Sonic Movie Thread - From a Disastrous Teaser/Trailer to Not That Bad a Movie

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Leaving this here that I'm seeing the movie in a bit. I'm sure I'm like 20 pages behind on this because wow this thread took off when it was released.

EDIT: Well then, while I still process this movie...

You know... this movie should've been a disaster. Literally, Sonic the Hedgehog just isn't something that should've ever worked as a live-action Hollywood movie. Animated, sure, it can work because suspension of disbelief is easier to do than seeing a CGI character walking around in the real world. The beginning was actually rather uncanny because everything is CGI before Sonic was tossed out into the real world.

But after watching it all take place, knowing that the character model looked so much different before... I like this Sonic. I think he was very in-character, Ben Schwartz was good as Sonic, I like him and his blabber mouth, I like how he was animated. All of the bullet time scenes were pretty cool to watch, I wonder how it looks in 3D. Tom I think was fine, he was able to bounce off of Sonic and so even if he and his wife have a kid, as a joke/shout-out he could be named Chris, but he won't be Chris Thorndyke, not by a long shot, thank God. Jim Carrey is literally insane, and that's why he worked as Robotnik. In-universe, I'm actually glad that even the freaking government thinks he's too kooky and self-absorbed to be with, and his insults constantly flying over characters' heads while still getting under their skin (Tom was able to counter him) got more and more feverish the more he was driven more crazy by Sonic and Tom. I wasn't paying attention to the music until the end when the piano version of Green Hill Zone played, that was fun, so other than that, I don't remember the soundtrack. I'll have to go back to listen to it again.

So yeah... it was fun. Think more could've been done with it in terms of a road-trip buddy movie, but it was fun. I was able to pick out some Easter eggs, but if there were more, I didn't see them. My brothers seem to have liked it a lot, and my grandparents apparently enjoyed it. It's a weird experience, but I didn't feel embarrassed for it at all. It's funny how the only bad thing I can think of is that the model could've made things so much worse. Even though the Reddit leak was more-or-less correct, it played out better than it claimed, and the only thing we'd still complain about was the horrendous character model.

I lost my shit at the Sanic drawing, though. Also, Tails at the end was a fun surprise even though my brother spoiled it since they saw it opening weekend lol. That actually is a fridge horror as well: What do you think Tails originally looked like before they changed Sonic's model?

It's still surreal to know that Sonic has been doing well at the box office. "The number one movie in the world" I never would've foreseen being put in front of a Sonic trailer.

Last edited:

Kari Kamiya

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Snooping as usual, I see.
Fuck, I was just talking to my brothers about "Imagine Scratch and Grounder in live-action." I also said that the mainstream audience is totally not ready for the Chao, the Werehog (one brother said it might work best in live-action), and Rouge the Bat.

Man, the sequel's gonna be something.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Fuck, I was just talking to my brothers about "Imagine Scratch and Grounder in live-action." I also said that the mainstream audience is totally not ready for the Chao, the Werehog (one brother said it might work best in live-action), and Rouge the Bat.

Man, the sequel's gonna be something.
One of the military guys at the table was Grounder’s VA.

Kari Kamiya

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
One of the military guys at the table was Grounder’s VA.
What the fuck you being serious??? Holy shit!

Oh yeah, almost forgot to mention this in my post. I actually like how we get bits and pieces of Robotnik's backstory through his dialogue when he's snipping at the other characters. They didn't have to, but it was a nice touch, gives us a peek into the mind of madness and why it is he's such a captivating villain despite being a huge fucking prick.

I don't think so either because there's one point in the movie that makes slightly more sense if you remember Sonic's original design didn't have gloves.

There's a scene where Sonic gets a bomb stuck to his hand and no matter what he does he can't get it off. The group I was with wondered why Sonic didn't just take the glove off his hand to get rid of the bomb. I pointed out that the scene was probably made with the concept that Sonic wasn't wearing gloves and thus couldn't just take the bomb off.
Maybe he's ashamed of what his actual hand looks like and couldn't even show it off to his buddy. Or his gloves are filled with Vaseline.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What the fuck you being serious??? Holy shit!

Kari Kamiya

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There was something in the movie about hipsters. That was clearly a secret code to activate the white patriarchy sleeper agents.
I thought that was a funny jab at hipster culture. There was surprisingly a lot of jabs toward urban elitism in this film, such as Robotnik and the "San Francisco is full of morons!" cake. Guess that's why it's gotten SJWs mad, it's calling their way of life terrible.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I thought that was a funny jab at hipster culture. There was surprisingly a lot of jabs toward urban elitism in this film, such as Robotnik and the "San Francisco is full of morons!" cake. Guess that's why it's gotten SJWs mad, it's calling their way of life terrible.
It’s part of why Moviebob has been so furious about the movie.

Big Nasty

ASSHOLE
kiwifarms.net
I saw it today together with Nasty Kiddo. I liked it. The bar fight scene is something that I too would have laughed my ass off at when I was a kid.

Meat Poultry Veg

The staff of life
kiwifarms.net
Some of my thoughts are the same as some of yours so pardon me if there's overlap in my points versus previously made ones. Here goes:
  1. Really surprised that this video game movie didn't suck shit, like VG movies tend to. And surprisingly it manages to be good while making major departures from the source material (AFAIK; for me the Sonic series ended at the Genesis era, I only saw the cartoon with Uncle Phil as Robotnik and didn't follow the comics). By comparison, Max Payne followed its source material reasonably well (for a VG movie) but was a boring, pretentious "standard" cop drama.
  2. I more or less agree with Th3Birdman regarding how funny this movie is. What I'll add is that this is also an object lesson that the "straight man" in a comedy duo can also be funny as hell. James Marsden played that role in TWO duos (vs. Sonic and vs. Robotnik) and that agent Stone guy did well too.
  3. I found it mildly enjoyable despite the plot. And now for spoilers--
I really didn't like the fact that LITERALLY everything bad that happens in the movie is Sonic's fault. From getting his mentor killed (?) to causing a major cataclysm in the Western USA and putting everyone he loves in danger (twice in his life)! Other than being a personally being a jerk (and that incident with the bully) Robotnik did nothing wrong. Sonic is a menace! I hope in the sequel Sonic will have a redemption arc.[/spoilers]

Rakdos92

kiwifarms.net
I really didn't like the fact that LITERALLY everything bad that happens in the movie is Sonic's fault. From getting his mentor killed (?) to causing a major cataclysm in the Western USA and putting everyone he loves in danger (twice in his life)! Other than being a personally being a jerk (and that incident with the bully) Robotnik did nothing wrong. Sonic is a menace! I hope in the sequel Sonic will have a redemption arc.[/spoilers]
He's a teenager, and even he wasn't aware he could cause such a thing. It was an accident. The death of his first foster parent too.

Tags
None