Sonic Movie Thread - From a Disastrous Teaser/Trailer to Not That Bad a Movie

nosemouth

kiwifarms.net
I agree, and I have no opinion on the movie itself. Won't see it, don't care.
But don't think you're fighting some brave culture war against the feminists by seeing it. I've heard people saying that and it's the most pathetic virtue signaling I've ever seen.
Those anti-SJWs are the real SJWs, aren't they? LOL

• Winner
Reactions: Syaoran Li

Pickle Inspector

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I am so surprised that so many people like this movie.

This movie was lame in and out. It never bounced from its utter absolute lameness. Now stupid faggot tim faggot recommended this movie to me because it was not a "woke film" or whatever. Bitch, it still sucked.
It kind of reminds me of 2018's Transformers movie Bumblebee, an average kids movie that people were shocked to find out wasn't terrible so got a really positive reception.

• Agree
Reactions: Someone in a Tree
Realistically, the number of people seeing it specifically to spite SJW’s is in a tiny, tiny minority. But all they’re really doing is voicing the unconscious “will” of the masses, which is that everyone is unhappy with the direction Hollywood is going in and showing it with their wallets.

Sonic is a fairly by-the-numbers kids movie that successfully executes on everything it tries to do, but doesn’t aim any higher than it needs to. It’s the very definition of a baseline “completely adequate” movie, and the fact that it’s making this much money and getting this much praise heaped on it is more indicative of the state of Hollywood than the mindsets of the fans. In a healthy industry, the only notable thing about Sonic would be the fact that it’s a successful video game movie.
I do think that is somewhat unfair, because the movie does have a very strong theme of "Isolation and Loneliness" and while not a core conflict between Sonic and Robotnic, how they react to their Isolation is what separates them as Hero/Villain.

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
It kind of reminds me of 2018's Transformers movie Bumblebee, an average kids movie that people were shocked to find out wasn't terrible so got a really positive reception.
What sets these movies apart from your average drivel is a lack of Hollywood cynicism, where all they care about is going for the lowest common denominator to min-max the profits. The one thing that relate Sonic, Joker and Bumblebee are that the people who wrote them clearly cared about telling a story first and foremost, and showed respect for the source material instead of just using well-known characters as hollow puppets to sell tickets and toys.

It looks like after a decade of dumb CGI disasterpieces audiences are finally growing numb to the spectacle. Maybe with Corona-chan raping Hollywood’s profits, we’ll see a new era of lower-budget story and character-driven films because that’s all the big studios can afford to make.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I hope that at least the animation is good. Almost if not every Illumination character has a 2D mouth stuck to a 3D face and it looks so wrong.

Also Nintendo had zero choice in the animation studio. Making an animated movie was part of the deal with Universal to build Nintendo World, and Illumination is their current in-house studio, unfortunately.
I'm remaining cautiously optimistic because Nintendo still remembers the scars from the '90s the last time someone tried to make a Mario movie. Given how The Pokémon Company oversaw Detective Pikachu, they would want to have the final say in everything to ensure it would be leaps better than the live-action film.

If they had waited a bit longer, maybe DreamWorks could've been put in charge.

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
They wanted Nintendo World to be opened ahead of the summer Olympics though, even though there's talk that the Olympics won't even happen now. A shame because yeah, a DreamWorks backed Mario movie would probably be much, much better than an Illumination one. If nothing else I'd expect better animation.

• Agree
Reactions: Biffo

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I do think that is somewhat unfair, because the movie does have a very strong theme of "Isolation and Loneliness" and while not a core conflict between Sonic and Robotnic, how they react to their Isolation is what separates them as Hero/Villain.
That;s a good point.

Sonic doesn't really like it, so tries to find ways to cope with it via following and envisioning people, talking to himself to make him feel like he has friends. Robotnik though chose to mostly embrace it and tries to pretend he's beyond everyone, with Agent Stone being one of the very few people he lets into his life (and he clearly misses given how when he was completely alone on Mushroom Zone, he went nuts and named his Wilson after him).

Reactions: Catgirl IRL

Kari Kamiya

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Robotnik though chose to mostly embrace it and tries to pretend he's beyond everyone, with Agent Stone being one of the very few people he lets into his life (and he clearly misses given how when he was completely alone on Mushroom Zone, he went nuts and named his Wilson after him).
I think he just misses bossing someone around, but his sanity snapped and now he's talking to himself much like how Sonic did in the beginning.

I think he just misses bossing someone around, but his sanity snapped and now he's talking to himself much like how Sonic did in the beginning.
I think this is a more accurate summation. Given that Robotnick's main personality trait is "I am smarter than everyone, Therefore I AM BETTER THAN YOU." you can't be smarter than everyone if there is not an everyone to be smarter than.

Biffo

kiwifarms.net
They wanted Nintendo World to be opened ahead of the summer Olympics though, even though there's talk that the Olympics won't even happen now. A shame because yeah, a DreamWorks backed Mario movie would probably be much, much better than an Illumination one. If nothing else I'd expect better animation.
Honestly shocked it isn't by Dreamworks or at least the animation work of, both owned by the same company and Illumination seems to be putting out the hits. while Dreamworks not so much, hell Illumination is even doing work on the Shrek reboot. Just seems weird not to pass the sure fire hit to the company that needs it more.

Sexual Chocolate

kiwifarms.net
What sets these movies apart from your average drivel is a lack of Hollywood cynicism, where all they care about is going for the lowest common denominator to min-max the profits. The one thing that relate Sonic, Joker and Bumblebee are that the people who wrote them clearly cared about telling a story first and foremost, and showed respect for the source material instead of just using well-known characters as hollow puppets to sell tickets and toys.
Yeah.

Sonic is a formulaic kids movie with an average plot, but it's successful for the same reasons people liked The Mandalorian.

It's completely free of irony, or irony's gay little brother snark, or political messages, or strong wahmen. It also avoids EXTREME TO THE MAXX! "re-imaginings" of characters nobody wanted re-imagined, unlike the bad LSD trip nightmare fuel of the Mario Bros movie.
1a0f78082e9691bddd90d1f0004c4592.jpg

It's aimed at little kids, and it's perfect for that demographic - it's thoroughly entertaining for children young enough to be amused by a cartoon hedgehog's antics, and doesn't contain anything suggestive or subversive that parents might not want their kids to see.

The secondary demographic for this movie is, I guess, OG Sonic fans. And they put a lot of love and attention into referencing the vidyagame series without hitting you over the head with crass memberberries.

There's none of the barely concealed hostility towards fans that some recent movies have contained. Sonic just wants the audience to have a good time.

InsolentGaylord

kiwifarms.net

So this miserable commie analysis channel decided to make a video about how it's a bad thing the Sonic movie wasn't a left wing political movie pushing agendas onto the audience.

• Informative
Reactions: Pokemonquistador2

Pokemonquistador2

Electric Boogaloo
kiwifarms.net

So this miserable commie analysis channel decided to make a video about how it's a bad thing the Sonic movie wasn't a left wing political movie pushing agendas onto the audience.
From the comments section:

"All of this! "Fan service is not respect for the audience. It's flattery. We need to stop being so easily impressed that a movie reminded you something exists."

WAAAHHH! Movies aren't supposed to give fans what they want. They're supposed to lecture them on important Social Justice issues!

It's like these faggots have totally forgotten that the purpose of a movie is to make an audience happy so that said audience will fork over money.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

So he wanted the movie to completely and utterly bomb then?

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Pokemonquistador2

Kari Kamiya

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

He's just upset the characters live in a small town in Montana (a RED STATE, GASP) with a love for/don't mind Olive Garden and have a noticeable disdain for the elite coastal cities and even poke fun of it here and there while surprisingly remaining apolitical despite Washington's brief involvement (societal issues aren't necessarily political issues).

A lot of these people are really taking a Sonic movie way too personally, like holy shit. I think this is the movie that broke them coming off the heels of Joker.

Tags
None