Souls Thread: Dark Souls, Demon Souls, Bloodborne -

c-no

I Love Me Some White Sauce
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
On the topic of souls-like had anyone played the other stuff in the subgenre? The one with the d2 ish vibe and soundtrack was pretty cool but I played it on launch so the damned game crashed after every boss leaving me with a trophy but having to refight them anyway.
I played Lords of the Fallen, a mediocre clone that was fun at first but after boss 2, the rest of the game starts to feel off. The Surge and The Surge 2 were by far improvements in terms of Germans trying to do their own Souls style game. Aside from those, there's Salt & Sanctuary. A 2D metroidvania mixed with Dark Souls style combat. Was interested in it after @Jaimas shared a video of him fighting the prologue boss and after that, I managed to get it on Steam and had beaten it about two or three times.

I played Lords of the Fallen, a mediocre clone that was fun at first but after boss 2, the rest of the game starts to feel off. The Surge and The Surge 2 were by far improvements in terms of Germans trying to do their own Souls style game. Aside from those, there's Salt & Sanctuary. A 2D metroidvania mixed with Dark Souls style combat. Was interested in it after @Jaimas shared a video of him fighting the prologue boss and after that, I managed to get it on Steam and had beaten it about two or three times.
Yeah Lords of the Fallen, that's what I played. I also started the surge but life his you hard out of nowhere and I have to wait to pick up games again. I haven't tried salt and sanctuary yet but I'll give them a shot. I've platinumed pretty much everything from software has made but I'm not looking forward to the demons souls port, I hate that company doing it.

Jaimas

HUP HUP HUP HUP
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Salt and Sanctuary leading off with a supposed-to-lose fight against a Cthulhu-esque abomination (that you can win if you have the balls) is a wonderful declaration of intent. Easily my favorite Soulslike and definitely the one that gets the most right, with solid worldbuilding, level and boss design, and gameplay.

Dreamer

Cube Snek
kiwifarms.net
On the topic of souls-like had anyone played the other stuff in the subgenre? The one with the d2 ish vibe and soundtrack was pretty cool but I played it on launch so the damned game crashed after every boss leaving me with a trophy but having to refight them anyway.
Imo most souls-likes fail miserably because they focus on combat over exploration and even this they do wrong.
Dark Souls combat works because its simple, deadly and varied. most enemies have unique movesets/quirks you have to figure out and after that's done they can be beaten using the same tactic every time, usually in a couple of hits. This is not the challenge of Dark Souls.
The real challenge is recognizing traps an ambushes, getting to know enemies/bosses, actually figuring out a method of beating them and resource management.
Unfortunately most small/indie game studios simply don't have the resources to pull that off; level design is hard and time consuming, same with creating/balancing items and resources, same with creating unique enemies.
So they focus on combat, because that's repeatable and relatively easy in comparison.

Case in point, Mortal Shell released recently and while combat is arguably much better than DS ever was the game wasn't received all that well because there is 0 exploration, enemy/weapon/location variety is pretty bad, and as good as the combat is, its still just as repetitive as DS but more drawn out.

The only actually good souls like is Salt & Sanctuary, mostly because its 2D and so not as resource intensive to do right.

c-no

I Love Me Some White Sauce
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah Lords of the Fallen, that's what I played. I also started the surge but life his you hard out of nowhere and I have to wait to pick up games again. I haven't tried salt and sanctuary yet but I'll give them a shot. I've platinumed pretty much everything from software has made but I'm not looking forward to the demons souls port, I hate that company doing it.
One other clone I forgot to mention was Nioh. It was also a fun clone that feels like its the closest in being balanced with combat and the like. Granted getting some magic can make thr game easy to cheese in some cases and the DLC also turns the table in having enemies that can fuck you up much more easily.

Peep Plops

kiwifarms.net
All I know is after plowing through Nioh 1 & 2 going back to the sluggish "classic" souls style combat in games such as mortal shell does not feel like a welcoming proposition. Also this is very autistic but I hate the stupid animation in Mortal Shell where the main character swings his sword by the blade. Like why, why would you ever? Even if you're a rotting pile of meat, swinging the sword by the blade seems like the most retarded thing imaginable and would result in you slicing your own fingers off.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Imo most souls-likes fail miserably because they focus on combat over exploration and even this they do wrong.
Dark Souls combat works because its simple, deadly and varied. most enemies have unique movesets/quirks you have to figure out and after that's done they can be beaten using the same tactic every time, usually in a couple of hits. This is not the challenge of Dark Souls.
The real challenge is recognizing traps an ambushes, getting to know enemies/bosses, actually figuring out a method of beating them and resource management.
Unfortunately most small/indie game studios simply don't have the resources to pull that off; level design is hard and time consuming, same with creating/balancing items and resources, same with creating unique enemies.
So they focus on combat, because that's repeatable and relatively easy in comparison.

Case in point, Mortal Shell released recently and while combat is arguably much better than DS ever was the game wasn't received all that well because there is 0 exploration, enemy/weapon/location variety is pretty bad, and as good as the combat is, its still just as repetitive as DS but more drawn out.

The only actually good souls like is Salt & Sanctuary, mostly because its 2D and so not as resource intensive to do right.
There's a load of retarded souls fans who think combat and realistic tactics is the most important part of any souls game. Like they're a cut above normal gamers because everything they play is FUCKING EXTREME and they're COMBAT FOCUSED.

But boy oh boy, try to get them to go after the collectibles in Souls games like rings and the non-vital weapons, they have a hell of a fucking hard time navigating shit. So it's no surprise that mortal shell went that route, it's a souls game designed by people who just scratched the surface of them and didn't bother diving deep to learn the ins and the outs of the genre.

Or better yet having them put their money where their mouth is with them wanting constant unstoppable action and watching them play bullet hell games. Shmups are probably the most mechanically perfected genre, and it's a nightmare for them to play. I remember seeing one guy who lost it because you had to use bombs to defend yourself against screen filling projectiles. he screamed about how in a real situation you would do a barrel roll (he meant corkscrew but people call those barrel rolls because of star fox). But dogfighting isn't even a thing with modern aircraft anymore.

JektheDumbass

kiwifarms.net
All I know is after plowing through Nioh 1 & 2 going back to the sluggish "classic" souls style combat in games such as mortal shell does not feel like a welcoming proposition. Also this is very autistic but I hate the stupid animation in Mortal Shell where the main character swings his sword by the blade. Like why, why would you ever? Even if you're a rotting pile of meat, swinging the sword by the blade seems like the most retarded thing imaginable and would result in you slicing your own fingers off.

pjimage-5-1-640x344.jpg

EDIT:
There's a load of retarded souls fans who think combat and realistic tactics is the most important part of any souls game. Like they're a cut above normal gamers because everything they play is FUCKING EXTREME and they're COMBAT FOCUSED.

But boy oh boy, try to get them to go after the collectibles in Souls games like rings and the non-vital weapons, they have a hell of a fucking hard time navigating shit. So it's no surprise that mortal shell went that route, it's a souls game designed by people who just scratched the surface of them and didn't bother diving deep to learn the ins and the outs of the genre.

Or better yet having them put their money where their mouth is with them wanting constant unstoppable action and watching them play bullet hell games. Shmups are probably the most mechanically perfected genre, and it's a nightmare for them to play. I remember seeing one guy who lost it because you had to use bombs to defend yourself against screen filling projectiles. he screamed about how in a real situation you would do a barrel roll (he meant corkscrew but people call those barrel rolls because of star fox). But dogfighting isn't even a thing with modern aircraft anymore.

Lol. My favorite part of dark souls is collecting all the rings, weapons, and armor sets. I don't use 90% of them but it satisfies my hoarder urges.

Last edited:

Dreamer

Cube Snek
kiwifarms.net
unnamed.jpg

That's an actual medieval technique, used to break through armor with the hilt guard or the pommel. Kinda like a pickaxe or a hammer.
And no, you're not going to cut yourself, especially if you have gloves on.

Edit: lol timing

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1553695
That's an actual medieval technique, used to break through armor with the hilt guard or the pommel. Kinda like a pickaxe or a hammer.
And no, you're not going to cut yourself, especially if you have gloves on.

Edit: lol timing
it's also retarded because halberds/poleaxes did the same exact shit, except you got to keep yourself at a distance which why they were preferred over swords and you didn't need to turn your weapon around after to get to your stabby bit since everything was on the same end with a halberd.

The pommel techniques are the equivalent to using early linux, because better more sound alternatives existed already that did everything better.

Peep Plops

kiwifarms.net
Since people who actually seem to know things have come and corrected me on my moronity I'd just like to add that I still don't like Mortal Shell. It just feels floaty, slow and really dated design-wise. The enviroments and the voice acting (esp. the main baddie) are really good but the core gameplay I feel I've already experienced a dozen times over, and in most cases, better realized.

Dreamer

Cube Snek
kiwifarms.net
it's also retarded because halberds/poleaxes did the same exact shit, except you got to keep yourself at a distance which why they were preferred over swords and you didn't need to turn your weapon around after to get to your stabby bit since everything was on the same end with a halberd.

The pommel techniques are the equivalent to using early linux, because better more sound alternatives existed already that did everything better.
Not really. i mean sure, other weapons were more effective against armor but usually in battle it would be a few knights and a hundred peasants vs the same comp.
So a knight would usually fight normies with maybe chain-mail if they were lucky.
Swords were relatively easy to make, hard to break, versatile, and deadly against unarmored trash, if you wanted to fight a knight you'll just switch weapons or use the technique in a pinch.
Since people who actually seem to know things have come and corrected me on my moronity I'd just like to add that I still don't like Mortal Shell. It just feels floaty, slow and really dated design-wise. The enviroments and the voice acting (esp. the main baddie) are really good but the core gameplay I feel I've already experienced a dozen times over, and in most cases, better realized.
I agree, mostly because of what i said earlier about souls-likes in general. I like the hardening and i like that you commit a fucking lot to attacks, but without enemy AI, variety and so on its just not good. I don't judge graphics anymore since everything looks good nowadays but i liked the character designs a lot tho. Environment felt slapped together.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Not really. i mean sure, other weapons were more effective against armor but usually in battle it would be a few knights and a hundred peasants vs the same comp.
So a knight would usually fight normies with maybe chain-mail if they were lucky.
Swords were relatively easy to make, hard to break, versatile, and deadly against unarmored trash, if you wanted to fight a knight you'll just switch weapons or use the technique in a pinch.
I was thinking more or less thinking 1 on 1, I mean a well armored Calvary would just decimate peasants.

Dreamer

Cube Snek
kiwifarms.net
I was thinking more or less thinking 1 on 1, I mean a well armored Calvary would just decimate peasants.
In that case you're absolutely right, knights would much rather use blunt weapons or try to squeeze a blade between armor parts than fuck around with a sword.
Not the right tool for a job.

Snekposter

Hiding from the Frontier fallout.
kiwifarms.net
Ugh, a detour.... Keep in mind that by the time plate armor was around in any serious quantity even just for nobles medieval armies had started to professionalize, so you had plenty of trained men-at-arms for infantry as opposed to just levied peasants... and they were equipped quite well. Chain was considered a basic essential as soon as it could be mass-produced (which was the 1300's), and by the 1400's brigandine was the most common wear for men at arms (not just the torso, but over the arms and legs as well), being superseded by standardized, mass-production ordnance plate in the 1500's. Steel was still quite expensive and mostly reserved for the upper classes even then, but iron works just fine for armor as the ironclad ships of the late 1800's demonstrated.

Sable

DANGEROUSLY WAITING FOR MORE 2HUS
kiwifarms.net
That was just a way to use a sword as shown by a combat manual.

There's a lot of romance about swords because of things like Excalibur (similar to the endless fapping over 1000-fold katanas by weebs) but at the point when armour was more advanced (and before the eventual lack of armour allowed cavalry to use sabres I guess) the sword was more of a side weapon like a handgun is today.

It's all a moot point anyway, you were 95% more likely to die shitting yourself to death from disease trying to take some walled city or castle than being...weaponed to death.

This is off topic though, and just makes me hope that we get Elden Ring news next month.

Burned Man

Trans-Legion burnedgender Mormankin
kiwifarms.net
I think the only Soulslike I played that stands out to me that I played was Ashen. Something about it caught my interest and got me to play it. Its more coop focused and you always have an ai companion if you are playing alone. I played through it with my friend and I'd say its more exploration focused then combat focused. There is more platforming and nooks and crannies and fewer bosses then the normal souls expirence.

I guess there's also Nioh but I kind of consider that far enough removed that it is its own thing.

Thomas Talus

kiwifarms.net
I think the point is that if you're employing Mordhau it's because you don't have a pole weapon in your hand, you have a sword.

Urbanmech

Got an AC 10 and not afraid to use it!
kiwifarms.net
Anyone got any suggestions for fun builds to play through the trilogy+DLCs with? Was thinking maybe try Battle Axe to Greataxe build since the GA has reach issues and such. Wanted to do sorcery but I heard the DLCs are not very friendly to Magic especially in 2.