Songs that make you want to learn a foreign language. - Swear I'm not a weeb.

Marco Fucko

Read Terra Formars 😁
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Rammstein, as well as fan covers of various English language songs have had me interested in German for a while. Don't know if I'll ever pull the trigger.

Reactions: オウム 2

Oskar Dirlewanger

i am the black niggers
kiwifarms.net

Posted this already in the narco wars thread, spanish is cool as fuck, sounds good, can watch football with original commentators, latina girls are hot, can order good food in native, and it's the last remaining cool language I haven't learned yet.

DzcztqKXgAApwit.png large.png

Pocket Dragoon

For one-tenth a soul, or a sexual favor.
kiwifarms.net
Rammstein has one of the best songs to stay practiced with, in general. Even if you don't understand it at first, being able to speak without sounding like a mealymouthed tourist NPC helps immensely later.

Ohne Dich - Rammstein

Then there are classics, like Erika and Wir Sind des Geyers Schwarzer Haufen

But German being what it is, there's the somewhat masochistic......
Von Hier Am Blind - Wir Sind Helden

Or drunkenly sadistic.
Eisgekühlter Bommerlunder

I think it depends on the person! For me German is easier to memorize for French. It honestly depends. Considering the "opera canon" you really just need to know diction for French, German and Italian. Not a lot of operas are in English unless they're Baroque or 20th century.
I think German was used a lot because it's more distinct in a concert/open setting, and carries further. I've heard French operas (along with other music) from a distance, and it all kinda runs together.

I know a lot of German songs, having no idea what many of them mean, but it's a great for developing and maintaining a command voice... along with being a gateway drug to speaking a lot of other languages intelligibly.

Last edited by a moderator:

_blank_

The Charles Dickens of Disco
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Rammstein makes me want to learn German.

Santana makes me want to learn (better) Spanish.

Susumu Hirasawa make me want to learn Japanese.

Blue Oyster Cult makes me want to learn the language of the Old Gods.

Electric Six makes me want to learn the language of love.

And I want to learn whatever language Frank Zappa's guitar used to speak in.

Kelpy Goyim

kiwifarms.net
Long live Mother Russia!

Seriously though, I would love to learn Russian, but it looks like a bitch to learn.
It does but it's also split into masculine/feminine kind of like Spanish, or so I've been told. Idk of that helps or not, but it could help to simplify things in your mind.

Rammstein has one of the best songs to stay practiced with, in general. Even if you don't understand it at first, being able to speak without sounding like a mealymouthed tourist NPC helps immensely later.

Ohne Dich - Rammstein

Then there are classics, like Erika and Wir Sind des Geyers Schwarzer Haufen

But German being what it is, there's the somewhat masochistic......
Von Hier Am Blind - Wir Sind Helden

Or drunkenly sadistic.
Eisgekühlter Bommerlunder
Tool did a "song" in German that sounds like a Hitleresque speech, but it was just a receipe for pancakes 😂

will have to look into translation because im completely oblivious to this. :thinking:
Hmm, I like it

Japanese so I can go there and buy vidya and not get ripped off.
If they weren't so cucked I'd like to learn Australian English, funny slang
Men at Work you cunt lul

• Informative

オウム 2

Aum
kiwifarms.net
Still learning Japanese which despite the straight forward grammar it's just so different from English which is what makes it a bitch to learn. Mongolian sounds bad ass and I like The Hu and also this song that was popular a few years ago:

but I don't need to learn another language that only has a tiny percentage of speakers. Probably learn Farsi -

or Russian
if I learn another language.

• Agree
Reactions: Kelpy Goyim

Kelpy Goyim

kiwifarms.net
Still learning Japanese which despite the straight forward grammar it's just so different from English which is what makes it a bitch to learn. Mongolian sounds bad ass and I like The Hu and also this song that was popular a few years ago:

but I don't need to learn another language that only has a tiny percentage of speakers. Probably learn Farsi -

or Russian
if I learn another language.
Mongorians, dahm monghorihans

Dschinghis Khan makes me want to learn German

Gay but ok

• Feels

オウム 2

Aum
kiwifarms.net
Rammstein, as well as fan covers of various English language songs have had me interested in German for a while. Don't know if I'll ever pull the trigger.
Took German in high school, seemed easy then as a native English speaker but then apparently the grammar gets really complex, still love Rammstein though, and understand a lot of the lyrics. I think everyone should study a foreign language, not necessarily to get fluent but it's just great exercise for your brain and if Alzheimer's runs in your family like mine it's probably one of the best ways to keep your brain working.

Princess Peaches

We work for 40 years and then we die.
kiwifarms.net
I think German was used a lot because it's more distinct in a concert/open setting, and carries further. I've heard French operas (along with other music) from a distance, and it all kinda runs together.

I know a lot of German songs, having no idea what many of them mean, but it's a great for developing and maintaining a command voice... along with being a gateway drug to speaking a lot of other languages intelligibly.
A lot of art song or leider was written during the Romantic era. Song cycles became a popular form of parlor entertainment during this time. Your friends would come over and if you could compose or afford to buy music you'd sing through these sets to pass the time, get drunk, etc. Germans adopted Opera as a primary form of entertainment during the Classical and Romantic eras for this reason. Popular folklore would get adapted into these operas which also had speaking parts. This is singspiel, with is basically a lot like a musical.

TLDR: Classical music was very popular in Germany and that's why you can find a lot of literature sung in German.

Positron

Bovid-19. Codename: White Yak
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

I did follow the Gaelic course of The Irish Times for a while.

My mother is/was a professionally trained singer who could kick you in the balls with Ave Maria on a bad day, but she always said German was the hardest to memorize.
The joke among opera singers is that Italian is impossible to fuck up: just sound the correct vowels and people will let you pass (and that's how we lauded such mushy-mouthed singers as Joan Sutherland to the skies). French is a bit trickier as you have to mind the consonants at least once in a while. For German, God, every consonant counts.

TLDR: Classical music was very popular in Germany and that's why you can find a lot of literature sung in German.
Another reason is that France did not have so many eminent poets as the Germans had until well into the 19th century.

Last edited:
Tags
None