Sony Skipping E3 ... Again -

U

UE 558

kiwifarms.net
Out of all the criticism Microsoft get people forget there is a reason why they are top dog. They tend to handle criticism very well(I.e not going into panic mode) they fix what isn't liked and move on. They also work hard in a lot of areas sony dosen't such as making gamey games or try make backwards compatibility a thing. Goodwill can go a long way.

Edit: i forgot to mention even during the resscion micrsoft xbox devision was one of the few companies to have positive continued growth. Not even EA at the time was in a position to do so
Sony's advantage has always been getting outside companies and devs to jump on board with them and do console exclusives/timed exclusives. Guys like FromSoftware, Square, Insomniac, SEGA, Tecmo, Namco, Capcom, Konami, etc helped build their consoles from the PS1 all the way up to quite recently on PS4, but for some reason they're now trying to push them away with the censorship nonsense. It's fucking assbackwards as hell

Last edited by a moderator:

Hal

KINO OVERLOAD
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't blame them tbh. All E3 is is a bunch of cringy autistic game commercials and terrible, awkward shows done by people who probably don't even play video games. Nintendo was right to just go with their smaller Nintendo direct and Sony is doing the right thing now.

DeeplyFlawedMan

kiwifarms.net
Given the reach of their general marketing these days, this is entirely understandable - Nintendo doesn't seem to have suffered as a result of its decision to pull out of e3 for the past few years.

Personally, e3, as an experience, just feels far less significant than it used to; some of that can, no doubt, be attributed to me just getting older/increasingly cynical about everything as time goes by; but it also seems pretty clear to me that there's less hype every year.

Polyboros

kiwifarms.net
This more feels like the recent Olympics news. Besides the cost of these huge, exceptional theater presentations, for Sony it's probably a fight between Sony and the Dev companies that are also putting on big, expensive, exceptional theater presentations. Sony doesn't have much besides other companies AAA games.

Some may joke about stealing Nintendo's ideas, but often times Nintendo is making good ideas. For a stretch. Before they throw something to the wall that doesn't stick.

However, not being there at all is a tad weird. I wouldn't blame Sony for giving E3 the bird theater space, use that money to do a miniBlizzcon thing that only publicizes themselves, and still having floor space. I wonder if e3 is starting to get greedy now that studios are doing their own thing, a day before, at a different location. E3 might of asked for to much money and got told to shove it.

BeanBidan

Welcome to Silent Hill faggots.
kiwifarms.net
I don't watch E3 because I'm heterosexual, and when i tried I saw some bald white dude blowing a big wooden cock or Japanese instrument.
Idk, I'm finding myself more interested in playing old games from old gens I never got to play or own. I don't care about graphics, I just want to have fun dammit. New games are just movies that plays themselves at this point, it's been that way since mid life of 360 and PS3

Takayuki Yagami

Justice is Blind, and Autistic
kiwifarms.net
I was gonna say 'Makes sense, they have Playstation Experience', but if they're canning that too I'm actually kinda mystified. Sure, the press is a shit show, but it's pretty ballsy to give away an entire month of coverage to your opponents without any kind of response.
Maybe they think they can pull off Nintendo Direct style events, forgeting that Nintendo gets away with it because they go out of the way to provide content for their users.

_blank_

The Charles Dickens of Disco
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Maybe Sony's financial department decided to cinch up their purse strings after last year's fucking exercise in hubris.

"Okay, everyone congregate into this barn and listen to Banjo Man before we show some Last of the Lesbians 'game footage.' THEN once that's done, EVERYONE GET UP and walk to ANOTHER theatre where Flute Man plays us a tune before we watch a third-person action game with samurais, followed by a third-person action game with Kojima-branded vagueness, and then, to spice things up.... ANOTHER third-person action game with super heroes."

Kinda speaks leagues when you realize the most exciting part of the entire event was the reveal trailer was for the remake of RE2.

Replicant Sasquatch

Do Lolcows Dream of Electric Hedgehog Pokemon?
kiwifarms.net
Out of all the criticism Microsoft get people forget there is a reason why they are top dog. They tend to handle criticism very well(I.e not going into panic mode) they fix what isn't liked and move on. They also work hard in a lot of areas sony dosen't such as making gamey games or try make backwards compatibility a thing. Goodwill can go a long way.

Edit: i forgot to mention even during the resscion micrsoft xbox devision was one of the few companies to have positive continued growth. Not even EA at the time was in a position to do so
Microsoft also took a giant shit all over Halo which as far as I'm concerned is unforgivable.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Naughty Dog actually made Sony stop doing live events because Naughty Dog blew millions on that stupid church setting where all they had to show after 4 years of work was two uggos kissing.

Naughty Dog only became famous due to Crash Bandicoot

Therefore Crash has killed E3. Fulfilling the prophesy that a great video game Crash would end E3.

Gravityqueen4life

kiwifarms.net
I don't watch E3 because I'm heterosexual, and when i tried I saw some bald white dude blowing a big wooden cock or Japanese instrument.
Idk, I'm finding myself more interested in playing old games from old gens I never got to play or own. I don't care about graphics, I just want to have fun dammit. New games are just movies that plays themselves at this point, it's been that way since mid life of 360 and PS3
yeah, been replaying some ps2 games and made me remember why i loved playing games in the first place. better graphics has always been a bonus, not a must for me.

Overcooked Raccoon

Robotnik is still the bae.
kiwifarms.net
Not shocked.

Also the last E3 was fantastic for Microsoft, but for Bethesda and Square Enix it was so weird. Lots of regular people cheering at stupid shit and trying to ape the "You're breathtaking guy" from the Microsoft conference. I think that's just the bar being lowered with more and more people going to E3 as a whole.

My honest takes are Microsoft running the show, with Nintendo's digital event being good, SE not really doing much (Unless we get that rumored Nier project for the anniversary). Bethesda is gonna be a trainwreck, EA will suck, Ubisoft will be fine.

Sony not being there does raise a red flag as they have to show off the PS5, but my guess is a streaming event akin to how the PS4 was revealed will be their way of channeling the Switch like energy Nintendo had during their reveal.

Smug Chuckler

Nigger Cattle
kiwifarms.net
Nintendo shows games
Microsoft the same without the excitement
Ubisoft is cringe
Squeenix is somewhere between Nintendo and Ubisoft
You watch EA's?
Bethesda at this point is better off having Todd Howard step on the stage, grab a knife and stab himself with a wicked smile on his face.

CrunkLord420

not a financial adviser
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Microsoft blew out all expectations when they announced a new Flight Sim game.

That Chris Guy

kiwifarms.net
I'm wondering what Microsoft will show at E3 this year.
Obviously Halo will be the centrepiece, but Gear has burnt out on popularity way faster, Fable disappeared to die in a cave somewhere, and Crackdown 3 was a big pile of...nothing? Also, Killer Instinct isn't being worked on, but its name isn't as big as the others..

So will there be new and interesting IPs or just more timed exclusives? Unless they announce something like backwards compatibility with every XBox generation I don't know what they have which could turn the tide in their favour. Unless Sony makes another monumental PS3-reveal-tier fuckup, that is.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Obviously Halo will be the centrepiece, but Gear has burnt out on popularity way faster, Fable disappeared to die in a cave somewhere, and Crackdown 3 was a big pile of...nothing? Also, Killer Instinct isn't being worked on, but its name isn't as big as the others..

So will there be new and interesting IPs or just more timed exclusives? Unless they announce something like backwards compatibility with every XBox generation I don't know what they have which could turn the tide in their favour. Unless Sony makes another monumental PS3-reveal-tier fuckup, that is.
My guess is that they're gonna be pushing Xcloud a whole lot, and that could go either way. Microsoft Azure's a lot bigger than most people would think, and I... really don't know how that's going to go. My gut tells me to be cautiously optimistic, but my brain knows that's burned me plenty of times.

I can all but guarantee that Xcloud is going to blow Stadia out of the water, that's for damn sure. Though that's not hard to do when fucking Onlive did what Stadia did, but better, by an independent company, eight years before Stadia existed.

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net

They're likely going to be pushing a lot of mediocre exclusives for 2021 for the Xbox Series X - primarily because they bought a large number of studios last year to do exactly that. My guess would be they're going to try and lean on something from Obsidian (Outer Worlds 2 or something new) although I can't imagine they have anything amazing to push out for release.

If they aren't retarted - they'll be pushing XCloud, Gamepass, and Mixer as well as showing thier (again, if not retarted) deep intergration into the XBOXSX console. There will be tons of awkward scripted demos because they can't help themselves. I would be shocked if they didn't have backwards compatibility considering how much they've been beating on that drum so expect that to be put in the spotlight as well.

Overcooked Raccoon

Robotnik is still the bae.
kiwifarms.net
They're likely going to be pushing a lot of mediocre exclusives for 2021 for the Xbox Series X - primarily because they bought a large number of studios last year to do exactly that. My guess would be they're going to try and lean on something from Obsidian (Outer Worlds 2 or something new) although I can't imagine they have anything amazing to push out for release.

If they aren't retarted - they'll be pushing XCloud, Gamepass, and Mixer as well as showing thier (again, if not retarted) deep intergration into the XBOXSX console. There will be tons of awkward scripted demos because they can't help themselves. I would be shocked if they didn't have backwards compatibility considering how much they've been beating on that drum so expect that to be put in the spotlight as well.
It's def gonna be on the Series X, with a bunch of first party exclusives using their newly bought companies. I feel they're going to be embracing indie as well like last year, but really buckle down on the stuff that will be exclusive to them (and PC because it's gonna end up there anyway).

Expecting more stuff from Bandai Namco, probably more of Elden's Ring and Tales of Arise(with a release date this year for Arise). A big mix of Japanese support to show that they do care about the market, but going fucking buckwild on Halo. Halo will be their ace in the whole gamewise E3 this year and I'm sure the scope of the game will be nuts.

I hope on top of the normal tech statements they have for Series X, we do get integratio with Xcloud, Gamepass, and especially Mixer as it's trying to fight for supremacy with Twitch.

Considering how Nintendo will be focused on it's software with the other third parties, Microsoft is the only one now to really focus on their programs to better support the Series X itself which will hopefully give it a better handle then the original Xbox One launch.