Sony hate thread -

gangweedfan

Anime is the next stage of evoltin. now yuo see...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Disagree because the 3DS was doing good and quite frankly, Nintendo's always made big bank off BOTH a handheld and a console and that merging the two just seems fucking retarded, given that they are now losing out on money having both a dedicated handheld AND a console.

There is no real fucking reason to have killed the 3DS except that they were so god-damn pissy that the Wii U flopped that someone panic and decided to sacrifice the entire portable division for the sake of propping up the console division and that stuff like the Switch Lite was 100% due to them realizing how badly they fucked up killing the 3DS and needing to keep the Nintendo handheld base who have stuck with them going all the way back to fucking 1989 and the OG Gameboy, from leaving and never coming back the second Sony/Microsoft realizes that the entire motherfucking portable market is now 100% up for grabs and rushes out an XBox Portable or PSP-Vita Reborn and do what the PSP and Vita utterly failed to do and wrestle total and complete control over the handheld market from Nintendo.
I miss the 2nd screen on the switch and vita X_X it was a good feature
PlayStation All-Stars deserves a sequel. It was a decent game that was mishandled, not due to a lack of care, but thanks to the era it was in. Nowadays, the devs could probably get heavy hitters like Crash and Spyro, with were previously impossible.

I also think a sequel would benefit from having more than 1 character per franchise, a trait only God of War and Infamous had. The game seriously needed Qwark and Nefarious, Carmelita Fox, Snake, and others.
I still dont get why cloud, ryu, and snake are in smash bros. Nintendo is basically raping sony of all the good IPs
Weirdest fucking rumor I've heard today.

Sony is apparently wanting too make a Macross game. It's apparently part of their bigmclargehuge multimedia deals like TLOU and GOW which get TV shows/movies and games.

This is not grouped with stuff like Legend of Heroes so it's not animated. So if it's intended for cross promotion does this mean a Live Action macross movie? I mean currently there's a big void ever since Disney blew up Star Wars. The Live action Yamato movie was good so it's not like it's unheard of doing something like that before.

It would be fucking weird if Macross suddenly becomes a cornerstone of western sci-fi if they're intending to take the mantle from Star Wars. But then again Star Trek is also in disarray and hated, so it may be a prime opportunity.
Big if true. we painfully short on mecha anime these days.

4ZURE

kiwifarms.net
I still dont get why cloud, ryu, and snake are in smash bros. Nintendo is basically raping sony of all the good IPs
Snake was because Sakurai is friends with Kojima. Kojima literally begged him for Snake’s inclusion in Melee, but due to time it could not be done.

Cloud was because FF had a long history on Nintendo for 1-6. Cloud was chosen because he is practically the face of the franchise, the most popular protagonist. Sakurai thought he was the most recognizable, so he was included. This actually shocked Square as Square really undervalued how big FF7 was prior to Smash and assumed Sakurai would want a protagonist from the newest title.

Ryu is because SF was big on Super Nintendo, plus Capcom was already part of the development. It also helped that Capcom was trying to sell SFV at the time of his DLC release, so it was good marketing.

MirrorNoir

Un, deux, trois, dit miroir noir
kiwifarms.net
Weirdest fucking rumor I've heard today.

Sony is apparently wanting too make a Macross game. It's apparently part of their bigmclargehuge multimedia deals like TLOU and GOW which get TV shows/movies and games.

This is not grouped with stuff like Legend of Heroes so it's not animated. So if it's intended for cross promotion does this mean a Live Action macross movie? I mean currently there's a big void ever since Disney blew up Star Wars. The Live action Yamato movie was good so it's not like it's unheard of doing something like that before.

It would be fucking weird if Macross suddenly becomes a cornerstone of western sci-fi if they're intending to take the mantle from Star Wars. But then again Star Trek is also in disarray and hated, so it may be a prime opportunity.
Harmony Gold's been desperate to get a Robotech movie off the ground for the last twenty years, to the point that they commissioned a comic book about 6-7 years ago to try and create a lawyer friendly "bible" for a new movie series due to the clusterfuck that is the rights situation. And rumor has it, that the recent deal involved HG and their studio backers for said movie, basically paying off the Japanese anime studios at the heart of the rights clusterfuck, a huge fucking blank check for them to keep renewing the anime rights/let them bring over additional Macross anime shows that have been long embargoed, purely so those with an interest in making a Macross era Robotech movie can do so without worrying about these legal issues once and for all.

That said, I don't think Macross/Robotech has a chance to be the "next big thing" for a couple of reasons:

1. Robotech got popular largely because of Transformers creating a big giant robot that transforms craze in 1984 and they, like Voltron, was able to ride it. And the fact that, in Japan, Macross was the first show to successfully ape Gundam's realism factor for it's portrayal of the giant robot genre, combined with marketing ploys (Minmay's basically a ready made pop idol for the masses) and some zeitgeist of the day social commentary (IE Russians hate us for our freedoms and if they just experienced the land of milk and honey that is capitalist driven society ala Japan or America, they'd renounce communism on the spot) that can't apply to today's society in terms of having impact with how fucked everything is today.

2. Robotech also had the novelty that it wasn't as heavily censored as Voltron or Gatchaman was; all instances of death were left intact, which was a huge novelty at the time.

3. Finally, and let's be frank, there are only TWO Macross shows worth a damn: OG Macross and Macross Plus and even Macross Plus is disputed. In Japan, Macross became less like Gundam and more commedia dell'arte with each show linked only by similar looking mechas and a love triangle storyline where at least one member of the triangle is a idol singer. So even they decide to adapt one of later day Macross shows, it will be an uphill fight to get people to care about it.

albert chan

Spanish women are the best.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
3EBD4DAF-2FE4-483E-B1E7-9774FAF51B85.png

MirrorNoir

kiwifarms.net
Did Sony ever really have an identity? I can't really think of anything that ever was a common thread in their library from the PS1 through PS2. The only common thread now is over the shoulder hollywood shit and anything that isn't that being relegated to being a glorified tech demo.
Sony's chief identity days was PS1 and PS2; their identity was that of the company that "evolved" games beyond being kids fodder and started the ball rolling on producing edgy, more "adult games" which single handedy kept the video game industry going as Nintendo's audience hit college age.

Until the PS, video games were strictly kids shit and that if you were an adult, you were not supposed to fucking play or care about video games. Nintendo came along at just the right time to catch the loyalty of an entire generation of kids, and the SNES and Genesis kept them locked in for their teen years.

But by 1995, that original generation that came into video games via the NES was now 18-19 years old and while the fighting genre and EA sports' games had kept them hook as teens, they were fast approaching college and adulthood; a period where they would now have real world shit going on and no more time for "kid things".

The Playstation pretty much single handedly evolved gaming to a more adult/mature level to keep Generation NES playing by giving them games that appealed to their adult sensibilities. Stuff like Resident Evil and Metal Gear and Final Fantasy 7 and even EA Sports perfecting their formula for Madden. While Nintendo only kept only caring about the kid market, allowing Sony to snatch up the now adult gaming market and keeping it with the PS2.

It wasn't until the rise of XBox that Sony lost their identity due to Microsoft beating them at their own game and successfully aping them. As such, from MGS3 onward, Sony floundered because their edgy and adult identity was no longer unique thanks to the Xbox doing it and they've never quite recovered.

agility_

kiwifarms.net
They did get boosted though. During the early to mid lifespan of the 360, a significant amount of people switched over to PS3 in what I could call "failure frustration" with the hardware. And during the XBone release conference microsoft just told everyone to "just buy the other console, it won't be as nearly as big of a bullshit" which helped sony write their infamous PS4 release presentation.
It's the failure of the vita that still hurts the most.

4ZURE

kiwifarms.net
The Playstation pretty much single handedly evolved gaming to a more adult/mature level to keep Generation NES playing by giving them games that appealed to their adult sensibilities. Stuff like Resident Evil and Metal Gear and Final Fantasy 7 and even EA Sports perfecting their formula for Madden. While Nintendo only kept only caring about the kid market, allowing Sony to snatch up the now adult gaming market and keeping it with the PS2.
I want to kinda say no to this. Crash and Spyro were huge staples of PS1 yet were at least Sonic tier in terms of image. Plus this also undermines the PS2 trio. Can anyone really claim that Crash, Spyro, Ratchet, Sly, and Jak were not hallmarks of Sony? I will say this, at least the PS2 trio and Crash were a bit on the edgy side.

Edge was a part of the Sony identity though throughout PS2 and PS3.

It wasn't until the rise of XBox that Sony lost their identity due to Microsoft beating them at their own game and successfully aping them. As such, from MGS3 onward, Sony floundered because their edgy and adult identity was no longer unique thanks to the Xbox doing it and they've never quite recovered.

I disagree. The issue PlayStation faced during 2 was that FPS titles were becoming hallmarks of gaming and their hardware was just not powerful enough to produce titles on par with Halo. Kill Zone was an attempt that only demonstrates this point.

More AWS-8Q Than You

kiwifarms.net
1. Robotech got popular largely because of Transformers creating a big giant robot that transforms craze in 1984 and they, like Voltron, was able to ride it. And the fact that, in Japan, Macross was the first show to successfully ape Gundam's realism factor for it's portrayal of the giant robot genre, combined with marketing ploys (Minmay's basically a ready made pop idol for the masses) and some zeitgeist of the day social commentary (IE Russians hate us for our freedoms and if they just experienced the land of milk and honey that is capitalist driven society ala Japan or America, they'd renounce communism on the spot) that can't apply to today's society in terms of having impact with how fucked everything is today.
First, Macross wasn't aping Gundam's "realism," as Macross is further down the Real Robot side of Mecha anime than Gundam is. Macross took more from Space Battleship Yamato and Kawamori poached Itano from Ideon. Also, Kawamori hated the Idol culture of the time that treated them as nothing but commodities to be used up and disposed of. That's why Idols never die in Macross. That's pretty much the extent of the Social Commentary of Macross. Culture is good, there's something of value in music, idols deserve better than to be treated as objects, and Pop Music makes a hell of a psychological weapon, if it's followed up by All The Thermonuclear Missiles. That's the real reason the Zentran were after the SDF-1, they couldn't make "Reaction" weapons any more. So the SDF-1 gave them Reaction weapons. In large quantities.

3. Finally, and let's be frank, there are only TWO Macross shows worth a damn: OG Macross and Macross Plus and even Macross Plus is disputed. In Japan, Macross became less like Gundam and more commedia dell'arte with each show linked only by similar looking mechas and a love triangle storyline where at least one member of the triangle is a idol singer. So even they decide to adapt one of later day Macross shows, it will be an uphill fight to get people to care about it.
This is entirely incorrect. Macross 7 has three characters from the first show, Macross Zero has a character from the original, Frontier is fucking loaded with things from previous series including the Grand-daughter of a character from Zero and a girl whose mother worked for the same character from Zero. The movies even have Isamu from Plus if you're listening closely. Delta has one of Max and Milia's grand kids as a central character and alludes to what might be Minmei or Misa still pulling strings. Macross was never like Gundam, nor was it trying to be, except that they're both Mecha series and Kawamori's designed Gundams before.

The west lovers OG Macross and Plus because it's all they've gotten. NHK did a poll back in 2019, if they're going to bring any series over, it'll be Frontier, followed by a proper DYRL release, and maybe even a proper Macross 7 release, because those are the three most popular. Give the Western fans a proper blue-ray release of the first two and they'll sell like crazy. If it was reasonable, I'd even by a Macross 7 set. Fucking Flower Girl at 30th most popular character too.

MirrorNoir

kiwifarms.net
First, Macross wasn't aping Gundam's "realism," as Macross is further down the Real Robot side of Mecha anime than Gundam is. Macross took more from Space Battleship Yamato and Kawamori poached Itano from Ideon. Also, Kawamori hated the Idol culture of the time that treated them as nothing but commodities to be used up and disposed of. That's why Idols never die in Macross. That's pretty much the extent of the Social Commentary of Macross. Culture is good, there's something of value in music, idols deserve better than to be treated as objects, and Pop Music makes a hell of a psychological weapon, if it's followed up by All The Thermonuclear Missiles. That's the real reason the Zentran were after the SDF-1, they couldn't make "Reaction" weapons any more. So the SDF-1 gave them Reaction weapons. In large quantities.

This is entirely incorrect. Macross 7 has three characters from the first show, Macross Zero has a character from the original, Frontier is fucking loaded with things from previous series including the Grand-daughter of a character from Zero and a girl whose mother worked for the same character from Zero. The movies even have Isamu from Plus if you're listening closely. Delta has one of Max and Milia's grand kids as a central character and alludes to what might be Minmei or Misa still pulling strings. Macross was never like Gundam, nor was it trying to be, except that they're both Mecha series and Kawamori's designed Gundams before.

The west lovers OG Macross and Plus because it's all they've gotten. NHK did a poll back in 2019, if they're going to bring any series over, it'll be Frontier, followed by a proper DYRL release, and maybe even a proper Macross 7 release, because those are the three most popular. Give the Western fans a proper blue-ray release of the first two and they'll sell like crazy. If it was reasonable, I'd even by a Macross 7 set. Fucking Flower Girl at 30th most popular character too.

Macross 7 would require a complete top to bottom rebubbing/rescoring because of music rights (they hired an actual band who basically licensed their music for the show from an album they made IIRC, and that their asking price was so fucking high (and the music basically rooted into the plot to such a degree that any in-house dubbing company would have to bring in an in-house band to create new songs for the song insert segments) when people initially asked about licensing it in the late 90s, that it was jut too expensive to redub, let alone release subbed, because of their bullshit stance that you had to license their entire discography just to get the album/songs that were in Macross 7 due to the band's pure greed and arrogance. To such an extent that even Super Robot Wars didn't try and license the music from Macross for the games that featured their mechs and in the case of said american distribution groups, ADV Film stated upfront that even EVERY American anime company got together to pool the money to clear the music rights for Harmony Gold, or whoever got the US rights for Macross 7, that it would still only be about 1/3rd of what the band was demanding for their music rights.

Last edited:

More AWS-8Q Than You

kiwifarms.net
Macross 7 would require a complete top to bottom rebubbing/rescoring because of music rights (they hired an actual band who basically licensed their music for the show from an album they made IIRC, and that their asking price was so fucking high (and the music basically rooted into the plot to such a degree that any in-house dubbing company would have to bring in an in-house band to create new songs for the song insert segments) when people initially asked about licensing it in the late 90s, that it was jut too expensive to redub, let alone release subbed, because of their bullshit stance that you had to license their entire discography just to get the album/songs that were in Macross 7 due to the band's pure greed and arrogance. To such an extent that even Super Robot Wars didn't try and license the music from Macross for the games that featured their mechs and in the case of said american distribution groups, ADV Film stated upfront that even EVERY American anime company got together to pool the money to clear the music rights for Harmony Gold, or whoever got the US rights for Macross 7, that it would still only be about 1/3rd of what the band was demanding for their music rights.
I can't actually find anything about this, but most of the Macross 7 music was written by Yoshiki Fukuyama and Chie Kajiura, with some help from Fukuyama's band. Fukuyama being the singing voice of Basara and and Kajiura being the singing voice of Mylene. I don't actually think there was a real band behind it, although Fukuyama still does Fire Bomber concerts. Also, several of the Super Robot Wars games have Macross songs on their OSTs, including Fire Bomber music. I'm looking at a Z3 thing and I'm seeing a bunch of Fire Bomber music.

I don't even know why you'd dub the songs. Frontier's are almost all Yoko Kanno, why would you mess with that? I don't even think that's standard for Anime these days. Also, the License has been in legal hell until a month ago, I don't even remember how they got Plus and the 20th anniversary Macross dub through Harmony Gold's bullshit. I don't think there was ever a serious chance 7 was coming over until a couple months back.

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Did Sony ever really have an identity? I can't really think of anything that ever was a common thread in their library from the PS1 through PS2. The only common thread now is over the shoulder hollywood shit and anything that isn't that being relegated to being a glorified tech demo.
One reoccurring element I noticed with some Sony games for a long time there was retro aesthetics and retro futurism.

It started with MediEvil II being set in Victorian London and then continued on with 50s aesthetics, Twisted Metal Black had a bit of 50s vibe (but dark and spooky) and War of the Monsters explicitly had a 50s style, the PS3 Warhawk also had a retro futuristic style, now you might say that that was just Incognito's style, but then it continued on with Insomniac's Resistance series, which were all 50s set first person shooters with retro futuristic tech, Resistance 2's manual was styled after a 50s Popular Mechanics style magazine, War of The Monsters did something similar with it's manual being themed around a 50s news magazine.

This all culminated in The Order: 1886 which brought things full circle by going back to Victorian London but this time it was retro futuristic, however since the failure of that game it seems like Sony has stepped away from retro aesthetics and retro futurism in any of their games, it is interesting to think this lasted until their "over the shoulder camera, cinematic" era though.

This was never some central identity or anything since they always came out with many games that weren't like this, but it was a reoccurring theme I noticed and one I frankly miss, but I guess the 50s aren't Woke enough.

Aqua Panda

I've seen horrors… horrors that you've seen.
kiwifarms.net
They did get boosted though. During the early to mid lifespan of the 360, a significant amount of people switched over to PS3 in what I could call "failure frustration" with the hardware. And during the XBone release conference microsoft just told everyone to "just buy the other console, it won't be as nearly as big of a bullshit" which helped sony write their infamous PS4 release presentation.
It's the failure of the vita that still hurts the most.
I know a LOT of people who switched over to the ps3 once the slim hit in 2009. Both because of the red ring issues and Sony finally catching up with games.

I really think people forget that the 360 was pretty barren its last few years and only had shitty shovelware kinect games. (It's the main reason the PS3 came from behind and beat the 360 in total lifetime sales. Only the original fad with the Wii kept it from top place.)

The Last Stand

I don't want to sound racist, but...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Epic Games and the success of Fortnite forced Sony's hand for cross-play. AND Sony had the wise idea to implement a fee in exchange for cross-play functionality.

1620160780127.png

#4ThePlayers my ass. They turned a pro-consumer move into a profit gauging mechanic.