Souls Thread: Dark Souls, Demon Souls, Bloodborne -

Florence

Living rent free in APC
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah then I'm gonna skip it. My reaction time is pretty shit and being forced to do that is just fucking terrible.

Going to finish my NG+ on DS1.
It’s not as bad as it sounds, honestly — you get more iframes rolling in DS3, and you only start fatrolling at 70% equip load.

Panama

kiwifarms.net
Yeah then I'm gonna skip it. My reaction time is pretty shit and being forced to do that is just fucking terrible.

Going to finish my NG+ on DS1.
You're way more maneuverable in DS3, and you get a lot more iframes, so you dont feel as tanky as DS1. Remember as well that you can sprint in any direction while still locked on. Outside of elemental damage, there are a couple of early game shields that are pretty fantastic for damage absorption. Just keep moving, keep your load under 70, use the knight or kite shield, and don't let yourself get surrounded. Since you're so much more agile than in DS1 or DS2, you can actually run past a large number of enemies instead of trying to completely clear an area. They have pretty small aggro ranges, and won't chase you halfway across the map.
As far as reaction timing goes, don't even worry about parrying. I've beaten DS3 a couple times, and I still can't parry for shit.
Keep at it, DS3 is a great game.

JektheDumbass

kiwifarms.net
Disclaimer: I can't pvp for shit and usually get my ass reamed when invaded.

If you want to feel tanky use an ultra greatsword. Poise has been nerfed but it's hard for most enemies to interrupt your attacks.

I can't parry either, I'm good at ds1 parrying but I can't parry in 2 or 3 for some reason.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
I played around 15+ hours of Nioh 2 with the big sword build. So far it kinda feels uneven, like the start was a nightmare but after the cave snake that gave me huge amount of trouble I'm basically sprinting the game since the sword has a huge amount of damage and an obscene reach (and I'm pretty sure the AI has trouble dealing with it). I like the demon attacks that give you a lot more variance in battle. The demon counter attack mechanic feels badly implemented since most of the time you need to eat a hit to trigger it and I still don't understand if you can use it mid-enemy attack or only at the start.
I kinda wish the game had more human enemies with good AI rather than throwing massive amount of demon enemies that don't really have the stamina mechanic.
Also the demon realm idea can suck a dick, in the middle of the map it's at least kind of nice break of pace. But in the middle of a boss it is just annoying.

The one thing that really sucks is the plot. Like, I need to play the billionth rendition of Nobunaga's rise and fall and the main character's plot doesn't seem to go anywhere. At least the previous game had a villain and a main character with agency.

Trusty Patches

Are you a cleric or something?
kiwifarms.net
Did they patch out the Gold Coin trick for the DES remake or is it still in there?
Yea, i believe that's been patched now.

What hasn't been fixed is that there is absolutely no weapon matchmaking. So I can go invade a new player who just started their character while I am using a +5 or +10 weapon and then 2-shot them with a fucking katana. It's so stupid.
Also magic still insanely OP.
This is why I'm already back to playing DS3.

Any kiwis in here play DS3 pvp? We should get some 2v2s going!

Trashfire Garbagefuck

Hot Carl
kiwifarms.net
The resolution is shit but here's what's leaked so far of Elden Ring

It's literally just Dark Souls 4 with a different setting so they don't need ANOTHER chosen undead to keep the status quo for another thousand years. Even the animations and spells are the same. Though it seems you can sneak and ride horses now. I suppose even if the controls and boss fights are the same, the level design could change the overall experience. It definitely looks more open outside but we didn't see much of the dungeons. Should be fun regardless but I guess we'll see next year or whenever. I like the aesthetic and monster designs in general, and the graphics seem nice, but it's too hard to tell for sure without a proper trailer. Fuckin love that creature at 0:55 and the boss at the very end.

DapperShark

kiwifarms.net
The resolution is shit but here's what's leaked so far of Elden Ring

It's literally just Dark Souls 4 with a different setting so they don't need ANOTHER chosen undead to keep the status quo for another thousand years. Even the animations and spells are the same. Though it seems you can sneak and ride horses now. I suppose even if the controls and boss fights are the same, the level design could change the overall experience. It definitely looks more open outside but we didn't see much of the dungeons. Should be fun regardless but I guess we'll see next year or whenever. I like the aesthetic and monster designs in general, and the graphics seem nice, but it's too hard to tell for sure without a proper trailer. Fuckin love that creature at 0:55 and the boss at the very end.
From what I've seen elsewhere it's apparently a very old internal build trailer and wasn't meant to ever be released, still nice to see something after going so long without news, probably the only AAA game I'm still excited about.

Islamic Creampie

kiwifarms.net
The Souls formula in general is getting old, but an open world and all that could help jazz it up. My biggest problem with DS3 was how bland and grey everything was.

I'd still like to see From do something else, but I think they know what makes them money.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
The Souls formula in general is getting old, but an open world and all that could help jazz it up. My biggest problem with DS3 was how bland and grey everything was.

I'd still like to see From do something else, but I think they know what makes them money.
An armored core game wouldn't sell, it would suffer the same fate as the previous ones.

The Demon Pimp of Razgriz

Still Pimpin
kiwifarms.net
I mean, they could do something else besides Armored Core. I mean, they've actually dipped their toe into quite a few game types and genres. Even within the realm of mecha piloting games, they've done more than just Armored Core.

Last edited:

Snekposter

Hiding from the Frontier fallout.
kiwifarms.net
I'd love to see some Armored Core hit PC. Maybe it would finally get PGI to actually put some work into MechWarrior instead of coasting along.

Islamic Creampie

kiwifarms.net
Give us a new horror game. My copy of Kuon needs a little more light on it for the newer games so the price can go up even more.

Seriously though, I'd love to see another game styled like that.

Jaimas

HUP HUP HUP HUP
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So a while ago, my Landlord gave me a PS3 and said that if I could get it working, I could keep it.

So I did. Part replacement here and there and now I have a functioning PS3, just in time for PSN's servers to go offline for the console for good. Fun times! But the best part is that I finally was able to get a copy of Demon's Souls classic, and was able to play it for the first time in like 14 years.

Playing this game after playing other Souls titles is a fucking trip, let me tell you. Unless you'd played King's Field or Evergrace there really wasn't anything like this, and neither of those games was really comparable to Demon's Souls. The lighting engine barely works, the game's encounter design is questionable, and yet everything else just hits it out of the park. It's way better than it has any right to be, even with how primitive and jank it is. Coming back to the Vanguard and just having absolutely no trouble with it because of ages of knowing how to dodge is just too fun.

It's old, it's clunky, and I'm loving it.

c-no

I Love Me Some White Sauce
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So a while ago, my Landlord gave me a PS3 and said that if I could get it working, I could keep it.

So I did. Part replacement here and there and now I have a functioning PS3, just in time for PSN's servers to go offline for the console for good. Fun times! But the best part is that I finally was able to get a copy of Demon's Souls classic, and was able to play it for the first time in like 14 years.

Playing this game after playing other Souls titles is a fucking trip, let me tell you. Unless you'd played King's Field or Evergrace there really wasn't anything like this, and neither of those games was really comparable to Demon's Souls. The lighting engine barely works, the game's encounter design is questionable, and yet everything else just hits it out of the park. It's way better than it has any right to be, even with how primitive and jank it is. Coming back to the Vanguard and just having absolutely no trouble with it because of ages of knowing how to dodge is just too fun.

It's old, it's clunky, and I'm loving it.
It's been years since I touched my PS3 and the used copy of Demon's Souls I had. Plugging the PS3 into a glorious 1440 MONITOR I have, I was able to see that jank in how New Game+ was handled. That and seeing just how the faces looked in it after all these years. Then again the first time I played Demon's Souls, I was using a CRT where everything may as well be low quality compared to all the flat screens that were around. Even with Demon's Souls jank, it still has some charm to it and I can only hope the rerelease really kept part of it.

God of Nothing

kiwifarms.net
I'm not sure From can make anything that surpasses 3, at least in terms of themes and conclusions. A lot of stuff was admittedly "Remember Dark Souls?" at times but seeing what happened to the areas from the first game really fucked me up. The world breathing its last gasp from the first is straight up dead in the end with no one but you and a handful of others left sane or with purpose to mourn. It had the best bossfights in the series, the biggest mindfucks, best endings, and the most fitting final boss. Bloodborne's influence was something I hated at first but grew to enjoy, though I really do miss proper poise despite how broken full fatass was. Probably going to buy Elden Ring anyway, but fuck me does it have a tough act to follow.