Souls Thread: Dark Souls, Demon Souls, Bloodborne -

Clown Doll

His own Free Bitch
Staff Member
Community Admin
kiwifarms.net
Is demon souls still playable without the servers running? I mean technically it is but MP was half the game.
I personally think Demon's Souls is perfectly playable without the online. Hell, it and Bloodborne are the most single-player "friendly" games because there are no covenants to grind out for multiplayer (well, BB does have Covenants but very little grinding) and the only one item you'd miss out on without access to multiplayer is one piece of headgear because there's no way to get it in pure singleplayer. Managing your World Tendency for the 100% completion is also easier in the offline mode of the game.

Playing through the game in the order of DeS --> DaS 1 --> DaS 2 --> DaS 3 --> Bloodborne is what I would personally recommend. Sticking to release order for the most part means that there's less chance of getting frustrated with going back to a game without the quality of life improvements that you missed in the more recent title. However, even saying that, I would recommend playing Bloodborne last because it's a very different game and adjusting back to Souls gameplay is a bit weird if you're used to Bloodborne and personally I found that Bloodborne was Miyazaki's masterpiece and going back to Dark Souls series after playing Bloodborne would've felt like a downgrade. But that's a matter of personal taste of course, not everyone prefers BB to Souls.

Clown Doll

His own Free Bitch
Staff Member
Community Admin
kiwifarms.net
Which one is that?
The Old Monk's Headwrap. You can only get it if you get summoned to fight a host as the Old Monk player-bossfight (Spear of the Church bossfight in Ringed City was basically a recreation of this) and you manage to defeat the host. The way the Old Monk fight works is that if you have a Summon Sign anywhere in the Tower of Latria area (I don't recall if it had to be in the same specific level that the Old Monk fight itself was, 3-1) or invade, there's a chance you'll get pulled into the world of someone in your level range who's going to the Old Monk bossfight. The Old Monk's Headwrap boosts sorcery damage.

• Informative
Reactions: BlueSpark

Sable

DANGEROUSLY WELCOMING IN THE NEW YEAR
kiwifarms.net
So I caved and got the remaster, I already regret it a little, but it has been a long time since I played DS so...

I was going to go Wanderer for my twinking purposes, but I think I'll just use that for a normal run and go Sorc because of Weapon Matchmaking.

Burned Man

Trans-Legion burnedgender Mormankin
kiwifarms.net
So I remade one of my favorite Dark Souls 1 characters for the remaster and discovered a new problem with them. Making a black man was always a nightmare in Dark Souls 1 but a new even worse problem has emerged. His chest hair, moles, nipples, leg hair all the way down to his feet, and entire crotch region are bright glowing green.

Clown Doll

His own Free Bitch
Staff Member
Community Admin
kiwifarms.net
I didn't get a black knight weapon on a character I wanted one on after ages of trying.

Then I got two on a sorcerer that will never use them.

Fuck.
Japanese desire sensor strikes again. It's especially fun in Dark Souls 1 because DS1 doesn't have a respec option (not that I feel like they should've included changed the game to include one but still ) :eli: . It's even worse on weapons like the Channeler's Trident where you only have a tiny chance of getting one in the earlygame. At the very least Black Knight weapons seem to drop at a mildly better frequency. I think I've gotten like 1 Trident ever.

A Useless Fish

A Fish with literally no value, whatsoever.
kiwifarms.net
I have been holding off on buying the remastered version. My PC is a potato, so I was gonna go for the PS4 version. That said, for a game I already own on PC, it's still very expensive. Is it worthwhile getting it again? Are the changes really that good?

Clown Doll

His own Free Bitch
Staff Member
Community Admin
kiwifarms.net
My PC is a potato, so I was gonna go for the PS4 version
You'd basically be paying for an active online community. The game's lighting looks odd in some places on the PS4 and there are some weird texture errors like some of the switches have weird blue smudges in them and Andre looks like he's covered in oil from head to toe. I don't think you can turn off the motion blur on the PS4 version and overall I'd say that if the online play isn't that important for you, you probably don't have too much of a reason to pay 40$ just for that and native 60fps.

A Useless Fish

A Fish with literally no value, whatsoever.
kiwifarms.net
You'd basically be paying for an active online community. The game's lighting looks odd in some places on the PS4 and there are some weird texture errors like some of the switches have weird blue smudges in them and Andre looks like he's covered in oil from head to toe. I don't think you can turn off the motion blur on the PS4 version and overall I'd say that if the online play isn't that important for you, you probably don't have too much of a reason to pay 40$ just for that and native 60fps.
Thanks for the advice. I have friend who bought it already, and are ribbing me for not joining in on co-oping in the game, but I just can't justify the cost of the game just yet. I'll go on sale eventually. I might get it then. In the meantime it might allow the invaders to get bored and fuck off. If I am doing online stuff in a Souls game, it's to be a sunbro. There are bosses in these games I could never have taken out without a sunbro or two helping me, so I like to be helpful to others that were stuck like I was whenever I can.

Burned Man

kiwifarms.net
So I noticed a game play change in the depths. In the hallway leading to the Depths Bonfire only 3 of the blobs drop from the ceiling the rest just disappear. Also my character's main gimmick is that I dump all my points into health and I've noticed whenever I password match make with a friend, one that's a higher level then me, my maximum health is still lowered. It makes me wonder how it decides how much health to remove and what other stats are being nerfed even though I'm a lower level.

• Informative
Reactions: King n Yellow

Clown Doll

His own Free Bitch
Staff Member
Community Admin
kiwifarms.net
So I noticed a game play change in the depths. In the hallway leading to the Depths Bonfire only 3 of the blobs drop from the ceiling the rest just disappear.
Yeah, that's been noticed by some other players in the community as well. As an aside, the guy whose tweet I linked, Illusorywall, has done a lot of work in finding out some of the inner workings of Souls games so while I don't generally care much for Souls ecelebs, I'd like to give a minor shoutouthere to a little two-part series of his on his tumblr called "Distant Views explained" which goes a bit into detail about the areas you can see from other levels.

Burned Man

kiwifarms.net
So I have a new report in the game breaking while I coop with friends. So I summoned a friend with no problems but when I summoned a second one he appeared in my game without any evidence other then the game telling me. There was no sound or visuals. They were completely silent and invisible and when we went to fight pinwheel I went into a loading and my friends said I was stuck frozen in midair. They beat the boss and I heard a sound effect but the loading screen remained as they were sent home. I had to quit my game and reload and pinwheel was alive again.

timecop

kiwifarms.net
having picked up the remaster i actually made significant progress, even managed to get past blight town which was my stopping point on prepare to die edition. i was going to talk about how tomb of the giants was HORY SHEET levels of awful, but then i found nito and killed his ass sooner than i expected so i guess it evens out. currently using orenstein's armor and a +15 demon great machete, so i'm slow as erosion but take out pretty much everything in one or two hits.

now that i got past the bed of chaos i'd say lost izalith was pretty fucking awful, i'd say worse than tomb of the giants

Last edited:

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
having picked up the remaster i actually made significant progress, even managed to get past blight town which was my stopping point on prepare to die edition. i was going to talk about how tomb of the giants was HORY SHEET levels of awful, but then i found nito and killed his ass sooner than i expected so i guess it evens out. currently using orenstein's armor and a +15 demon great machete, so i'm slow as erosion but take out pretty much everything in one or two hits.
The Zweihander is really good for strength builds. It's heavy attacks stuns pretty much everything except certain bosses.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino