Sony forces Japanese developers to censor sexual content - For Japanese audiences too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrokenWokenBespoken

kiwifarms.net
Me and my buddies have pondered whether or not there’s now an unspoken “PS4 tax” at Sony where if a Japanese company regulrly sells enough game copies (like RGG Studios, Atlus, or Namco), they’ll be allowed to release the game uncut with all panties, cleavage, butts, etc in-tact, while the “undesirables” (like Compile Heart or Tamsoft) have to jump through extra hoops to do basic shit with their equally risque games.

Might explain why DMC5 only got uncut AFTER selling 2 million units
That was what Moira explained why the censorship is happening.

purpleboy

Purple Spergosaur
kiwifarms.net
That was what Moira explained why the censorship is happening.
Even if that is the case, that certainly doesn’t make Sony look good, it tells AA and indie devs that they’re bugs unless they’re raking in the same numbers as Namco and Square Enix.

That’d be like forcing anyone who isn’t either a major company or a long-time seller off of eBay

CheezzyMach

Superior Tentacle Rapist
kiwifarms.net
Even if that is the case, that certainly doesn’t make Sony look good, it tells AA and indie devs that they’re bugs unless they’re raking in the same numbers as Namco and Square Enix.

That’d be like forcing anyone who isn’t either a major company or a long-time seller off of eBay
Reminds me of Bernie Stolar's infamously draconian 5 star "No 2D, No RPGS" policy that helped tank the Saturn.

The Demon Pimp of Razgriz

Still Pimpin
kiwifarms.net
Me and my buddies have pondered whether or not there’s now an unspoken “PS4 tax” at Sony where if a Japanese company regularly sells enough game copies (like RGG Studios, Atlus, or Namco), they’ll be allowed to release the game uncut with all panties, cleavage, butts, etc in-tact, while the “undesirables” (like Compile Heart or Tamsoft) have to jump through extra hoops to do basic shit with their equally risque games.

Might explain why DMC5 only got uncut AFTER selling 2 million units
If that is the case, all its doing is chasing these companies into the hands of Nintendo. Companies that might have otherwise just stuck with Sony out of habit and a built in fan base will now relocate to Nintendo. While an individual game may not pull much in the way of numbers, as a collective, these indie studios and smaller A and AA publishers carry some weight in the industry and fill an important niche in the release schedule. Spitting in the face of these companies after they single-handedly kept the Vita alive (if not quite relevant) is quite scummy, and i can't imagine that such tactics will be forgotten in the near future. A lot of companies resented Nintendo for similarly controlling and high-handed policies back during the NES/SNES days, and continued to carry that resentment long after Nintendo's controlling policies had faded. That resentment fueled Sega and companies like Namco jumped ship to the Sega Genesis largely as a protest move against Nintendo's controlling policies. Sony are flirting with doing the same.

purpleboy

Purple Spergosaur
kiwifarms.net
If that is the case, all its doing is chasing these companies into the hands of Nintendo. Companies that might have otherwise just stuck with Sony out of habit and a built in fan base will now relocate to Nintendo. While an individual game may not pull much in the way of numbers, as a collective, these indie studios and smaller A and AA publishers carry some weight in the industry and fill an important niche in the release schedule. Spitting in the face of these companies after they single-handedly kept the Vita alive (if not quite relevant) is quite scummy, and i can't imagine that such tactics will be forgotten in the near future. A lot of companies resented Nintendo for similarly controlling and high-handed policies back during the NES/SNES days, and continued to carry that resentment long after Nintendo's controlling policies had faded. That resentment fueled Sega and companies like Namco jumped ship to the Sega Genesis largely as a protest move against Nintendo's controlling policies. Sony are flirting with doing the same.
Funny part is that, if memory serves, part of Sony’s appeal to devs on PS1 WAS the fact that they were more willing to accept more risque shit like Resident Evil and GTA1 than 1996-era Nintendo

Keep in mind, my “undesirable purge” theory has no clear backing, it’s just an observation on my part

purpleboy

Purple Spergosaur
kiwifarms.net
So on the Kill la Kill IF webpage they have a table of the differences based on platform and at the bottom it says basically there is no difference in terms of outfits etc. Does this mean Sony is letting up on censorship?
Unlikely, it’s more likely that they’re just doing the “special treatment” I mentioned earlier, since Arc System Works (the publisher) has a lot of financial clout thanks the DBFZ and the fact that Sony owns Aniplex, the show’s American distributor probably helps too

• Agree
Reactions: Judge Dredd

MemeGray

https://youtu.be/hzc5VHL1bPM
kiwifarms.net
Unlikely, it’s more likely that they’re just doing the “special treatment” I mentioned earlier, since Arc System Works (the publisher) has a lot of financial clout thanks the DBFZ and the fact that Sony owns Aniplex, the show’s American distributor probably helps too
Ahh so simply a case of the source material bring quite risqué and Sony not wanting Nintendo stealing their shekels by having it uncensored?

purpleboy

Purple Spergosaur
kiwifarms.net
Ahh so simply a case of the source material bring quite risqué and Sony not wanting Nintendo stealing their shekels by having it uncensored?
My “Sony tax” idea is still just conjecture, but i do get the feeling it’s because Sony has Western rights to KLK in this case. Guessing the same would happen if Sony had a Goblin Slayer game coming to PS4 (GS is owned by Sony in America via Funimation)

• Agree
Reactions: Syaoran Li

BrokenWokenBespoken

kiwifarms.net

The Vita was sustained by these titles yes, but a lot of the first party companies for Sony went out of business developing games on the Vita. Of course while they sold enough to keep it profitable, ultimately it was considered a legacy console and it received no end to the grief from journalists who hate these types of games. It didn't met the expectations of what Sony wanted with the Vita which was "Console Gaming on a handheld" which Switch proceed to defy expectation by proving both a strong first party library and the titles that the weebs love so much.

• Agree
Reactions: Judge Dredd

Judge Dredd

10 Gaschamber 20 GOTO 10
kiwifarms.net
A lot of companies resented Nintendo for similarly controlling and high-handed policies back during the NES/SNES days, and continued to carry that resentment long after Nintendo's controlling policies had faded. That resentment fueled Sega and companies like Namco jumped ship to the Sega Genesis largely as a protest move against Nintendo's controlling policies. Sony are flirting with doing the same.
Those controlling policies fade, but one problem with Nintendo (and other companies) is that once those policies fade, they have a big success and the policies come right back.

So on the Kill la Kill IF webpage they have a table of the differences based on platform and at the bottom it says basically there is no difference in terms of outfits etc. Does this mean Sony is letting up on censorship?
My guess is that there is going to censorship across the board, kind of like Ubisoft downgrading their games on PC for console parity. Or the outfits will be the same, but the Sony versions will be covered up more. But there's no "master chief outfit on xbox" kind of exclusives.

purpleboy

Purple Spergosaur
kiwifarms.net
Those controlling policies fade, but one problem with Nintendo (and other companies) is that once those policies fade, they have a big success and the policies come right back.

My guess is that there is going to censorship across the board, kind of like Ubisoft downgrading their games on PC for console parity. Or the outfits will be the same, but the Sony versions will be covered up more. But there's no "master chief outfit on xbox" kind of exclusives.
It says “There are no alterations to the game's visuals (costumes and etc.) between the regions and platforms.” so either everyone is being hit with the shitstick or Sony’s giving KLK special treatment because they have international rights to the IP

Also, if you think about it, Nintendo was pretty lenient towards 3rd party publishers even back on the Wii with shit like Oneechambara or House of the Dead Overkill. You gotta remember that FE Fates and Xenoblade X were only censored because they were published by Nintendo themselves and Nintendo was scared of losing the T rating, meanwhile Bayonetta is an obvious M-rated game from the get-go, so it remained unscathed

Last edited:

purpleboy

Purple Spergosaur
kiwifarms.net
What’s next? GTA San Andreas Remastered for the Switch with the Hot Coffee mod included?
That would require effort on Rockstar’s part, this is the same company that just directly ported the PS2 version of SA to PS4 without mapping the driving controls to the triggers, resulting in driving feeling wonky, because the pressure sensitive X button from the PS2 no longer exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino