Which do you prefer?

• Pasta

Votes: 26 89.7%
  • Spaghetti

Votes: 14 48.3%

• Total voters

captaincapital

kiwifarms.net
What are everybody's tips and tricks for good fresh homemade pasta?

I've got my pasta ratio nearly perfected.

Beaten whole egg weight x 1.6 = needed flour weight (unbleached all purpose, kroger).

It worked decently for malloreddus/gnocchi (just had to lay them on a sheet while making them), but with longer pasta like fettuccine, I had trouble unraveling them, so a bit too moist. Maybe I'll try 1.8 next time.

I'm so goddamn close, guys.

Whatthefuck

kiwifarms.net
I like carbonara using penne or rotini. I think it helps the sauce cling better. Also, if you aren't going to make your own, try to get bronze die cut. It gives the pasta a rougher texture that helps the sauce cling to it.

Reactions: Rafal Gan Ganowicz

captaincapital

kiwifarms.net
I like carbonara using penne or rotini. I think it helps the sauce cling better. Also, if you aren't going to make your own, try to get bronze die cut. It gives the pasta a rougher texture that helps the sauce cling to it.
Good to know. I bought a pelmeni mold, so I can start making a bunch of ravioli at once. No way Im going to do it individually. Pic related, but not the one I bought.

Attachments

Bloitzhole

OH RUSTY ANCHOR
kiwifarms.net
To get classic italian carbonara to stick, I suggest you boil the pasta, then, about 90 seconds before its done, take some of the water out and heat that separately in a small saucepan on low to medium, just to get some steam.

Add your carbonara ingredients (egg, extra yolks, whatever you are using to get lard/fat infused with garlic, pepper, parmeggiano if you are so inclined) to a bowl and set it on top of the saucepan. You now have a basic double boiler. Add the pasta that should be close to al dente (usually the step above takes 1 minute, so its just barely barely undercooked at this point) to the bowl, as well as pasta water - about half the weight of your pasta (so if you have 140 grams of pasta which is an average portion for a man, add 70 ML or just over 1/4 cup).
Use this double boiler to heat the egg and pasta mixture while stirring continuously. The pasta will soak up some of the liquid and release more starch into the mixture. After approximately 2-3 minutes, it will all come together and the starch from the pasta and the pasta water will cause a stickier carbonara sauce. Don't be surprised if nothing happens for 90 seconds, the mixture needs time to heat through in the bowl - as the egg reaches ~60 degrees Celsius, it starts to solidify rapidly, so it is quite easy to overcook it.
Note that when you think "man, that is almost perfect, maybe 20 more seconds", you should already remove it from the double boiler - the residual heat will continue the cooking process when its close to ideal.

Last edited:
Tags
None