Souls Thread: Dark Souls, Demon Souls, Bloodborne -

BananaSplit

kiwifarms.net
I'm not a fan of the remake with how Bluepoint took too much liberal decisions on the designs of monsters, such as gargoyles made of literal stone instead of the initial black demonic-looking skin (on par with the other deformed humans present in the same area like the Mind Flayers and Centipedes) or making Vanguard looks like an escaped prisoner and not a sort-of demon general. It also looks like the devs slapped too much extra details and things in the level maps that weren't present in the original too.

It feels more like it's meant to show off the capabilities of the PS5 rather than actually respecting the artistic vision and lore of the original work.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
It feels more like it's meant to show off the capabilities of the PS5 rather than actually respecting the artistic vision and lore of the original work.
When has Bluepoint ever not changed shit visually to make stuff look brighter, lively, and more clearly visible? They did the same to the SOTC remake. They did however restore Flamelurker's original head. And it's kind of hard to respect Demon's Souls artistic integrity since they had numerous development issues with it(remember it was supposed to compete with Elder Scrolls: Oblivion) so it had a very chaotic birth and shit had to be slapped on or cut out literally last minute. DES was a proof of concept and if you're remaking it, it makes more sense to fix the mechanical issues that plagued it above all else before you even start getting to the artistic stuff.

What needs to be known is if the assorted dupe glitches are going to still be intact because if it's not, then this is going to be way harder than the original. Unless they also decide to change how drop rates work and not have the crystal lizards permanently despawn for Darkmoon and Moonlight.

A welcome change would be to have all crafting mats made available in a far saner way or being able to fix Character and World Tendency far more easier.

Bosses are not the hard or challenging part of DES, it's the item collecting.

Also really Demon's Souls Lore? Nobody respects the Soulsborne lore to begin with not even the Developers, it's the Calvinball of fantasy lore.

Last edited:

Sigma

Eighteen Inches
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The maiden in black has cum eyes in the remake
unknown (15).png

c-no

I Love Me Some White Sauce
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
When has Bluepoint ever not changed shit visually to make stuff look brighter, lively, and more clearly visible? They did the same to the SOTC remake. They did however restore Flamelurker's original head. And it's kind of hard to respect Demon's Souls artistic integrity since they had numerous development issues with it(remember it was supposed to compete with Elder Scrolls: Oblivion) so it had a very chaotic birth and shit had to be slapped on or cut out literally last minute. DES was a proof of concept and if you're remaking it, it makes more sense to fix the mechanical issues that plagued it above all else before you even start getting to the artistic stuff.

What needs to be known is if the assorted dupe glitches are going to still be intact because if it's not, then this is going to be way harder than the original. Unless they also decide to change how drop rates work and not have the crystal lizards permanently despawn for Darkmoon and Moonlight.

A welcome change would be to have all crafting mats made available in a far saner way or being able to fix Character and World Tendency far more easier.

Bosses are not the hard or challenging part of DES, it's the item collecting.

Also really Demon's Souls Lore? Nobody respects the Soulsborne lore to begin with not even the Developers, it's the Calvinball of fantasy lore.
Much as some details can be off for some, the game itself was pretty much a lost cause for From Software that it managed to be a vehicle for Miyazaki to make a game he wanted. As for lore, one thing I can remember from reading an interview was that the devs never did focus much on the lore until after they were done with the other stuff. Everything for pretty much just follows after they made the environment and all the objects in it for you to collect and fight. The only lore that may as well be definite is at least just what they put in item descriptions and cutscenes until they make a retcon or flat out tell people what the lore really is, such as a Gwyn having a daughter no one knew about and that the pygmies actually fought against the dragons.

Interview itself:

General Story​

Isomura: How did you come up with the story?

Miyazaki: What do you mean?

Murohashi: For example, did you start building the game around the story, or the other way around?

Miyazaki: Basically, we worked on the story afterwards. We started with the layout of the game itself with minimum story around it. It's "story for the game" before "game for the story" for me, so as long as it meets the game's requirements in order to create immersion for the player, it's all good. I wanted the player to experience the story, so we did not focus on making a linear storyline. I don't want to tell the story: I prefer the players to unravel it by using their imagination and our hints.

Isomura: So the "lack" of story was planned afterall?

Miyazaki: Yes, I don't want to make a game that chases the story, so we refrained from putting in too much information and the hints were made vague in order to make the player "become one with the story". We just provided information in certain areas to help stimulate the player's imagination. So… for those who want to know the story, there are lots of hints. The question is, where to find them? A lot of information is written here and there in item descriptions. If they want to know more, I would like the players to read them.

Murohashi: The story alone would make a good product alone. I would love to read everything in one go!

Miyazaki: Well, the text isn't always helpful, so it might not appeal to some.

Buddy Booth

kiwifarms.net
Hmmmm.

Em08inBVgAAufIH.png

Getting some strong "Nintendo, hire this man" vibes from this remake.
I dunno, from a technical standpoint it looks very good, but some of the redesigns are just bad/generic in my opinion. Like the fat official.

fat.jpg

Meh. They went for a more horror/gross direction with many of the redesign and it just kinda falls flat for me.
It would've been nice to have the original as a bonus with the remake as a download or whatever, maybe upscaled to 4k, just so it's not stuck forever on the PS3, but alas.

c-no

I Love Me Some White Sauce
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I dunno I think it's a trade off, in exchange for her patches for eyes, she now has fluffy hair.
Honestly, she doesn't really look too bad. I can also imagine coomers wanting to get their hands on both versions. That said, other characters would be hit harder by the redesign in some way. Patches does look like he needs a fedora and neckbeard to compliment his hatred of clerics and looking like a possible sex offender while Stockpile Thomas's hair looks a bit out of place for a middle aged man that was previously balding with a widow's peak. It looks more like a hairstyle suited for Dragon Age than Demon's Souls.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
So how bad did they screw DeS up?
They didn't.

People have some quibbles over the art direction but in general it's being placed within the top 3 of Souls games. They made some Quality of Life Improvements(it takes roughly 5-10 minutes to get a pure bladestone), made the combat more responsive, got rid of material farming, made World and Character tendency more understandable, and added a few secrets to the mix (i.e. the locked door that people tried to get behind and once they did the platform has a huge invisible box around it).

There's also new shortcuts that have opened up due to the hitboxes being finely tuned, you can walk around the edge of the spiral tower and go directly to maneaters now.

BrunoMattei

No I am not the Cinema Snob
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They didn't.

People have some quibbles over the art direction but in general it's being placed within the top 3 of Souls games. They made some Quality of Life Improvements(it takes roughly 5-10 minutes to get a pure bladestone), made the combat more responsive, got rid of material farming, made World and Character tendency more understandable, and added a few secrets to the mix (i.e. the locked door that people tried to get behind and once they did the platform has a huge invisible box around it).

There's also new shortcuts that have opened up due to the hitboxes being finely tuned, you can walk around the edge of the spiral tower and go directly to maneaters now.

I would give that a shot. Because the hit-detection and input were absolute dog shit. Is there 8 way directional rolling or is it still 4-way?

Naamaleipuri

Has ugly pecs that creep everybody out
kiwifarms.net
I managed to get myself a PS5 (by pure luck and living in a backwater country, while I was visiting a backwater city's supermarket).
So of course I bought my favorite souls game remade!
The graphics are amazing, the sound design is beautiful, all the quirky controls with the weapon light+heavy combos are there, you can actually climb ladders faster than a snail and they've even kept most of the exploit shortcuts.
There's just one thing.
They got most of the original voice actors back and they do a great job, except the Maiden in Black. The main character. Waifu. Best Girl. Evetta Muradasilova sounds just so phoned in it's really annoying.
She lacks the lisp and the awkward pronunciation from 11 years back and it. sounds. boring. Her whole character was that she was just trying to human, and it was endearing.
I can't believe that no big soulstubers have made a video analyzing this fact.

Oh yeah... Soulstubers never played Demon's Souls when it first came out.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
I managed to get myself a PS5 (by pure luck and living in a backwater country, while I was visiting a backwater city's supermarket).
So of course I bought my favorite souls game remade!
The graphics are amazing, the sound design is beautiful, all the quirky controls with the weapon light+heavy combos are there, you can actually climb ladders faster than a snail and they've even kept most of the exploit shortcuts.
There's just one thing.
They got most of the original voice actors back and they do a great job, except the Maiden in Black. The main character. Waifu. Best Girl. Evetta Muradasilova sounds just so phoned in it's really annoying.
She lacks the lisp and the awkward pronunciation from 11 years back and it. sounds. boring. Her whole character was that she was just trying to human, and it was endearing.
I can't believe that no big soulstubers have made a video analyzing this fact.

Oh yeah... Soulstubers never played Demon's Souls when it first came out.
I think any voice acting for any game is fucked somehow for the immediate future. Until corona bullshit is going away nobody wants to spend hours in a recording studio.

Naamaleipuri

Has ugly pecs that creep everybody out
kiwifarms.net
I think any voice acting for any game is fucked somehow for the immediate future. Until corona bullshit is going away nobody wants to spend hours in a recording studio.
Yeah, I get that, but they added no new lines for the Maiden. Why didn't they just use the originals? Her new lines just hurt my ears...
"Art thou done?" she asked with that uncertain quirk I just can't explain, has been changed to "Art thou finished?" which sounds extremely awkward. Like Chris Chan trying to write Hamlet. Her dialogue is cringe worthy.

Lemurakk

kiwifarms.net
I don't think it has been mentioned that Nioh 2 Complete Edition, which is the game prepackaged with all 3 expansions, has been announced for ps4 and pc and is scheduled to be released february 5th, 2021.

I know there's a nioh 2 thread, but I thought people here might care, also that thread is dead.