Soulbonders - Dr. Sperglove: or How I Learned to Love my Characters -

KingCasio

:ratcock:
kiwifarms.net
Soulbonders are, in short, people who manifest a certain character from a piece of fiction mentally, like a tulpa or imaginary friend.

That's not so bad in theory, but since we're talking about the internet here, most of these "bonders" actually believe that their beloved projections can do at least some of the following:
  1. Interact physically with the world.
  2. Speak to others verbally/mentally.
  3. Aid them in times of need by "fixing" the world around the projector.
  4. Guard them from any kind of harm/hate (sorry, trolls.)
Typical sources of characters are:
  1. Vidja Gaems - YunaSummoner, for example.
  2. OC Characters - doughnut steel.
  3. Fursonas - kinda the same as #2, but common with Otherkin
  4. Animooz - "At least my waifu loves me..."
Most soulbonders have underlying complexes of being spoiled and bratty, especially in scenarios of troll-caused pressure. Also, most of them are either super autists or teenage girls.

Note: People who have created tulpas of characters that they have liked are soulbonders. A good rule of thumb is "not all tulpas are soulbonds, but all soulbonds are tulpas.

A typical soulbounder:

Some links:

http://soulbonding.livejournal.com/
http://voices.intangible-reality.org/
http://childofmana.tripod.com/soulbondingfaq.htm

If you want, I'll go into detail with some more famous soulbonders.

Last edited:

hm yeah

buh ayway
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
ngl, something about soulbonders really gets my feels in a warm and fuzzy way.

i guess that's why i'm pining for wogglebuglover to come back and unleash upon me some more tasty videos professing her love for mr. t.e. wogglebug h.m.

guau

kiwifarms.net
Long ago I wrote in the fanfiction.net post about someone I met there who was off the walls batshit insane, I remember in one chat we had when they would tell me that Maxi from the Soul Calibur series didn't like me because he told them and that they had a SPECIAL PIRATE BOND or whatever. They had many soulbonds to go with whatever they were obsessed about at the time.

Reactions: KingCasio

KingCasio

kiwifarms.net
Long ago I wrote in the fanfiction.net post about someone I met there who was off the walls batshit insane, I remember in one chat we had when they would tell me that Maxi from the Soul Calibur series didn't like me because he told them and that they had a SPECIAL PIRATE BOND or whatever. They had many soulbonds to go with whatever they were obsessed about at the time.
Yeah, that's pretty much how it works. I assume there's tons of Tumblrettes with SEKRET PIRATE BONDZ with Doctor Who or some shit, just because it seems like the perfect storm of autism for something like that to go down.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I remember that guy who was into Princess Peach from Mario. He drew that "It's a map of your eyes I keep getting lost in them" comic?
There was one drawing he did of his week and how his time at work sucks because Peach couldn't be there with him. I never got why he couldn't imagine her as his assistant or something.

Phil Ken Sebben

The Potato Whisperer.
kiwifarms.net
What I don't get, and maybe it's because I'm not batshit crazy, but have these people ever wondered why one of thier soulbound (soulbonded?) characters can also be soulbound to more than one person? And what happens if these two spergs meet? Do their soulbonds recognize each other or does one accuse the other of lying?

Reactions: KingCasio

KingCasio

kiwifarms.net
What I don't get, and maybe it's because I'm not batshit crazy, but have these people ever wondered why one of thier soulbound (soulbonded?) characters can also be soulbound to more than one person? And what happens if these two spergs meet? Do their soulbonds recognize each other or does one accuse the other of lying?
According to an ex-lolcow I know, apperently that happens like, all the time... which means no sperg fights. Dammit.

The_Hissing_Vigilant

True and honest Khajiit
kiwifarms.net
Here's a story from spergland:

I was into that for awhile. It was the last voluntary spergy thing I did. The last voluntary obsessive thought, imaginary freind I had. Since then I have been more grounded and have shed that tulpa-thing.
I actually called it "soul bonding" too. Heck I even made shrines and sacrificed blood. This was a few years ago.
I was in my late-teens to 21 years old.

Than I got out more. Lost 30 lbs. Back to my natural compact, small, slender look.
Than I got more work, set up a landscaping business and and got steady part-time job.
I saved up a few grand.
Than I took highschool requirements for college.
Than I went to across the country to deal with family and tie up loose ends
Than I moved out on my own.
Than I got a scooter, my own transportation
Than I moved from my stupid small town
Than I saved up another few grand so get a motorcycle and licence in the spring
Than I applied for college next fall to take legal studies and polical sciences
And then and then and THEN....and THEN

And THAN.....I didn't need a "soul bond" anymore. Reality is my best friend.
Go out and do shit.

Last edited:

Mechanism Eight

Give us eyes.
kiwifarms.net
Ah, yes, this...

I kind of fell into this shit a loooong time ago. I'm better now, but still hold onto it a teeny bit.

I shamefully admit that it was, in some ways, part of what drove me to write shit and, dare I say, actually improve while doing so. Back when I was into this delusion, I had the tendency to ask my characters (I wasn't willing to use anything/anyone else, knowing I'd get bullshit) all kinds of mundane stuff, and it actually kind of worked in the sense that I managed to get my previously shit-tier characterization skills that hadn't improved since grade school into being infinitely less awful. Basically, the more I "talked" to them, the more developed they became.

Nowadays, I've moved past doing that kind of thing save for very rare occasions when I feel completely stuck, but sometimes look back and wonder just what the fuck I was thinking, and how incredibly fortunate I was to somehow find a way to turn it into something productive at the time instead of just sinking deeper into that mess and losing all connection to reality.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I can't help but wonder if the fanfic writers I've seen in the past, the ones that talk to themselves in their long and interruptive author's notes, were of this breed. I always thought it was supposed to be funny, that they were aiming for comedy when they landed on insane. I'm not so sure now though...

Avocado

i love to improvise
kiwifarms.net
FF7 House is one of my favorite trainwreck stories. I mentioned in another thread that I really wonder where Jen and the rest are now and if they still have their wacky soulbonder mini-cult. :|

As far as creative writing goes, I think it's a pretty common exercise for writers to imagine 'talking' to their characters to get inside their heads, but most probably accept that this is just playing pretend and that your Kingdom Hearts OC is not actually a soul sharing your body.

hm yeah

buh ayway
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
i just have a big hunch that ff7 house is fake, but it sure stuck with me through the ages. i'm actually surprised at how many people read that years ago, too!

Reactions: Avocado

Cure Quanta

Became Pritticurr
kiwifarms.net
I can't help but wonder if the fanfic writers I've seen in the past, the ones that talk to themselves in their long and interruptive author's notes, were of this breed. I always thought it was supposed to be funny, that they were aiming for comedy when they landed on insane. I'm not so sure now though...
Ehhhh...it seems unlikely. I think most of the time when you get somebody like that, it's more like they like to hear themselves talk or have a serious infatuation with Honest Content(tm).

However, you may have something there, at least from my own experiences. I guess I could clear the air too.

I'm the kind of person who will write a character and then just imagine stuff they'd do in their day to day to fill them out, and the real world provides easy inspiration to see how well their personalities and traits stand up. I take coffee, how would they take coffee? I have habits when I sleep, when I have lunch, when I watch TV, they have habits when idle, too. Jim Davis does it all the time with Garfield: whenever he goes on a diet, Garfield goes on a diet. It's easy to channel.

I wonder if this could make being a fic author really easy to slip into this sort of mindset if they felt it was alright? If they had that tenuous connection to reality and didn't nurture it? The fact that picturing a completely fictional character in a form of method acting is a totally legitimate mental tool, is accepted for creative work, and thus, really easy to abuse?

Last edited:

OlympicFapper

kiwifarms.net
I just recently discovered two quite horrifying interlinked stories. The Final Fantasy house and The Sarah Saga.

There's some good reading (or YouTube) for anyone interested.

EDIT: This biohazard suit is too small for my man-titties.

• Horrifying
Reactions: bonitoflakeprincess

Deryn

kiwifarms.net
This is loss of reality, literally the most important sign of autism, people are trying to become autistic on purpose? What the heck.

• Feels
Reactions: Tragi-Chan

Hongourable Madisha

Happy Hongukkah
kiwifarms.net
It's quite common for depressives to feel like the depression is another voice berating them. Not literally hearing voices, but having intrusive thoughts pop into their head without them trying to think them up. That's why a lot of CBT and mindfulness techniques focus on recognising and ignoring the thoughts, calmly arguing back against them, and recognising that you wouldn't let someone else speak to a friend like that so you shouldn't put up with it either. Why anyone would WANT to have that in their head, I don't know. Unless they were depressed and imagined their favourite cartoon character saying nice things to counter the depression, as a coping mechanism instead of getting professional help or confronting it themselves.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: bonitoflakeprincess

bonitoflakeprincess

kiwifarms.net
"it's a multiverse thing"

or perhaps some spirits are real, but have no identity, so they just chose one.

the soulbonding on the notion nothing in creation comes from nothing, there are people who believe anything humans make has some guidance from supernatural or metaphysical elements.

I have found most soulbonders have D.I.D

or an egregore type thing

Tags
None