Souls Thread: Dark Souls, Demon Souls, Bloodborne -

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
1 had the best atmosphere and level design, 2 had the most varied and balanced gameplay, 3 had the most awesome bosses. At least that's what I'd say.
That's why the remaster of Dark Souls 1 was such a disappointment. The team could have really improved on all the little flaws of that game and went above and beyond in a lot of ways. Beyond just fixing the Bed of Chaos fight of course. Make the camera and aiming a little bit better. Flesh out the Capra Demon fight with a bigger area and maybe more variety in how the boss attacks you. Fix the Centipede Demon fight so it doesn't just devolved into staying at the spot where you start, wail on the boss while the camera freaks out and the FPS drops, and wait for him to go back into the lava and then do it again. Fix up the Nito fight so you can kill the skeletons without needing holy weapons so, again, the fight doesn't devolve into just tanking hits. 8 way rolling. Get rid of the hit-stun. Maybe add a few little surprises ala NG+ in Dark Souls 2. That would have been fun but they went for the more simple and lazy thing to do.

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net
Eh the Nito thing seems like a fine complication to me but I don't mind switching equipment loadouts for specific bosses.

I just wish they made the Gravelord Covenant effect NG+0.

Clown Doll

His own Free Bitch
Staff Member
Community Admin
kiwifarms.net
Despite my initial skepticism toward Sekiro : Shadows Die Twice all the footage and details they've revealed throughout 2018 and 2019 after E3 have gotten me progressively more and more hyped for the game. It's not going to be a Souls game but I feel like that it's definitely going to be an entertaining action title nonetheless.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm done with Sekiro. I'm just so annoyed with it and technically beat it. The combat is IMHO where it fails. It's just too tedious. I replayed Dark Souls 1 via the Remaster and I had much more fun with that. Even in the early game not every single fucking enemy blocks and you just attack, attack, attack, deflect, attack, Death Blow them, etc.

It's still extremely scummy of Bamco for charging $40 for it. So I don't feel bad torrenting it. If the early rumors were true and/or they stuck to it and it was like $20 then okay. But paying $40 for what should have been a pretty easy patch for the PC version is reatarded.

Edit: wow, I didn't realize they removed Dark Souls 1 on Steam. So if you want to experience Dark Souls 1 on Steam, fuck you, pay $40 for the Remaster. Bamco fails to realize that it was the fact that the game was on sale so often and for so cheap that that got tons of people into the series. What faggots.

Last edited:

frozenrunner

I could really use the salt
kiwifarms.net
Edit: wow, I didn't realize they removed Dark Souls 1 on Steam. So if you want to experience Dark Souls 1 on Steam, fuck you, pay $40 for the Remaster. Bamco fails to realize that it was the fact that the game was on sale so often and for so cheap that that got tons of people into the series. What faggots.
I never did finish DS1, but I had it on PC so I knew I could always go back to it.

But apparently Nvidia driver updates broke the Durante resolution/GUI/etc. hack, so now I either play it in potato mode or I get the awful "remaster" and get to rebuy and restart a game I already own and already played through about half of.

Last edited:

Burned Man

Trans-Legion burnedgender Mormankin
kiwifarms.net
I recently helped a friend with their no death run in Dark Souls 2. That was a fun time of always being on edge waiting for that one slip that would erase our whole endeavor. Our first attempt was to try new game plus on our characters from the time of the no bonfire run back in the day only to fail horribly as our connections fell out of a sync in a boss fight. It also resulted in a weird situation whenever I summoned them because dying a phantom still counts meaning even as the host I was still expendable.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm playing more of Remaster and I noticed that the skeletons leading up to Havel are more aggressive this time. I had it happen where I ran past them, cleared out 3 or so, fought Havel, and one followed me down there and blind sided me. Either that or it was a glitch.

Another difference in Remaster is that lips for the NPC's move. It's weird.

Have all mods been purged from the original Dark Souls? I've been wanting to try the Boss Rush mod:

Last edited:

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Correction: some NPC's have their mouth move in Remastered. I spoke a little too soon. So far only the blacksmith's mouth moves.

On my way to Sen's fortress. Will probably get the run finished over the weekend if work doesn't stop me. Still having more fun replaying Souls 1 than Sekiro. And that's with going through Blightown.

Reactions: Violence Jack

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Beat Ornstein and Smough. I'm reminded of the weird hitboxes Souls 1 sometimes has. I guess it's with certain weapons but I know with the Zwei you sometimes can't hit those giant dudes guarding the boss door for Ornstein and Smough because your weapon will hit their shield.

Got my ass kicked this time because I didn't have a fast weapon with good range and while I love the Zwei it's not the best weapon against the duo. It's totally fine in the 2nd phase of course. And I didn't find a Black Knight Halberd like I wanted to and used a Crystal Halberd. And the light attack with the Halberd just misses Smough's fat ass in his 2nd phase. Not unless I get right up in there.

Enough blogging from me.

The Demon Pimp of Razgriz

Still Pimpin
kiwifarms.net
Beat Ornstein and Smough. I'm reminded of the weird hitboxes Souls 1 sometimes has. I guess it's with certain weapons but I know with the Zwei you sometimes can't hit those giant dudes guarding the boss door for Ornstein and Smough because your weapon will hit their shield.

Got my ass kicked this time because I didn't have a fast weapon with good range and while I love the Zwei it's not the best weapon against the duo. It's totally fine in the 2nd phase of course. And I didn't find a Black Knight Halberd like I wanted to and used a Crystal Halberd. And the light attack with the Halberd just misses Smough's fat ass in his 2nd phase. Not unless I get right up in there.

Enough blogging from me.
I beat Ornstein and Smough with the Zweihander. Make sure your strength stat is high, make it a lightning Zweihander, and upgrade it as far as you possibly can (I think I maxed mine out by the time I faced them for the last time). Shill out for good armor as well and upgrade it as much as possible (I used the Giant Armor). Bring Sunbrow with you to keep Ornstein busy during the first phase of the fight and focus on Smough. With luck, you both will get into a race to see who can kill who the fastest. I killed Smough first and got Ornstein for the second phase. Just play it smart and the Zwei will make swift work of Ornstein.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I never summon unless I absolutely have to. The Sister Frieda fight in Souls 3 was the only time I summoned and I eventually did beat it at NG+ without summoning.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
One more blog:

It becomes increasingly obvious that all Dark Souls Remastered is is a patched version of the old PC version. That with a filter slapped on it. Scummy as fuck to do but the console people don't mind much except for that price. I never had much luck with the mods to make the port actually function correctly. If I forced it to run at 60 the game would run at this weird 60 FPS that looked like a flipbook mode. I tried a mouse + keyboard mod because I'm a freak that plays Souls games with a mouse and keyboard and it kind of worked. The big thing is that when dialogue was triggered I couldn't move the camera and I'd see the mouse cursor (I've also occasionally seen the mouse cursor in Remastered during dialogue). Not a big deal but it became a big deal when I fought Lautrec at Anor Londo. Then when I replayed it the mod ceased to work. One other weird thing I had in the old port: whenever I fought Sif, the framerate would just tank, especially when you get under the Wolf.

I mean, you pay $40 for what is essentially just a patch that should have happened ages ago... Especially when they dumped Games For Windows Live. But at least it works.

One thing that would have improved the Bed of Chaos fight: just put a bonfire near the boss door. Stop forcing me to run all the way back there and waste 5 minutes each time. Also that fight really shows how bullshit stun-locking is.

Gonna' check out Painted World, the Artorias DLC, the Four Knights of the Abyss, and finish it soon. I'm trying to change up my weapons more but I just love the Zwei and the Great Scythe.

Recon

Tactical Autism Response Division
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've said this in the "free shit" thread, but THE SURGE is available free on PS+ right now, this month only, and it's really worth a play for souls fans.

• Informative
Reactions: Violence Jack

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, but it's the Surge... It's like giving someone a used condom. And the condom has AIDS.

Anyone play Immortal: Unchained? That one looks interesting.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is it okay if I bring up "flaws" with Dark Souls 1? Because, you know, it wouldn't bother me at all and I wouldn't sperg and I'm not trying to be a contrarian faggot. But what bugs me is the gushing over Souls 1. People make it seem like Souls 1 is absolute perfection. Either Souls 1 or Demons. And I still like the game, I wouldn't NG+ it if I didn't obviously. But replaying it always me reminds me of niggling issues that I have with it. Niggling issues that are not a thing in Souls 2 and 3. Hence why I love 2 and 3 much more (fuck Scholars of the First Sin though).

I hate the backtracking. Like I said before, even when you get fast travel you can't just warp to any bonfire. It has to be a specific bonfire per zone. That and very poor bonfire placement/NPC placement. Like I mentioned, the Bed of Chaos fight wouldn't be that bad if there was a bonfire right near the boss. Most of the (justly deserved) bitching about the fight would be alleviated if you weren't forced to backtrack for 5 minutes (I counted) each and every time you fail the fight. Same with New Londo Ruins and the Four Kings. Just put a bonfire next to the boss. Done. No need to backtrack, avoid ghosts, pull a lever each time or take a moment to step on the elevator trigger as you leave so you don't need to do that. Need to get shards and get a boss weapon? You have to warp to the Chamber of the Princess, wait for an elevator, run by two enemies that have a good chance of stabbing your ass as you try to make it by them, and then finally you've made it to the blacksmith. That's why in 2 and 3 all of the important NPC's are right there in the starting area. Excluding 2 when it comes to NPC's that give boss weapons but that's a little more excusable because you can just warp to any bonfire.

Speaking of which, getting boss weapons is a pain in the ass and has no reason to be so. You're given practically no info as to how to get them, you're not told that you have to level up specific weapons to +10 (which is tedious grinding) and then go to the blacksmith by the Chamber of the Princess (which is more tedious backtracking) and then finally you can grab a boss weapon. 2 and 3 had no problems making it easier to give you a boss weapon.

And another thing that grinds my gears: the weight restriction. If you want to use a heavy weapon, fuck you, use Havel's Ring or just use a shield and fat roll. And the best way to use the majority of heavy weapons is to two hand so you either use Havel's Ring for a majority of the game until you level the fuck out of Endurance or you just fat roll. Another thing adjusted in 2 and 3. Being forced to use Havel's Ring kind of limits your ring choices, no? And there's no reason not to run Ring of Favor and Protection when you get it. Especially considering how early you get it.

And of course the extremely cryptic way to access the DLC. That should go without saying though. At least in 2 and 3 the DLC area's are presented right there for you and you're warned about the spike in difficulty. Excluding Scholars which, again, can go fuck it self.

I didn't mean to write a mini essay but little annoying things about Souls 1 just piss me off.

(Rates self Mad on Internet)

The Demon Pimp of Razgriz

Still Pimpin
kiwifarms.net
Is it okay if I bring up "flaws" with Dark Souls 1? Because, you know, it wouldn't bother me at all and I wouldn't sperg and I'm not trying to be a contrarian faggot. But what bugs me is the gushing over Souls 1. People make it seem like Souls 1 is absolute perfection. Either Souls 1 or Demons. And I still like the game, I wouldn't NG+ it if I didn't obviously. But replaying it always me reminds me of niggling issues that I have with it. Niggling issues that are not a thing in Souls 2 and 3. Hence why I love 2 and 3 much more (fuck Scholars of the First Sin though).

I hate the backtracking. Like I said before, even when you get fast travel you can't just warp to any bonfire. It has to be a specific bonfire per zone. That and very poor bonfire placement/NPC placement. Like I mentioned, the Bed of Chaos fight wouldn't be that bad if there was a bonfire right near the boss. Most of the (justly deserved) bitching about the fight would be alleviated if you weren't forced to backtrack for 5 minutes (I counted) each and every time you fail the fight. Same with New Londo Ruins and the Four Kings. Just put a bonfire next to the boss. Done. No need to backtrack, avoid ghosts, pull a lever each time or take a moment to step on the elevator trigger as you leave so you don't need to do that. Need to get shards and get a boss weapon? You have to warp to the Chamber of the Princess, wait for an elevator, run by two enemies that have a good chance of stabbing your ass as you try to make it by them, and then finally you've made it to the blacksmith. That's why in 2 and 3 all of the important NPC's are right there in the starting area. Excluding 2 when it comes to NPC's that give boss weapons but that's a little more excusable because you can just warp to any bonfire.

Speaking of which, getting boss weapons is a pain in the ass and has no reason to be so. You're given practically no info as to how to get them, you're not told that you have to level up specific weapons to +10 (which is tedious grinding) and then go to the blacksmith by the Chamber of the Princess (which is more tedious backtracking) and then finally you can grab a boss weapon. 2 and 3 had no problems making it easier to give you a boss weapon.

And another thing that grinds my gears: the weight restriction. If you want to use a heavy weapon, fuck you, use Havel's Ring or just use a shield and fat roll. And the best way to use the majority of heavy weapons is to two hand so you either use Havel's Ring for a majority of the game until you level the fuck out of Endurance or you just fat roll. Another thing adjusted in 2 and 3. Being forced to use Havel's Ring kind of limits your ring choices, no? And there's no reason not to run Ring of Favor and Protection when you get it. Especially considering how early you get it.

And of course the extremely cryptic way to access the DLC. That should go without saying though. At least in 2 and 3 the DLC area's are presented right there for you and you're warned about the spike in difficulty. Excluding Scholars which, again, can go fuck it self.

I didn't mean to write a mini essay but little annoying things about Souls 1 just piss me off.

(Rates self Mad on Internet)
All of that and not one mention of the game's technical issues (bad hitbox detection, auto tracking attacks, input lag etc.) Bravo sir.

Reactions: BrunoMattei

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
All of that and not one mention of the game's technical issues (bad hitbox detection, auto tracking attacks, input lag etc.) Bravo sir.
That too. I didn't want to sperg too hard. Even playing at 60 FPS there's still input lag.

Hit-stun too. Thank fuck FROM removed that shit in 2 and 3. That was complete horseshit where you get hit once and absolutely cannot move as enemies get free hits.

Last edited:
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino