South Park discussion thread -

• Apologies for the site issues. The server's shipment was delayed. I'll ask again about it and if they can't provide it I'll source another.

Syaoran Li

The Prince of Camelot
kiwifarms.net
So we're nearing the end of the season, and it's been the most up-and-down season in a long time.

I have to admit, as terrible as "Season Finale" was, I loved the fuck out of "Band in China", "Let Them Eat Goo", and "Board Girls"

I'm still curious to see how they handle the 2020 Election in the next season. They've been doing an election episode for every cycle since 2004, so it should be interesting to see where this goes.

ExceptionallyExceptional

I farted in my hazmat suit.
kiwifarms.net
I haven't watched South Park in a couple years now outside of the occasional episode my roommate might be watching so I'll chill and watch for a minute. I really ought to, tho. The first seasons were so good. I especially love that it wasn't as preachy as it became, nor did it try to be tryhard levels of edgy as some of the later episodes became.

And some of the moments have stuck with me for a long time, too. I remember the Jewbilee episode and one specific quote from their Tron-villain version of Moses.
"NO CAKE FOR THE IMPURITOR!" was just irrationally funny to me for no real reason I can ascertain other than it's just that fucking ludicrous.

Bread Fetishist

Public enemy to bakers everywhere
kiwifarms.net
So we're nearing the end of the season, and it's been the most up-and-down season in a long time.

I have to admit, as terrible as "Season Finale" was, I loved the fuck out of "Band in China", "Let Them Eat Goo", and "Board Girls"

I'm still curious to see how they handle the 2020 Election in the next season. They've been doing an election episode for every cycle since 2004, so it should be interesting to see where this goes.
They even did that as far back as Season 4’s Trapper Keeper.

José Mourinho

The Special One
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
For a finale, a very meh one. For an episode in itself, it's just meh. Not bad, not good either.

• The preview we saw was about at the start. After Santa gets booed, people then drunk drive, causing liquor to be unable to be sold until January 2nd.
  • Mayor decides to ask "an old friend" for help. I thought it's gonna be Mr. Hankey, but turns out it's Randy, which honestly I've been missing a bit of Tegridy Farms.
  • Randy sells "Christmas Snow" which was mixed marijuana but with cocaine (the white snow). People then drive while high, causing marijuana to get banned.
  • There was that small quick scene in between where Randy tries to legalize cocaine to get around it. That part gave me a giggle.
  • There's also that small jab on Mandalorian and Baby Yoda though.
  • Randy then gets around it by selling "Marijuana-free Christmas Snow" which is just cocaine. People then drive while high again.
  • Santa then becomes Mr Grinch and steals all the Christmas Snow from every household. Missed opportunity to have some song there.
  • Randy then stops Santa and successfully convinces him to try out Christmas Snow and he likes it, same goes for Jesus.
  • Christmas Snow is then spread across South Park, people drive while high again.
Thought it's gonna be a jab at those that are offended by buzzkills like Greta, or even those "buzzkillers", instead I got this, which was pretty mediocre. This could be perhaps okay if this is during mid-season, but this is the season finale. Talk about playing it safe. As much as I want Tegridy Farms to return, this is just..... eh.

Best to Worst for Season 23 imo:
  1. Band in China
  2. Let Them Eat Goo
  3. Board Girls
  4. Shots!!!
  5. Basic Cable
  6. Turd Burglars
  7. Tegridy Farms Halloween Special
  8. Christmas Snow
  9. Mexican Joker
  10. Season Finale
Here's to waiting for the next season. Gonna be about election shit too.

Last edited:

SnowBall

God Tier Problematic
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I actually liked the gimmicks this season with having different show within a show. Fucking around with the audiences like this is totally in character with Matt and Trey. The phone call number was genius. It seems some of the plots of the weaker political episodes of South Park are just window dressing to mess with people. I am pretty sure the season 21 premiere existed solely to set off people’s Alexas in real life (which is actually did.)

Uncanny Valley

I'M A LOSER, BABY!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I actually liked the gimmicks this season with having different show within a show. Fucking around with the audiences like this is totally in character with Matt and Trey. The phone call number was genius. It seems some of the plots of the weaker political episodes of South Park are just window dressing to mess with people. I am pretty sure the season 21 premiere existed solely to set off people’s Alexas in real life (which is actually did.)
Though it missed an opportunity to have Cartman actually break up with Heidi.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Though it missed an opportunity to have Cartman actually break up with Heidi.
She broke up with him though, right? At the end of the season, she finally realized what Cartman had turned her into and broke up with him. Even had him try to pull the “I’ll kill myself” thing again.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
Before this thread goes to sleep for a year, I want to say that South Park became kind of pointless with the rise of Youtube.
YouTube gave a spot for content creators that did what South park was known for: Parodies of popular things, showing insane political stories or criticism of current events. All those things are done on a more regular basis (depending on the creator) and without the need of a seal of approval from the corporation that runs it (at least for now). An example, South Park only know starts talking about trannies, about 4 years too late, with a very softball episode. While on the other side of the aisle content creators show the trannie surgeries "results" for all to see, or talk about their community toxic nature.

Ruin

#respectskeltins
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Before this thread goes to sleep for a year, I want to say that South Park became kind of pointless with the rise of Youtube.
YouTube gave a spot for content creators that did what South park was known for: Parodies of popular things, showing insane political stories or criticism of current events. All those things are done on a more regular basis (depending on the creator) and without the need of a seal of approval from the corporation that runs it (at least for now). An example, South Park only know starts talking about trannies, about 4 years too late, with a very softball episode. While on the other side of the aisle content creators show the trannie surgeries "results" for all to see, or talk about their community toxic nature.
They did a much more mean episode mocking troons like seven years ago. It was the one where Kyle's dad becomes a dolphin.

Cardenio

Yeed
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Randy's coke face during the Tegridy Farms ad was the highlight for me.
Yes I really cracked a big smile when that happened. At its worst South Park can feel like Socially Liberal Libertarian political Soapboxing, and that happened during Mexican Joker (which was casually mocked for being disliked) as well as that whole pointless episode with Giuliani.

Tegridy Farm's folksy propaganda now being used to promote cocaine really feels like Trey Parker proudly admitting that at the end of the day he is just a rich Hollywood drug addict who doesn't have to worry anymore to being held accountable for his actions. Being this down to earth is what keeps South Park still watchable despite the occasional bad episode. As opposed to The Simpsons which is run by old ass white men who are so obviously out of touch with reality.

Pickle Dick

"I want my feet licked"
kiwifarms.net

lol its just a show

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

lol its just a show
Yeah, I’ve seen that tweet all over the place.
“POPULAR SHOW IS BAD BECAUSE POPULAR!”

Robert James

Not your average John Smith
kiwifarms.net
They did a much more mean episode mocking troons like seven years ago. It was the one where Kyle's dad becomes a dolphin.
South park lost a lot of their bight after the election. I wouldn't really call it TDS because every episode isn't "trump bad" but you can tell their teath have been dulled. I don't really have any confirmation of it but I remember hearing rumors that comedy central consistently threatened to cancel them after the election and saw south park as a reason trump won.

quick sidenote, I've noticed southpark getting very popular amongst the tumblr crowd and have come across videos/post/what not focused on the relationships of the kids and possible ships. I think the tweak and craig episode, which was meant to be a joke, kind of screwed them over and gave them a pretty bad fanbase that they have to appeal to.

cactus

Cactus Juice Connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
quick sidenote, I've noticed southpark getting very popular amongst the tumblr crowd and have come across videos/post/what not focused on the relationships of the kids and possible ships. I think the tweak and craig episode, which was meant to be a joke, kind of screwed them over and gave them a pretty bad fanbase that they have to appeal to.
You just now noticed? There have been SP fangirls for years doing this shit.

UnKillFill

Oh shit, somebody gon get hit.
kiwifarms.net
I've touched on this before, but Matt and Trey have clearly "sold out" and they did it years ago at this point. (I don't even blame them for selling out in the current year btw, I'd probably do the same for what they're being paid...) But the time of a borderline anarchic Southpark that isn't afraid to take the piss out of faggy Democrats one week, and pearl clutching Republican fundies the next, is long dead. They now clearly have TDS... but unlike when they literally made a dumbfun sitcom making fun of Dubya, they've yet to make even a single actual funny joke about Drumph. (You can blame that on them preemptively neutering themselves by replacing Trump with one of the show's more ridiculous characters... But that was a stupid decision that they made for themselves in the first place, and they only made it because of the previously mentioned TDS.)

Replacing Trump with Garrison was a stupid AF move to begin with, but if they *had to* do that, it would have literally been funnier if Hillary Clinton had won the election in the South Park world, even despite what actually happened in real life. If that seems like a nitpick, it's not.
Matt and Trey clearly didn't *want* Trump/Garrison to win the election, it literally threw off the entire rest of the season that they had planned- So why did Trump/Garrison even *need* to win in the show in the first place?

...And they clearly didn't give a shit about real world-ism, or they would have just had Trump be Trump to begin with, and *not* just inserted their ridiculous character in his place. They fucked themselves over by letting their TDS dismiss Trump offhand, but then they still retardedly held themselves to "acknowledging" his victory, but they did it by making it be their shitty, shitty, fag.. (and yes that was a reference) character who won instead of actual Trump. Everything that Trump/Garrison has done since then has made it more clear...

Matt and Trey simply aren't subversive anymore, no matter what they might try to claim these days.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net

lol its just a show
Tbf South Park definitely had some cultural impact. But the described impact of fedora tipping contrarians is very small and not really effective on larger society.

Tags
None