Sonic Movie Thread - From a Disastrous Teaser/Trailer to Not That Bad a Movie

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
To be fair to Pikachu, it was released during a busy movie month. Sonic hasn’t had as much competition in February.
It's actually surprising to hear of a February movie doing well. Last February movie I remember being successful was the first LEGO Movie, which also did really well the first 20 days. It swiftly dropped afterwards.
Screen shot 2020-03-08 at 6.06.02 PM.png

Sexual Chocolate

kiwifarms.net
I watched this movie with my young son and he had a blast. He loved the trucks, the robots, the part with the dog, and all the times Sonic gotta go fast.

Sonic is pitched perfectly at little kids - he's a hyperactive little bundle of cartoonish fun, played completely straight with a childlike sense of innocence. I liked all the little references for adults who remember playing Sonic on the Genesis. That was pretty thoughtful.

It was great to see Jim Carrey give the kind of performance that made him a star back in the 90's.

A++, would torrent again

Terrorist

Osama bin Ladkin
kiwifarms.net
Lol, calm down.

Seriously, if you don't like a movie...then just don't watch it. Simple as that.
I agree, and I have no opinion on the movie itself. Won't see it, don't care.
But don't think you're fighting some brave culture war against the feminists by seeing it. I've heard people saying that and it's the most pathetic virtue signaling I've ever seen.

Syaoran Li

Beware The Walkin' Dude
kiwifarms.net
But don't think you're fighting some brave culture war against the feminists by seeing it. I've heard people saying that and it's the most pathetic virtue signaling I've ever seen.
I understand you there, it is just a movie and a goofy children's comedy at that. It's not a political or cultural statement about anything.

I'll admit, I am glad that Paramount listening to the fans actually paid off for them, but it's really just basic common sense to not actively insult your customers if you want to make money.

The only thing in all this that might anger Woke Twitter feminist types is the fact that Birds of Prey flopped at the box office, which likely would've happened without Sonic being a success, and the kind of SJW's who would seethe over something like that are the kind that don't have much influence on anything to begin with.

Tellingly, the ones most angry over Sonic succeeding and Birds of Prey failing are the bearded egg simp types like Dobson and Movie Bob, the latter of whom has yet to get over the 16-bit console wars nonsene of his childhood.

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
Realistically, the number of people seeing it specifically to spite SJW’s is in a tiny, tiny minority. But all they’re really doing is voicing the unconscious “will” of the masses, which is that everyone is unhappy with the direction Hollywood is going in and showing it with their wallets.

Sonic is a fairly by-the-numbers kids movie that successfully executes on everything it tries to do, but doesn’t aim any higher than it needs to. It’s the very definition of a baseline “completely adequate” movie, and the fact that it’s making this much money and getting this much praise heaped on it is more indicative of the state of Hollywood than the mindsets of the fans. In a healthy industry, the only notable thing about Sonic would be the fact that it’s a successful video game movie.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Realistically, the number of people seeing it specifically to spite SJW’s is in a tiny, tiny minority. But all they’re really doing is voicing the unconscious “will” of the masses, which is that everyone is unhappy with the direction Hollywood is going in and showing it with their wallets.

Sonic is a fairly by-the-numbers kids movie that successfully executes on everything it tries to do, but doesn’t aim any higher than it needs to. It’s the very definition of a baseline “completely adequate” movie, and the fact that it’s making this much money and getting this much praise heaped on it is more indicative of the state of Hollywood than the mindsets of the fans. In a healthy industry, the only notable thing about Sonic would be the fact that it’s a successful video game movie.
That and the fact that they were willing to delay the movie and fix the design gained the movie a lot of goodwill.

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
Illumination is making the Mario movie, so I'm not feeling very optimistic about it being good.
I hope that at least the animation is good. Almost if not every Illumination character has a 2D mouth stuck to a 3D face and it looks so wrong.

Also Nintendo had zero choice in the animation studio. Making an animated movie was part of the deal with Universal to build Nintendo World, and Illumination is their current in-house studio, unfortunately.

Jewelsmakerguy

Domo Arigato
kiwifarms.net
I hope that at least the animation is good. Almost if not every Illumination character has a 2D mouth stuck to a 3D face and it looks so wrong.
If anything, I'd argue this is up Illumination's alley, the Mario enemies are pretty much made for their brand of model reuse seen in their other movies. I'm just hoping that dumb "soap Opera" blur filter that shows up in some of their recent films (think Sing when the auditorium floods or The Grinch during his plan to steal Christmas) pops up.

Tags
None