Did you like the App?

• yes

• no

• Stop waisting our time

Results are only viewable after voting.

Blood Bath & Beyond

Russian Bot
kiwifarms.net
Not sure if it's already been mentioned or not but the Opera browser seems like it has some pretty decent security features. Comes with its own adblock and free VPN along with inbuilt cryptowallet support. Mind you, I wouldn't do anything crazy with their VPN because they probably still have all your info, but it would be really useful for people skirting around ISP and government web censorship. https://www.opera.com/

Also @Null, I'm not really sure how feasible this is, I know nothing about running a forum, but would it be possible to add a search function that allows you to search for keywords only within certain topics and not the entire website? Something like that would go a long way toward finding specific information and also seeing if someone else has already brought up a point previously. REEEEEEEE.

Last edited:
  • Autistic
Reactions: DanteAlighieri

Blood Bath & Beyond

Russian Bot
kiwifarms.net
I don't see it anywhere. The search bar searches everything and the "search forums" button as far as I can tell doesn't allow you to search every single thread and subtopic only the top ones. There is nowhere for me to search specifically this "software endorsements" thread for instance. REEEEEEE.

Last edited:

Tokoeka

Olympic gold medalist in mental gymnastics
kiwifarms.net
Not sure if it's already been mentioned or not but the Opera browser seems like it has some pretty decent security features. Comes with its own adblock and free VPN along with inbuilt cryptowallet support. Mind you, I wouldn't do anything crazy with their VPN because they probably still have all your info, but it would be really useful for people skirting around ISP and government web censorship. https://www.opera.com/
Opera is not a very good choice of browser security and privacy wise. It is not open-source (except for the parts they didn't make themselves) so you just have to trust them, which is unfortunate since they are Chinese owned. If you want a free VPN for quick ban-evading you should just use tor (which admittedly doesn't always work.)

As far as i know the best option if you're on windows is still user.js enhanced Firefox(GHacks user.js), although the thread-favorite seems to be Brave.

This wonderfully autistic site compares browsers, however, it doesn't seem to have been updated in a while.

Blood Bath & Beyond

Russian Bot
kiwifarms.net
I generally use Tor when I feel like privacy might be a concern, but still feel like Opera might be a good option for people aren't Chinese and have a gov or ISP that blocks websites they want to see. Tor I would probably recommend most if someone is actually concerned about privacy, but if someone just wants to regularly get around geographical or ISP blocks, I don't see much of a problem with Opera. Tor isn't really a VPN either and it can be notoriously slow by comparison.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Opera is not a very good choice of browser security and privacy wise. It is not open-source (except for the parts they didn't make themselves) so you just have to trust them, which is unfortunate since they are Chinese owned. If you want a free VPN for quick ban-evading you should just use tor (which admittedly doesn't always work.)
Tor isn't a VPN. A VPN operates at the network layer and handles all network traffic by default. Tor is a protocol and only covers TCP. While tor is theoretically more secure for what it does, unless you limit your network activity very carefully, it's very easy to screw it up. (Something like the Tor Browser sort of acts as training wheels to keep you from making mistakes by disabling most of the ways of fucking up your privacy by default.)

Stasi

kiwifarms.net
NewPipe appears to be shitting the bed and isnt working for me even after latest update.

Any good alternatives for watching YouTube videos on android?

a_lurker

kiwifarms.net
Opera was decent 10-15 years ago maybe, I used it myself for a bit. But now, no way in hell. It isn't spooky enough that they got bought up by China, but there's also accusations of predatory/illegal lending.

Winnie the Pooh's honey pot can fuck right off.

@Stasi, it's convoluted, but I use termux to install YouTube-dl to download the videos and vlc to play them.

• Informative
Reactions: Stasi

Give Her The D

You have been BAMBOOZLED
kiwifarms.net
Anyone got a good mobile video player for anime files I torrented? I had been using mpv but I wonder if there's anything better than that.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Anyone got a good mobile video player for anime files I torrented? I had been using mpv but I wonder if there's anything better than that.
I see absolutely nothing wrong with mpv other than some awkwardness. It is my personal gold standard. Maybe someone can recommend some specific frontend for it to make it less awkward to use, but maybe you should specify a platform.

• Agree
Reactions: Vecr

Give Her The D

You have been BAMBOOZLED
kiwifarms.net
I see absolutely nothing wrong with mpv other than some awkwardness. It is my personal gold standard. Maybe someone can recommend some specific frontend for it to make it less awkward to use, but maybe you should specify a platform.
Android 9.

Tags
None