Spaghetti and Pasta - So many different kinds

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

Which do you prefer?

• Pasta

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • Spaghetti

Votes: 22 48.9%

• Total voters

captaincapital

kiwifarms.net
What are everybody's tips and tricks for good fresh homemade pasta?

I've got my pasta ratio nearly perfected.

Beaten whole egg weight x 1.6 = needed flour weight (unbleached all purpose, kroger).

It worked decently for malloreddus/gnocchi (just had to lay them on a sheet while making them), but with longer pasta like fettuccine, I had trouble unraveling them, so a bit too moist. Maybe I'll try 1.8 next time.

I'm so goddamn close, guys.

Whatthefuck

kiwifarms.net
I like carbonara using penne or rotini. I think it helps the sauce cling better. Also, if you aren't going to make your own, try to get bronze die cut. It gives the pasta a rougher texture that helps the sauce cling to it.

captaincapital

kiwifarms.net
I like carbonara using penne or rotini. I think it helps the sauce cling better. Also, if you aren't going to make your own, try to get bronze die cut. It gives the pasta a rougher texture that helps the sauce cling to it.

Good to know. I bought a pelmeni mold, so I can start making a bunch of ravioli at once. No way Im going to do it individually. Pic related, but not the one I bought.
pelmeni mold - Copy.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

Bloitzhole

Well, my boat's got a rusty anchor...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
To get classic italian carbonara to stick, I suggest you boil the pasta, then, about 90 seconds before its done, take some of the water out and heat that separately in a small saucepan on low to medium, just to get some steam.

Add your carbonara ingredients (egg, extra yolks, whatever you are using to get lard/fat infused with garlic, pepper, parmeggiano if you are so inclined) to a bowl and set it on top of the saucepan. You now have a basic double boiler. Add the pasta that should be close to al dente (usually the step above takes 1 minute, so its just barely barely undercooked at this point) to the bowl, as well as pasta water - about half the weight of your pasta (so if you have 140 grams of pasta which is an average portion for a man, add 70 ML or just over 1/4 cup).
Use this double boiler to heat the egg and pasta mixture while stirring continuously. The pasta will soak up some of the liquid and release more starch into the mixture. After approximately 2-3 minutes, it will all come together and the starch from the pasta and the pasta water will cause a stickier carbonara sauce. Don't be surprised if nothing happens for 90 seconds, the mixture needs time to heat through in the bowl - as the egg reaches ~60 degrees Celsius, it starts to solidify rapidly, so it is quite easy to overcook it.
Note that when you think "man, that is almost perfect, maybe 20 more seconds", you should already remove it from the double boiler - the residual heat will continue the cooking process when its close to ideal.

Last edited:

captaincapital

kiwifarms.net
I love pasta as a whole. I've eaten it a lot due to having Italian in my blood.

You spend alot of time making it from scratch? Any tips for the non-sphagets?

What are everybody's tips and tricks for good fresh homemade pasta?

I've got my pasta ratio nearly perfected.

Beaten whole egg weight x 1.6 = needed flour weight (unbleached all purpose, kroger).

It worked decently for malloreddus/gnocchi (just had to lay them on a sheet while making them), but with longer pasta like fettuccine, I had trouble unraveling them, so a bit too moist. Maybe I'll try 1.8 next time.

I'm so goddamn close, guys.

Also, ratio has been changed - it's now 2x whole egg weight instead of 1.6. Now i need much less bench flour.

so now its:
(weight of beaten whole eggs x 2 ) = weight of unbleached APF needed.

my APF's about 10% protein, fyi

Stasi

kiwifarms.net
I like spaghetti aglio e olio. It's just spaghetti tossed in garlic and chili (if you like it spicy) fried in olive oil. Super simple and quick to make but very tasty.

For something so simple though it seems very controversial. Literally every video on youtube has a bunch of angry Italians in the comments screaming "thats not how youre supposed to make it you disgusting American pig" or words to that effect.

Trombonista

Super Scription of Data
Forum Staff
Global Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The most disappointing pasta I ever had was listed on the menu in a cafeteria as cavatappi carbonara but had no bacon or cream sauce. It should have been called cavatappi all'olio or cavatappi al burro (I can't remember if it had olive oil or butter).

captaincapital

kiwifarms.net
75g 00 flour, 25g semolina, 1 egg. Blitz in a food processor until it looks like bread crumbs, then knead into a ball. You now have perfect pasta dough.
I'll have to give that a try if they ever have semolina at my supermarket. I like the idea of making due with whatever is readily accessible in my neighborhood, but it would be nice to just try some 00 and semolina once in a while. Might have to go uptown.

The most disappointing pasta I ever had was listed on the menu in a cafeteria as cavatappi carbonara but had no bacon or cream sauce. It should have been called cavatappi all'olio or cavatappi al burro (I can't remember if it had olive oil or butter).

I saw "cafeteria" and automatically knew to lower the bar.

I like spaghetti aglio e olio. It's just spaghetti tossed in garlic and chili (if you like it spicy) fried in olive oil. Super simple and quick to make but very tasty.

For something so simple though it seems very controversial. Literally every video on youtube has a bunch of angry Italians in the comments screaming "thats not how youre supposed to make it you disgusting American pig" or words to that effect.

I don't focus too much on tradition, and just make what I want. Like the other day, I made ravioli with chinese dumpling filler. It was amazing.

Elysian

kiwifarms.net
Nigella Lawson’s marmite spaghetti sounds like an abomination but is actually surprisingly really good, and I say that as a person who normally hates marmite. I’m not gonna pretend it’s high brow food though; it’s basically sketti but with a small spoonful of marmite instead of copious amounts of ketchup.

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/spaghetti-with-marmite