Soul Calibur -

I

IV 445

kiwifarms.net
Rather than make a boring OP, let's just get right to it fast.

Talk about your favorite character, why he/she/xe is your fav, moan about clones, frustrating game aspects, and anything else related to OPL's favorite button-mash fest.

Ntwadumela

That takes care of the cremation..
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Here are my mains:
Yunseong and Hwang (in Soul Calibur 1) for their cocky attitudes and mix of Taekwondo kicking techniques and wushu sword strikes
Mitsurugi because he's a badass samurai with deadly moves
Raphael in Soul Calibur II for his classy demeanor and fencing (didn't like the vampire route they went with him in later games)
Maxi because he’s Bruce Lee Elvis, and that’s based AF
ZWEI for his original design and unique style. Summoning a wolf spirit momentarily while having a double-handed sword is definitely something you don't see everyday.

Assassin in Soul Calibur II had both Hwang and Yunseong's moves so I tended to use him a lot.
My favorite games are in order:
Soul Calibur II
Close second three way tie of Soul Calibur V+Soul Calibur I +Soul Calibur IV
Soul Calibur III a distant third , most disappointing game in the franchise IMO

Last edited:

R.A.E.L.

Sugarbaby
kiwifarms.net
I always liked Seong Mi-Na because of her weapon and general carefree attitude. Also love Raphael because he's very entertaining overall.

II is easily my favorite, has the best voice acting (Nightmare's VA in particular is fucking amazing). I enjoyed the "choose your own adventure" theme they added to III's story, though some of the quicktime events were pretty annoying. Outside of character creation V was just one massive disappointment, don't think I need to elaborate.

Last edited:

Dio Brando

Saikou ni HIGH te Yattsu da!!!
kiwifarms.net
The best character was Link :sighduck:

All seriousness though, my personal fave characters to use throughout the series were Kilik, Talim, and Nightmare. If we're talking personalities, Mitsurugi because he's an absolute badass, Algol is my personal favorite boss in the series due to his motives being closer to a tragic villain, and Raphael for his slow progression into insanity (and random af vampirism) just to protect Amy.

Like many, Soulcalibur II was my favorite in the series. Loved the massive amount of content available, from unlocking secret characters, to the Weapon Master mode, the extremely overpowered extra weapons, the beautiful hammy dialogue, laughing at how stupid Necro was. Just an absolutely amazing game.

IV and V were kinda the low points for me. I do still kinda like IV, as I already mentioned, I love Algol, and the Tower of Lost Souls is a guilty pleasure of mine. I still did not enjoy the massive butchering of single-player content, it's pretty sad what little there is to do compared to II. The guest characters were also really lame, only Darth Vader was at least somewhat playable.

As for V, the only good parts about that game were ZWEI and the character creation. Your game has serious issues if your guest character is more finished than 3/4's of the roster.

III was the only entry in the series I've yet to play. Always wanted to, but unfortunately I don't have a PS2 anymore.

c-no

Duck
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As far as favorite characters go:
Arthur from Soul Calibur: Really a reskinned Misturugi but I enjoyed playing as him. He may as well be on here simply for nostalgia purposes.

Talim is a favorite character of mine due to being one of the more good hearted characters, one of her evident moments being her ending in Soul Calibur 4 where she makes it seem like Algol can see his son again.

Maxi became a favorite of mine due to his fighting style along with his finisher in 4 being a kick that looked rather awesome.

I liked how since 3 you could create your own character. Character creation in 5 was the only redeeming aspect since I had more fun trying to make a donut steel OC (whose voice would no doubt be edgy). 3 made it fun in that your custom character had their own mode known as Chronicle of the Sword which was a very lite RTS was only RTS in that you just had to take over some towers and a stronghold (or whatever the other victory conditions were), with the meat of it being a fight between your characters and an NPC who was also custom created.

Compare that to 4 which did lack a gameplay mode like Chronicle of the Sword but at least made up for that with the fact that your custom character could literally be part of the story in being playable fighter whose final boss is Algol. Granted, the ending was simply you get both of the swords with no button prompt that could lead to an alternate ending.

5 is obviously a weak entry thanks to the fact that story mode had you focus on three character you would play rather than letting you pick one character, with each character on the roster having their own endings. Said playable characters in story mode: Patroklos, Phyrra, and Zwei. One of the devs said they could of actually made more of a story mode but they couldn't due to budget related problems. Had they been given a better budget, we could get an endings for other characters such as say Elysium fulfilling it's goal or Cervantes going on as a pirate who don't need no Soul Edge. The only good a custom character was for is just playing arcade mode or playing online against other players.

As for favorite entries: 3, 4, and ironically, 5 are a favorite of mine. 1 was only played in arcade and I never got to play Soul Edge, first game in the series that got a name change in some regions thanks to some douchebag trademarking the word edge.

Edit: Mean't to say Soul Calibur 1. Soul Calibur 2 was a game I remembered when I rented it due to the fact Heihachi Mishima was in it. It was fun playing a shirtless old man beating the shit out of people with his fist. Literally more impractical than Ivy's/Voldo's outfit or Siegfried's greatsword.

Last edited:

LuggerSnake

BEST MATCH!
kiwifarms.net
My favorite mains are Talim, Taki and Maxi.

Personality wise, it would be Raphy and Ivy cause they are classy as fuck

I grew up with II on the Gamecube. It's a favorite of mine.

IV was ok, but it was good none the less.

V, meh. I was never really fond with most of the new characters or the story for that matter. But it was worth buying for Ezio and the character creation.

c-no

Duck
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As far as the series goes, last thing I remembered looking up was how they had some sort of spin-off that lasted for about a year. Nothing of value was lost though due to changing mechanics like getting rid of ring outs. If it removed the ability to hit enemies after beating them, that would be even worse.

Speaking of that, anyone here ever been a douche and just hit a defeated enemy after beating them? It was fun just being that sort of prick.

One thing I also forgot to bring up: was there ever a secret final boss like with Soul Calibur 3? Playing the game a certain path and iirc, not getting a single loss, would have you fight some special opponents like a giant greek statue. Making it up to the final boss brings you to Nightmare who turns into the same creature in his SC3 input ending. Fighting Night Terror mean't you can't ring him out since his wings actually do something. Beaten the guy as Rock and doing it as rock, I pretty much cheesed my way by smashing faces with his ass.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I played the DC one some. Seemed cool. I got that one with Link cheap on clearance, and I keep forgetting to get the one with the sister of the girl from Keroro.
I suppose it says a lot about how little I care about this that I only sorta have an interest in the guest stars. Like that Tekken with Gon.

• Informative
Reactions: Ntwadumela

Ntwadumela

That takes care of the cremation..
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Speaking of that, anyone here ever been a douche and just hit a defeated enemy after beating them? It was fun just being that sort of prick.
I did that every now and then.
That was fun

• Feels
Reactions: c-no

MarkXT9000

kiwifarms.net
There's also Soul Calibur available on ios and android but doesn't have the "challenge mode-esque" mode

Van Darkholme

DEEP ♂DARK ♂FANTASIES
kiwifarms.net
Staff guy (whatever his name was) and Nightmare were my favorites because of how cheap they were. Haven't bothered with the series since 4 and the star wars shit in that was stupid.

Last edited:

Billy_Sama

♂Love and Muscle in Heaven♂
kiwifarms.net
Damn, I been wanting to get out my Dreamcast and play some Soul Calibur and this thread just popped up. Even after so many years its looks, plays, and sounds amazing and a reason to still own a Dreamcast

Intelligent Calcium

kiwifarms.net
Whan I played IV, I liked to pick Raphael, mostly because of his cheesy design. Every other match I would find another bat incorporated somewhere into his costume. Hilde had a cool design but I didn't like her fighting style.

• Informative
Reactions: Ntwadumela

Anchuent Christory

Socially Awesome and Cool.
kiwifarms.net
Nostalgia rush
Some time in the mid-late 90's a grotty little urchin (me) was in a local second-hand type shop looking for cheap Mega Drive games. They had a Playstation set up and this was running on loop.
I shit you not, I just stood there and watched it again and again for ages, it was just about the coolest thing I'd seen in my life at that point.
There's just something about this, to me it perfectly sums up the cheesy exuberance of 90's gaming that made me fall in love with the hobby. Everything is so po-faced nowadays.

A few years later and a dedicated games shop had opened up nearby. I popped in one day and they had a Japanese Dreamcast on display running Soul Calibur.

To this day, that moment is what I associate with the term "generational leap" I couldn't believe how jaw dropping this game looked in motion. Soul Calibur remains one of my all time favourite games, definitely top 5.
Sadly imo, the series just went downhill after that although I do like the third game. I can't actually remember if I played the last one or not.
Was the armour system introduced in the same game where the plot revolves around dead Sophitia's kids?

Dio Brando

Saikou ni HIGH te Yattsu da!!!
kiwifarms.net
Some time in the mid-late 90's a grotty little urchin (me) was in a local second-hand type shop looking for cheap Mega Drive games. They had a Playstation set up and this was running on loop.
I shit you not, I just stood there and watched it again and again for ages, it was just about the coolest thing I'd seen in my life at that point.
There's just something about this, to me it perfectly sums up the cheesy exuberance of 90's gaming that made me fall in love with the hobby. Everything is so po-faced nowadays.

A few years later and a dedicated games shop had opened up nearby. I popped in one day and they had a Japanese Dreamcast on display running Soul Calibur.

To this day, that moment is what I associate with the term "generational leap" I couldn't believe how jaw dropping this game looked in motion. Soul Calibur remains one of my all time favourite games, definitely top 5.
Sadly imo, the series just went downhill after that although I do like the third game. I can't actually remember if I played the last one or not.
Was the armour system introduced in the same game where the plot revolves around dead Sophitia's kids?
iirc, the armor system was first made in IV.

V was the one where shithead Patroklos goes against all sensible advice from Siegfried and ZWEI to save his precious Onee-chan

• Informative
Reactions: Anchuent Christory

Anchuent Christory

Socially Awesome and Cool.
kiwifarms.net
iirc, the armor system was first made in IV.

V was the one where shithead Patroklos goes against all sensible advice from Siegfried and ZWEI to save his precious Onee-chan
Ah right, I guess I did play the last one then.

Says a lot about the games quality when I can't even remember If played it or not, ha.

Tags
None