Did you like the App?

• yes

• no

• Stop waisting our time

Results are only viewable after voting.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
dont know. does youtube dlg work? has somebody an idea?
Like poster above said, use OBS. There's a portable version that doesn't require installation and it can be set to only record a certain window. It's super-easy to get going, source: me. I've successfully used it twice without having any prior knowledge of the program by following the popups/tooltips.

Spastic Colon

Awww - yeah - tism
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The affiliate link to Proton VPN isn't working. Decided to finally upgrade from the free version and I'd like Null to get the shekels from it, but it gives me an error message that the page does not exist. Before I sign up, just thought I'd double check that there isn't a new link I should know about it.

DanteAlighieri

I hate commies
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The affiliate link to Proton VPN isn't working. Decided to finally upgrade from the free version and I'd like Null to get the shekels from it, but it gives me an error message that the page does not exist. Before I sign up, just thought I'd double check that there isn't a new link I should know about it.
Might be something to message him about. Or @Null him? Idk.

Null

Ooperator
kiwifarms.net
Oh they kicked me off like a year ago

HTTP Error 404

kiwifarms.net
Dumb question. If you do get a VPN, do you leave it on 24x7 on your main machine across all connections?

A coworker uses a VM with a torrent client inside so he can just permafilter the VPN through it, but he hits up Hollywood flicks. Seems overkill.

I'm active online quite a bit including Weebshit Torrents, Discord VOIP, Steam downloads... Would I pump all that shit through a VPN, or just the browser / torrent client?

DanteAlighieri

I hate commies
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Dumb question. If you do get a VPN, do you leave it on 24x7 on your main machine across all connections?

A coworker uses a VM with a torrent client inside so he can just permafilter the VPN through it, but he hits up Hollywood flicks. Seems overkill.

I'm active online quite a bit including Weebshit Torrents, Discord VOIP, Steam downloads... Would I pump all that shit through a VPN, or just the browser / torrent client?
I think it's just personal preference. I'm under no illusions that a VPN is gonna stop the feds, but it sure as hell stops the MPAA/RIAA, so I route my torrent client through it. Anything else is situational for when I turn it on, like changing routes for testing, checking Netflix in other countries, or encrypting traffic through phone data and public internet connections.

kiwifarms.net
Ad Coinbase, idk if someone mentioned this (search doesn't show anything, I'm not paid enough to read through the whole thread) but it's not only for Americans, I'm a Europoor and have some cash in Coinbase based in London. I only know this because they were sending panic e-mails around Brexit's every deadline. I didn't have to give them an ID either, but then again, I'm not really using it for payments, just buying low and selling high or however it's called.

Otherwise agreed, I don't trust them either.

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net

Using it in a VM is a good idea, google services(gmail etc) and other things will probably freak out if you're logging in from unfamiliar IPs or known VPN nodes. A linux VM with 2GB ram will be fine for torrenting and visiting torrent sites in a VM isn't a bad idea either. You can also set it up so the torrents are being downloaded directly into a folder on the host.

Reactions: 3119967d0c

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Does anybody use the Firefox extension for archive.md that's linked from their main page?
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/archive-page/

Seems to be made by some random boomer and has only 470 users. Anyone have any idea if it's secure? It doesn't seem to be open-source - or at least I'm not immediately finding the source.
I just use the bookmarklet.

Code:
javascript:void(open('http://archive.md/?run=1&url='+encodeURIComponent(document.location)))

3119967d0c

a... brain - @StarkRavingMad
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

No reason not to. The VM for the torrents isn't a bad idea.

After all, if you always connect to the same VPN server, never disconnect and reconnect, you are establishing a pattern of behavior of sorts.

Even if your VPN provider is totally responsible with your private data, if the NSA is surveilling your posts on 4chan /k/ calling for the tree of liberty to be watered and also sucking in all of Google's data (which could include things like the IP addresses that your computer uses to connect to Google Drive if you have that on silently in the background), they may be able to establish a pattern of behaviour where there is a correlation between logins to your firstname.lastname@gmail.com and posts on /k/ coming from the same IP address in the same time periods.

So, the more you can segregate between traffic linked to your identity that could harm you if revealed, and traffic that should be anonymous, the better. Fortunately Josh makes that easy on KF as you can just use Tor for access and avoid the problem.

Reactions: Vecr

DanteAlighieri

I hate commies
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Keybase got bought by zoom, supposedly it's a move to help zoom with their security issues.

Considering the fact that shit rolls down hill, keybase can no longer be trusted.

Back to pgp/gpg.

Maybe someone has rigged up pgp/gpg plugin for pidgin?

-edit #2- yep there's already one.
Well link it.

https://keys.pub/ found this that seems to have similar functionality as Keybase, played around with it and it's pretty good looking.

Reactions: twozero

3119967d0c

a... brain - @StarkRavingMad
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've settled on signal,
Let me get this straight. You trust Facebook/the NSA over Zoom? Leaving aside the fact that Zoom is a US based company, do you actually do anything the Chinks might care about? Are you worried about Chairman Xi doxing you for posting 'just the flu bro' memes?

On a more serious note, been using a variety of web extensions for increasing the speed of HTML5 video. 'Video Speed Controller' works nicely. Even where speed controls are available, they're usually limited- this lets you take YouTube video up from 2x speed to 2.5x or beyond.

a_lurker

kiwifarms.net
Let me get this straight. You trust Facebook/the NSA over Zoom? Leaving aside the fact that Zoom is a US based company, do you actually do anything the Chinks might care about? Are you worried about Chairman Xi doxing you for posting 'just the flu bro' memes?
Facebook?

Yeah, I doubt Facebook's implementation of signals protocol hasn't been "optimized" for their business model and had some sort of backdoor bolted on.

But no it's more or a just in case I ever need this in the event things go even stupider in the world.

I know there's no hope of 100% privacy or security, but I'm hoping I'm at least able to slightly inconvenience any alphabet boys if for some reason I become of interest.

Chinks are out for anything they can get. Dunno if it's bots or people but shit originating from Chinese IP Addresses port scan and poke at anything they find open, pretty much constantly.

Last edited:

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
Don't forget that the chinks are the most passive aggressive and petty regime in the world. They got a guy who worked in the US fired for liking a tweet from a pro-Tibet group/account.

Tags
None