Souls Thread: Dark Souls, Demon Souls, Bloodborne -

BroccoliBrain

my corpus callosum is green
kiwifarms.net
I've been doing a DS3 run and I have a weird experience to relate. I was going through the game normally and at Farron Keep, I went after the Abyss Watchers, only for a Darkwraith from outside to follow me into the room. He then started meleeing the Watchers and completely kicked their ass, basically no-selling the entire first half of the boss for me.

Absolutely bizarre.
I think there's a vid out there to document that cheese
Abyss Watchers are for bullying

BroccoliBrain

kiwifarms.net
Hopefully soon I will finally play Bloodborne.
This just made me think: cloud gaming sounds exceptional to me, unless I can play something cross platform. It's highly unlikely I will ever get a PS4 just for that game but, assuming we all have magically perfect internet, I would pay to be able for some console out there to accept inputs from the controller hooked up to my PC to be able play it.

• Agree
Reactions: Dom Cruise

Jaimas

Give 'Em the Crab Jab
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This just made me think: cloud gaming sounds exceptional to me, unless I can play something cross platform. It's highly unlikely I will ever get a PS4 just for that game but, assuming we all have magically perfect internet, I would pay to be able for some console out there to accept inputs from the controller hooked up to my PC to be able play it.
Sony may be bringing that to Steam eventually, or so speaks recent movements. They've had something reserved for it on Steam since a few years back.

Super Hans

kiwifarms.net
Bloodborne is on PS Now, which you can use on PC. I've heard almost nothing but bitching about the service, but if you have decent internet and live near one of Sony's data centers it seems like a great deal.

• Agree
Reactions: Tour of Italy

kekstern

Your Uncle
kiwifarms.net
DS2 gets way too much shit in my opinion. While some of it's fair (Shrine of Amana comes to mind.), I feel like a lot of the criticism it gets is just jumping on the hate train.

BroccoliBrain

kiwifarms.net
Bloodborne is on PS Now, which you can use on PC. I've heard almost nothing but bitching about the service, but if you have decent internet and live near one of Sony's data centers it seems like a great deal.
Just goes to show how behind the times I am. Noice.

Jaimas

Give 'Em the Crab Jab
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
DS2 gets way too much shit in my opinion. While some of it's fair (Shrine of Amana comes to mind.), I feel like a lot of the criticism it gets is just jumping on the hate train.
The most angry, hate-filled critics of DS2 are those who initially loved the game, only for it to fuck them.

The devs didn't give a shit to fix problems that were allowed to persist for years of real time (and the ones they fucked up in their own patches), and never actually did even token quality of life improvements. Shit like sin forgiveness in DS2 doesn't work and never has. There's no whole orbs at all. The Red and Blue arena are fundamentally broken. The progression for both the Blood Brotherhood and Blue Sentinels is also broken. All of this would be easy to fix and it just wasn't. SM is an objectively worse matchmaking paradigm than SL and doesn't stop twinks but no one cared to change it to the one the entire community would have liked better.

No one cared, save for the people who actually loved the game, and they got fucked the hardest.

kekstern

Your Uncle
kiwifarms.net
The most angry, hate-filled critics of DS2 are those who initially loved the game, only for it to fuck them.

The devs didn't give a shit to fix problems that were allowed to persist for years of real time (and the ones they fucked up in their own patches), and never actually did even token quality of life improvements. Shit like sin forgiveness in DS2 doesn't work and never has. There's no whole orbs at all. The Red and Blue arena are fundamentally broken. The progression for both the Blood Brotherhood and Blue Sentinels is also broken. All of this would be easy to fix and it just wasn't. SM is an objectively worse matchmaking paradigm than SL and doesn't stop twinks but no one cared to change it to the one the entire community would have liked better.

No one cared, save for the people who actually loved the game, and they got fucked the hardest.
This is a fair point. I still love the game though.

• Agree
Reactions: Jaimas

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think Dark Souls 2 is better than 1. The only thing 1 has over 2 are better boss battles excluding Artorias who I find overrated. Kalameet was a far more interesting boss.

Jaimas

Give 'Em the Crab Jab
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is a fair point. I still love the game though.
It has a lot to love. So many things are implemented better, and DS2 has some of the best armor and equipment designs in the entire series. While a lot of people give DS2 shit for cheap bushwhacks (a justified criticism) and really questionable boss design (ditto), the environment design and the things DS2 does right help a lot. Sir Alonne, the last boss I was able to fight before magic was patched into complete uselessness was one of the most fun fights I've had in the entire series, engaging in single combat using my chosen combat style (Greatshield and Greatsword) and wearing him down using it.

The key problem is that it would have taken very little to turn a good game into an excellent one, and that simply was never done. It sucks because DS2 was absolutely worth it and probably would be remembered as the best game in the series if those small steps had been taken.

• Agree
Reactions: kekstern

Namesarehardtocomeupwith

Party like it's 1999
kiwifarms.net
I think Dark Souls 2 is better than 1. The only thing 1 has over 2 are better boss battles excluding Artorias who I find overrated. Kalameet was a far more interesting boss.
Better level design too. The only place that I remember from ds2 was shrine of amala and that was because sotfs made it so that you get smacked with magic constantly from 20 meters away. It's because the level of ds2 was mostly self contain and there's little to no connectivity between them so none of them really stood out.
Power stance was a really nice mechanics though, wonder why they got rid of it.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Better level design too. The only place that I remember from ds2 was shrine of amala and that was because sotfs made it so that you get smacked with magic constantly from 20 meters away. It's because the level of ds2 was mostly self contain and there's little to no connectivity between them so none of them really stood out.
Power stance was a really nice mechanics though, wonder why they got rid of it.
It also offered additional challenge once you got to NG+ with the Spider and more phantoms in certain spots.

Tags
None