's internal search option, but IMO Everything's default search window is much easier and faster.

Reactions: AnOminous

Dr. Troon

eatin' on some ass
kiwifarms.net
Is Emby a decent Plex alternative? It seems to have GPU transcoding without that gay Plex Pass nonsense, so I'm considering using it. Are there any downsides?

Slav Power

Serious politics
kiwifarms.net
Is Emby a decent Plex alternative? It seems to have GPU transcoding without that gay Plex Pass nonsense, so I'm considering using it. Are there any downsides?
The downside is probably the fact that Emby went closed source and began implementing paid features, slowly becoming Plex 2.0. There is a fully open source alternative, which is a fork of Emby called Jellyfin. Although it's downside is that it barely has any client applications. It does have one for Windows, Linux and Android.

HTTP Error 404

kiwifarms.net
So ProtonVPN is our new love?

... Lets say I wanna download the occasional torrent. Which tier of ProtonVPN should I aim for? The Basic plan apparently supports Filesharing and No Logs (uh, apparently the free does log?) And the Plus allows you to "access blocked content"? Does that mean the plus doesn't block geolocating or whatnot?

Near

WELCOME TRUE BELIEVERS-
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Do you guys hate YouTube videos with sponsors in them like "THIS VIDEO IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY RAID SHADOW RELM"

There's an addon on chrome and firefox called Sponsorblock that skips those.

The program doesn't automatically know that there's a sponsor, it's all crowdsourced. One person clicks on a button on the addon saying where the sponsorship begins and ends;
It's great tbh
Honestly, this thing as of late just can't be plugged enough. The constant shilling got really bad now that YouTube doesn't want particular content on their platform

Google Chrome (Works with Brave as well)
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...outube/mnjggcdmjocbbbhaepdhchncahnbgone?hl=en

Firefox
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/sponsorblock/

Tags
None