Souls Thread: Dark Souls, Demon Souls, Bloodborne -

The 8 of Spades

Knows Where Peter Popoff's Miracle Spring Is.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is there a tip to beating Artorias? He's whipping the shit out of me solo and I can't seem to figure out a decent attack strategy.

Recoil

Tactical Autism Response Division
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is there a tip to beating Artorias? He's whipping the shit out of me solo and I can't seem to figure out a decent attack strategy.
It's about outlasting him. Use a greatshield if you can and patiently wait for openings.
Altho I suppose you could say that for a lot of the bosses.

When he does that big leap he'll crouch first, right? Run towards him and roll at the last second.

broilerrx

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A good medium shield one could use is the Balder Shield, highest stability among Medium Shields in 1. As he's doing that charge up, depending on your weapon, you can stagger him out of it to bypass the AoE explosion. If your weapon isn't capable of staggering him, back the fuck up. In either event, he will get the boost. As with any other boss, don't get greedy/don't rush. Anytime you get an opening, attack once (or twice), then go back on the defensive. Artorias tends to switch up like a motherfucker, but he is manageable, especially if you play carefully/observantly to his attacks.

When he does that big leap he'll crouch first, right? Run towards him and roll at the last second.
This as well.

Super Color Up

Khantrehbyooshuns.
kiwifarms.net
If you're not aware of this already, you absolute cannot let him use his Rage mode. It's when he's drawing in that murky purple energy after you hurt him a bit. When he does that, he's completely vulnerable to all forms of attack. When he's charging up, run up and slug his ass as many times as you can. High poise damage weapons work best, but you can work some DEX stuff in there too, like an uchi bleed, though I can't remember if you can inflict Bleed on Artorias.

How about a horror story?

When trying to get the platinum trophy for dark souls 1, I fucked up and accidentally got the Cursed version of Artorias' sword twice. You need to beat the game at a minimum of three times to get all of the boss soul weapons. I had to NG+4 to get the proper uncursed version.

• Informative
Reactions: The 8 of Spades

Violence Jack

"Buh."
kiwifarms.net

When trying to get the platinum trophy for dark souls 1, I fucked up and accidentally got the Cursed version of Artorias' sword twice. You need to beat the game at a minimum of three times to get all of the boss soul weapons. I had to NG+4 to get the proper uncursed version.
That must've been a slog since dark souls is a longer game, but that reminds me of the time I accidentally traded my silver demon's soul for cursed weapon instead of light weapon on my BBS build. I killed all my npcs in a howling autistic rage and had to kill false king with poison cloud because I couldn't resupply from thomas. granted that's more comedy of errors than your case, but I feel your feelings deeply.

Reactions: Super Color Up

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The big thing is to learn his pattern and look for that opening. Souls bosses and most enemies have a pattern where if you try to get away and heal they will be on your ass. Figure out when they do that shit and dodge to heal or hit them.

Burned Man

Trans-Legion burnedgender Mormankin
kiwifarms.net

The only Souls I ever platinumed was Dark Souls 2. In that one you need to get to new game +3 in order to buy some spells from the councilor at the castle. Other then that you need to get spells from the covenants so I had to farm the bell keepers offline and pray to rngesus that the mad warrior would spawn for me to kill consistently. That took a few hours to get magic I'd never use.

I also platinumed Bloodborne but I barely had to go out of my way for that. You have to beat it 3 times to get all the endings but its a short game if you know what you are doing and I beat my 3rd playthrough in 2 to 3 hours. I only had to go out of my way to do the chalice dungeons for the Queen Yarhnam fight and the beast claws weapon.

U

UE 558

kiwifarms.net
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Violence Jack

broilerrx

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Anyone ever try out the Cinders mod for Dark Souls 3?

Sauce

I just got started playing it, and so far, it's interesting. They changed Rings around, added new effects to armor, changed the starting classes, and item placements. So now the Estus Ring is found in the rafters of Firelink, while the Estus Shard is in the chest where the Covetous Silver Serpent Ring was once found, just to give examples of Firelink Shrine. The infusion system has also changed, so instead of having to find coals for different gems, you instead find one infusion item that accounts for them all, one per item, and one takes the place of the Fire Gem Starting Gift, so you can get a free infusion right out the gate.

For starting out, rather than being forced to start at the High Wall, you also get to start at the Undead Settlement, the High Wall got upped in difficulty, and the Dreg Heap is available from the start, if you're that sort of mad lad.

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net

BoingoTango

Sabat on a gayops
kiwifarms.net
So I'm a big fan of Dark Souls 1, I also like Dark Souls 3, but haven't finished it. However Dark Souls II fucks with me. I'm not going to make my whole post bitching about the changes to the poise system and other things (though I could, another annoying one is the initial lack of an infinite source of titanite shards)

What I'd really like is a good starter build to get started on the right foot. I've played a couple of time and always get frustrated by the lack of being able to find a decent weapon and (because of the limited source of titanite shards) being kinda scared to level up one weapon inparticular because I don't know if I'll end up wasting all of my shards when I should've been saving them for later.

What weapon do you guys usually start with? That's a big one for me. I mean I usually used strength weapons in Dark Souls 1 but, I'm not opposed to dex weapons. Is there anything akin to Dark Souls one, where you can run through and get the grass crest shield + Zweihander and be set for awhile? Or if I do just need to tough it out with shit weapons until a certain point, what path is a good one to take? I've looked up various strategy guides and builds but most of them either suck or are intended for building specifically for late game and PvP.

Just really want to be able to give this one a fair shot, especially because the PvP is supposed to be the best of the Souls series

Burned Man

Trans-Legion burnedgender Mormankin
kiwifarms.net
So I'm a big fan of Dark Souls 1, I also like Dark Souls 3, but haven't finished it. However Dark Souls II fucks with me. I'm not going to make my whole post bitching about the changes to the poise system and other things (though I could, another annoying one is the initial lack of an infinite source of titanite shards)

What I'd really like is a good starter build to get started on the right foot. I've played a couple of time and always get frustrated by the lack of being able to find a decent weapon and (because of the limited source of titanite shards) being kinda scared to level up one weapon inparticular because I don't know if I'll end up wasting all of my shards when I should've been saving them for later.

What weapon do you guys usually start with? That's a big one for me. I mean I usually used strength weapons in Dark Souls 1 but, I'm not opposed to dex weapons. Is there anything akin to Dark Souls one, where you can run through and get the grass crest shield + Zweihander and be set for awhile? Or if I do just need to tough it out with shit weapons until a certain point, what path is a good one to take? I've looked up various strategy guides and builds but most of them either suck or are intended for building specifically for late game and PvP.

Just really want to be able to give this one a fair shot, especially because the PvP is supposed to be the best of the Souls series
After killing the pursuer you can get the Drangleic sword shield and armor set. Its a dex scaling twinkling titanite great sword. Its an ok way to start off in my opinion but I normally don't bother with it these days. If you don't mind murder you could kill Benhart and take his sword but I'd recommend not doing this on a first run.

To be honest most of the time when I start off in DS 2 I use just a basic mace since it deals good damage to armored enemies which is most of the starting ones. I tend to experiment with weapons as I pick them up and find what bizarre ideas I want out of the run.

As for Titanite if you are playing Scholar its not as bad as you think. You trade infinite titanite shards for infinite large titanite shards from McDuff the blacksmith in the lost Bastille really early on. You do eventually unlock infinite titanite shards if you go through the Iron Keep path, it starts with the Huntsman's copse. You also will eventually earn infinite chunks after beating the final boss so you can upgrade everything you want before moving to the DLCs or NG+ and you can farm slabs from some of the only infinite re-spawning enemies in Drageleic castle.

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
Excuse the bump, but I’m looking to get into the Souls games. Is this one of those series where the earlier titles can be safely ignored, or should I be playing all three to get the full experience? Cursory look online seems to suggest that I could probably just jump into DS3 with no real issues, but I’d like to get some first-hand opinions from people who know the games.

BroccoliBrain

my corpus callosum is green
kiwifarms.net
Excuse the bump, but I’m looking to get into the Souls games. Is this one of those series where the earlier titles can be safely ignored, or should I be playing all three to get the full experience? Cursory look online seems to suggest that I could probably just jump into DS3 with no real issues, but I’d like to get some first-hand opinions from people who know the games.
I'd say you can jump right in, it only matters if you care about being a super deep lore buff.
Then again, I went from 3 to 1 and the difference in how movement feels is quite literally staggering. I feel I can't appreciate 1 at it's fullest because 3 has spoiled me with the speed and pace of combat.

Reactions: Gar For Archer

ThinkThankThunk

No longer huffing gamer girl farts due to COVID-19
kiwifarms.net
I'd say at least play DS1 first before 3; 2 and Demon's can be safely ignored. 3 is my favourite of the bunch, and I can't imagine it would be easy to go back to the first after experiencing the quality of life changes that got introduced as time went on. DS1's corridor from the Asylum through the Burg and into Anor Londo and the Painted World is without a doubt the best game design of all time and makes the game an unmissable experience, but the other 2/3rds of the game drive me up the wall. 3 doesn't have the same peaks and lows, it's just consistently great. That and 3 has several areas that really hinge on you knowing some of the areas in DS1 that make it extra sweet.

Skip 2 unless you want to gawk at it. There's constant tiny fuck-ups throughout it that pile up to make the game a real mess. Some people will say it's fine, but I disagree; I found it really hard to sit through. I listened to Mauler's 8-hour dissection of the game while playing it and I had more fun hearing the game autistically picked apart than I did actually playing the thing. There's a good reason it's the one that's always on sale. Play Scholar of the First Sin if you want to play 2 at all, it cleans up the wonky spawn points and rebalances some equipment and bosses. It's also utterly beautiful when you aren't slogging through puke brown hallways.

As for Demon's Souls, it's really disconnected from the others. It's fantastic, but entirely unrelated both in terms of gameplay and level progression. If anything it's probably best to play it last since it's more in line with the King's Field games, being considerably meaner and more obtuse than From's subsequent work.

The Demon Pimp of Razgriz

Still Pimpin
kiwifarms.net
Demon Souls is practically a separate IP and is more a prototype of what Dark Souls will become, so can be ignored. You should play Dark Souls 1 first if only to understand the full lore of what is going on. DS2 can be ignored for the most part, but some of the lore for it comes back up in the third game, so might want to familiarize yourself with that at least. The third game is where its at though, so definitely play that.

Violence Jack

"Buh."
kiwifarms.net
I'd say go back and play demon's after souls 1 so you can appreciate the clear throughline of design intent being fully realized. It'll give you a greater appreciation for the latter. Also because if you play souls 1 demon's literally becomes a cake walk of immense proportions with broken builds and hilariously op weapons. catharsis like that is pretty special i find.

Reactions: BrunoMattei

Paleololicon

kiwifarms.net
I would play them in release order, if I were you. They all have something to offer and build on what came before. Naysayers will say to skip 2 but that's just because they don't want to put levels into ADP. 2 has the best combat and build variety, not to mention powerstancing. As a veteran of the series, 3 is my least favorite. It's got some fancy graphics but it's really uninspired and the bosses are pretty boring with a couple of exceptions.

Sable

DANGEROUSLY WAITING FOR MORE 2HUS
kiwifarms.net
I'd echo what some people are saying and play it in release order.

Going back to 1 after 2 or 3 is pretty jarring, I put hundreds of hours into 1 and I just can't do it. If you start with it though it's a great game and I highly recommend it. Some people might say not to take the key as your starting item, but you can choose anything you like.

2 is super fun no matter what people say - there's a lot of variety in spells, and because they don't limit handedness like 1 and 3 you've got a lot of oppurtunity to wield cool combinations of weapons.
It also has omnidirectional rolling unlike 1 which IMO was a massive improvement. People don't like it because it loses a lot of the interconnectedness that 1 had, and you need to put a small number of points into the one skill to get a proper roll, but it starts out super open and you're able to go in a bunch of directions, more than 1/3 though it closes up later on.

3 is basically 1 if it was much more fluid and playable. The combat's also pretty fun, they brought in combat arts which are basically special abilities and attacks. Also both said abilities and magic work of what's basically an MP bar in 3, whereas in 1&2 they ran off a number of charges. Being 3rd in the series, it has a few nice QOL changes that the previous two lack. The online's also probably not dead if you want help.

If you can, grab the DLC's for any of the games. They're all uniformally great, and have some of the best bosses/area designs in the series. You know, except for the valley of the asshole deer, that place is the worst.

Tags
None