Soul Calibur -

Dual Rectifier

100 Watt count; 100 dead count
kiwifarms.net
I always loved playing as Sigfried, but could never quite place how objectively good he was compared the roster. I had a few nigglings with V's character creator, especially the strange and unflattering way clothes fit the custom characters; they seemed to have it down in IV, and used the same designs they used in IV, too. So what happened?

Puukalikka

kiwifarms.net
I really enjoyed IV and had few hundred hours on it just because me and my friends just created characters, build stupid stories around them and played against each other. I always liked Siegfried the most, but as Dual Rectifier said, I played it really casually and can't really say how good he actually is, but I liked his moves. I completely stopped playing Sieg in V because he just felt odd in it and then pretty much stopped playing the whole game. I just didn't find it as good or interesting as I found IV. The character creation was lacking, the fights felt much slower and sluggish than in four, there was no real punishment for turtling anymore and they took grabs from block out. I hope that VI comes someday and they spend bit more time on it than they did on V.

Reactions: Anchuent Christory

Coster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
III ranks as my favorite one just because of the massive amounts of singleplayer content available and also as having been the one game where I felt the character creation was done correctly by having quite a lot of fighting styles reserved specifically just for custom characters. It also added to the RPG aspects of the created characters that you couldn't select actual characters' fighting styles right away and had to work yourself up to it.

I also really enjoyed Chronicles of the Sword as just a neat story being told with a similar feel to how Soul's story goes, but also with light RTS elements. It's always bothered me that they never did something like it again, though every year that goes by with no SCVI announcement makes me hope that they're toiling away on a new one in secret and they're putting a lot more effort into it than V had. Those storyboard cutscenes were just downright unforgivable for someone who actually likes the story, not to mention Patroklos is a shitty anime protagonist in a series where I felt archetypes like these have been decently avoided/subverted (though it also doesn't help that his English voice is Yuri Lowenthal).

I have this pipe dream of seeing a remade Soul Blade/Soul Edge, only instead of sticking with the stylistic choices present in the series now they go the full nine yards and make it super campy/arcade-y like the original. Seeing Edge of Soul remade in HD but with the song and everything would make for a great announcement trailer imo.

• Agree
Reactions: Anchuent Christory

Anchuent Christory

Socially Awesome and Cool.
kiwifarms.net
III ranks as my favorite one just because of the massive amounts of singleplayer content available and also as having been the one game where I felt the character creation was done correctly by having quite a lot of fighting styles reserved specifically just for custom characters. It also added to the RPG aspects of the created characters that you couldn't select actual characters' fighting styles right away and had to work yourself up to it.

I also really enjoyed Chronicles of the Sword as just a neat story being told with a similar feel to how Soul's story goes, but also with light RTS elements. It's always bothered me that they never did something like it again, though every year that goes by with no SCVI announcement makes me hope that they're toiling away on a new one in secret and they're putting a lot more effort into it than V had. Those storyboard cutscenes were just downright unforgivable for someone who actually likes the story, not to mention Patroklos is a shitty anime protagonist in a series where I felt archetypes like these have been decently avoided/subverted (though it also doesn't help that his English voice is Yuri Lowenthal).

I have this pipe dream of seeing a remade Soul Blade/Soul Edge, only instead of sticking with the stylistic choices present in the series now they go the full nine yards and make it super campy/arcade-y like the original. Seeing Edge of Soul remade in HD but with the song and everything would make for a great announcement trailer imo.
III Is my second favourite after Soul Calibur ( I internalise Soul Blade/Edge as being outside the series due to it playing so differently)
The thing is, I actually didn't pick it up when it released because I was so disappointied with II and I only ended up playing it after my brother bought it for my birthday.

To me, I and II fell alike and III and IV feel alike, possibly owing to the odd numbers being console exclusives and the others evens being multi plat with platform exclusive characters.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: HIVidaBoheme

DickMcslick

kiwifarms.net
I always liked to play as Sophitia, her launch attacks and leading into an air combo were always fun. Really liked Pyyrha Omega in V, probably more than Sophitia because I'm an edgelord. If they make a VI I hope that they add in Pyyrha Omega again. Regular Pyyrha's moveset isn't as fun and I don't really like her over the top shy personality, gets annoying after a while.

V was quite good mechanically, but I was let down by the lack of single player content and the crappy story mode. If I recall correctly there was supposed to be a lot more but the budget was shafted in favor of Tekken Tag Tournament 2, which hilariously sold slightly less than Soul Calibur V.

Last edited:

Jaded Optimist

Me love you long time
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Interesting. I wonder what the roster will be (please no bumblebee voldo). Guessing no info on the none series special character?

Last edited:

StoneKnightMan

EVIL HITLER WHORE
kiwifarms.net
i wonder what the guest characters will be.

Soulcalibur 2 had link from legend of zelda for gamecube version, spawn for xbox version, and heihachi from tekken for playstation 2 version.

Soulcalibur 4 had darth vader and yoda from star wars.

Soulcalibur 5 had ezio from assassin's creed.

so im wondering what guest character will be added.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Soulcalibur 2 had link from legend of zelda for gamecube version, spawn for xbox version, and heihachi from tekken for playstation 2 version.

Guest characters in fighting games HAS been pretty nuts lately...

c-no

Duck
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
V felt bare bones. I hope they vastly improve VI going forward.
V was definitely barebones. From what I remember, they wanted to make more than what we had but there were budget problems.

About fucking time
I love the Soul series
We can only hope this doesn't end up being like V. And since this is coming to PC, I know what my Steam (or GOG) account will have. I honestly hope they include more for character creation like more hair styles and voice styles.

E

ES 148

kiwifarms.net

Jason Voorhees.

Gator Young Henning

Why hello there!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Mary Lee Walsh

CaptainMappy

heehee shamona
kiwifarms.net
I honestly hope that 6 will be on par or maybe better than 2 was; 2 is definitely the high point of the series IMHO.

1 was probably second best. Also, if you had the Fishing Controller for the Dreamcast you could use it to play SC. Not even kidding.

3 had the introduction of character customization, but the AI can suck my dick.

4 had ZERO balance whatsoever. It honestly felt more like a party game.

5 had balance, but was so bare bones that it wasn't really worth playing unless you were competitive. Soul Calibur has always had a solid amount of single player content.

From the way my mans Mitsurugi looked in the trailer and the presence of Sophitia, it's safe to say that this might end up being a reboot of the series. Seeing as how Tekken 7 turned out as solid as it did, I've got really high hopes for the new Soul Calibur.

Tags
None