Did you like the App?

• yes

• no

• Stop waisting our time

Results are only viewable after voting.

Give Her The D

You have been BAMBOOZLED
kiwifarms.net
Anyone got a good mobile video player for anime files I torrented? I had been using mpv but I wonder if there's anything better than that.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Anyone got a good mobile video player for anime files I torrented? I had been using mpv but I wonder if there's anything better than that.
I see absolutely nothing wrong with mpv other than some awkwardness. It is my personal gold standard. Maybe someone can recommend some specific frontend for it to make it less awkward to use, but maybe you should specify a platform.

• Agree
Reactions: Vecr

Give Her The D

You have been BAMBOOZLED
kiwifarms.net
I see absolutely nothing wrong with mpv other than some awkwardness. It is my personal gold standard. Maybe someone can recommend some specific frontend for it to make it less awkward to use, but maybe you should specify a platform.
Android 9.

SIGSEGV

Segmentation fault (core dumped)
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
AdNauseam only blocks ads cosmetically, making it complete and utter garbage if you give even a single shit about your privacy. You're still connecting to the advertising and tracking domains. Nice job handing them your IP and browser fingerprint, exceptional individuals.

Krimjob

Resident God-Emperor
kiwifarms.net
So what antivirus do you guys recommend? I know quite a few people say you can just do well with the Windows 10 built-in one, but it feels a tad unsafe to me?

I used AVG up until today. Ever since they got bought by Avast they've been absolute shit, constantly shilling other software, blocking my VPNs (even giving bad support only to shill their own VPN) and constantly bothering me with popups and such. Time to change to something better.

Any endorsements here?

Vecr

"nanoposts with 90° spatial rotational symmetries"
kiwifarms.net
So what antivirus do you guys recommend? I know quite a few people say you can just do well with the Windows 10 built-in one, but it feels a tad unsafe to me?

I used AVG up until today. Ever since they got bought by Avast they've been absolute shit, constantly shilling other software, blocking my VPNs (even giving bad support only to shill their own VPN) and constantly bothering me with popups and such. Time to change to something better.

Any endorsements here?
Really, just use the Windows 10 one.

As long as you keep your software up-to-date and don't download random stuff, you should be fine.

mugsy

kiwifarms.net

Any endorsements here?
None. AV is a scam for gullible old people. I haven't used any for a decade, and I'm running the same pirated Win7 Ultimate ed. that my friend in Serbia gave me off of a USB. Just be careful about your downloading and don't click the big green DOWNLOAD icons on torrent sites. All you really need is Wireshark to inspect your packet flow if you are worried about vulnerabilities/intrusions.

Bender

I bend the truth.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
None. AV is a scam for gullible old people. I haven't used any for a decade, and I'm running the same pirated Win7 Ultimate ed. that my friend in Serbia gave me off of a USB. Just be careful about your downloading and don't click the big green DOWNLOAD icons on torrent sites. All you really need is Wireshark to inspect your packet flow if you are worried about vulnerabilities/intrusions.
uBlock with the Malicious Domains list will also help deter users from downloading nasty shit, it's one of the main reasons I recommend it to family, I got fed up of deleting 80 browser toolbars from their PCs.

@Krimjob Win10 Defender does a fine job, just be smart about what you're downloading. Enable file extensions so you can tell if that 1080p film you downloaded is a 34kb EXE file, in which case you should probably cut/paste it to a USB stick, make an autorun file that points at that file and leave it on a dickhead neighbour's doorstep.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
None. AV is a scam for gullible old people.
It's something old people need because they are dumb and their grandkids are dumb too and it means people like me spend somewhat less time deleting all their viruses, adware, and browser hijacks every few months.

Slav Power

Tag jes.
kiwifarms.net
Win10 Defender does a fine job, just be smart about what you're downloading. Enable file extensions so you can tell if that 1080p film you downloaded is a 34kb EXE file, in which case you should probably cut/paste it to a USB stick, make an autorun file that points at that file and leave it on a dickhead neighbour's doorstep.
Assuming that the dickhead neighbor still runs an ancient version of Windows where autorunning any kind of .EXE file was possible. I believe they've nerfed the autorun.inf hard starting with Windows XP SP3.

Speaking of old people and computers, a good idea is to make sure that they use it with a standard account, so that most of the viruses get stopped by UAC, since I'm sure there are ones that will bypass it anyway. Of course Windows Defender is a good choice, since it's built in to the system and does a good job. You can also add Nano Adblocker and Nano Defender to the browser, with additional blocking lists for blocking ads, scams, viruses and others. Why those? Basically, Nano Adblocker is uBlock Origin on steroids, and it integrates better with Nano Defender, which blocks anti-adblockers.

I might as well recommend some other software.

SpeedCrunch is a good calculator alternative, as it's based around the keyboard, and not around some silly calculator GUI, which allows for quicker calculations. Also it has plenty of advanced features, for doing more complicated calculations.

NirSoft has plenty of small useful programs, for all kinds of tasks. Plenty of network tools, as well as tools for license key recoveries, password recoveries, system tweaking and more. NirLauncher allows for downloading and accessing all of them in one place.

Sysinternals is a great set of sysadmin tools from Microsoft, which also includes Process Explorer, which is a Process Manager on serious 'roids. It also has tools for managing autorun, monitoring programs or causing blue screens, because reasons. It can also be added to NirLauncher.

Soulseek is one of those P2P programs from the Napster era, with one major difference. It didn't died out and it's still active, offering a large library of user shared files, mainly music, including very rare releases that you wouldn't be able to find anywhere else.

JDownloader 2 is a very useful download manager, which looks like it will turn your computer into something from the Exorcist, but it won't, as long as you download it from the right source (linked here). It's great for downloading from those sketchy sites with fake download buttons, waiting times and captchas, as it will automatically process the links, and will (partly) automatically solve the captchas for you. Also good for downloading YouTube videos, large files and doing batch downloading. Dark theme is available here, although it requires a reinstall every update, and also disabling everything in advanced setting in results for "Premium Alert", "Special Deal", "Donate" and "Banner" is highly recommended for ad removal.

WinAero Tweaker is a very useful utility for tweaking Windows. It's one of my mandatory programs for every fresh Windows install, as vanilla Windows is garbage and always needs some tweaking and personalization.

The Crow

Righteous Crow
kiwifarms.net
Not sure if this has already been asked/answered already, but does anyone know any good sites to use to bypass phone verification requirements in order to use accounts on certain websites? I will absolutely never give any website my phone number from now on! After all, I do have to protect my privacy online during these times.

can-i-bypass-this.png

Last edited:

Bender

I bend the truth.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Not sure if this has already been asked/answered already, but does anyone know any good sites to use to bypass phone verification requirements in order to use accounts on certain websites? I will absolutely never give any website my phone number from now on! After all, I do have to protect my privacy online during these times.

Just get a free pay-as-you-go SIM and use that phone number with any old phone you have lying around, or just switch SIMs when you're waiting for a verification code..

• Informative
Reactions: moocow and The Crow
Tags
None