Sony - The Elephant In The Room

• The site was compromised. (Initial announcement) (What to do)
    Okay, now attachments should be working and the site should be very fast. If not, report it.

JosephTX

Joseph Guillaume of Houston, Don't Mess With Texas
kiwifarms.net
With it being an established fact that Sony was directly involved in Vic's termination where do they now stand in regards to to this? Especially considering their massive legal department they have at their disposal.

Vampy

kiwifarms.net
I doubt they'll lift a finger to help the accused idiots at least.
We don't know. Most we know is Sony did the investigation because HR Funimation is a dumpster fire.
Or they outright don't have one.

Also didn't they not investigate some stories because they were even dummer than the three they did?

Recoil

Tactical Autism Response Division
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm betting Sony mishandled this somehow on account of cultural differences.
Most old school Japanese entrepreneurs & execs would likely be dumbfounded by this shit.
They prolly just handed everything off to Funi and said "Do whatever needs to be done here?"

mindlessobserver

kiwifarms.net
I'm betting Sony mishandled this somehow on account of cultural differences.
Most old school Japanese entrepreneurs & execs would likely be dumbfounded by this shit.
They prolly just handed everything off to Funi and said "Do whatever needs to be done here?"
Except this will be handled by Sony of America. Sony Japan will try and stay as far away as it can beyond breathing down Sony of Americas neck to fix it. If they even notice at all.

Recoil

Tactical Autism Response Division
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Except this will be handled by Sony of America. Sony Japan will try and stay as far away as it can beyond breathing down Sony of Americas neck to fix it. If they even notice at all.
You think Japanese Sony knows the score, or are they just staying the eff outta this with an air of detached confusion?

Crippled Eagle

Top Floppy Slotter 1977
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
With it being an established fact that Sony was directly involved in Vic's termination where do they now stand in regards to to this? Especially considering their massive legal department they have at their disposal.
They'll press Funi to settle and leave the rest out to dry. This could get expensive, fast. Super Broly cost $8.5 million to make, are you willing to spend that on lawyers and payouts for virtue signaling? The answer is no.

Again, I honestly don't think Sony did anything other than greenlight Funimation not picking Vic back up for future contracts. I think their investigation turned up nothing, so Funimation bitched even louder, and Sony said "fuck it, fine, we don't care just do your goddamn job, we shouldn't have to babysit a Texas company all the way from Japan in regards to a single fucking contractor." They didn't defame him, their investigation by all accounts did not turn anything up, and they have been totally silent on the matter, at least publicly. I think Sony was trying to stay ahead of a #MeToo situation and misjudged it, which is totally understandable in this day and age.

I think that the US release of Super Broly made over 4 times what the budge of the entire movie was, and that if given the opportunity, Sony would absolutely hire an exonerated Vic to continue to print reams of money for them. I think that Sony probably realizes that the best bet is to settle this quietly and tear Funi a new asshole by cleaning shop when it's all over.

No matter which way you slice it, there is no version of this where Sony backs the defendants, and there is no way Sony blesses a smear campaign against someone who would probably gladly make them stupid amounts of money in the future.

damian

Not *cough* Zack.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I’m behind in the main thread so I might be missing some info, but:

As far as I can see and judging from what Nick and Ty talked about in last night’s stream, Sony won’t be getting sued. Sony ran their investigation as a neutral party and found nothing, while Funi did theirs with a clear bias and Vic was immidiately canned.

EDIT:

Seems I was wrong, there was no 2nd investigation done by Funi and they just used Sony’s investigation to imply they found shit on Vic:
That's because there was no second investigation. Funi and the conspiring VA's only phrased things to make you fill in the blank that there was a Jan/Feb investigation in your own mind. Remember Sony came in to do the December 2018 one, because Funi's HR was so dysfunctional that nothing they did could pass legal muster. Funi did not have the capability to do a legit internal investigation. (The fact that we hear reports of Samatha Inoue Harte involved should be the huge corroboration of that.) They were playing word games to somehow give you the impression that the Investigation and Vic's firing were related, and that there was a subsequent second investigation. It would appear to be pure un mitigated bullshit. And this in particular seems to be what winds both Nick and Ty up into the white hot fury that we saw last night.

Last edited:

the autist of dojima

6 words, enought to derail anything you post
kiwifarms.net
They'll press Funi to settle and leave the rest out to dry. This could get expensive, fast. Super Broly cost $8.5 million to make, are you willing to spend that on lawyers and payouts for virtue signaling? The answer is no.

Again, I honestly don't think Sony did anything other than greenlight Funimation not picking Vic back up for future contracts. I think their investigation turned up nothing, so Funimation bitched even louder, and Sony said "fuck it, fine, we don't care just do your goddamn job, we shouldn't have to babysit a Texas company all the way from Japan in regards to a single fucking contractor." They didn't defame him, their investigation by all accounts did not turn anything up, and they have been totally silent on the matter, at least publicly. I think Sony was trying to stay ahead of a #MeToo situation and misjudged it, which is totally understandable in this day and age.

I think that the US release of Super Broly made over 4 times what the budge of the entire movie was, and that if given the opportunity, Sony would absolutely hire an exonerated Vic to continue to print reams of money for them. I think that Sony probably realizes that the best bet is to settle this quietly and tear Funi a new asshole by cleaning shop when it's all over.

No matter which way you slice it, there is no version of this where Sony backs the defendants, and there is no way Sony blesses a smear campaign against someone who would probably gladly make them stupid amounts of money in the future.
I think youre forgetting the fact that sony isnt run by competent or smart people, youre giving them too mutch credit

Burnout

Post no bills
kiwifarms.net
What's got me wondering is that in the complaint it says the Sony exec (forgot her name) informed Vic he'd been fired. Did Funi just ask them to pass on the info?

Wake me up

CωC Club founder
kiwifarms.net
From the Rekieta stream last night: all of Vic's lawsuit targets are being sued as a group, which means that whoever has the cash more readily available gets to pay up now and deal later with how they're going to split the bill. Considering this first lawsuit targets 3 private individuals and 1 corporation (Funimation, bought by Sony for ~$100M), guess who gets to pay the bill?

Nick also theorized last night that what is going to happen is that Funimation pays Vic and then Sony will activate their you-cannot-possibly-fight-us legal team to sue Ron, Monica and the other moron for their part of the money - which would be fun as hell to see happen, considering Monica is expecting Sony's lawyers to drop from the sky to protect them, and not turn on them personally for the better chunk of a million-plus dollars in damages :)

Anyway, I don't have any insight on Sony but Nick has been right on the money so far, so I thought I might as well relay all this.

Also, very minor nitpick but I have to ask, OP: why is Sony "the elephant in the room"?

repentance

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Nick hinted a couple of streams back that a large corporation could eventually be on the target list (Funi isn't large so he had to be talking about Sony) when he was talking about why more funds are going to be needed.

Even the most expensive lawyers in the world can only play the cards they're dealt. Google has lost lawsuits to nobodies with limited funds.

It's Sony's investigation of Vic and his subsequent firing of him which started off the "legitimisation" of the smear campaign against him. The current requests for production could reveal some interesting stuff which is currently unknown and put them firmly in the cross-hairs.

I think an interesting question which arises in terms of Funi - and therefore ultimately Sony - is whether they will try to sever the action so that the lawsuit against them is separated from the one against the et als.

Stoneheart

kiwifarms.net
They will need some serious dirt to go after Sony. Not going to discount the possibility but big companies like Sony create or buy subsidiary corporations like Funimation for this very reason. If there really is a bridge from Funimation to Sony it's possible Funi settles quick and hangs the VAs out to dry.
I can see the Austists at sony going after Funi People.
Sony Japan is also pretty pissed off by Sony US because of the whol.e fuckn SJW crap. they are losing bussines to everybody else because Sony US sperged out about needing more censorship. they are worse than Nintento right now.

Whatevs

kiwifarms.net
Know what costs more than a lawsuit, bad headlines, it doesn't matter how much money Sony has to burn on lawsuits. Can't make back the money bad headlines give a company, stock prices to drop because investors are nervous etc.

So yes, while Sony could burn through millions of dollars in legal fees, a corp is usually going to find a way to settle if they're in the wrong, to avoid bad headlines.

mindlessobserver

kiwifarms.net
Sony Japan is also pretty pissed off by Sony US because of the whol.e fuckn SJW crap. they are losing bussines to everybody else because Sony US sperged out about needing more censorship. they are worse than Nintento right now.
I said it before but is needs repeating. Japan relies on California too much as their gateway into the American market. And that is largely because it's the largest state economy in America and easier to fly too. But the problem emerged that the Japanese multinationals believed the California idiot's they hired to be their advisors on what the US consumers wanted. Hell not even the rest of California outside San Francisco and LA wants what those cities are selling, let alone Texas, Kentucky or Pennsylvania.

I would even argue that the idiocy of the cultural practices in San Francisco and LA is starting to poison the well. Georgia has moved aggressively to steal southern California movie industry, and they are succeeding. Virginia is also moving to steal silicon valley's tech industry. Also succeeding. Why? Because both states are aggressively pro business, and the culture is not overly sanctimonious SJW. Mind you though, this had led to a influx of Californians into both states which is always a danger.

And I am off on a tangent. The point is Japan has been lied too by the idiot's out of California they hired to handle their US based economic interests.

Secret Asshole

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Maybe, who knows? Sony US has had its brain rotted with San Fransisco's shit filled streets. It's new censorship policies are a reflection of that.

Dude Nintendo has no content censorship at all. All Nintendo requires is your game to be rated.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino