Sony hate thread -

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Sweeney did nothing wrong.
kiwifarms.net
The simplest thing to do with multi-platform titles at that time would be to to base it around the PS2, then just copy paste on Xbox/GC. If you're lazy.
Sort of, but not really. Publishers did that but it wasn't as simple as that, it was more like figuring out a Venn diagram of features and abilities between platforms and build the game around what every platform could do. That means CPU limitations, what the proto-GPUs could do, memory and all that. So they make a core game then they start adding platform specific tweaks to graphics, the type of graphics that doesn't change how the game is played. That's why Sony in the PS2 era usually came out short on multiplat games while at the same time having exclusives that did some truly spectacular things.

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I wish soney would aggressively push for development of new Warhawk and Legend of Dragoon games, with the same intensity they desperately shove uncharted, woke of us and dad of war down our throats.
What I would really love to see is a new War of The Monsters game, it's an obscure ip but kaiju stuff is popular at the moment.

I really wish Incognito, the developer of War of The Monsters, could have lasted longer, they were a great dev.

Some power on the XB1 was reserved for Kinect. Look how that turned out.
That would explain it.

The Xbone had a slightly faster CPU which made some CPU bound games run better, it was at a lower resolution but resolution doesn't matter as much when frame rate is bound by the CPU. It was all a bit weird and confusing. Going back before that to the PS2 then multiplat games were generally better looking on every other platform like the GC, Xbox and PC. It wasn't because the PS2 was bad, it was because it was weird and when a game was made for everything they had to find the commonalities in hardware functions and performance in all targeted platforms and build around that. The PS2 was always the odd one out, it could do things no other platform could at that time and that was bad for the portability of multiplatform titles.
What's sad is how many PS2 versions of multiplat games I played on the PS2 back then despite also owning a GC and Xbox because that was just what wasn't checked out on the shelves of video stores at the time I was wanting to rent something or I just didn't think that deeply about it.

Of course I didn't care about that sort of thing as much back then.

4ZURE

kiwifarms.net
PlayStation All-Stars deserves a sequel. It was a decent game that was mishandled, not due to a lack of care, but thanks to the era it was in. Nowadays, the devs could probably get heavy hitters like Crash and Spyro, with were previously impossible.

I also think a sequel would benefit from having more than 1 character per franchise, a trait only God of War and Infamous had. The game seriously needed Qwark and Nefarious, Carmelita Fox, Snake, and others.

agility_

kiwifarms.net
That type of game, the party brawler, can only work if you add some broken movement mechanic that aspergers and autists can gather around and call "deep" and "twitchy", then form a cabal of a community based purely on tiered competition and poor body hygiene. Otherwise you just have another niche game.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Weirdest fucking rumor I've heard today.

Sony is apparently wanting too make a Macross game. It's apparently part of their bigmclargehuge multimedia deals like TLOU and GOW which get TV shows/movies and games.

This is not grouped with stuff like Legend of Heroes so it's not animated. So if it's intended for cross promotion does this mean a Live Action macross movie? I mean currently there's a big void ever since Disney blew up Star Wars. The Live action Yamato movie was good so it's not like it's unheard of doing something like that before.

It would be fucking weird if Macross suddenly becomes a cornerstone of western sci-fi if they're intending to take the mantle from Star Wars. But then again Star Trek is also in disarray and hated, so it may be a prime opportunity.

4ZURE

kiwifarms.net
Weirdest fucking rumor I've heard today.

Sony is apparently wanting too make a Macross game. It's apparently part of their bigmclargehuge multimedia deals like TLOU and GOW which get TV shows/movies and games.

This is not grouped with stuff like Legend of Heroes so it's not animated. So if it's intended for cross promotion does this mean a Live Action macross movie? I mean currently there's a big void ever since Disney blew up Star Wars. The Live action Yamato movie was good so it's not like it's unheard of doing something like that before.

It would be fucking weird if Macross suddenly becomes a cornerstone of western sci-fi if they're intending to take the mantle from Star Wars. But then again Star Trek is also in disarray and hated, so it may be a prime opportunity.
Never heard of the series. Sounds cool though.

If Sony really wanted to get on the Star Wars bandwagon, I kinda feel like Kill Zone would have been a good option for them seeing as Radec is the closest thing to a Vader in their arsenal. It also helps that it has the whole Space Nazi vibe.

Musashi

SJWs Can't PC Me.
kiwifarms.net
Why would anyone hate Sony? I mean...

767.jpeg

4ZURE

kiwifarms.net
Sony is better at making interactive movies now than making good movies or good games.
SackBoy, Dreams, R&C, and Astro would beg to differ.

Sony is more than capable of having games where gameplay is key, they just choose not to for their mature franchises. This is probably a result of later 7th Gen, a good chunk of their gameplay focused titles like Twisted 2012 were poor critically and sales wise due to a pretty shitty gamer culture at the time. TLoU did really well, so Sony is milking the trend for all its worth.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
SackBoy, Dreams, R&C, and Astro would beg to differ.

Sony is more than capable of having games where gameplay is key, they just choose not to for their mature franchises. This is probably a result of later 7th Gen, a good chunk of their gameplay focused titles like Twisted 2012 were poor critically and sales wise due to a pretty shitty gamer culture at the time. TLoU did really well, so Sony is milking the trend for all its worth.
There was quite a jump in sales for for Sony firsty party games on the PS4 compared to previous generations. Like they got consecutive hits back to back all hitting 10 million or over.

The Last of Us on PS3 only sold around a little over 3 million copies, God of War and Horizon reached well over 10 million. God of War had a terrible last installment on the PS3 and Horizon was a brand new series.

People complain about Studio japan being broken up, but people forget that decades prior, Sony first party titles were the butt of Jokes because they were always compared to Nintendo's first party titles and offerings. Nobody bought games like Afrika and Folklore, both of these were unique but they just didn't mesh well into the overall picture. Afrika was intended to carry the PS3 at launch and it didn't. Here in the case of the PS4 they actually had multiple franchises doing numbers on par or better with Nintendo.

It's kind of "too little too late" at this point. They're investing in 3rd person games much like Nintendo went full retard on 2D platformers in the 80's and 90's. They've found something that people actively want to play and will buy a system for. personally I don't really see this as a negative because if you're dumping in resources to a specific genre that tends to work out for the better in the long run. Companies like Square Enix, Old School Blizzard, Falcom, and many others just focused on one specific genre and got multiple working variations of it. It's not a bad method of large scale game development. You even see Activision now having to cut down on shit because of financial troubles so they're going full retard into COD because people will buy FPS games in larger numbers.

Last edited:

4ZURE

kiwifarms.net
There was quite a jump in sales for for Sony firsty party games on the PS4 compared to previous generations. Like they got consecutive hits back to back all hitting 10 million or over.

The Last of Us on PS3 only sold around a little over 3 million copies, God of War and Horizon reached well over 10 million.

People complain about Studio japan being broken up, but people forget that decades prior, Sony first party titles were the butt of Jokes because they were always compared to Nintendo's first party titles and offerings. Nobody bought games like Afrika and Folklore, both of these were unique but they just didn't mesh well into the overall picture. Afrika was intended to carry the PS3 at launch and it didn't. Here in the case of the PS4 they actually had multiple franchises doing numbers on par or better with Nintendo.

It's kind of "too little too late" at this point. They're investing in 3rd person games much like Nintendo went full retard on 2D platformers in the 80's and 90's. They've found something that people actively want to play and will buy a system for. personally I don't really see this as a negative because if you're dumping in resources to a specific genre that tends to work out for the better in the long run. Companies like Square Enix, Old School Blizzard, Falcom, and many others just focused on one specific genre and got multiple working variations of it. It's not a bad method of large scale game development. You even see Activision now having to cut down on shit because of financial troubles so they're going full retard into COD because people will buy FPS games in larger numbers.
Correct.
I think a big issue for Sony for the longest time, and the PS3 especially, was a lack of true identity. This was an aspect I adored about Sony back then, hence my love for PS3, but it made them a loose canon in a sense. Nintendo was kid friendly, Microsoft was hardcore gamers, but what was Sony? They had this weird mix of adult games like God of War and Uncharted, alongside kid games like R&C and LBP. It was kinda confusing which audience they wanted.

I think the PS5 maybe the best of both worlds again personally. I think I have to accept that edgy old-school God of War/ Twisted Sony is dead, but I can appreciate them placing more care into brighter games like Dreams and R&C than they did throughout early PS4. I disagree with you on genres, as Sony is a console manufacturer, so they should grab a wide range of genres, but it seems like they are taking strides to be better about it.

Titos

Your smile makes my heart explode :3
kiwifarms.net
Correct.
I think a big issue for Sony for the longest time, and the PS3 especially, was a lack of true identity. This was an aspect I adored about Sony back then, hence my love for PS3, but it made them a loose canon in a sense. Nintendo was kid friendly, Microsoft was hardcore gamers, but what was Sony? They had this weird mix of adult games like God of War and Uncharted, alongside kid games like R&C and LBP. It was kinda confusing which audience they wanted.

I think the PS5 maybe the best of both worlds again personally. I think I have to accept that edgy old-school God of War/ Twisted Sony is dead, but I can appreciate them placing more care into brighter games like Dreams and R&C than they did throughout early PS4. I disagree with you on genres, as Sony is a console manufacturer, so they should grab a wide range of genres, but it seems like they are taking strides to be better about it.
Did Sony ever really have an identity? I can't really think of anything that ever was a common thread in their library from the PS1 through PS2. The only common thread now is over the shoulder hollywood shit and anything that isn't that being relegated to being a glorified tech demo.

4ZURE

kiwifarms.net
Did Sony ever really have an identity? I can't really think of anything that ever was a common thread in their library from the PS1 through PS2. The only common thread now is over the shoulder hollywood shit and anything that isn't that being relegated to being a glorified tech demo.
I said they did not in the OG post, but I could have worded better.

Sony, to me, always felt like the Microsoft and Nintendo inbetween. It was a system in which its top first party offerings ranged from highly violent and gory God slayer man to look at the cute burlap sack put stickers on the floor. Sony never really had a distinct audience, which is probably why their first party got trashed hard like @Marissa Moira stated. Well, that and console elitism, as Nintendo fans only allow SEGA and Capcom to make colorful games and get praise as Nintendo #1, while XBOX fans only care for Halo as that is #1 hardcore gamer experience.

Common trends for Sony are a bit scarce. In the PS2 days it was arguably more crude platformers aimed at teens as Ratchet, Jak, and Sly were top dogs. I would say the biggest trend was story based titles throughout PS2 to PS3 though. Jak 2 shifted Naughty Dog into their current incarnation as it went into darker story telling, which was then followed up by Uncharted. One can also point to things like Twisted Metal Black as that title was praised for the darker narrative. R&C would also follow in the PS3 days, but as a more Pixar-like space adventure narrative. In saying this though, most of the “trends” were pretty limited in scope being either a company thing, or a few.