Sonic Movie Teaser/Trailer - It looks like how you would imagine it to look like

SteelPlatedHeart

Politics are fucking dumb
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You know, between Sonic, Jim Carrey’s performance, the “comes to the real world” plot, and Gangsta’s Paradise...this seems less like they were making a Sonic movie and more like they were trying to make a 90’s movie. As in a movie about the 90’s. Maybe they were trying to go for a nostalgia factor or something.

Which might have worked had Sonic not looked...like that.

Snake of Diamond

Hiss...whatever
kiwifarms.net
You know, between Sonic, Jim Carrey’s performance, the “comes to the real world” plot, and Gangsta’s Paradise...this seems less like they were making a Sonic movie and more like they were trying to make a 90’s movie. As in a movie about the 90’s. Maybe they were trying to go for a nostalgia factor or something.

Which might have worked had Sonic not looked...like that.
It's trying so freaking hard to be a nostalgic movie because it knows its audience. The schmucks like me who grew up playing the fucking thing and the annoying "9o'S BaBy" people who live vicariously through a decade long past them where they didn't have to deal with real life and sat around playing Nintendo all day eating Luck Charms. In theory I agree it can work as Sonic is a 90s property but I seriously didn't get the direction of the design before they wanted to change it. I'll restate you don't need the internet to tell you something doesn't look right and human proportioned Sonic with human like teeth and a big mouth is something someone would make in a meme horror game that is shitty and the creator knows its shitty so they don't take it seriously. This is a million dollar picture I can't figure out why it was even conceived as a good idea to make him look like that.

Wannock

One Knock Life™
kiwifarms.net
Megadrive version of "Gangsta's Paradise". Twice the nostalgia, still a weird choice of music for a Sonic movie.

Reactions: NARPASSWORD

Kari Kamiya

Dopey Mew
kiwifarms.net
So I think this is worth pointing out; it's from The Verge, but there's a reason Sonic and Detective Pikachu are being compared and contrasted so much.

“There’s no right or wrong to how you make one of these movies,” Letterman says. “It would be very difficult for us to redesign anything. We spent a year designing all the characters ahead of shooting so that we could get it all right. If we were off by an inch on Pikachu, [actor] Justice Smith’s performance would go right out the window. For us, it would have been impossible — but that doesn’t mean they can’t do it. I wouldn’t want to be in their shoes — they’re in a difficult spot.”

---

Letterman credits much of their design decisions to spending two years studying different animal designs and collaborating with the Pokémon Company design team in Japan to ensure everything worked.

“We studied a lot of animals and how they behave and how they interact to ensure we got it right,” Letterman says. “Bulldogs, in particular, for Bulbasaur and how they act in packs or how they get you to pay attention. There’s an extraordinary amount of craft that went into making the movie on the animation side as we tried to bring everything to life.”
We have on record that Sega wasn't thrilled with the design, but apparently they weren't involved with the film very much--big mistake. Hell, who even knows if anyone on the team consulted with them prior to making the design. But they really should've studied animal physiology before making Sonic. Doesn't matter that he's an anthropomorphic hedgehog that's the size of a schoolkid. Zootopia has similar characters, and yet despite being cartoony, you can tell the animators studied animal behavior and anatomy so they wouldn't look too uncanny. There's no reason Sonic couldn't have been designed the same way.

They brought this upon themselves, and I don't see Paramount allowing this. They might as well just own up to it, play along with the memes, and try again for a sequel (it'll probably make enough to warrant one), since that's what the Michael Bay Turtles team did.

Xerxes IX

Remove Kebab is a meme of peace
kiwifarms.net
It's like I said the design is way too specific to work with a different style. The reason why his 3D design in the games works is because it's heavily stylized and cartoony trying to make it look real is a really bad idea.
Elise kissing Sonic in Sonic 06 was a shitshow not only for the obvious reasons, you could also see how their designs didn't mesh at all. Sonic has huge heads, huge hands, thin limbs, and eyeball(s?) the size of Elise's head. Meanwhile Elise's design is the Squeenix style realistic anime. Their designs share nothing in common and don't look like they should be in the same universe together, let alone kissing.

Snake of Diamond

Hiss...whatever
kiwifarms.net
Elise kissing Sonic in Sonic 06 was a shitshow not only for the obvious reasons, you could also see how their designs didn't mesh at all. Sonic has huge heads, huge hands, thin limbs, and eyeball(s?) the size of Elise's head. Meanwhile Elise's design is the Squeenix style realistic anime. Their designs share nothing in common and don't look like they should be in the same universe together, let alone kissing.
The strangest thing is that the only time they actually make humans mesh with the Sonic characters is Unleashed but it is the one and only example unless you wanna count that Anime Sonic X which everything is done in the same generic anime visual style. Humans styled to be cartoony in Sonic Unleashed didn't make them stand out compared to the ultra realistic Sonic 06 styled which if I'm to add looks really dumb considering they have a realistically modeled dog in the game that the extremely stylized cartoony Sonic characters can stand next to.

SteelPlatedHeart

Politics are fucking dumb
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If I’m going to be completely and utterly honest...the second pic doesn’t look that bad. I feel dirty saying so, but there it is.

• Feels
Reactions: Medafag

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
So I just got back from Detective Pikachu and Paramount actually did in fact have it attached as one of the trailers. Let me tell you that seeing his horribly realistic face in 20 foot dimensions is much worse than just on a computer screen and honestly, I don't know how they expect people to sit through that for two hours. I wouldn't call attaching it to a movie with actual top of the line graphics and non-creepy designs to be a brilliant move either.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino